Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

+
“Sometimes you see games that claim they have mature storytelling when really it's adolescent storytelling. It's just tits and blood, and yeah that's ‘mature’ because it's rated R, but it's not the same thing.”

http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/the-witcher-quest-design-cd-projekt-masterclass

Quite ironic.

They've never relied on gratuitous content and anyone who's played all their games knows this. Yeah, they slipped up with some story bits big time in TW3, but let's be fair.

I actually don't even give a crap about the brothels not actually feeling like real brothels when weighed against the other stuff mentioned but yea that aside one thing that would've been perfect for them, and bars and pubs, would've been being able to get drunk at them with your buddies or hit them up with your buddies, especially after the wild hunt MQ. and as a bonus that's pretty in line with the novels, dandelion or someone else usually talking about hitting up a bar or brothel to celebrate something or just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
it's clear this game was made for mainstream, easily entertained kids. marketed towards them. but I have a feeling that was the goal all along with this one since teenagers are the main consumers of video games, it's looking a bit like a cash grab.

Couldn't agree more. The problem (for us) is that it worked really well. It seems that console players, new players or teenagers are the place where the money exists so It would be normal to expect this type of story in future games.

Last edited:
@jimmywon34 that wasn't directed at you, I was talking about the games in general. I personally don't see a point in having brothels and strumpets for Geralt / the player to have "fun" with from time to time. What was the fun at all? I really don't see the point. This is just a waste of resources in my opinion and the only thing it effectively does is it devalues the meaning of sex (if it was ever intended to be meaningful at all).

In other words, there can be brothels, but let them merely function as taverns or as places for gwent tournaments, etc. That said, I'm glad that you mentioned drinking, because I miss those parts from The Witcher. While you could simply intoxicate yourself for no reason at all, most of the time, there was something involved there, some piece of information was to be obtained, or as you said, you were simply spending time with your buddies. That was great.

and why in the hell did they have to dumb down the politics? that was the absolute worst part of it all. horrible, and TW2 story was just left hanging(if you sided with scoa'tael last 2 games). they jump ahead 6 months at the beginning of this game even though that is inconsistent with TW2, at the end of TW2 Sile tells you exactly where to go, but for some reason Geralt waited 6 months to finally head south to look for Yen? what was that reason? and we missed the best part(most adult part and most brutal part of war) of the nilfgaard invasion where the actual war was going on, instead the only 'war' we see is a couple battlefields of dead bodies and soldiers standing around all over velen and novigrad doing absolutely nothing. TW3 should've picked up right where TW2 left off it would've been way better and way more logical and consistent.

They ruined TW2 story. Intentionally. No doubt about it. They put a different kind of player as their market objective and they did whatever it took in order to satisfied them. I'm agree with you that scoia'tel and politics were the things that should have been more developed or even included in the game. They were the plots which made TW2 one of the best RPG I've ever seen and were the best ways to satisfy fans from the previous games. But when time and budget restrains, it seems that we were dispensable. Hope some people learn from this for the future

Last edited:
There is no urgency when he stops to do solve 16565454113215 monster contracts. If the urgency was so big, there won't be spaces for anything else except for Ciri

but game is not forcing you on taking those contracts... does it... you can complete them even after you finished the game....

---------- Updated at 07:55 AM ----------

They ruined TW2 story. Intentionally. No doubt about it. They put a different kind of player as their market objective and they did whatever it took in order to satisfied them. I'm agree with you that scoia'tel and politics were the things that should have been more developed or even included in the game. They were the plots which made TW2 one of the best RPG I've ever seen and were the best ways to satisfy fans from the previous games. But when time and budget restrains, it seems that we were dispensable.

no, TW2 story was very out of character for Geralt... TW3 returned to more lore Geralt and motives...

no, TW2 story was very out of character for Geralt... TW3 returned to more lore Geralt and motives...

Theres is a big difference between the Geralt from the games that the one from the books. Everyone who have played TW1 and TW2 knows this

its a game... so its how you make it to be... yet still, W3 game allows you to play as Geralt from books... same with TW1... not so much with TW2

no, TW2 story was very out of character for Geralt...

It had nothing to do with Geralt's character, the circumstances forced him to get involved in the plot. The fact that Geralt does not like politics does not stop politics from existing. Anyway, if Geralt's character is so limiting when it comes to RPG design, perhaps it is a good thing if he retires and will not appear in more games.

I'm not sure where this thread is going at this point? It seems "adult" somehow has started to mean entitlement to something? Or rather what I like is adult but what I dislike is childish and since adult is a STATUS therefore we should disparage things as childish. I mean no insult to anyone and realize the irony of saying this but that's not enforcing anything even close to "adult".

You do not like that they cut down on politics so it's childish? I don't like that a game called WITCHER 2 focused too much on politics and almost forgot about monster hunting. Does that mean that if you enjoyed the political intrigue then you're childish?

I LOVED that Witcher 3 finally let me live my fantasy of being a wandering problem solver going village to village taking contracts, I've wanted that ever since I played the first game and started reading the books after the second. I loved that so many quests highlighted the HUMANITY of the world or lack of it at times. Who or what is a monster, what is a human with the lack of humanity, these silent questions resonated in my mind for a lot of quests/contracts in the game.

All 3 games do something unique and there's nothing wrong with them being different. Similarly someone not liking something is perfectly valid but disparaging others because it doesn't fit what you like or consider good and simply dismissing it as 'not-adult' is going nowhere.

It had nothing to do with Geralt's character, the circumstances forced him to get involved in the plot. The fact that Geralt does not like politics does not stop politics from existing. Anyway, if Geralt's character is so limiting when it comes to RPG design, perhaps it is a good thing if he retires and will not appear in more games.

limiting for who? you? definitely not for me... there are plenty of other RPG games you can play with "less limiting characters"... so nobody is forcing you...

limiting for who? you? definitely not for me... there are plenty of other RPG games you can play with "less limiting characters"... so nobody is forcing you...

The games were not made only for you, and as far as I know the latest news is that Geralt's story is indeed over. I merely pointed out one of the reasons why that decision is a good idea.

All 3 games do something unique and there's nothing wrong with them being different. Similarly someone not liking something is perfectly valid but disparaging others because it doesn't fit what you like or consider good and simply dismissing it as 'not-adult' is going nowhere.

I'm okay with them being different but different doesn't mean disconnected and with a story which has been simplified. The game doesn't explore the reason which motivated the characters to take the decision they took or why they acted like they did. That's a sign of an adult game. The game doesn't explore the stories which were started in TW2 and should have been ended in a proper way. The game doesn't keep coherence between what happened in the previous games. If they had done this, they would have shown to their players that there was the intention to create a consistent story instead of one which could amaze newcomers. There is no coherence even in TW3 story itself (it has a lot of plot holes). And also there is the problem with sex in the game. Some people tries to banalize this subject when it's important in order to create the impression of a real world in a game. If you don't want to put it, don't do it but, if you do, do it right. TW2 sex scenes look much more realistic than the ones of TW3, which lacks of variety and more things. Those of TW3 seems like a fairy tale to me.

You can tell a different story with a similar tone and, IMO, the tone in TW3 has changed for worse, it's much more brighter that TW2. Also disconnected and simplified

All this makes me think that the game was targeted for a different kind of audience. A more profitable one so the tone of the future games will be more or less the same

Last edited:
I don't care for whether it'll be a politics story or a personal story (though what could be more personal than clearing your own name and saving your girlfriend?), I just want a GOOD story. TW3 didn't have it. It relied on shallowly written characters, contrived plot points and forced unconvincing melodrama. If this isn't childish then what is?

Last edited:
well yea that's exactly what dumbing down the world around you and the 'bad' character's is....childish. I don't know what else to call it. I'm not trying to be very insulting either to people who like that I like simple games as much as I do complex one's but that's what made the witcher series special, was because it wasn't simple. it had mystery. it felt real because it had people who had ulterior motives that you would piece together throughout the story. the first two games developed the 'bad' guys so much better.Jacque, Letho, Iorveth, Yaevinn, Sile, Pillippa, Princess Adda, the list goes on. The OP nailed it, the first two games was about picking the lesser evil usually or just going with your gut instinct, with no real objective morality it was usually subjective and you could rationalize helping anyone in those games even if they were 'bad', tw3 was just kill this bad guy because he's pure evil.

with that said I completely agree that TW2 lacked contracts and monster hunting and after all Geralt is a witcher. I think they could've easily solved that though and still kept their formula of incredible character's and story telling. Not really sure what the hell went wrong it seems like they could've simply solved the lack of contracts. Mybe they just ran out of resources after creating the huge open world, I really don't know. But Instead we got more contracts but they took away one of the main attractions of the first two games for the fans that bought them and enjoyed those games more. the story and character's part of it anyways.

And yea I think people realize no one is forcing us but I know i'll be more cautious next time before buying from CdRed if this is the direction they are going, given the fact they are replacing Geralt I personally am very unlikely to buy another witcher but my hope is that they will still fix some of the issues with this game at least. And i'm still undecided on Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
tw3 was just kill this bad guy because he's pure evil.

While I get the point you're going for, I think it would be more fair to say "kill this bad guy because he wants to abduct your adopted daughter and use her abilities in order to escape his dying world by conquering your world ... potentially killing your adopted daughter in the process." Ciri explains Eredin's motivations at the end of The Isle of the Mists, but really his motivations are irrelevant. Regardless of what they are, you don't have much to talk about with him when he wants to do the above in order to accomplish his goal - escaping his dying world.

EDIT: Specifically, it is mentioned here:

Geralt: What's Eredin after? What's he want from you?

Ciri: What everyone wants - to control my powers. His home world faces annihilation. Eredin's decided to invade ours. Brilliant wouldn't you say? Can't achieve much on his own, so he needs to bring in an army. Except his navigators can't possibly move him and thousands of Anne Elle between planes. Their abilities won't allow it.

Geralt: Whereas yours will ...

Ciri: Exactly. And if I die in the process ... well that's a necessary sacrifice.

Last edited:
I'm okay with them being different but different doesn't mean disconnected and with a story which has been simplified. The game doesn't explore the reason which motivated the characters to take the decision they took or why they acted like they did. That's a sign of an adult game. The game doesn't explore the stories which were started in TW2 and should have been ended in a proper way. The game doesn't keep coherence between what happened in the previous games. If they had done this, they would have shown to their players that there was the intention to create a consistent story instead of one which could amaze newcomers. There is no coherence even in TW3 story itself (it has a lot of plot holes). And also there is the problem with sex in the game. Some people tries to banalize this subject when it's important in order to create the impression of a real world in a game. If you don't want to put it, don't do it but, if you do, do it right. TW2 sex scenes look much more realistic than the ones of TW3, which lacks of variety and more things. Those of TW3 seems like a fairy tale to me.

You can tell a different story with a similar tone and, IMO, the tone in TW3 has changed for worse, it's much more brighter that TW2. Also disconnected and simplified

All this makes me think that the game was targeted for a different kind of audience. A more profitable one so the tone of the future games will be more or less the same

Its as much a sequel to TW2 as the latter was to TW1, so basically not at all. Thats been a flaw of this series since the beginning, each game is a standalone and made to appeal to new players.

People complained about the Mass Effect Trilogy but it was far more consistent and choices mattered a lot more. But then again CDPR never promised anything in that regard and most haven't even played the first two games so they had to make TW3 more accessible etc.

Also there is still plenty of dark stuff in the game or did you think the Baron arc was a fairy tale? WTF
And the expansions have some gritty stuff too.

TW3 wasn't perfect and the main story was certainly worse than TW2's (best story by far) but its still a great and mature game.

---------- Updated at 02:31 PM ----------

I am more upset about the scoa'tael thing to be honest and the war and politics being overlooked and lack of TW2 continuity and jumping ahead 6 months and missing a bunch of stuff there. the whole finding someone and giving them a piece of candy like in tw1, ok fine take that out, but then again it's suppose to be an RPG and you don't have to do them in TW1, I think those encounters should clearly be more complex. And I really don't care as much about the amount of sexual encounters Geralt had(although the size of this game Gealt should of had a few more) as I do the quality, the sex scenes were just simply a step back not just casual hooker sex but also other scenes, for example the sex scene in the elven bathhouse with triss was done well imo in tw2, the lighthouse in tw3 was a step backwards.

And 'no just no' to the brothel actually feeling like an actual real-life brothel? you're very clever.

Agree on the Triss sex scene, then again Triss in general was shafted and a less interesting character in TW3. I also didn't like the dumbed down politics and lack of TW2 continuity. But the same thing happaned with TW1 in TW2, its like the game barely existed apart from the epilogue scene.

As a sequel to TW2, TW3 is lacking no doubt about that bu judged on its own its a great game (especially with the expansions which had far better stories than the main game's lame Wild Hunt story arc). It made Geralt more "human" and relatable, in the other two games I didn't care this much for him.

Also the Baron arc was outstanding, Skellige was great too etc. Not to mention all the great side quests. I think there is still a lot of enjoyment to be found

Last edited:
Its as much a sequel to TW2 as the latter was to TW1, so basically not at all. Thats been a flaw of this series since the beginning, each game is a standalone and made to appeal to new players.

People complained about the Mass Effect Trilogy but it was far more consistent and choices mattered a lot more. But then again CDPR never promised anything in that regard and most haven't even played the first two games so they had to make TW3 more accessible etc.

Also there is still plenty of dark stuff in the game or did you think the Baron arc was a fairy tale? WTF
And the expansions have some gritty stuff too.

TW3 wasn't perfect and the main story was certainly worse than TW2's (best story by far) but its still a great and mature game.

---------- Updated at 02:31 PM ----------

Agree on the Triss sex scene, then again Triss in general was shafted and a less interesting character in TW3. I also didn't like the dumbed down politics and lack of TW2 continuity. But the same thing happaned with TW1 in TW2, its like the game barely existed apart from the epilogue scene.

As a sequel to TW2, TW3 is lacking no doubt about that bu judged on its own its a great game (especially with the expansions which had far better stories than the main game's lame Wild Hunt story arc). It made Geralt more "human" and relatable, in the other two games I didn't care this much for him.

Also the Baron arc was outstanding, Skellige was great too etc. Not to mention all the great side quests. I think there is still a lot of enjoyment to be found

I completely agree with you regarding Mass Effect. That was a saga with coherency. With the best save import I've ever seen and with every secondary character properly adressed in it's conclusion. And there was like 14 of them.

Well, I can assure you that they defenetly said that Iorveth was going to appear and I also read that TW3 was going to be a more personal story but I never imagined that politics will be reduced in a single quest and the scoia'tel/non human plot was going to be eliminated. Even when TW2 lacks of connection with TW1, it has the same structure: the conflicts between nonhumans and humans and the politics between the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard are the core points of the game. It was reasonable to assume that, even when they want to create a more personal story, these two plots would had been a important part of the story and the result that one of them was restrain into a bad written quest and the other, well, it seems like the scoia'tel never existed.

I'm agree with you that the Baron quest was well written. That and HoS were the parts more similar to the previous games but the rest is has a tone for differente kind of players. If I had to judge TW3 just as a standalone game, I would never say that it's a great RPG. There is no decision/consequence system: you can take decision but you don't see the outcome except for some ending slides. The world doesn't changes. Also, the story it's full of holes, especially when you arrived to Novigrad.

IMO, the quality of the writting has been cleared reduce in two or three levels

Couldn't agree more. The problem (for us) is that it worked really well. It seems that console players, new players or teenagers are the place where the money exists so It would be normal to expect this type of story in future games.

They really had no choice but to dumb down the story if they wanted to expand their audience. Newcomers would have been completely lost which they probably already were anyways since there are so many character's and references and I think to combat that they instead made it a huge open world with a lot of stuff to loot(mostly pointless), way more contracts, and way more side quests that have nothing to do with those close to Geralt and then of course a main story that is pretty straight forward. If they would've added the politics and any more of the story from tw2 or tw1 it would've probably been even more troubling for new players to follow along.

Unfortunately that left us out to hang. Ones that loved the story telling before and the style before.

Last edited:
They really had no choice but to dumb down the story if they wanted to expand their audience. Newcomers would have been completely lost which they probably already were anyways since there are so many character's and references and I think to combat that they instead made it a huge open world with a lot of stuff to loot, way more contracts, and way more side quests that have nothing to do with those close to Geralt and then of course a main story that is pretty straight forward. If they would've added the politics and any more of the story from tw2 or tw1 it would've probably been even more troubling for new players to follow along.

Exactly and I can't really blame them. TW1 and TW2 weren't that popular all things considered, they wanted TW3 to be accesible to new players. So they dumbed down the politcs and made a standalone story with barely any references to the previous games.

But like I said the open world, the great side quests etc. and standalone arcs like Baron story or Skellige made up for it imho. And the great expansions improved the game further.

@Sam2305 They never said our choices would matter though unlike Bioware. I know Iorveth was supposed to be in TW3 but he was cut alongside a bunch of other stuff (like the Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad).

I think TW3 is still a great game but I can't say I disagree with your complaints. The dumbed down politics, the lack of scoiatel (its like they just disappeared), the awful Wild Hunt etc. were all weak aspects of the game. But I still enjoyed it a lot, prefer it to TW1 vastly but TW2 definitely had the best story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom