An update on the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
We have decided to have our in-house development team conduct the remaining work on the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We are currently evaluating the scope of work to be done and thus have to postpone Q2 release until further notice.

We'll update you as soon as we can. Thank you for your understanding.

Another disappointment ..... Not surprised though because it has become more and more obvious to me that the Red Engine just can't be easily ported over to DX12 ..... Cyberpunk had problems with it, they dumped it and went to UE5 for Witcher 4 and now this

The evidence just keeps piling up .... At this point they might as well just scrap the idea and see about giving the Modding Community better tools for the now obsolete Red Engine for them to play with since there is really no IP to protect anymore

Getting Rise of the White Wolf flashbacks here...

It sounds like there may have been issues related to the studio responsible for the next-gen port, although the messaging is vague enough that it could be anything. Either way, delaying (especially without specifying a new release date) is naturally the right choice. Maybe this is a sign that CDPR has finally learnt that software development and inflexible release dates driven by the business rarely get along well! Only time will tell.

To be honest, I'm not sure TW3 really needs a next gen upgrade yet, so I wouldn't be too bothered if they decided to outright cancel it if the remaining work proves to be too large and they wish to instead focus on other projects.

I'm curious how this will effect resources for other ongoing titles at the moment. TW3 has lots of praise, but they did announce the NGE patch will be free for existing owners. Is there enough promise of wrangling in new players that such effort is worth the cost?

It's funny, CDPR take your time you guys are obviously having major internal problems, within a year of the Witcher 3 release we have Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine, yet two years after 2077 and we've got nothing.
Also don't expect the next gen version of the Witcher 3 to be much better, if you are a PC player you already have the next gen version after using various mods, it's such a simple upgrade CDPR has been doing for over a year and still hasn't finished their development efficiency has become so low just like 2077 is a mess.

I didn't understand this post at all, originally. Maybe I still don't. But if some of the posts on the CDPR Facebook account are correct, the next-gen version of TW3 had been outsourced to another company, and that company was doing most (or all?) of its development in Russia.

IF those posts are correct, the I guess it explains the decision. The comment is so cryptic that it sounds like a signaling comment for insiders. But if that's what it was supposed to be, then why post it at all for those of us in the general population? Very odd.

Take your time folks, and release it when ready ... I've purchased this game yesterday, with a nice (still ongoing) discount on GOG, and guess I have very long time of fun ahead of me. I do not much understand why there are all those complains when this update is free, personally I really like CDPR’s involvement and passion linked to their games, this especially when it is game released a few years ago!

Last edited:
Hey,
to me, CDPR makes (one of) the best RPGs in the world.

Personally, I think that the games are well-grounded, easily understandable, exceptionally well thought off and written, etc...
Both the passion and vision for the games make them stand out and evoke many thoughts and emotions,...

That's what I think still clearly differs CDPR from the over-milked games like Assassins Creed,...
I hope the Gothic 1 remake will be good :)

Also, the technical aspect of Red engine 4 seems pretty insane.
I play the game on gtx960 (4GB VRAM), 8GB RAM, and AMD FX6300 and it runs well enough, while the views are comparable to the games for the new generation of consoles (minus the interactivity).

So, while I most probably won't play Witcher 3 again just for the graphical upgrade, I hope that it will bring more enthusiasm towards CDPR and their games :disapprove:

Courtesy notice to CDPR --

After literally waiting for a next gen W3 with bated breath since Spring 2021, you will no longer receive any interest or enthusiasm about upcoming releases from this gamer. I'll take notice of your titles if and when they release to good reviews, and not a day sooner. You wore the crown of having produced arguably the game of the decade and perhaps best RPG of all time. But no one wears the crown forever.

Given your track-record for the past two years, it would be ludicrous to continue affording you a reputation of excellence. To me, and I assume many other gamers, you're just another game studio. No offense intended. It's just not fair to expect an audience of repeatedly disappointed fans to eagerly hold out for your work only to reap disappointment.

Of course I hope this post and/or its sentiments are grasped by the studio's leadership. I want CDPR to snap out of this incredible losing streak and channel the greatness they once did. I'm just not betting on it anymore.

So, with all due respect and fondest of wishes, CDPR -- I'll see you when I see you.

you're just another game studio. No offense intended.
I'm little bit curious to know some other game studios which supports (for free) theirs singleplayer game released 5(6) years back. Can you please give some examples? I found Witcher (3) game only recently and played so far just 50 hours, but it doesn't feel to me like "unfinished" game which must be patched*. So they want it improve even more for free ... weird, this doesn't feel to me like common approach, but maybe I just do not have enough info about games production in general. Will be nice to get some info in this regard, so thanks in advance! This game seems also have quite huge amount of content, I remember only one such game or better to say serie (Baldurs gate ... I've played also its enhanced version plus BG2 for many hours), but not more as that.

* ... very likely hard to compare views of experienced W3 player vs views of new player. But personally I look on this game update as very welcomed bonus which may be imo only better if is not released rushed.

Last edited:
I'm little bit curious to know some other game studios which supports (for free) theirs singleplayer game released 5(6) years back. Can you please give some examples?​

Difficult to tell if you're sincerely asking or using a rhetorical question to be tendentious. Either way, the honest answer is no game studio has released a free remaster of a 7 year old single-player game. But then again, neither has CDPR. That makes the assessment "just another game studio" rather accurate in light of the fact their remaster was just delayed indefinitely.

Brass tacks, to date they have only talked about a remaster, and only to describe a package of glorified mods. No mechanics re-design, no engine overhaul, just ray-tracing, textures, improved load times, and some throwaway armor DLC. Other gaming studios who commit to remastering games may charge money for the end result, but at least the result is substantive and... you know... real. The economics of game remastering do not bode well for the end result here if CDPR sticks to the free-DLC approach. There's a reason Mass Effect charged $60 for a decade old trilogy -- doing good work is actually expensive.

Coincidentally, CDPR only started talking about a re-release of their signature RPG since the Cyberpunk debacle. Their brand took a bath after they launched a game they'd knowingly misrepresented to gaming journalists and bloggers* and, yeouch, their own investors. Ironic for a game about rapacious corporate greed, but that's another topic. All I mean to point out is this thrice-delayed remaster was brought into this world as a PR tactic, and it shows. For point of reference, production of Mass Effect Legendary commenced in 2019, was announced in November 2020 and released in May 2021. 6 months between announcement and release of a full-blown remaster of an RPG trilogy. Whereas CDPR is up to :checks calendar: 18 months from announcing a "next gen" reskin of lighting and textures.

[...] This company does not deserve any more patience and support beyond what they earn with finished work, ok? They're not overhauling, they're aggregating tweaks that basically already exist in the mod community. There's this common refrain that fans who are frustrated have lost the plot and delays are somehow good, "Take your time guys. Get it right." This is comically, tragically detached from what's happening, which is development hell for a patch (literally DLC) of cosmetic changes. So, sorry I'm not sorry for calling them out.

*Interestingly, this OpenCritic article described in very specific detail the bizarre requirements CDPR foisted on reviewers in pre-release that made it clear in retrospect they were attempting to mask significant performance and gameplay gaps from reviewers, but the article was taken down.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, CDPR only started talking about a re-release of their signature RPG since the Cyberpunk debacle.
I do have exactly opposite view, but it's up to everyone to make his own opinion.

Difficult to tell if you're sincerely asking or using a rhetorical question to be tendentious.
Initially it was the latter, but while editing I changed my mind and I was really curious if there was any other game which got such free update.

This company does not deserve any more patience and support beyond what they earn with finished work, ok?
For me this also is ok, its your view. I look on things differently, I've had so far huge amount of fun playing Cyberpunk, and now also Witcher 3 and therefore CDPR is for me gaming studio whichs games fits my tastes very well. But what I personally value the most is when I see that devs talking about their game feels passionate. Yes, sometimes it may be form of advertisement or hype building, but it also may be because they are really passionate for what they do. I've watched numerous Pawel Sasko streams and imo gaming studios which have very passionate devs can make really great games.

Last edited:
I was really curious if there was any other game which got such free update.
Just from the games that I played, free "next-gen update" (optimized for) on Series X means in general > able to play in 60 FPS (absolutely nothing more...). I generally don't see any difference with my XB1x, except loading times and FPS.
About Mass Effect, I have the three original games and the legendary edition, the difference is mainly noticeable in the first one (loading times and FPS too, obviously...). Interesting fact, many bugs/issues present in the original version, still happen in the legendary edition...
So if I wasn't a huge fan, I'm quite confident that I wouldn't bought it :)

Definitely looking forward to this update, please do share more about the schedules as soon as possible, mostly so I have a reason to do a new playthrough lol

We have decided to have our in-house development team conduct the remaining work on the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We are currently evaluating the scope of work to be done and thus have to postpone Q2 release until further notice.

We'll update you as soon as we can. Thank you for your understanding.
Will there be a fix on the signal tower glitch that still affects player?

Top Bottom