An honest, unbiased review of Cyberpunk Edgerunners by someone who doesn't watch anime [SPOILER FREE]

+
So, I've finally finished watching Cyberpunk Edgerunners (english version) and I both loved and hated every second of it.

Ok, I should probably mention that I CANNOT STAND ANIME... calm down, put the pitchforks and torches down - I hate the animations, lipsincing(or lack thereof) and just general art style, I hate how an animated show made in 2022 looks the same or worse than one that came out in the 90's and many other things. I don't hate the concept of anime, don't take it personally, I'm not here to judge anyone who does enjoy anime, this is just my opinion.

Of course though, anime means different things to different people. For me, I’ve never quite appreciated the style, but I can appreciate that other people find something very interesting about it.

But why do mainstream westerners don't like anime? I think I have some ideas about why that might be.
Anime’s kawaii aesthetic gives it a reputation as childish and for kids - in the West this is not respected. It is associated with otaku culture. Generally, obsessiveness is correlated with geekiness or nerdiness, both generally looked down-upon in Western culture. East Asian culture is generally very foreign to most Westerners, so some may have suspicion of those who want to get involved with it - its foreign and therefore carries a connotation of danger because young people are getting interested in something they don’t understand. As an extension of kawaii, there are certain things represented in anime that may be seen as a strange, disturbing fetish, things such as LOLI girls for example, but not only.

THAT BEING SAID, if you're like me and don't like anime I encourage you to watch Edgerunners anyway because if you enjoyed the game even a little bit, you're gonna find common ground with this anime.

Alright, enough about my dislike of anime. Is the show any good? or is all the hype just the cummulative gushing of all weebs around the world. As stated above I watched the english version and I see some people online insisting the japanese one is better, but I don't speak japanese and I cannot stand focusing on reading subtitles when I could instead be focused on the action happening on screen, absorbing every little detail, every passing easter egg that might only appear for a moment on screen and its just more relaxing not having to read subtitles.

The english voice acting ranges from comically bad to acceptable and I don't know whats up with David's voice actor, but the guy sounds constipated and permanently on the verge of taking a shit, initially its funny but eventually it becomes quite distracting. Voice acting aside most sound effects are spot on and those who come from playing the game will instantly recognise certain sound effect such as holo calls ringtone, crosswalk prompts and many more. The soundtrack, although not my cup of tea, is Cyberpunk to the core and I can appreciate the effort made by Studio Trigger to bring original soundtracks to the series with one notable exception, the intro track sounds like something out of a 90's sitcom and to me seemed out of place.

As for the story, there's not much I can say without delving into spoiler territory. The main protagonist David's story is a familiar one, a street kid down on his luck and forced into a life of crime by time and circumstance. Where in Cyberpunk 2077 V's ascent into the criminal underworld is explored in a 5 minute montage, it takes David about 5-6 episodes to fully break bad. Tonally it is very mature, gory, graphic and its nice to see Trigger not holding back on the mature themes. There are comical moments but they never outshine the fact this is Night City a brutal, unforgiving and hyper capitalist hell hole. Edgerunners introduces alot of characters, gangs and locations in Night City and for someone who hasn't played the game could become tough to keep track of everything going on screen, but I think the story of David and Lucy is the backbone that holds the rest of the show upright.

Visually the show was stunning to look at, and by show I mean the static backdrop that is NIGHT CITY itself, it reminds me more of something out of Arcane. The characters themselves look really cartoony and one of the reasons I can't stand anime. It is what it is. And yes I am gonna simp a bit for Arcane, because its the closest animation in art style to Edgerunners I've watched in the past 20 years.

Why do I love Arcane? The characters, the story, the animation and art style and the music. It is difficult to have a diverse set of characters and still allow each one of them to shine. Arcane impressively allows all their characters to have their moments. Arcane’s opening theme song is "Enemy" by Imagine Dragons. It is glorious, to say the least. Imagine Dragons are well-known for their album Origins, which topped the charts in 2018. Arcane’s animation design is unique and stunning. It’s actually one of the things about the show that blew me away. The attention to detail on the characters as well as the environment around them is unlike any I’ve seen before. . That, coupled with the voice acting, makes the scenes feel undeniably real. This is all made possible through the remarkable effort by Fortiche, a creative production company situated in Paris and Montpellier. The environment as well as the characters are meticulously hand-painted and animated digitally thus the paint look. Watching Arcane feels like watching a masterpiece painting in motion and for that, the Studio deserves all the praise it has been getting. What makes a good story? In my opinion, it’s the ability to evoke emotions from the audience as while keeping the story as interesting as possible. Arcane does this exceptionally well.

Last animated "anything" I watched prior to Arcane was about 20 years ago. I don't play League of Legends, I knew nothing about its lore or characters and I honestly couldn't unglue myself from the screen, It was THAT good. If you make an animated series that can enthrall a jaded man like myself who doesn't watch animated content at all, you know you've got something good. And something good it is, evidenced by the fact that it took SIX YEARS to make. If you want to see just how much time, effort and skill went into making it, I recomend watching Arcane: Bridging the Rift, a sorft of "making of" series on LoL Youtube channel.

Anyway enough of me simping for Arcane. Honestly when I finished Cyberpunk 2077 I though to myself "God, imagine an animted series with Arcane's arty style and animation quality" and before I even finished having the thought, CDPR comes out of nowhere with Cyberpunk Edgerunners announcement, almost out of nowhere and my next thought was "anime? really... #sadface". I would of prefered live action, although with woke Hollywood being what it is if I had to choose between watching a butchered live action take and Studio Triggers Edgerunners, I'll take the anime.

In conclusion, if you're like me and you don't like anime watch it anyway, don't let the fact that its anime stop you from enjoying a good Cyberpunk standalone story. And if you agree with me leave a RED Point and if you disagree, oh well.

I don't agree with everything, but for enjoying Edgerunners and really loved Arcane, you deserve one no matter what :giggle:
(Arcane visuals are outstanding for me at least, but if I remember, it took to Fortiche, 5 or 6 years to realize the first season...)

Hmm. Everybody is entitled too there opinion and people have diffrent preferences so i can kinda see where your coming from. I havent watched Edgerunners or Arcane so cant really speak on those, the trailer kinda put me off from watching. Its partly the artstyle and the fast action and so on. Not really my thing nowdays..

When it comes too how anime looks the same as in the 90s, it kinda depends on the studio making the anime imo. Some studios has a specific artstyle that i Like/hate and so on. Kyoto animation is one of my all time favorites and has some very good art for example. Anime/manga is pretty popular in the west also, they regulary beat out comic books in the us on top seller lists for example.

Dubbing is something i never watch (part of why lip syncing is so odd at times) i allways watch in in japanese with english subtitles.

Hmm. Everybody is entitled too there opinion and people have diffrent preferences so i can kinda see where your coming from. I havent watched Edgerunners or Arcane so cant really speak on those, the trailer kinda put me off from watching. Its partly the artstyle and the fast action and so on. Not really my thing nowdays..

When it comes too how anime looks the same as in the 90s, it kinda depends on the studio making the anime imo. Some studios has a specific artstyle that i Like/hate and so on. Kyoto animation is one of my all time favorites and has some very good art for example. Anime/manga is pretty popular in the west also, they regulary beat out comic books in the us on top seller lists for example.

Dubbing is something i never watch (part of why lip syncing is so odd at times) i allways watch in in japanese with english subtitles.
Well, if you can compartmentalize the fact that its an anime and the character animations suck, lip sinc is non existent and the english voice acting ranges from comical to decent, the actual CYBERPUNK content part of the anime is worth watching. Also episodes are really short, like 20 mins so you don't have to binge watch if you feel like your eyes are being violated by the anime art style.

As for Arcane, I can't recomend it enough, I honestly did not except it to hook me so hard but the problem is that Arcane's art style is UNIQUE and by unique I mean I haven't seen any other animated series with its art style.

As for Arcane, I can't recomend it enough, I honestly did not except it to hook me so hard but the problem is that Arcane's art style is UNIQUE and by unique I mean I haven't seen any other animated series with its art style.
Yea ive heard alot of praise about Arcane. I might give it a go someday.. Now days im allways behind my anime playlists :D Comes out too much good anime and i dont have time too watch all day anymore ;)

I have the same towards anime as you describe. But also like you, I would watch this because ... well: Cyberpunk 2077 :)
But I can't watch it since I don't have Netflix.
From your point of view, do I miss out things in the game now that are Edgerunners related? Or is it just a case of playing it like I normal do, stumble across something and just not knowing if it's Edgerunners related or not?

I have the same towards anime as you describe. But also like you, I would watch this because ... well: Cyberpunk 2077 :)
But I can't watch it since I don't have Netflix.
From your point of view, do I miss out things in the game now that are Edgerunners related? Or is it just a case of playing it like I normal do, stumble across something and just not knowing if it's Edgerunners related or not?
Edgerunners is a prequel set in CP2077s Night City and yes, in patch 1.6 CDPR added a bunch of weapons, easter eggs and a jacket from the anime, so yes if you play it normally you will stumble across these things you just won't know what they are.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't judge all anime by what you saw in this, it's Triggers style of animation. It can be off putting and it's one of the reasons I couldn't make it through the series. And to clarify, I am someone who watches anime, so the moment Trigger was announced I was worried.

I haven't seen arcane because the last time ppl threw around "masterpiece" was Demon Slayer and that was a disappointment. People call everything a masterpiece when it's their first time experiencing certain themes. But maybe eventually I'll check out Arcane

At risk of sounding like a sweaty otaku and rushing to anime's defence, I've got to ask if you have you considered influential Japanese animations like Akira, Mamoru Oshii's Patlabor/Perfect Blue/Ghost in the Shell (1995) or cyberpunk OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis, Cyber City Oedo 808 or Megazone 23? I promise they're a world away from whatever modern, popular, fetishized/kawaii anime is.

I ask because if you liked Edgerunners, you just might find some common ground with something like Cyber City too.

In conclusion, if you're like me and you don't like anime watch it anyway, don't let the fact that its anime stop you from enjoying a good Cyberpunk standalone story. And if you agree with me leave a RED Point and if you disagree, oh well.
I have watched some of it as well and share the majority of your views. I'm not an anime fan either, I did however like Arcane very much. But Anime most of the time always comes off as if they are using too few frames, so it often appears to be stop motion, or they will only animate the exact person talking or whatever, and everyone else just stands like frozen frames in the background.

And then in general, I can't stand the over-the-top expression many of these anime characters have.

But I think it's great that so many people like it, but had it been in the Arcane style I would definitely have enjoyed it.

Also not sure if they are intentionally having a bit of fun with Cyberpunk and some of the criticism it got, given that there is a fairly high degree of sexual BDs and other stuff going on, which they are clearly not shy of showing, and you have the guy driving the metro etc. :)

while edgerunner anime was good, it was massively predictable.
As soon as I saw the main character and family scene I knew his mother was going to die and when the main character met the big dude I knew the main character would turn out just like the big guy and die aswell.
It is night city after all.

Maybe watching Japanese version will be better.

I used to watch anime as a kid, but put it off once I realized how much of it usually repeats itself.

I have watched Edgerunners, and its excellent. Just about best possible PR for CP2077.
I watch it with original language, cause I know how bad the voiceover can be, but at the same time, Im put off by the fact that it has american characters speaking Japanese in USA.

But at the same time, there is this strange nostalgy effect, as 80s, 90s and 2000s had a huge amount of cyberpunk themed anime and manga and it was equally excellent. In fact my profile image is from one (AD Police) It can naturally be mentioned in the same breath as cyberpunk 2020 universe. It existed at the same time.

Top Bottom