An open letter to CD Projekt, or Why I Cancelled My Preorder Over DRM

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
An open letter to CD Projekt, or Why I Cancelled My Preorder Over DRM

I have been eagerly looking forward to The Witcher 2 for quite some time; it was easily my most anticipated game of the year (well, apart from TESV, but that's way off). I've had it preordered off amazon for months. I even upgraded my PC to be able to play it, comforted by the fact CD Projekt has in the past made numerous statements about how they wouldn't put DRM in their retail releases. And now, that has changed.http://www.thewitcher.com/images/newsletter/TW2_FAQ_April2011.pdfWhy you would go back on your word after so many statements slamming DRM, I don't know. But I do know this: I refuse to buy any game with any form of DRM, be it Steam, online activation, limited installs, or whatever. You are only punishing the consumer with this sort of nonsense. Pirates get around it within days, if not hours. The reason cited in the above-linked press release, to ensure the first people playing the game are those who paid for it, is complete nonsense. How many games with DRM have been pirated before they were even released? Tons. At the very latest games are cracked the day of release, which ensures pirates get to play on the same day. So the excuse given in the press release is utter hogwash.Online activation in particular angers me, as it potentially hampers the consumer from installing their game a few years down the road. Sure, CD Projekt is doing well now, but any number of things could happen in the future. Game companies go bankrupt all the time. They get swallowed up by larger companies that drop support for older titles. Servers go down, as do phone lines. Natural disasters happen. There are a million things that could happen that could cause someone to be unable to activate their game. As such, having any form of online activation for a single player game is completely unacceptable. If I buy a retail copy of a single player game, I should be able to put the disc in my computer, install it, and play it. Period. I shouldn't have to register, I shouldn't have to go online. You claim in your letter "registering legal copies will be problem free" - I don't care. It's the principle of the matter. Contrary to what publishers and developers might think, once I buy a piece of software, I own that copy of the software.If the tone of this post is angry, well, it's because I am angry. Furious, is more like it. This kind of crap is why I play on consoles more and more. I know when I put a game in my xbox or whatever that it'll play without these kinds of problems. Companies claim DRM is to punish pirates, but it's not, at least not completely; it's really about squashing the used resale market. After all, games with DRM can't be traded in and resold.Congratulations on your hypocrisy, CD Projekt. You just lost a sale, as well as a supporter.

one time activation isn't drm, therefore they didn't break their promise./end threadalso...people who buy consoles and console games do more damage to pc gaming than any kind of drm ever will.

DarthVillainous said:
Congratulations on your hypocrisy, CD Projekt. You just lost a sale, as well as a supporter.
Don't worry i'm buying the game twice so nobody cares.

goopit

Forum veteran
didn't they do the EXACT SAME THING with TW1 they put a little DRM and removed it like a week after?

@OP The DRM used in TW2 feels ok to me personally, but I respect your decision. And hey, you can still buy the game later, when it's removed :)

How many effing times does this have to be explained? They don't have full control over DRM unless you buy from GoG. GoG is DRM free. Again: GoG is DRM free.Don't like it? Go buy games from Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. Better yet, just go play games on your funbox.

slimgrin said:
Again: GoG is DRM free.
No, I'm afraid it's not. The need to register the game in order to get patches for it is very much a form of DRM, no matter what CDP might say.

slimgrin said:
How many effing times does this have to be explained? They don't have full control over DRM unless you buy from GoG. GoG is DRM free. Again: GoG is DRM free.Don't like it? Go buy games from Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. Better yet, just go play games on your funbox.
Plainly you didn't read my post, as it was clear I was talking about the retail version of the game. And how do they not have "full control" over DRM? Because some publisher wanted to include it? I'm sorry, that doesn't cut it. They're the developer of a best-selling game; they have the power in their relationship with any publisher. If they didn't want DRM, they could have made it happen.And to all those fools who keep bashing me because I (gasp!) happened to even mention console games, I say: grow up.

Kodaemon said:
Kodaemon said:
No, I'm afraid it's not. The need to register the game in order to get patches for it is very much a form of DRM, no matter what CDP might say.
No, it isn't. DRM denotes access control that permits you to access software already in your possession. Registering in order to receive software you don't already have is merely common courtesy.

GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
No, it isn't. DRM denotes access control that permits you to access software already in your possession. Registering in order to receive software you don't already have is merely common courtesy.
Sorry, I call BS on this. When you a buy a product, there is inherent in that purchase a right to service. You buy a car, it breaks down within a reasonable time frame, the car company fixes it. You buy a DVD, it doesn't work, you get it exchanged. In this case, you buy a game, there are bugs (as there will be), you have a right to patches that fix those bugs.Also, to the guy who said one-time activation isn't DRM, how is it not? That is, by its very definition, DRM; limiting the customer's access to the product they legitimately bought.

Kodaemon said:
Kodaemon said:
How else would you expect to get patches? OP: buy the game on GoG. Burn a hardcopy. Problem solved.

Kodaemon said:
Kodaemon said:
Yes that is true, the patching system is a form of DRM for GOG buyers. I am confident though that CDPR will remove the DRM after some time and that they will put out a compilation of patches in standalone form.

Do we really need another thread discussing DRM and cancelled games? We already have multiple threads on each of these topics.

slimgrin said:
Registering to get patches and free dlc. So unfair.
On that matter, why should we have to register for that? As I said in a previous post, there is an inherent right to services when you purchase a product (services being the patches). As for free DLC that isn't included out-of-the-box, I can understand why they would want you to register your game first - but that isn't the issue here. After all, any DLC that might be released down the road is not something that you have an inherent right to with your purchase. It's extra content. But patches are made to fix problems with what you bought; forcing customers to register for those is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom