AMD Performance Issues, Weird FPS Drops

+
Hello,

I think there are lots of posts created related to this, but I also want to share my experience too.

I have a Ryzen 3700x CPU, and RTX 3070 GPU. My monitor is 21:9, 3440x1440p monitor.

I am having serious performance issues. Naturally, I want to play this game RTX - ON, especially reflections.

And I believe that this expectation is completely rational, I've had s*** load of problems to get an RTX 3000 series card.

What I'm having is the following.

I play on RTX - Ultra setting, on DLSS Performance Mode.

In the same exact place, I am getting 45 - 50 FPS. then after some time it drops to 25 - 30 FPS. I go to main menu, then reload and it gets 45 - 50 again.

I am also having stuttering issues when RTX and DLSS on, which I am not having when they are of around the same frame rate.

RTX and DLSS makes the game feel sluggish. With 40 - 45 frames, it feels like I am playing with 25.

I also tried the famous AMD Fix going around the internet, and yes it seems like CPU is better utilized, but still having tons of stutters, FPS drops etc.

I have played the game for about 45 hours so far, yes it is good apart from loads of bugs, but performance issues made my experience extremely worse.

Please do something about these issues as soon as possible.

The first time playing the game is what makes you hate or love a game, and I am beginning to hate it even though it is obvious that there is a huge amount of passion behind it, that I really appreciate.

EDIT: One more weird issue, on almost like any game, my graphics card hits 71 degrees and stays there after some time, in this game, GPU usage from MSI Afterburner shows 99% but I never saw my GPU pass 65 degrees, it simply not drawing power compared to the other games.

Last edited:
Sounds like memory leaks or perhaps the "ai" around affect or takes up resources the longer you play. have kinda noticed this phenomenon myself. Sound start glitching, world starts glitching. i quicksave and reload and its back to normal.

Sounds like memory leaks or perhaps the "ai" around affect or takes up resources the longer you play. have kinda noticed this phenomenon myself. Sound start glitching, world starts glitching. i quicksave and reload and its back to normal.
It felt like memory leak to me too, but I am not sure, it also sometimes happens too quickly, sometimes not.

I've just discovered this and it describes the issues I'm having to a T. This was not a (noticeable) problem for me before the 1.2 patch, now suddenly I'm not able to play for longer than 10 minutes without my framerate plummeting.

I've been testing this by loading into the Cadenza market and facing the guy who sells you the Samurai record. I usually play at 1440p on Ultra with RTX on Max/Psycho and DLSS Auto and get ~55-60 fps. GPU temp stays around 70C.

If I run a circuit around that small market, my framerate will drop a little. GPU usage and core and memory clocks don't drop but I'll notice that suddenly I'm going from 70C to 65C on the GPU. CPU usage stays the same.

If I run around that circuit again my performance will drop even more. Suddenly I'll be at 50 fps max. Run around again I'll drop further to around 45 fps, before hitting what seems to be a lower limit of ~40 fps. All this time my GPU still claims to be fully utilised at max clock speeds but the temps drop low enough to kick in the 0 RPM mode on the card!

Wondering if this is a GPU issue I dropped the graphics down to the Low preset and set DLSS to Ultra Performance and I still only get ~40fps. If I save and reload this goes back to normal back up to ~140 fps on lowest settings, but the moment I run that lap again the performance decreases.

I've got a 5600X and an RTX 3070 which work perfectly fine in other games so they aren't the problem. I'm able to run Control with max settings + DLSS at ~90-100 fps so I know that the card and CPU are working fine, it's just this game. I don't think that there is a single RTX 3070 on Earth that would struggle to play Cyberpunk on the lowest settings with DLSS Ultra Performance.

I'm growing real tired of waiting for this game to work. Sure, this is one lap that I'm running over and over again but this happens basically any time I'm in one area for too long, and I can't just leave the area to fix it as once the performance drops the only fix is to save and reload. Every single time.

I use Nvidia Geforce Experience to set the game settings to optimal. I play on Ultrawide 1440p same CPU and GPU as yours. In combat situations, the FPS sometimes drops heavily. It happens randomly, although I noticed it triggering more often when I do headshots where there are a lot of particle effects that come out.

So far I've disabled the Screen Space Reflections setting and that saves a lot of FPS, but really my game was doing fine before patch 1.2... I noticed that with patch 1.2, it consumes like an extra gigabyte of VRAM.

I use Nvidia Geforce Experience to set the game settings to optimal. I play on Ultrawide 1440p same CPU and GPU as yours. In combat situations, the FPS sometimes drops heavily. It happens randomly, although I noticed it triggering more often when I do headshots where there are a lot of particle effects that come out.

So far I've disabled the Screen Space Reflections setting and that saves a lot of FPS, but really my game was doing fine before patch 1.2... I noticed that with patch 1.2, it consumes like an extra gigabyte of VRAM.
I've just uninstalled the whole thing. I just don't have time to waste on trying to get this game working

Same problem here with a Ryzen 5600X and a RTX 3070 + 32GB RAM

I pause, go to the settings, change any graphical setting (higher or lower, no importance) and then the game runs without any fps drop.

Bad handling of RAM and VRAM I guess.

Exactly the same issues, Ryzen 5600X, RTX 3070, 32 GB RAM.

Quickloading or restarting the game helps. The issue seems to be somehow related to loading in new assets. For example, a long car ride might cause the FPS to tank, but reloading fixes it instantly. Entering Lizzies bar caused this once, but once I quicksaved and reloaded everything was fine again.

I'm positive patch 1.2 introduced a performance regression due to memory management issues. VRAM usage is 1.5-2x higher than before. With an 8gb vram on my 3070 rtx, the game is using 7.9 gb of ram. When I move to certain areas or drive real fast, the FPS will hit 30 from 55. Maybe it is trying to do garbage collection because there isn't enough memory and that is causing stress. Either way it looks like they have some fundamental issues with their streaming engine that was causing stability issues, and the way they fixed it was by pre-loading more stuff into memory, but then it has problem trying to clear it... If I save, restart the game, reload save, FPS would stabilize again. Probably this issue is not prevalent when playing on 1080p, but when playing on 1440p, it is very noticeable and I don't enjoy playing the game anymore...

I'm positive patch 1.2 introduced a performance regression due to memory management issues. VRAM usage is 1.5-2x higher than before. With an 8gb vram on my 3070 rtx, the game is using 7.9 gb of ram. When I move to certain areas or drive real fast, the FPS will hit 30 from 55. Maybe it is trying to do garbage collection because there isn't enough memory and that is causing stress. Either way it looks like they have some fundamental issues with their streaming engine that was causing stability issues, and the way they fixed it was by pre-loading more stuff into memory, but then it has problem trying to clear it... If I save, restart the game, reload save, FPS would stabilize again. Probably this issue is not prevalent when playing on 1080p, but when playing on 1440p, it is very noticeable and I don't enjoy playing the game anymore...
that's a bit on nvidia. they simply shouldn't have gimped that much vram. i'm also in the same boat and having huge frame drops from time to time. restarting the game helps but the issue comes back, sooner or later

Last edited:
that's a bit on nvidia. they simply shouldn't have gimped that much vram. i'm also in the same boat and having huge frame drops from time to time. restarting the game helps but the issue comes back, sooner or later
It is not fair to blame it on the hardware, 8gb is plenty for 1440p, obviously I would not use it for 4k.

Cyberpunk is very memory sensitive so i think the lays the problem!
Also Ryzen profits from faster ram speeds and timings very much, it makes a huge difference!

Maybe the 8GB from the GPU isn't enough!

Yes RTX puts more tax on memory consumption, but 8gb is enough for 1440p... I've booted up patch 1.21 and it's looking promising. I have many save files in different places that exhibit FPS drops and they don't occur anymore. I also noticed memory usage has decreased by about 700mb on average.

Got 32GB and I experience FPS drops, installing 1.21 to see if I see improvement

EDIT: It's definitely better :) No more weird FPS drops !

Last edited:
Top Bottom