An idea for improving GWENT

+
Here's my idea of improving GWENT:

You can't pass.

What this is meant to improve:

Card advantage.

After I thought of posting on this topic, it did occur to me to relate this to MTG. Even though MTG sucks more as a card game than GWENT, at least you don't have to think:

"My God! I'm going to lose card advantage!" or "God! I hope I get final say!".

That now actually seems a strength of MTG. I'm not a good player of MTG but as I remember, no game really ran long enough for someone to have the last card to play and maybe snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

If this was implemented, I suppose you could allow people to have a deck of 30 cards. So, that's 10 cards per round. You could mulligan, of course.

Less bs units or mechanics would also be welcome. So you don't get what happens often now, where someone now with a two card advantage in the final round, maybe double figure points in front that round, gets smashed by an opponent.

The balance sucks.

Edit:

This occurred to me today: maybe you could have pre-arranged cards for each stage of the match, which you would be able to swap after matches, as you trouble-shooted.

Maybe round scores could also be taken into account in order to determine winners...something that was a generally fair way to determine a winner of the match.

Last edited:
To me the strategy of playing three rounds with one limited deck is the best feature of Gwent. We’re it to substantively change, I would quit the same day — and boycott CDPR the rest of my life.

I feel like this would make tutoring even worse, as you would have to have more tutors to offset a poor round 1 draw (especially if you drew your round 3 cards in the wrong round).

Sounds like a bad idea, I already don't like the with Homecoming introduced 10 card Handlimit change which removed round 1 dry passes and practically allows you to go down to 4 Cards in round 1 to catch up if the opponent passes earlier with a comfortable lead and still having 10 Card's available in the third round.

Last edited:
Passing is an important part of the strategy aspect of the game; removing it would be seriously dumbing down the game.

I mentioned in my first post that this "strategy" doesn't even work often in the game. To add to my first post: often you play against people with decks who laugh in the face of this "strategy" because it doesn't apply to them. They'll push hard in round two and be down at least one card for the final round, not have final say and...they'll shit all over you in the final round.

Today I lost a game when I had a three card advantage in the final round. Against a bs Nil deck.

That says it all about the balance issues in GWENT.
Post automatically merged:

Sounds like a bad idea, I already don't like the with Homecoming introduced 10 card Handlimit change which removed round 1 dry passes and practically allows you to go down to 4 Cards in round 1 to catch up if the opponent passes earlier with a comfortable lead and still having 10 Card's available in the third round.

I don't like it when players catch-up to you after you pass and they get down to four cards in round 1. If you had to play 10 cards for the first two rounds, then I think that would effect that strategy, as there isn't a really a "catch-up" round where they dry pass in round 2.

Anyway, I often resorted to using that tactic of winning round 1 after the opponent passes and going down to four cards, if I'm lucky. I don't like doing that.

I feel like this would make tutoring even worse, as you would have to have more tutors to offset a poor round 1 draw (especially if you drew your round 3 cards in the wrong round).

I edited my initial post. Just coming up with suggestions. A lot of people complain about the matchmaking. Often the suggestions are to nerf units or factions. When my Nil poison deck got continually hammered some months ago, there were posts on these boards saying that poison was OP and should be nerfed. Unbelievable. I've been playing poison a lot recently and after a good run of a few days, a few days ago, it's back to being a consistent loser, due to the decks that I'm facing.

I'd say that something needs to be done. I'm trying to think of something beyond nerfing a unit or nerfing a faction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom