AMD GFX USERS: Forced AA > in-game AA

+
AMD GFX USERS: Forced AA > in-game AA

Being slightly disappointed with the in-game options and having been recalcitrant over forcing it via drivers (due to past issues with performance in games) I finally just did it and forced via CCC. I was so surprised that there wasn't any noticeable performance hit at 2xEQ and 8xEQ had about 2-5 fps hit depending on location. The best part is that the game looks so much better, especially when in motion. I know this is going to be one of those things that has a very strong subjective pertinence, but I thought I'd share this find regardless.

I turned the AA to OFF in the game slider then went to the rendering.ini file (...\bin\config\base) and turned the parameter EnableTemporalAA=true to EnableTemporalAA=false. Then I went to Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and did the following:

1. Select the "Gaming" side-tab and then open the 3D Application Settings then add a new profile.
  2. Anti-Aliasing mode = OVERRIDE APPLICATION SETTINGS,
  3. Anti-Aliasing Samples = 8xEQ (i have an OC 290X 4GB, so if you have a weaker card you might have to pick a weaker setting. The difference between, for instance, 2x and 2xEQ is that in the right conditions 2xEQ can provide 4xMSAA for almost the same cost as 2xMSAA. In this case I suppose it's eg. 2xEQAMSAA)
  4. Filter = Standard
  5. Anti-Aliasing Method = Adaptive Multisampling (this is a mix of the cheaper multisampling and the much more expensive supersampling, ultimately being much better than multisampling but much cheaper than supersampling)
  6. Morphological Filtering = On (Now this will probably be a subjective thing, but I like it personally since edges seem to be softer due to pixel color blending at those edges)

Here is a screen shot of the settings:
View attachment 17526

Attachments

• Id3yGKG.png
    Id3yGKG.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 191
Top Bottom