Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

+
Yes, although the first half of it (in Novigrad) is still OK, other than for the Reason of State quest. It gets worse in Skellige:
- disappointing final battle with the Wild Hunt (it was cut down)
- much of the third act is about recruiting the lodge of sorceresses as "important" allies for the final battle, and then they are sidelined and their role is minimal
- the last quest after defeating Eredin does not make much sense, and important stuff was probably cut here, too
- most NPCs other than Ciri, Yennefer, Avallac'h, and Philippa are reduced to a background role with barely any dialogue
- short and not very good quests like Veni Vidi Vigo and The Sunstone

You have said well. There is nothing more to be said for me... :yes

Only one point perhaps: https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt/Removed_and_Altered_Quests :thumbup:

Last edited:
Good post. I disagree with some of the arguments in the OP but do generally [or at least to some extent] agree with all your four major points.

Still love the game to death though.

Yes, although the first half of it (in Novigrad), while not exactly great, is still OK, other than for the Reason of State quest. It gets worse in Skellige:
- disappointing final battle with the Wild Hunt (it was cut down)
- much of the third act is about recruiting the lodge of sorceresses as "important" allies for the final battle, and then they are sidelined and their role is minimal
- the last quest after defeating Eredin does not make much sense, and important stuff was probably cut here, too
- most NPCs other than Ciri, Yennefer, Avallac'h, and Philippa are reduced to a background role with barely any dialogue
- short and not very good quests like Veni Vidi Vigo and The Sunstone

I have strong feeling that whole "third act" was created in a hurry.
I wish one day suggestions in this thread will come true.

Moderator: To vulgar tirades such as those in the deleted post, you can expect indifference from any developer. State your arguments decently and in order, or do not state them on this forum.

So apparently my previous comment was too argumentative and not constructive enough and was therefore deleted. So I will restate it in a manner that the mods may favor.
That quest is dumb in so many ways, one dialogue option hardly makes the difference. Besides, depending on the playthrough, some people's Geralt is not really close with Roche and Ves.
My Geralt is the type of person who doesn't care about the politics in the slightest, he just wants to reunite with Ciri and Yennefer, so I skip assassination plot altogether. I don't think there's anything juvenile about having the option to be indifferent toward politics.
I meant to give it as an example of the indifference option being perhaps less seniscal than it could have been and maybe a tad forced and a bit contrived. In this instance I am not conviced it could be claimed that Geralt can adopt the indifferent toward politics attitude for he had just recently took part in an assassination plot.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

So apparently my previous comment was too argumentative and not constructive enough and was therefore deleted. So I will restate it in a manner that the mods may favor.

I meant to give it as an example of the indifference option being perhaps less seniscal than it could have been and maybe a tad forced and a bit contrived. In this instance I am not conviced it could be claimed that Geralt can adopt the indifferent toward politics attitude for he had just recently took part in an assassination plot.

Ok then, I assumed you've meant shrugging off politics in general using "witchers are neutral" excuse would be juvenile. In this particular case I agree, but, like I said - that quest was badly written in it's entirety, plagued by ooc, nonsensical behaviour of everyone involved (except maybe Philippa), that response from Geralt was just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have strong feeling that whole "third act" was created in a hurry.

It does look like that, in Reason of State in particular, the Dijkstra choice at the end may have been added late during the development of the game - perhaps at first the choice was only between Radovid (no assassination) and Nilfgaard (Radovid assassinated).

It does look like that, in Reason of State in particular, the Dijkstra choice at the end may have been added late during the development of the game - perhaps at first the choice was only between Radovid (no assassination) and Nilfgaard (Radovid assassinated).

Not just Reasons of State, nor the third act. The second and third acts may well be linear in nature (when compared to the prologue and act one) but the dumbing down of morale choices are prevalent throughout. Let's be honest here, the writing in TW3 is Jackyl and Hyde and unfortunately there are more Mr Hydes than Dr Jackyls in this game.

For example, the black and white presentation of Eredin and the Wild Hunt is due to the chronic lack of characterisation. We learn that he's doing what he's doing because he believes his world is in imminent danger yet the game conveniently ignores that by giving him less than a paragraph's worth of material. He's never presented as misguided or over zealous or even simply having a differing ideology to Geralt, simply black and white, not through creative decisions, but through neglect.

Notice the longest running, most thanked/redpointed posts on this forum. They're never complaints about gameplay or bugs, it's always writing issues that are the heart of most complaints with this game and I believe the reason why is that CDPR were so obsessed with creating this beautiful open world we could explore that they simply took their eye off the ball on what's the most important aspect of any RPG - it's writing. Whether they ran out of money or simply lost focus, we'll never know and given the sales of the game they may not even be bothered, but if they are, it's a lesson they sorely need to learn from.

Last edited:
Not just Reasons of State, nor the third act. The second and third acts may well be linear in nature (when compared to the prologue and act one) but the dumbing down of morale choices are prevalent throughout. Let's be honest here, the writing in TW3 is Jackyl and Hyde and unfortunately there are more Mr Hydes than Mr Jackyls in this game.

Yes, the "third act" issue is separate from the "dumbing down" of the game, which is the topic of this thread, after all. Although I suspect only the former has a realistic chance of being addressed in some way in the future (even if only like in TW2: EE), as it is the result of not enough time and/or resources, while the latter was most probably done on purpose to be able to reach a wider audience.

It`s funny how a game often is praised by the majority but take a look at the official forums and it`s teared apart. Not to say this is a bad thing. After all only criticism can lead to improvement.

That beind said, I agree with Maerd in a lot of points including the dumbed down politics and the story not being as complex as Witcher 2. However his second point about the "lesser vs greater evil" point is in my opinion not correct. There were plenty of other quests(besides the Baron and the leshen quest) that had me thinking about what to choose and do. Be it the one where you have to choose if you avenge a village for being slaughtered by a witcher or letting him go for being fooled by the village, be it to take Ciri to the emperor or not, be it to let Triss get tortured by the hunters to gain knowledge about the treasure or not and risk not getting to know anything, be it to let the sylvian fool the people for their own good or kill him and give the people the truth but destroying their protector. There were plenty of moments where I had to think.

Yes the storyline (as much as I enjoyed it) isn`t as tight as Witcher 2 anymore. But with an open world game and a bigger budget the game will also have to target more people. How are they going to target those if they start off with the politics just as complex as W2. CD Project also wants to get bigger, evolve. They need to expand on their audience as well, they are a business after all. How are they going to do that when you start the game and you already have no idea of nothing from the get go.

Yes the witcher sense is used a lot but how else do it? In a big world like W3 questing without witcher sense would only lead to frustration. Geralt has the witcher knowledge, not me. I mean Hearts of Stone had the first sidequest where there wasn`t much handholding and probably 80 percent missed it. Yes the quests shouldn`t have resolved too much on the Witcher sense but I simply don`t know how else to do it without making things frustrating. And seriously as much as Witcher2 was praised that game had a lot of frustrating moments.

And if you look at W1 and 2 side and main quest then guess what: There were many people who did things because they were eeeeviiilll. I know it`s a shocker but many people are evil without a reason. Not everything needs to be gray because not everything is. Yes I do liked the story in W2 way more but to say it`s always clear what to choose and say in W3....I completely disagree with that.

I mean yes, I also am not a fan of watering down and it`s very good that people point this out. But give me another game where every sidequest is interesting, had it`s own little story and most of the time a little twist. No moment of W3 was boring and despite some dumbed down changes (and some story issues especially in the rushed lated parts of the game) it still kept being true to the Witcher.

Overall I still prefer the atmosphere and potion system (oh god the potion system) of Witcher 1 and the story of Witcher 2. But Witcher 3 is great as well. Yes its definitely more targeted towards teens I agree with this.

Well. Almost exactly my thoughts.

As for the topic of matureness, all in all, I would not say TW3 is not an adult game anymore. I think most of it has to do with its nature of open world. With an open world, they were allowed to create a much larger number of situations than previous games, and most of them are pretty heavy. I will never forget the Bloody Baron's sad, fucked up family story, or the pain of a woman felt betrayed by his lover making her restless after death, or the bitter resignation of a man cast out from society for being a gay "monster", or the wariness in dealing with an ambiguous soul trapped in a tree, or the disgusting symbiotic relationship with a parasite feeding on pain that leads a human mind to auto mutilation, or the uneasy story of a village with a sick warrior cult that leads its young ones to almost certain death, and many more, I'd be writing for pages and pages were I to continue. The franchise's trademark continues to live on, despite some glaring cases where "good" and "bad" are clearly discernible indeed, the Wild Hunt itself being a prime example.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree with the OP.

Last edited:
Well. Almost exactly my thoughts.

As for the topic of matureness, all in all, I would not say TW3 is not an adult game anymore. I think most of it has to do with its nature of open world. With an open world, they were allowed to create a much larger number of situations than previous games, and most of them are pretty heavy. I will never forget the Bloody Baron's sad, fucked up family story, or the pain of a woman felt betrayed by his lover making her restless after death, or the bitter resignation of a man cast out from society for being a gay "monster", or the wariness in dealing with an ambiguous soul trapped in a tree, or the disgusting symbiotic relationship with a parasite feeding on pain that leads a human mind to auto mutilation, or the uneasy story of a village with a sick warrior cult that leads its young ones to almost certain death, and many more, I'd be writing for pages and pages were I to continue. The franchise's trademark continues to live on, despite some glaring cases where "good" and "bad" are clearly discernible indeed, the Wild Hunt itself being a prime example.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree with the OP.

Dark=\=Mature

IMO

Dark=\=Mature

IMO

And I agree. Otherwise one could think Hatred is a mature game.

However, TW3 handles those themes I mentioned before and others I left out pretty darn well in a way that makes you think about them, feel them, which I hadn't seen since TW1. Also handling the atmosphere surrounding them splendidly which helps.

Last edited:
Just to illustrate what I meant
Take this scene for instance: (starting at 8.22)

Geralt finds a letter in which Dudu leaves a note for Ciri or Dandelion. "The wine from your birth year [....]"
After you gather the letter the quest text says "solve the riddle". But what riddle is CDP talking about?
You have to press the button for the witcher senses, follow the glowing red footsteps to the next room and click on the only possible clickable object.
How can CDP call this a "riddle"?
Why not make us read the codex to find out when Ciri or Dandelion were born or design this quest in a way that it's actually make us solve a real riddle?

Another example is the ending of the Hearts of Stone dlc, in which we have to solve O'Dim's "riddle". Aside from the fact that this "riddle" meant just to run around to find the place we have to reach, CDP apparently thought that even that might be too difficult for the player. So in the last room with all the mirrors, Geralt solves the "riddle" by himself in the moment he comes close to the well and say's "Hmm, I wonder how you'll shatter a sheed of water..."
Apparently CDP doesn't think the player is smart enough to figure out how to even solve this "riddle" without some help.

I used these two examples, because I believe that they are representative for CDP treating the player as an idiot.(compare these two riddles to the gargoyles or the "word-riddle" in the sewers of Loc Muinne from Witcher 2) Their whole approach changed between Witcher 2 and 3. They stopped treating the player as someone who is capable of thinking for himself. Imo the simplified main story and politics are the most disappointing results of their new approach.

Last edited:
@scryar. Yeah I agree with that. It should be mentioned more: there is no problem solving in TW3, in a game where you play as a problem solving mutant. o_O

Just to illustrate what I meant
Take this scene for instance: (starting at 8.22)

Geralt finds a letter in which Dudu leaves a note for Ciri or Dandelion. "The wine from your birth year [....]"
After you gather the letter the quest text says "solve the riddle". But what riddle is CDP talking about?
You have to press the button for the witcher senses, follow the glowing red footsteps to the next room and click on the only possible clickable object.
How can CDP call this a "riddle"?
Why not make us read the codex to find out when Ciri or Dandelion were born or design this quest in a way that it's actually make us solve a real riddle?

Another example is the ending of the Hearts of Stone dlc, in which we have to solve O'Dim's "riddle". Aside from the fact that this "riddle" meant just to run around to find the place we have to reach, CDP apparently thought that even that might be too difficult for the player. So in the last room with all the mirrors, Geralt solves the "riddle" by himself in the moment he comes close to the well and say's "Hmm, I wonder how you'll shatter a sheed of water..."
Apparently CDP doesn't think the player is smart enough to figure out how to even solve this "riddle" without some help.

I used these two examples, because I believe that they are representative for CDP treating the player as an idiot.(compare these two riddles to the gargoyles or the "word-riddle" in the sewers of Loc Muinne from Witcher 2) Their whole approach changed between Witcher 2 and 3. They stopped treating the player as someone who is capable of thinking for himself. Imo the simplified main story and politics are the most disappointing results of their new approach.

Thanks someone else says this!

However I do think this post's place is in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's quite true there are no real challenges in terms of riddles in Wild Hunt, or HoS, I do query whether accusing the Design Team of intentionally envisioning their players as idiots is a civil or productive means of couching the criticism. Promoting the presumption that the Team thought, 'Ha, players are complete fools: We should make this game a lot easier.' unfairly casts them as insensitive and rather blunt. It isn't a very kind assumption to make, as it insults not only the developers, but also many players. I personally agree that the REDs could have created much more challenging puzzles, selectively limited the use of witcher senses, and offered many more opportunities to make more complex choices than simply selecting the 'right' dialogue option. No doubt it was necessary to make the game accessible in order to reach their stated goal of a wider audience, however, this doesn't prove they viewed that audience as a crowd of incompetent halfwits. After all, not everyone actually enjoys puzzles and riddles, and some people strongly dislike them. Does this make them stupid? No. It merely means they have different preferences.

As should, by now, be abundantly obvious from the continued comments on these forums, it's frankly impossible to make a perfect entertainment, which will entirely satisfy and please everyone on all points. What one person considers a triviality, or tediously boring, another player may find to be brilliant or deeply engrossing. At best, one can only attempt to please a large number of people on a majority of points, but never all, and it is not always possible to develop all points equally. As players who enjoy puzzles, it is unfair to always presume that others want, or would even appreciate, precisely what we want. While it is unfortunate that this particular aspect of the game did not receive extensive development, I believe it is inappropriate and disrespectful to assume the REDs consciously considered their audience to be less intelligent, or incapable of independent thought, by necessity of this failing.

Top Bottom