And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta Gwent for 18 months was promoted through trailers, sponsors and esports. We were brought into the idea that this was the vision they wanted to keep and build upon. Even during the 6 month drought the name Homecoming got people excited that Gwent was coming home. It was called GWENT HOMECOMING in the letter. Yet it doesn't exist anymore. Trust, attachment, time and money was robbed away in that lifespan.

There's a reason why other card games stick with their foundations even during beta. CDPR not only changed it's foundations, but demolished them. This is a huge PR disaster they can't recover from. It can't be salvaged because even if HC is improved, it will still be met with negativity because many players will still feel resentment. Now you have to wonder how long can this bad PR be sustainable?

I used to love GWENT, and I feel the same as you do, although maybe not to the same extent.

I think the graphics are amazing now, and they've added some cool stuff, like the tutorial, and the faction reward map thingy. However, I really dislike that they've changed every aspect of game play. The turns feel long and monotonous, no strategies that were once viable are anything even close to usable, and I just don't feel good about this game update. I'll try it for another week or so, but if it doesn't get better, I'll probably uninstall. This honestly saddens me, as I used to often play this game over Skype with my close friend who lives in a different province, and who I hardly see anymore. Either way, I'll keep up to date with the developments, and see if it's ever worth coming back.
New graphics are kind of cool. The boards grew old fast though as I'm taking out of the game throwing my cards in the dirt instead of in a tavern. The dirt works fur Thronebreaker but not gwent. The reward book is fantastic and would have loved that in the beta. The old tutorials was much better as it covered each faction and you got a leader for completing it. I guess they cut that since all the factions are the same, might as well just make them all neutral cards at this point. Unless I'm missing finding the advanced tutorial new one useless it does not cover orders, bloodlust etc. I imagine very offputting to a new player.
Post automatically merged:

T
Beta Gwent for 18 months was promoted through trailers, sponsors and esports. We were brought into the idea that this was the vision they wanted to keep and build upon. Even during the 6 month drought the name Homecoming got people excited that Gwent was coming home. It was called GWENT HOMECOMING in the letter. Yet it doesn't exist anymore. Trust, attachment, time and money was robbed away in that lifespan.

There's a reason why other card games stick with their foundations even during beta. CDPR not only changed it's foundations, but demolished them. This is a huge PR disaster they can't recover from. It can't be salvaged because even if HC is improved, it will still be met with negativity because many players will still feel resentment. Now you have to wonder how long can this bad PR be sustainable?
The worst was it was hidden basically until the ptr. All we saw was a couple cards. They made sure to show iris to make people think the rows mattered again. I saw that card and thought " OK maybe they are actually designing deep, balanced cards" anyway Nothing about it was going back to roots. A huge lie and one I think a lawyer could take on honestly, even though it's beta it was basically a scam. Our money funded a separate product, which was then sold back to us, it's obvious no time was spent on the multiplayer portion, feels like they threw it together over a weekend which is probably why we didn't see any gameplay before the ptr. People would not have bought premium kegs, or legendary kegs had they seen the changes. No one saw the gameplay until it was too late. I've never felt so cheated from a product.

Last edited:
So after reading all 25 pages of this thread i feel compelled to respond myself.
Because i`m lazy, i´m going to quote myself:
Ok i guess this thread is as good as any to add my thoughts about Homecoming.
I would especially like to address all those people saying HC gwent has so much more potential.
Here goes:

The Provision Deckbuilding
I have to say i do like the provions idea and it should be really nice for fine tuning cards but i dont see how the provisions system couldnt have been added to pre HC gwent.

The New Mechanics
Its beside the point if i like those or not, the argument is that they give more design space.
To this i would like to say: no, they ARE the design space. There wouldnt have been any problem in adding order to cards in pre HC gwent. (To iterate my point: look at MTG they add several new keyword abilities per set and noone would get the idea saying those abilities increase design space because creating the abilities themselves is the design space.)

Less Rows
Ok so this just takes away from the design space, nothing else to add.

The Coinflip Fix
This does actually seem like quite a good solution to me. Not perfect and i would probably still prefer to play last most of the time its at least way better than it was before.

The New Drawing System
This to seems like its just forcing how the game plays out. Round one will always go on until a player has at most 5 cards left because that is when card advantage kicks in, what it takes from you is the option to pass for a card quality advantage in exchange for the gameplay disadvantage of playing first in round 3.

The New Mulligans
While interesting on first sight i have to say they too seem lackluster to me.
Besides mulliganing cards you absolutely dont want to draw, there doesnt seem to be a point in using the mulligans before round 3. No blacklisting further adds to this. Also even if he might not be heavily played i do think Letho of Gulet is pretty bad card design.

Artifacts And New Weather
These seem really binary as there are too few ways to interact with those. Again because of the forced long first round you cant just pass if you dont have an appropiate answer to handle them. Before there was at least 1 weather clear in each deck and you had more space to play around weather with another row, granted now there is pretty much only one weather (Ragh Nar Roog) but that only adds to the problem. Its not really feasible to have weather clear when there is so few good weather. Artifacts just seem like a bad card type for gwent as interaction with them is destroy it with a specific destroy artifact card or just have them there the whole round. Not to mention the advantage of not dropping a unit.

The New Board
So i dont know, maybe i got this wrong? As far as i understood in gwent story wise i would enter a pub in the witcher world
and play a round of gwent the famous card game. Please correct me if im mistaken. If so then please why is there an animated 3d leader on my board? Whats he supposed to be? Is he like a harry potter magical chess figur? Are gwent cards 2 meters big? Honestly those are all rhetorical questions as i already know the answer: yea well sorry but in thronebreaker you do play the leader and the cards represent you very real armies, we couldnt care less about the immersion in gwent as thronebreaker is really all that counts. Sure this is just a minor issue and nothing one couldnt get used to but still it does leave a bad taste.

The Card Overhaul
When i started playing gwent i was amazed how complex this game was for just having the very simple goal of having more points than your opponent. I also really liked the consistency of the game (imo comparable to VS-System an old tcg from upperdeck entertainment which i liked a lot).
Now it kinda feels more like what i would have first expected after reading the rules.
You just put out points pretty much there doesnt seem to be the big plays you can make yourself and/or try to prevent your opponent from making because of your play. There is almost no more thinning (and i dont know what problem people have with drawing your whole deck or at least close to it, its not like it was really easy and there was no interaction there.). Draws are more game defining than before. Granted this is kinda a first impression as i didnt play much constructed after HC, i tried for 2 or 3 days and then rather played arena because i didnt really like it. Faction identity seems gone. It just feels way more random (missing tutors, 2 copies limit, no blacklisting in mulligans). Also the game flow really feels slower now a days .

All in all i do feel quite disappointed by homecoming, it doesnt really feel like an improvement at this point.
It could get better but i had my hopes up for HC and after that its really hard to get them up again for future patches.
It still has potential but imo not more or less but the same amount of potential pre hc gwent had with just a worse game to start.

And not to brag but to maybe add some weight to my post i would like to mention i have been playing tcgs for 20 years now, including multiple pro tours in mtg, pro circuits in vs-system, was legend in HS and tes Legends, played pro ladder in gwent and could list at least 10 more tcg/ccg i have played.

... That doesn't mean that it's objectively bad.

I also would like to respond to this, as this seems to be an argument Archpriest really likes and i have read it countless times in this thread.
Yes sir, the game is not objectively bad same as any movie or book or what have you. The one missing the point though is you. Nothing is objectively good or bad as those are just not objective attributes. Usually though people can agree on a consensus about what is good or bad, at least in their social circles. Looking at the Gwent forum as its social circle the consensus here seems to be that is indeed bad (at least from what i have read). Obviously that`s no prove for its objective badness, but yea well asking for prove for something being good or bad is just a strawman as neither good nor bad is ever objective.

I also read a few times that hc Gwent doesn`t really have more rng than ob or cb Gwent.
Whenever i read this i`m left wondering are you trying to kid me or yourself?
2 bronze limit alone adds so much more variance not to mention the loss of blacklisting.

About the more or less skill question, i can`t really say i have played much after hc (even though i planned to and was really looking forward to hc) but just from my first impression its seems like i have less decisions to make.
The lost row alone makes it kinda moot to consider in which row you want to play something.
Knowing the possible big plays in the game seems less important as there isn`t really that much you can do to play around the situations to make said big play possible, now it seems more like you either have a fitting answer like a removal to disrupt the big play or you don`t.

Personally by now i lost almost all interest in Gwent and it makes me a little sad. Will still look if the next patch brings any substantial improvements but after being hyped for hc my expectations are pretty low.
On the plus side, reading most of the after hc threads here made me look forward to Artifact and i guess i`m just gonna try that till the next Gwent patch, which is the last hope i have for Gwent.

Hi Arkane,

I replied to fimbulthrim.
As I see it, both gwent beta and hc are skill heavy. In both games you have to decide, when to play what card, press in round 2 or leave the best cards for R3 (only to be punished by kambi or scorch or whatever). Sure, some cards might lead us players to abuse them in all mean ways that are possible, but this pushes creativity. And leads to another way of deckbuilding. In gwent beta you built your coredeck and no matter what the other player did, you had your working gameplan. In hc much more emphasis lies on countering, outmaneuvering, planing for wider possibilities etc.
And as I said earlier (this is a truth, hard to accept but thats live): a card playing game MUST have variance and that means rng. Without it (my gameplan functions every single time) I know the outcome of every single game when the first card is played. The only skills that are required: netdecking and watching youtube. Thats so freaking boring even when winning that I prefer agile thinking in hc.
So I hope, despite the backlash from many fans that cdpr will stick to their vision of the game. We will see.....

The problem is they are the most arrogant design team I have ever seen in 35 years of gaming. They wont admit they messed up. I would buy this version even though I've spent enough on it already. I don't want to see it go.

feels so true, cdpr released the witcher 3, one of the best games ever made, they are not capable of making bad games ...(gwent after homecoming). And god damn the provisions system feels so pretentious, as if there is some mathematical equation that has decided that igni should be 2 points in strength and cost 12 provisions... (wow we are so intelligent and fourth wall breaking) I hope they don't believe that, would cause more damage than it would help.

feels so true, cdpr released the witcher 3, one of the best games ever made, they are not capable of making bad games ...(gwent after homecoming). And god damn the provisions system feels so pretentious, as if there is some mathematical equation that has decided that igni should be 2 points in strength and cost 12 provisions... (wow we are so intelligent and fourth wall breaking) I hope they don't believe that, would cause more damage than it would help.
Provision system has been the opposite of what I had hoped. Instead of making cool themed decks I'm spending more time doing arithmetic and most times have to scrap an idea for filler cards.

Provision system has been the opposite of what I had hoped. Instead of making cool themed decks I'm spending more time doing arithmetic and most times have to scrap an idea for filler cards.
Now we're talking!!! Man, the Provision system one way let you have more golds but also force you to bring trash into your deck, and therefore:

[...] Most of my games end up being both players throwing trash at each other [...] The game revolved around who is keeping a better 'secret' last move to top the other player [...]

When you have a cool themed deck in your mind and Provision system be like:
images.jpg

Provision is just something to help developers balance the game easier. I don't know why it's rated so highly by the community when it does nothing for the gameplay. It ends in deckbuilding and most people just netdeck.

Another thing that seems to be praised is that they fixed the coin flip. They actually made it worse! Hear me out. The second player can just play all their snow ball effects and not get punished by CA spy, dry pass or even early pass.

Taking out the skill of card advantage was pretty bad for the game imo. A skill that separated even a 4k player from someone stuck on 3.7k or so was knowing when to pass and getting card advantage. It was pretty common to see 3.7k players making massive errors in terms of passing etc but that's ok because that's a skill of the game which they could improve upon and once they learned that they would find themselves reaching 4k. This game doesn't have skill in terms of interaction between creatures/minions but the skill of passing and pushing was in a way a proxy for that.

They could have fixed the coin flip in a more subtle manner. They didn't need a hand limit and all this card draw. Just tactical advantage and an extra mulligan would have been enough. The coin flip didn't need to be exactly 50/50. HS is very successful and the player on the coin is at a disadvantage most of the time (not always, e.g. miracle rogue) and that disadvantage could be 40/60 still. The issue in this game was that it was more like 30/70 but they could have fixed that pretty easily with an advantage given to the player going first. It's unfortunate they limited hand size and it could only be because they wanted the game to work on mobile. Limiting hand size to 10 though would have been ok if we didn't have so much draw.

More often than not, the person who has 'Last say' in R3 wins the match. It's like, you can have a 20 point lead, and then a scorch gets lined up as last card, or Geralt kills your main point maker or w/e and you get grounded to 0 just because you didn't play the last card but your opponent did. IMO hard passing round 2 should have more negative side (more cards with resilience? more cards that can give you CA in round 3?)

Now we're talking!!! Man, the Provision system one way let you have more golds but also force you to bring trash into your deck

My opinion is that provision hurts more than it helps. *

1) Most notable example is the Silver witchers.
In old Gwent you had to sacrifice 3 silver slots for silver witchers. If another spot was used for silver spy or weather clear/dmg/utility silver, you were only left with 1-2 free spots to boost your archetype. So silver witchers only worked in decks with archetypes that supported them.

In homecoming since you don't sacrifice any gold spot you csn just jam them in every deck for burst points and thinning. Same goes for any point-provision cost effective card. This results to many similar decks.

2) You can't create decks with over 30 cards.
It might haven't been big in old Gwent, but with the addition of 1-2 cards that interact with big decks it would have easily been an archetype.

* (Yes you can do fast balance changes, but if some card is oppressive and unfun, provision cost changing won't make that card fun and interactive, it will just force people not to include it in their decks.)

The devs followed instructions. I'm sure they did their best. But the game is terrible. I mean, it took several hours just to create a complete set of animated cards (where applicable) and delete all the static ones (where applicable). The game is so slow, so boring, so drab. It has been dumbed down beyond all belief.

They removed the third row when the game desperately needs more room for more cards. When someone suggested the return of the third row they were told that it was impossible and that their decks should be changed so that they don't run out of board space. How pathetic.

And after all this time as a so-called Beta (when it really was an Alpha) they released an entirely new game with little or no testing and suddenly claimed that the game was out of Beta. What a joke.

Sure the old game needed some tweaking. The silver spies and Create mechanic both needed addressing. So did the blue and red coin issue. But the game was still much better than this Homecoming abomination.

And it's clear that CD Projekt Wrekt was so focused on the game's appearance. They forgot about the game's mechanics. They forgot about strategy and tactics.

I haven't deleted the game yet. Then again, I have oodles of hard disk space.

More often than not, the person who has 'Last say' in R3 wins the match. It's like, you can have a 20 point lead, and then a scorch gets lined up as last card, or Geralt kills your main point maker or w/e and you get grounded to 0 just because you didn't play the last card but your opponent did. IMO hard passing round 2 should have more negative side (more cards with resilience? more cards that can give you CA in round 3?)

another bad feature added to game since homecoming: before you could predict a incoming scorch or epidemic, and atleast try to stop your opponent from lining up 5 units, now they can use eithne to ping three times (+other possible artifacts/units on board) and scorch right ahead...

I think the whole thing is a management issue. I don't believe devs are so out of touch that they ignored a lot of stuff.

I think management is pushing for their own goals, which is a wider audience. Problem with that is, the casual market is oversaturated. Why would casual players play Gwent that's trying to be Heartstone when they can just play Heartstone?

It's the same all over the AAA industry too. Everyone wants those COD sales, which they get thanks to being easy to get into i.e. wider audience, so they dumb down their game. It's just a matter of management not understanding their audience.

Casuals won't care and you're turning away actual fans.

I think the whole thing is a management issue. I don't believe devs are so out of touch that they ignored a lot of stuff.

I think management is pushing for their own goals, which is a wider audience. Problem with that is, the casual market is oversaturated. Why would casual players play Gwent that's trying to be Heartstone when they can just play Heartstone?

It's the same all over the AAA industry too. Everyone wants those COD sales, which they get thanks to being easy to get into i.e. wider audience, so they dumb down their game. It's just a matter of management not understanding their audience.

Casuals won't care and you're turning away actual fans.
Well then the management did not take into consideration the huge reward system currently in the game, and took other poor decisions to support it. I really don't see the point in buying kegs or bundles, I got everything I need at the moment and if I play with the same activity in the next couple of months I'll probably have every single card in the game. For 3 months. Yes they won't be all premium but who cares.
I have not played the beta, I started when Homecoming launched.

Provision is just something to help developers balance the game easier. I don't know why it's rated so highly by the community when it does nothing for the gameplay. It ends in deckbuilding and most people just netdeck.

Another thing that seems to be praised is that they fixed the coin flip. They actually made it worse! Hear me out. The second player can just play all their snow ball effects and not get punished by CA spy, dry pass or even early pass.
Coinflip was criticized originally be originally because of poor card design
Same. It seems incredibly restricting. You're working for an archetype (what's left of them) and all of a sudden you have to add crap because you don't have enough points. You then spend 10 minutes looki g for that crap because you need two more cards and have 5 points to add them...
Your right snake. Drives me crazy. Provisions right now are like foxdie. Slowly killing the games creativity until gwent dies alone in a cemetery. We really need a big boss to come rescue it before it's too late.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, I've got to spit posting in vegetal or from my phone. I can't seem to delete partial thoughts, even when I backspace and delete. So sorry guys.. Coin flip itself was never terrible, it was poor designed and abused cards that made it unbearable. Now it's worse. I tried playing last night and boosting my main engine with TA but I kept seeing some poor designed card that destroys the highest opponent unit over 8? If I don't play a big card ill get pinged into epidemic since every card is 3 points now. Truly feels like I'm playing a game that should be called Boost.. As the strategy now is deciding what to boost to avoid scortch or epidemic

Last edited:

I mean... have you seen the starter decks? Haha, not exactly casual friendly. The casual, pleb, newcomers get freaking wolves and peasents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom