An interview with Konrad Tomaszkiewicz. -English Translation-

+
Senteria said:

/>

C'mon, he is absolutely right. Democracy is fun and all, but it is a luxury. When a team (or country) is under a lot of stress, and time constrains, endless arguing and voting is a way to doom. That's why countries have an option of martial law, and CDPR - Konrad Tomaszkiewicz.

vivaxardas said:
C'mon, he is absolutely right. Democracy is fun and all, but it is a luxury. When a team (or country) is under a lot of stress, and time constrains, endless arguing and voting is a way to doom. That's why countries have an option of martial law, and CDPR - Konrad Tomaszkiewicz. />

I know. I like cdpr's approach to a lot of things. I know why Sapkowski doesn't want to read any lines or hear about the story. He does not want to get influenced by the game in writing in case he writes a new story. About the skyrim thing. It has a lot of backgroundstory but I hate to be forced to read pages and pages of text when PLAYING a GAME. If I wanted to read, I'd grab a book. With having said that, I never read any journal in the Witcher games. I am going to do that for the first time when I reach the end of my current playthrough. Just because I am a fan and like the story.

This is the best fucking interview I've read.
And sincerely big kudos to the OP for translating the entire thing!

vivaxardas said:
Good interview. I like his approach to the whole Sapkowski vs. CDPR thing. Sapkowski disagrees that CDPR continue his story well? Let him first write a new story about Geralt, and the better one at that. Hah-ha, won't make old Anjei happy. Canon or no canon? Like with a religious canon, it is always a matter of decision, and not something that is just inherent in the work itself. And it should exist first, before decision can even be made. Sure Sapkowski's own new story is no canon simply because it does not exist at all.

In an interview I attended to several years ago, he commented he didn´t plan on changing the ending, so I don´t think he´ll make a sequel even if he returns to the world. Not with Geralt at least. That day he was sober, by the way.

Interesting that he still helped them with the setting though. Pity we won´t know what he´d think of resetting the Geralt - Yenn ending and throwing him into Triss´s bed.

IsengrimR

darcler said:
Well, the last time he as much as mentioned Skyrim being generic to a western journalist, there were reactions like this ;)/>

"Oh but if I care about the NPC that follows me, then it's not generic" - that pretty much sums up that article. I played Skyrim, I like Skyrim and I married the damn Lydia, issue is that it doesn't really matter as most followers act the bloody same, just with different VA ( if they are lucky ) and different looks. - And that's totally not a generic part... riiight?
Let's play Skyrim and swear playing CoD everybody!
I have no more doubts why most gaming companies treat us like morons...
Seems like this forum is one of the few places with gamers that use their brains and have a bit of self-respect.

darcler said:
Good interview. I like his approach to the whole Sapkowski vs. CDPR thing. Sapkowski disagrees that CDPR continue his story well? Let him first write a new story about Geralt, and the better one at that. Hah-ha, won't make old Anjei happy. Canon or no canon? Like with a religious canon, it is always a matter of decision, and not something that is just inherent in the work itself. And it should exist first, before decision can even be made. Sure Sapkowski's own new story is no canon simply because it does not exist at all.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjE2sxCQ_rU[/media]
- that's how I feel this Sapkowski vs. CDPR situation looks at the moment... This interview was like "I accept" from CPDR :p At least that's how I see it.
Sapkowski is kind of a dick, and if you ask me his time of creating good books has passed. His last book "The Viper" left a seriously bitter taste after reading it. His writing is not what is used to be.

Anyway, loved the interview.

Great interview! It took me a while to read it, but definitely worth it, thanks for posting

I just loved where Tomaszkiewicz says what he thinks about western game industries, (I absolutely agree) and how things work in CDPR's company. :D

About Sapkowski's thoughts about the game,I don't think he said that any game can't tell a good story, I think he was referring to The Witcher with "A book is a book and a game can't ever continue or rework it well" and not to every game, at least that's what I've understood.
In fact I remember an interview where he was asked(again) about it
Interview

Fiction — is a kind of novel that lets the writer address the questions of current interest for society. Nilfgaard can be compared to Napoleonian France, Northern Kingdoms are similar to European monarchies resisting Bonaparte’s revolution, and so on. Why do you deny the videogame version of Witcher as another way to express thoughts put into original book series?

Myself I imagined Nilfgaard rather as Rome with its pax romana, Northern Kingdoms as Gauls or Britons, but your paralell could work as well. As to the video game: I don't deny it antyhing, in answer to such charge I plead not guilty. There is — nor was — no conflict between me and the game people. But sometimes I have to answer questions: is the game a sequel to the «Witcher Cycle», the sequel I have neglected to write? Or: will my new book be a continuation of the game? My answer is: no way, it is not and it will not. A book is the book, a game is the game. The video game is an adaptation, nothing else. It has nothing in common with my writing, with my storytelling. Under no circumstances may the game be considered a continuation of my books. The books and the game are two entirely different media. Different entities. Any mixing, mingling or blending is not allowed.

However I think that CDPR's work on the video game is fantastic, and they CAN tell a story :) Keep going!

We make them the same as they are in the books, but give them new experiences at the same time. A traumatic experience can change character's nature for example, and that's a literary device we sometimes use.
On our forums there's a group of players, who point out any inconsistencies with the books. Those guys are usually insufferable
Pretty relevant to a certain recent discussion on Yennefer vs Triss, don't you agree book purists?

Synvael said:
Great interview! It took me a while to read it, but definitely worth it, thanks for posting />/>

Fiction — is a kind of novel that lets the writer address the questions of current interest for society. Nilfgaard can be compared to Napoleonian France, Northern Kingdoms are similar to European monarchies resisting Bonaparte’s revolution, and so on. Why do you deny the videogame version of Witcher as another way to express thoughts put into original book series?

Myself I imagined Nilfgaard rather as Rome with its pax romana, Northern Kingdoms as Gauls or Britons, but your paralell could work as well. As to the video game: I don't deny it antyhing, in answer to such charge I plead not guilty. There is — nor was — no conflict between me and the game people. But sometimes I have to answer questions: is the game a sequel to the «Witcher Cycle», the sequel I have neglected to write? Or: will my new book be a continuation of the game? My answer is: no way, it is not and it will not. A book is the book, a game is the game. The video game is an adaptation, nothing else. It has nothing in common with my writing, with my storytelling. Under no circumstances may the game be considered a continuation of my books. The books and the game are two entirely different media. Different entities. Any mixing, mingling or blending is not allowed. [/spoiler]

Thanks, man. I was kind of tired to argue that Nilfgaard was never presented as the Empire of Evil, like Mordor, or in Star Wars, or even Nazi Germany, but always had this strong Roman vibe. Good to have an official confirmation from Sapkowski himself on this.

This was a really great interview! Thanks for sharing. The more I read what the guys at CDPR have to say the more I love 'em. They are the perfect game developers.

ViZ7 said:
He also said in other interviews that, for him, a game can't tell a story, and that playing a game is a waste of time.^^

really? oh well, i guess he's not too fond of games at all then lol

Synvael said:
Great interview! It took me a while to read it, but definitely worth it, thanks for posting />

I just loved where Tomaszkiewicz says what he thinks about western game industries, (I absolutely agree) and how things work in CDPR's company. :D/>

About Sapkowski's thoughts about the game,I don't think he said that any game can't tell a good story, I think he was referring to The Witcher with "A book is a book and a game can't ever continue or rework it well" and not to every game, at least that's what I've understood.
In fact I remember an interview where he was asked(again) about it
Interview

Myself I imagined Nilfgaard rather as Rome with its pax romana, Northern Kingdoms as Gauls or Britons, but your paralell could work as well. As to the video game: I don't deny it antyhing, in answer to such charge I plead not guilty. There is — nor was — no conflict between me and the game people. But sometimes I have to answer questions: is the game a sequel to the «Witcher Cycle», the sequel I have neglected to write? Or: will my new book be a continuation of the game? My answer is: no way, it is not and it will not. A book is the book, a game is the game. The video game is an adaptation, nothing else. It has nothing in common with my writing, with my storytelling. Under no circumstances may the game be considered a continuation of my books. The books and the game are two entirely different media. Different entities. Any mixing, mingling or blending is not allowed.

However I think that CDPR's work on the video game is fantastic, and they CAN tell a story :)/> Keep going!

No no, that was in another interview that he said games can't tell good stories. He even said only books can, meaning also that, according to him, movies can't tell good stories either.^^

Yes, great interview.. but, why there is no mention of the original source of this interview? .. Ok, i know this so, it's from Czech gaming magazine LEVEL and issue with this interview came out in August 2013.. just for clarification :)/>

P.S. what did he meant with "Our sales on consoles are bigger, that's true..".. of which sales is he talking about?

ViZ7 said:
No no, that was in another interview that he said games can't tell good stories. He even said only books can, meaning also that, according to him, movies can't tell good stories either.^^

Yes. Spakowski meant that a good story is made with the free imagination of readers, an option which games or movies or comics lack it. So nothing can be compare to a good written book story, no matter how many visual effects you can add it. That's the magic of reading.

Wichat said:
Yes. Spakowski meant that a good story is made with the free imagination of readers, an option which games or movies or comics lack it. So nothing can be compare to a good written book story, no matter how many visual effects you can add it. That's the magic of reading.

Oh I absolutely agree with that fact, but it is simply not true that we can't have movies or games telling us good stories, Sapkowski is simply close-minded on that point.^^
(To clarify, I understand that writing is probably the best way of telling a story, and I kind of agree with that, but games or movies can definitely do so, and that's where I absolutely disagree with my favourite fictional universe creator's statement.)

ViZ7 said:
Oh I absolutely agree with that fact, but it is simply not true that we can't have movies or games telling us good stories, Sapkowski is simply close-minded on that point.^^
(To clarify, I understand that writing is probably the best way of telling a story, and I kind of agree with that, but games or movies can definitely do so, and that's where I absolutely disagree with my favourite fictional universe creator's statement.)

Well, I only read the english translation of this interview, so I cannot be sure about the real context of Spakowski words. I know how hard is to give a real image to an abtract one, I only can agree that CDPR made with The Witcher a little miracle. ;)/>

vivaxardas said:
Thanks, man. I was kind of tired to argue that Nilfgaard was never presented as the Empire of Evil, like Mordor, or in Star Wars, or even Nazi Germany, but always had this strong Roman vibe. Good to have an official confirmation from Sapkowski himself on this.
You're welcome :D Also, I think that interview is pretty interesting too, with a lot of info and good topics.

vivaxardas said:

vivaxardas said:
Yes. Sapkowski meant that a good story is made with the free imagination of readers, an option which games or movies or comics lack it. So nothing can be compare to a good written book story, no matter how many visual effects you can add it. That's the magic of reading.

vivaxardas said:

I know what interview are you talking about, the one from Eurogamer US, aren't you? :D Well, it was a translation of a interview written in polish, there was already a topic in which was claimed that the article is a bit lost in translation. He didn't despise games or movies, or comics, to him they completely are different media, because they tell a story in another way. I don't agree they can't tell a good story, but I agree with his point of view: a book is a book, it's totally different.
In another interview he said that The Witcher games' atmosphere is loyal to the books (perhaps it's the same interview we are talking about), he somewhat accepts them as they are, but for him maybe they can't tell a good Witcher story (I do not agree) not beacuse he despises them but because the games are, indeed, a different media and, most of all, they are non canon because he's not behind them, they can only be a fan fiction, a good adaptation, I've never read something like "this game sucks".

And for him saying that video games can be a waste of time, well what can you say? He's an old school guy, what can you pretend? He's close-minded about this, I agree.
My father doesn't like games either. :p

However CDPR is proving to give us be a great "fan-fiction" and, as Witchat says, it's a miracle, so we must thank them for doing that, they work with passion, and OP post proves that.

Oh God, it took like forever. °_° I should write more often in english, but I'm always afraid to do that, I don't want to make mistakes.

Synvael said:
You're welcome :D/> Also, I think that interview is pretty interesting too, with a lot of info and good topics.

I know what interview are you talking about, the one from Eurogamer US, aren't you? :D/>/> Well, it was a translation of a interview written in polish, there was already a topic in which was claimed that the article is a bit lost in translation. He didn't despise games or movies, or comics, to him they completely are different media, because they tell a story in another way. I don't agree they can't tell a good story, but I agree with his point of view: a book is a book, it's totally different.
In another interview he said that The Witcher games' atmosphere is loyal to the books perhaps it's the same interview we are talking about), he somewhat accepts them as they are, but for him maybe they can't tell a good Witcher story (I do not agree)not beacuse he despises them but because the games are, indeed, a different media and most of all, they are non canon because he's not behind them. They can only be a fan fiction, a good adaptation, I've never read something like "this game sucks".

And for him saying that video games can be a waste of time, well what can you say? He's an old school guy, you can pretend . He's close-minded about this, I agree.
My father doesn't like games either. :p/>

However CDPR is proving to give us be a great "fan-fiction" and, as Witchat says, it's a miracle, so we must thank them for doing that, they work with passion, and OP post proves that.

Oh God, it took like forever. °_° I should write more often in english, but I've always afraid to do that, I don't want to make mistakes. />

Yeah I understand what you mean, that interview was a translation, there can be mistakes or a lack of accuracy towards his statements. Moreover, I'm clearly more the type of person to not say anything when I'm not sure about it rather than just risking saying something completely missing the point. The reason why I was expressing these conclusions is because of Sapkowski's attitude towards these subjects in several interviews are the same, so...
But yeah I clearly understand what you mean and I agree, this may not be very accurate. I'd like to see the point of view of someone who read it in Polish.^^

ViZ7 said:
Yeah I understand what you mean, that interview was a translation, there can be mistakes or a lack of accuracy towards his statements. Moreover, I'm clearly more the type of person to not say anything when I'm not sure about it rather than just risking saying something completely missing the point. The reason why I was expressing these conclusions is because of Sapkowski's attitude towards these subjects in several interviews are the same, so...
But yeah I clearly understand what you mean and I agree, this may not be very accurate. I'd like to see the point of view of someone who read it in Polish.^^
A discussion on Sapkowski's statements (including the ones published by Eurogamer.pl) you can find here: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35155-is-it-true-polcon-2012/.

Top Bottom