Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

+
By your definition there is no RPG's at all in video games. Most of the modern, or even old school RPGS lacking meaningful C&C systems... Witcher series is still in this aspect very high compared to other arpgs or crpgs. Witcher 3 was first CDPR shot in open world environment and i think they did O.K. with C&C, they didnt have unlimited money or resources to make C&C like in Witcher 2 which was pretty small game compared to Witcher 3, they also cut some content and they had problems developing this game, 2 big delays etc.. Maybe in Cyberpunk we will get better C&C they have feedback, more money and experience after W3 development.

Pen & Paper. And no, it's not subjective.

Therefore there never has been and never will be a real RPG game for consoles or computers. Somehow I doubt if that is the definition. Can you cite the source or is this just your definition?

Remember I'm not even asking if The Witcher is an RPG I'm asking for a definition. Even @calasade in the above response doesn't give a definition but instead talks about certain aspects of the game.

The point is real and simple. Unless there is an official definition then it is totally subjective.

Therefore there never has been and never will be a real RPG game for consoles or computers. Somehow I doubt if that is the definition. Can you cite the source or is this just your definition?

Remember I'm not even asking if The Witcher is an RPG I'm asking for a definition. Even @calasade in the above response doesn't give a definition but instead talks about certain aspects of the game.

The point is real and simple. Unless there is an official definition then it is totally subjective.

Urquhart?

RPS: For Obsidian, what are the core tenets of role-playing games? You could say something like The Walking Dead is a role-playing game, if you choose to zero in on choice and story as key elements of role-playing games. For you personally, is it that fusion, that sort of midpoint between choice and story and combat and character growth?

Feargus Urquhart: It is combat, toys, and story. Sorry, it’s combat, characters, toys, and story. Why I’m separating characters and story is because when you’re playing a great role-playing game, you have relationships with NPCs. They aren’t really the story. To me, and Obsidian, a story is something that I can… I know where to go in the story, but I’m choosing I want to have the story play out. Which you see in a lot of our games.

Sometimes it’s what gets us in trouble. We want and feel that what an RPG is about is the ramifications of my actions in the world. Not just system-wise – I rip this guy off and so this stuff happens. I don’t mean that. It’s, “I chose to do this.” Usually consciously, occasionally unconsciously. Then this is the ramification of that. Bundled, of course, with fun combat and character development. I’m a min-maxer so there’s my love of figuring out the exact character build. But that’s it.

I guess if you need to boil it all down… I’m not to say “more than other game developers,” but I don’t think that’s the case. Maybe we talk about it a little bit more. But it’s the choice aspect of RPGs. RPGs are so much about choice and the ramifications of those choices. This is something that Chris Avellone hit upon that really is a tenet of what we do now. In Alpha Protocol, he really pushed this idea forward that there is no [good or evil]. Morally there may be a good or a bad choice, but there is no bad choice for the player. Even if it’s “evil,” you’re rewarded.

And not just with cash. A lot of RPGs in the past, the way they handle good and evil, if you did good you got a pat on the back and everyone was nice to you, and if you were bad you got money. In Alpha Protocol it was about making the choices a bit more gray. The problem with gray choices, of course, is that it’s hard for the player to… They don’t just see it as being evil or being good. You then have to explain it more. The gray choices then come with, “No, this is what’s gonna happen.” There’s a near-term, medium-term, and long-term reaction, if we can do it that way, to all of these choices that you make. That web is what makes the game feel like it’s my game.

RPS: That sort of takes us back into Walking Dead’s territory, given that it stripped away pretty much everything else and narrowed the focus to pure choice.

Feargus Urquhart: And they had our Alpha Protocol timer [laughs].

RPS: Yes! You really should’ve trademarked that. The concept of time, I mean. But anyway, do you look at something like Walking Dead and think, “Well, if we really want to focus on the choices, let’s strip out the combat and just make a story”?

Feargus Urquhart: That’s hard. I don’t want to say I’m a traditionalist, but my upbringing is Dungeons and Dragons. There was the lecture by Heavy Rain creator David Cage about violent video games and all that stuff and why we have such a focus on combat and stuff like that. I was thinking a lot about it as he was talking about that. Interestingly enough, a lot of how we look at combat is that it’s more of a… How would I put it? It was like playing paintball. When people are playing paintball, somehow paintball never gets brought up as something evil in our society.

RPG is not a subjective term. You can find a definition for pen-and-paper or tabletop anywhere.

OK I took your advice and did exactly that. At dictionary.com it is defined as:
" game in which participants adopt the roles of imaginary characters in an adventure under the direction of a Game Master."

At the free dictionary.com they define it as:
"A game in which players assume the roles of characters and act out fantastical adventures, the outcomes of which are partially determined by chance, as by the roll of dice."

Oxford Dictionary defines it as:
"A game in which players take on the roles of imaginary characters who engage in adventures, typically in a particular fantasy setting overseen by a referee."

Wikipedia defines it as:
"A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines."

And Techopedia defines it as:
"A role-playing game (RPG) is a genre of video game where the gamer controls a fictional character (or characters) that undertakes a quest in an imaginary world. Defining RPGs is very challenging due to the range of hybrid genres that have RPG elements. Traditional role-playing video games shared three basic elements:
Levels or character statistics that could be improved over the course of the game
A menu-based combat system
A central quest that runs throughout the game as a storyline"

So if these are the "official" definitions then nowhere are there conditions based on "enough choice and consequence".

Feargus Urquhart clearly was giving his opinion when he stated "I’m not to say “more than other game developers,”". Besides the question was asking for his opinion and not a definition.

Seems to me by those "official" definitions many games qualify as RPG.

Talk for yourself, not for others. For me Witcher 2 was easily the worst part in Witcher series.

I've spent hundreds of hours in all three games and to me it's clear that the target audience has changed, or to be politically correct, broadened. It hurt the series no matter what. The writing of the villains clinched it for me as they all seem straight out of Hollywood movies; simple motives, cliche personalities and dialog. Easy to digest fare and indeed they resonated well with most reviewers. The subtly of Letho or tragic irony of Jaque de Aldersburg simply doesn't make an impact with a broad audience.

Last edited:
I've spent hundreds of hours in all three games and to me it's clear that the target audience has changed, or to be politically correct, broadened. It hurt the series no matter what. The writing of the villains clinched it for me as they all seem straight out of Hollywood movies; simple motives, cliche personalities and dialog. Easy to digest fare and indeed they resonated well with most reviewers. The subtly of Letho or tragic irony of Jaque de Aldersburg simply doesn't make an impact with a broad audience.
Though to be fair, that only applies to the antagonists and not to all villains. Azar Javed, the Professor, Loredo, Rayla or Dethmold weren't any more nuanced than Whoreson, Menge, Imlerith, Caranthir or any of the other witcher 3 villains expect for the crones and O'Dim of cource.
The difference is that as you said the main villains from the previous games were greatly written. De Aldersberg and Letho are several levels above Eredin in terms of writing. Especially Letho is the best antagonist I ever experienced in a video game.
Luckily they showed with O'Dim that they can still write great antagonists and hopefully will do it again with the Blood&Wine villain. That would at least show that Eredin was an accident, unfortunately a pretty devastating one, considering he is the overarching villain of the whole trilogy, but still only an accident and not a result of the decline of CDP's writing skills.

Last edited:
Though to be fair, that only applies to the antagonists and not to all villains. Azar Javed, the Professor, Loredo, Rayla or Dethmold weren't any more nuanced than Whoreson, Menge, Imlerith, Caranthir or any of the other witcher 3 villains expect for the crones and O'Dim of cource.
The difference is that as you said the main villains from the previous games were greatly written. De Aldersberg and Letho are several levels above Eredin in terms of writing. Especially Letho is the best antagonist I ever experienced in a video game.
Luckily they showed with O'Dim that they can still write great antagonists and hopefully will do it again with the Blood&Wine villain. That would at least show that Eredin was an accident, unfortunately a pretty devastating one, considering he is the overarching villain of the whole trilogy, but still only an accident and not a result of the decline of CDP's writing skills.
Loredo is infinitely more nuanced than any W3's villian

Loredo is infinitely more nuanced than any W3's villian
How so? What redeeming qualities does Loredo have, that make him to a more nuanced character than the Witcher 3 villains?
I would even argue that Loredo und Whoreson are a very similar kind of character.

Both are scumbags without any good sides.
Both are ugly but charismatic
Both are leaders of a small faction. In Loredo's case the small village Flotsam (including armed forces in form of his guards and bodyguards) and in Whoreson's case his gang.
Both betray their employees/partners(Temeria/Loredo, Other crime bosses /Whoreson) and scheme with another faction (Kaedwen/Loredo, Redania/whoreson)
As stereotypical villains they both naturally like prostitutes and treat them badly, or to be precise women in general (Loredo/kidnapped and raped the elven woman, Whoreson/killed several women)
Furthermore as in every fairytale both can killed at some point so the good wins vs the bad. Though in this regard I prefer Witcher 2, as at least on Iorveth's path we have to choose between two evils (letting Loredo escape or letting the elven women die).

So out of curiosity. What exactly makes Loredo "infinitely" more nuanced than Whoreson or any other Witcher 3 villain for that matter?
On a sidenote. Henselt is imo a not so different kind of character, but indeed distinctly more nuanced. In terms of his personality, his actions and possible consequences depending on our choice to kill him or not.

Last edited:
Nope. Don't agree for a second. Loredo had much more character development, and ties to the plot and history of Flotsam, We had more choices and outcomes regarding his involvement. We can talk to him, a meaningful conversation on his stance against the non humans and how he's stuck in the middle of a shit fest. We can agree or disagree with him, kill him or let him live to save other people. I'll not bother to elaborate on the tragedy of him being a bastard of war, or his mom's tragic history.

Compare this to the joke that is Whoreson: he's bad cause he kills hookers, a hamfisted attempt to make him appear evil. We.can let him live or kill him. That's all there is. It's probably the worst moral dilemma I've seen in a Witcher game. Eredin is no better, nor his generals. And it's because none of them get interesting character development in any way.

Last edited:
Nope. Don't agree for a second. Loredo had much more character development, and ties to the plot and history of Flotsam, We had more choices and outcomes regarding his involvement. We can talk to him, a meaningful conversation on his stance against the non humans and how he's stuck in the middle of a shit fest. We can agree or disagree with him, kill him or let him live to save other people. I'll not bother to elaborate on the tragedy of him being a bastard of war, or his mom's tragic history.

One word: Screentime.

TW2 villains had a good amount of screentime. TW3 villains don't.

Compare this to the joke that is Whoreson: he's bad cause he kills hookers, a hamfisted attempt to make him appear evil. We.can let him live or kill him. That's all there is. It's probably the worst moral dilemma I've seen in a Witcher game. Eredin is no better, nor his generals. And it's because none of them get interesting character development in any way.

I agree, and the same for Menge. After the Bloody Baron, basically every villain you encounter in Witcher 3 is "Bioware evil".

---------- Updated at 02:58 AM ----------

One word: Screentime.

TW2 villains had a good amount of screentime. TW3 villains don't.

That's one of the problem. More screentime wouldn't save Whoreson characterization.

CDPR has been pretty up front about their mistakes when it comes to the villains and their characterization. When speaking about the improvements made in HoS, Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz went so far as to say, “The antagonist – well, there’s no true antagonist in ‘Hearts of Stone’, but the character most like an antagonist – got a lot more screen time than the antagonist of The Witcher 3. We were aware at a late stage that we didn’t do it properly; that the main game’s antagonist needed more of that screen time. Sadly, it was too late into development to really fix that.”

At least they are fessing up to the game's shortcomings in some areas and working to improve them. That's a lot more than I can say for most other game companies.

I thought Olgierd and Gaunter O'Dimm were a massive improvement. That being said, not every villain needs to be morally gray and conflicted. Sometimes people are just dicks and need to be put down, e.g. Hitler. There's nothing wrong with having a few of those in the game.

How so? What redeeming qualities does Loredo have, that make him to a more nuanced character than the Witcher 3 villains?
I would even argue that Loredo und Whoreson are a very similar kind of character.

Both are scumbags without any good sides.
Both are ugly but charismatic
Both are leaders of a small faction. In Loredo's case the small village Flotsam (including armed forces in form of his guards and bodyguards) and in Whoreson's case his gang.
Both betray their employees/partners(Temeria/Loredo, Other crime bosses /Whoreson) and scheme with another faction (Kaedwen/Loredo, Redania/whoreson)
As stereotypical villains they both naturally like prostitutes and treat them badly, or to be precise women in general (Loredo/kidnapped and raped the elven woman, Whoreson/killed several women)
Furthermore as in every fairytale both can killed at some point so the good wins vs the bad. Though in this regard I prefer Witcher 2, as at least on Iorveth's path we have to choose between two evils (letting Loredo escape or letting the elven women die).

So out of curiosity. What exactly makes Loredo "infinitely" more nuanced than Whoreson or any other Witcher 3 villain for that matter?
On a sidenote. Henselt is imo a not so different kind of character, but indeed distinctly more nuanced. In terms of his personality, his actions and possible consequences depending on our choice to kill him or not.
Nuance doesn't require grayness, that's just a shallow way to define depth. A character can be a role model of morality and charisma or otherwise a pitch-black asshole and still have nuance. Nuance for a character meaning making him both interesting and realistic.

Interesting word, 'nuance': From French, 'shade, hue, slight difference, hint'; from the verb nuer - 'to blend [colours]', literally, 'to cloud'; ultimately from Latin nubes, 'cloud'. Subtle differences in colour or tone, and a certain airy quality, seem to characterise the word's etymology and general definition. It has rather a peculiar tinge.

Interesting word, 'nuance': From French, 'shade, hue, slight difference, hint'; from the verb nuer - 'to blend [colours]', literally, 'to cloud'; ultimately from Latin nubes, 'cloud'. Subtle differences in colour or tone, and a certain airy quality, seem to characterise the word's etymology and general definition. It has rather a peculiar tinge.
Fair enough, in this case I don't think it can be possibly argued that Loredo (or Dethmold for that matter) suffer from the same lack of nuance of TW3 villians

Like in Reasons of State, as much as having the option to say 'I don't want to get involved' (or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong) offended me. I mean, really? You don't want to get involved when some of the closet people to you in your last journey (Roche and Ves) are threatened? Why is this even an option?

Let's think here, why would Geralt get involved with a plot to assassinate a king when his focus is to help Ciri? Do you really think Geralt would risk everything to get caught up into some political BS when Ciri is in danger? The only option that makes sense canon wise is to not get involved.at all and to keep his focus on Ciri.

Geralt hates politics and wants to find Ciri as quick as possible. It doesn't make sense for Geralt to get involved. Roche and Ves being involved don't change anything.

Last edited:
Geralt hates politics and wants to find Ciri as quick as possible. It doesn't make sense for Geralt to get involved. Roche and Ves being involved don't change anything.

Have you ever played TW1 or TW2? Obviously the chracter has changed from the one of the books. And if you think that not getting involved is the best option, you can choose it in the game. But I think that players from the others game deserves more from the new Geralt and more from politics than one simple quest

Let's think here, why would Geralt get involved with a plot to assassinate a king when his focus is to help Ciri? Do you really think Geralt would risk everything to get caught up into some political BS when Ciri is in danger? The only option that makes sense canon wise is to not get involved.at all and to keep his focus on Ciri.

Far fetched. Geralt has ALREADY chose to be involved

Have you ever played TW1 or TW2? Obviously the chracter has changed from the one of the books. And if you think that not getting involved is the best option, you can choose it in the game. But I think that players from the others game deserves more from the new Geralt and more from politics than one simple quest

I've played 1 and 2 but doesn't really matter because 3 is all about urgency and finding Ciri. I'm just trying to view the situation logically and practically. Just like how it wouldn't make sense for Geralt to help Roche with Ves or help Lambert with his personal matters. Geralt is always one to help his friends, but the urgency of Ciri and the Wild Hunt on her trail doesn't leave much room for a lot of the side stuff and I can't see how Geralt would be able to make time for those side things when he has a vital priority in finding Ciri.

Top Bottom