An open letter to CD Projekt, or Why I Cancelled My Preorder Over DRM

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
freakie1one said:
Do we really need another thread discussing DRM and cancelled games? We already have multiple threads on each of these topics.
The only one I noticed on first glance was the one with over 500 replies, and I didn't feel like posting in there since what I had to say would probably only get buried. But yes, now that you mention it, I see there are others. So what? The more threads there are on this, the better the likelihood that CD Projekt will stand up and take notice that their customers (or in my case, now ex-customers) are unhappy.

The problem with having multiple threads about the same topics is that the same statements are made over and over. How many times do we need to have the same discussion? After a while it becomes spam.

I rememberer the patches from TW1. They included fixes, yes, but also free adventures, fan made adventures, an editor - basically the entire EE was a patch for anyone that had previously bought the game. Then they removed the DRM, and let you play the game without a disk. Everything for free. Seems to me they're taking a similar route for TW2.If you think its worth canceling your order then do it. But don't expect to be treated any better by other companies.

slimgrin said:
I rememberer the patches from TW1. They included fixes, yes, but also free adventures, fan made adventures, an editor - basically the entire EE was a patch for anyone that had previously bought the game. Then they removed the DRM, and let you play the game without a disk. Everything for free. Seems to me they're taking a similar route for TW2.If you think its worth canceling your order then do it. But don't expect to be treated any better by other companies.
I agree with this post and is why I am sticking with my order from GOG. I do believe the devs will take the same route as TW1 in regards to DRM so I will wait for the standalone patches etc..I am patient. This really is a minor issue and not worth cancelling over. I am glad that they are at least offering some form of DRM free. That is leagues ahead of other companies releasing AAA titles.Frankly I've been following TW2 for a while now and I can't remember a time when they said it was going to be 100% DRM free. They recognize DRM doesn't work but that publishers require it..that is also why they are releasing it on GOG somewhat DRM free..and that somewhat part I am hoping will be fixed shortly after when they take off the DRM part and release standalone compilation patches.

slimgrin said:
If you think its worth canceling your order then do it. But don't expect to be treated any better by other companies.
Yes, I do think it's worth canceling my order over this (as the thread title says, I already have). And no, I don't expect to be treated better by other companies. But that's part of my point; for years CD Projekt has said they were anti-DRM. Now, instead of sticking to their guns, they've flip-flopped on this position. Just as EA/Ubi/Activision/whoever would have. Thing is, CD Projekt used to be better than that. Now, they're just like everyone else.

I have faith with CDPR and from what i've seen they have deliver the GAME.. the RPG that i wanted and no other developers have successfully attracted my attention. Besides they have even openly announced that they will try to remove the DRM for retail version after post release which i have not seen ANY game developer/publisher who took this route. What's more we already have the GoG version which again no other developers/publishers who dare take this route and i salute CDPR for being brave.

firky

Forum regular
I would respect anyone who would not buy a game because it went against their beliefs. (Not pirate it, just not play, fullstop.) I just wonder how many people could live up to that commitment, though. I'm not overly fond of DRM, in general, but my desire to play The Witcher 2 is stronger than a desire to boycott the game. Much stronger. I might feel compelled not to eat certain brands of chocolate because a company has a history of dodgy child labour practices, but not boycott a game because of DRM.I love PC gaming. I'm a classic gamer who would love a return to a more old school model, in every aspect, from gameplay to distribution. But, the reality is, I want to play it. I loved The Witcher. I don't know why they put this model in place but I'm happy to trust it was the right decision for them.

Aver

Forum veteran
DarthVillainous said:
Yes, I do think it's worth canceling my order over this (as the thread title says, I already have). And no, I don't expect to be treated better by other companies. But that's part of my point; for years CD Projekt has said they were anti-DRM. Now, instead of sticking to their guns, they've flip-flopped on this position. Just as EA/Ubi/Activision/whoever would have. Thing is, CD Projekt used to be better than that. Now, they're just like everyone else.
You know what happened to the PC version of Crysis 2. If it would happened to The Witcher 2 it could be end for a small company like CDPR. Don't hate them so much and buy a game if activation will be flawless. ;)

Aver said:
Aver said:
You know what happened to the PC version of Crysis 2. If it would happened to The Witcher 2 it could be end for a small company like CDPR. Don't hate them so much and buy a game if activation will be flawless. ;)
The difference between TW2 and Crysis 2 is that TW2 will be a quality game whereas Crysis 2 lacked the quality everyone expected. That is why I do not fear TW2 having a problem with sales :)

Aver

Forum veteran
freakie1one said:
The difference between TW2 and Crysis 2 is that TW2 will be a quality game whereas Crysis 2 lacked the quality everyone expected. That is why I do not fear TW2 having a problem with sales :)
For FPS it was kinda good, but it's my personal opinion. But if ppl can download game for the weeks before release date it hurts sales very hard. Even if game is good.

Aver said:
So, support them just because they're a small company, even though they're pulling the same crap the big boys are? Buy a game just because the DRM isn't inconvenient? Sorry, I don't buy any of that. DRM is DRM, whether it's convenient or not, whether it has to be activated once or needs a persistent connection, and whether I can install the game on a million machines or on only one. Sure, some DRM isn't as bad as others; but not as bad doesn't mean it's good.And I don't know what you're on about Crysis 2. If you're referring to the fact it was pirated before it was released, you do realize the PC version had DRM, and it did nothing to stop that? If you're referring to the quality, I thought it was fantastic, better than 1. Of course, I bought the console version; as I said, the PC version has DRM.

freakie1one said:
I'm curious. Darth, which PC games do you play that are DRM free?
Unfortunately, the way the industry's going, not many. I think the last (new) PC game I bought was the Witcher: EE, or maybe Crysis 1. Didn't get Warhead (cancelled that preorder over this same issue) I've recently bought some older games off ebay (Rome Total War, Age of Empires 3, among others), but I do most of my gaming on consoles nowadays. No DRM, no hastle of having to constantly upgrade systems, and I can sit on my couch in comfort. Witcher 2 was the first PC game I had preordered in awhile, and then this happens. :(

DarthVillainous said:
....but I do most of my gaming on consoles nowadays. No DRM, no hastle of having to constantly upgrade systems, and I can sit on my couch in comfort.
Double-speak FTW: you can install games without internet connection on the console, yes, but you can't update them without having them connect to the internet, AUTHENTICATE YOU ( DRM ) and then if you are a legit game owner the game gets updated. Actually everything a console does has a DRM feature, from the console boot to the console shutdown there are DRM checks for every disk read, disk write, internet connection, Live/PSN connection, game start, software update etc.The GoG game in DRM free, but you need a way to prove you are a legit game owner to get the updates, to prove you deserve the service, to prove you bought that right from CDP, why is this even an issue? You deserve these updates, who are you? I'm REDxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx. Ok, game updated, go play./LE: And to make it clear, I feel your pain as I like a physical boxed game in my collection and that DRM solution might not work on my OS of choice ( Linux w/ WINE ), but as long as there are solutions like GoG any anti-DRM points are moot.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
....but I do most of my gaming on consoles nowadays. No DRM, no hastle of having to constantly upgrade systems, and I can sit on my couch in comfort.
Double-speak FTW: you can install games without internet connection on the console, yes, but you can't update them without having them connect to the internet, AUTHENTICATE YOU ( DRM ) and then if you are a legit game owner the game gets updated. Actually everything a console does has a DRM feature, from the console boot to the console shutdown there are DRM checks for every disk read, disk write, internet connection, Live/PSN connection, game start, software update etc.The GoG game in DRM free, but you need a way to prove you are a legit game owner to get the updates, to prove you deserve the service, to prove you bought that right from CDP, why is this even an issue? You deserve these updates, who are you? I'm REDxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx. Ok, game updated, go play.
+1Please close this thread as it's really redundant. OP should post it in the DRM thread.Also, agreed that verification is required for the product you purchased if you need a refund/exchange. Say you bought a piece of shirt from Shop A you can't just bring back to Shop B which is selling the SAME shirt asking them to CHANGE for defects without verifying your receipt.

Aver

Forum veteran
DarthVillainous said:
So, support them just because they're a small company, even though they're pulling the same crap the big boys are? Buy a game just because the DRM isn't inconvenient? Sorry, I don't buy any of that. DRM is DRM, whether it's convenient or not, whether it has to be activated once or needs a persistent connection, and whether I can install the game on a million machines or on only one. Sure, some DRM isn't as bad as others; but not as bad doesn't mean it's good.And I don't know what you're on about Crysis 2. If you're referring to the fact it was pirated before it was released, you do realize the PC version had DRM, and it did nothing to stop that? If you're referring to the quality, I thought it was fantastic, better than 1. Of course, I bought the console version; as I said, the PC version has DRM.
So you will buy console version. It's ok for CDPR. You will have to wait longer, pay more, you will get worse graphic and you will have no mods. You support companies more than PC players! I'm proud of you!I wonder why don't you buy drm-free version from GOG... Are modern Che Guevara wannabe? Anti DRM rebel who won't buy a DRM free copy because other copies has DRM? Where I can buy T-shirt with your face on it?

I install the game, after a while I will reformat for pc performance increase etcCan I install the game again on the same pc after the reformat?Any help is appreciated.

remember to uninstall first though, cause the install will count as 1 of 5 of the installs you can have at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom