Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults [SPOILERS]

+
Linkenski;n7040950 said:
IThey abandoned, not their integrity, but at least some of their worth in my eyes because it's no longer a game designed for people like me.

This.

Had they at the very least released an EE adressing some of the biggest issues, i could die a happy man tomorrow, but the silense and lack of acknowledgement from their part just makes it even worse.

Last edited:
Maerd;n48878 said:
then killing Radovid is 1/10, because it's not a brainer. Mostly, people would leave Radovid alive only out of curiosity to see the different ending. The game give you a clear nudge to kill Radovid
I disagree. When you don't really think about this decision could go both ways. Geralt cannot shut up about how he's not a hired assassin during this quest for a reason. The quest is a side quest for a reason too. If you really role-play the game you can very well decline this whole thing.
I did on my first playthrough and it was a great ending in my opinion.

Overall you make pretty solid points I think. W3 isn't as nuanced as W2 or W1. But isn't that necessary for a very personal and emotional story that CDPR aimed for in this one?

Black_Fish;n9865921 said:
Overall you make pretty solid points I think. W3 isn't as nuanced as W2 or W1. But isn't that necessary for a very personal and emotional story that CDPR aimed for in this one?

Is nuance exclusive for epic high-stakes stories?

Last edited:
As one who plays this game for the visuals after reading some of this thread I think I may have missed out on some interesting content. I may play through more of the story in W3 to catch up. But it will probably be to see more areas that can only be reached by a certain mission or quest. That's the downside to playing for the graphics. By not doing most of the missions and quests you simply can't get into a few or more cool looking areas, towns, caves or wherever. Well I had to do the mission to get into Skellige. No way was I going miss out on the snow mountains.

I didn't find the Witcher 3 to be so black and white as you claim. I did enjoy the first and second games stories more than the main quest for the Witcher 3. Some of the side quests had good looking people that were bad. The main quests evil character wasn't bad. Something you have to think about with a character like Junior is that he is likely abusing himself inadvertently and that has an effect on his appearance over a long period of time. If you look at a lot of older abusers in real life they often look sick, unhealthy, and tired due to abusing themselves with substance abuse, alchohol, and perhaps even physical torture. Their victims often only get abused once in a while compared to the constant abuse they do to themselves. Even the main rider of the wild hunt's philosophy on life would take it's tole. He seems to enjoy pain even if it's him on the receiving end. Geralt is a gray character and he always looks tries to find out the real story no matter weather it's a monster or a human.

The only thing I really think could be said was taken from the game is the sex. One might argue that sex is immature in theme the way it was in the first two games. I personally prefer it that way. It's more fun when the relationships aren't so serious like it is with Yennifer, Triss, and even Shani in the Witcther 3. For me I play games to escape serious relationships which are what you have in reality. That was the most annoying thing about the third games main quest for me. It was to centered on family responsibilities and relationships. The only somewhat serious part of the game I would like is the stories Geralt is trying to unfold as a detective. Generally the Witcher 3 had many of these in the side quests, and parts of them in the main quest.

Aside from that I thought the helper features added in detracted from the game a bit. I know you can turn them off so I guess it's not a big deal.

UnknownQuanity;n9900251 said:
The only thing I really think could be said was taken from the game is the sex. One might argue that sex is immature in theme the way it was in the first two games. I personally prefer it that way. It's more fun when the relationships aren't so serious like it is with Yennifer, Triss, and even Shani in the Witcther 3.

In my opinion, TW3 presents relationships in a more mature way than the previous games, but that is because it spends more effort on their and the characters' portrayal, so players can understand them better. TW1 and TW2 are lacking in this aspect, even if there is perhaps a bit too much family focus in the third game. The copy and pasted sex scenes are a separate issue, I do not think these have much to do with the "maturity" of the game by themselves.

Aside from that I thought the helper features added in detracted from the game a bit. I know you can turn them off so I guess it's not a big deal.

They should not be an issue unless the game is designed with them being enabled in mind. Using the witcher senses is also often required by quests (it appears in objectives nearly 500 times), but it is more of a storytelling device.

sv3672;n9939351 said:
In my opinion, TW3 presents relationships in a more mature way than the previous games.

No, not even close. TW3 is all about love and father-daughter classic relationship that we can see in many movies nowadays. TW2 reflected much better the complexity of every character and showed that every person is world in itself. Characters were complicated while in the last game they were either good or bad.

CDPR went for the simple thing: appeal to the player with classic and understandable emotions and simple characters

Top Bottom