AMD Radeon 6000 ray tracing when?

+
My AMD Radeon RX 6800 does support DirectX 12 Ultimate ray tracing. I can play Control, Metro Exodus, and Quake II RTX very well at 1080p/70hz. Why can't I enable ray tracing in Cyberpunk 2077 with this GPU?

Before the game launched there was an interview with an Nvidia employee who said he was not aware of any reason why Cyberpunk would be locked in to Nvidia's RTX only.

I assume the "free next-gen upgrade" coming later in 2021 for PS5 and XboXSX will include ray tracing for the Radeon 6000 GPUs used in those consoles, so the PC version will probably get Radeon ray tracing support at that time (Metro Exodus is basically doing this, although their Nvidia-optimized PC ray tracing was allowed to work on Radeon PCs from the start, they have said their free next-gen upgrade will improve performance).

Has there actually been any word on this from CDPR? I can't find anything at all to indicate why ray tracing does not work on Radeon 6000, or whether it is ever going to work on non-Nvidia GPUs (Intel will be launching their own ray tracing gaming GPUs too, eventually).

I haven't been this disappointed in my hardware choices since I bought a Geforce 4 MX before the launch of Deus Ex: Invisible war. It was the only Geforce 4 model without pixel shader support (because it was really an overclocked Geforce 2) and Invisible War was the first PC game that would not run without pixel shaders :(

I'm playing on a 3080, RT is not that amazing a visual upgrade from rasterized, to be honest. It's slightly nicer, but not amazingly better than ultra settings with RT off. And without DLSS or the equivalent it will totally tank your fps.

Patch 1.2 — list of changes​

- Enabled Ray Tracing on AMD graphics cards

:D
Can you please provide a new screenshot with raytracing on your 6800 of the exact scene from your previous post? I think it would be interesting to see the difference now.

I just want to say thank you CDPR, Cyberpunk 2077 now looks amazing on the gaming PC I built 5 months ago just to play this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom