And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because every card has been changed in Homecoming, meaning players with a smaller collection would be stuck with cards they might not have wanted. A better question would be: "Why didn't CDPR refund Meteorite Powder for premium cards?"

Couldn't they have just given the option for full mill value so that people didn't have to do it?

Couldn't they have just given the option for full mill value so that people didn't have to do it?

There were various possible solutions. But every solution has its downsides. For example, CDPR could have offered returning players the option to craft premium cards with scraps, for those that logon in Homecoming for the first time. But this could be unfair, when those players login after the expansion and thus can craft new premium cards with scraps.

Another solution could have been to have the base set premiums be craftable with scraps, while in further expansions premiums can only be craftable with Powder. However, this would create an inconsistency.

I don't know the reasoning behind CDPR's decision. We can only speculate. However, that's poor material for a discussion.

... I don't know the reasoning behind CDPR's decision. We can only speculate. However, that's poor material for a discussion.
You just have to trackback to find the answer. It's not that hard and I hope you are not that naive to think all of this was not predetermine by management or whatever.

It is also far from "poor material for a discussion", as a lot of people got burned because of this sudden change of heart.

You just have to trackback to find the answer. It's not that hard and I hope you are not that naive to think all of this was not predetermine by management or whatever.

I can understand why players might think that auto-milling the collection for scraps and changing the economy are related and that CDPR knew beforehand when they made the decision to not refund Powder. There are arguments to support that claim. Regardless, like I have mentioned, we cannot say for sure. And I rather give CDPR the benefit of the doubt.

It is also far from "poor material for a discussion", as a lot of people got burned because of this sudden change of heart.

Yes, they did and it's unfortunate. But what's done is done. Now we can only talk about hypothetical situations or speculations.

I think it's all about money, and I'm not even mad at them. Of course they have to make money.

All these decisions, whether it's removing one row, changing card abilities, changing different aspects of gameplay, changing the look, putting an end to crafting premiums with scraps....all these decisions and more are all about money, and no one can tell me they're about something else.

It's only natural for a company to want to make money. It's also natural for a company to tweak their product in order to make money.

What is unnatural however, is for a company to not know how to make money with a product. And it's pretty obvious, from every decision that Team Gwent has made, that they have absolutely no idea how to turn this project into a lucrative product.

Who does this crafting decision affect exactly? Not new players, who barely have enough scraps to craft the cards they need. It affects old beta players who were sitting on mountains of scrap from their milled collections. And I fail to see how this move is going to entice them to spend more money.

Yeah, I get it - we are moving towards making premium cards actually premium, that is to say you have to pay for it. But people who had paid for it in the past (and there are quite a number of those cases) should not have to pay for it again. They should have just given powder for milling premiums and we wouldn't be speaking of this now. Again, there is zero chance in the cosmos that people whose premium collection was milled and are stuck with useless scraps will ever spend another dollar on Meteorite Powder - and frankly there is a good chance they will not want to have anything more to do with CDPR.

There was great resistance to a number of the main changes brought by HC, and yet the team unwisely thought they knew better and they would risk antagonizing what they perhaps imagined to be a small number of players in the pursuit of a much larger (and lucrative) potential fanbase.

Bad move. Antagonizing people is just bad business, as it is the people that bring money - and upset people spread bad news. Team Gwent is proving better at antagonizing fans than at making money from them.

Sometimes I think to myself, if only I had spent some serious money on Gwent - if we all had - maybe we would still have the game we love. Maybe the devs wouldn't have to desperately try all these different things to make a profit.

But then again, maybe they would have done it anyway. And then I would be another one of those foolish persons who believed in a developer and wasted their money on a pre-release game. And I would be left feeling pretty silly.

Yeah, I get it - we are moving towards making premium cards actually premium, that is to say you have to pay for it. But people who had paid for it in the past (and there are quite a number of those cases) should not have to pay for it again. They should have just given powder for milling premiums and we wouldn't be speaking of this now. Again, there is zero chance in the cosmos that people whose premium collection was milled and are stuck with useless scraps will ever spend another dollar on Meteorite Powder - and frankly there is a good chance they will not want to have anything more to do with CDPR.
Indeed. Once bitten, twice shy.

Sometimes I think to myself, if only I had spent some serious money on Gwent - if we all had - maybe we would still have the game we love. Maybe the devs wouldn't have to desperately try all these different things to make a profit.
I tried that, it didn't work...

But then again, maybe they would have done it anyway. And then I would be another one of those foolish persons who believed in a developer and wasted their money on a pre-release game. And I would be left feeling pretty silly.
They did.

Foolish? Perhaps, more bitterly disappointed really.

I loved a game, invested in its future, and now it is gone.

In some ways, it probably hurts more that it was usurped by a pale imitation, than if it had just ceased to be. It makes it harder to get through the 5 stages of grief (I think I'm just approaching the end of the bargaining stage currently...).

CDPR aren't 'dead to me', but the trust is gone.

. Gwent was already (and still is) one of the most generous CCG out there; so much that CDPR might actually went a bit too far.

Yeah... so generous that they took a good game away from us and handed a poor, less than average game in return. And they went indeed too far. So far that everyone lost sight of them and moved elsewhere.

Any of the hardcore players would gladly give 20, 25€ to have Gwent back.

... It's only natural for a company to want to make money. It's also natural for a company to tweak their product in order to make money...
I've said it before I'll say it again - I have ZERO problems with tweaking the in-game economy so they can make some cash out of it. ZERO. It was needed. I have problems with the way it was implemented - they've blatantly LIED to our faces with the initial milling of our collections for scraps ("You won't lose nothing, you'll be able to craft your Premiums with those scraps anyway" is almost an exact quote of the argument back than and I was absolutely 1000% behind this) and a couple of weeks later they just slapped us in the faces with making these scraps pretty much useless.

For me I can say that this was the actual straw that broke the camel's back. Would I've been so pissed if I knew this in advance? I'm pretty sure I would've been way more understanding and accepting than the actual move they did, lying to us... one more time.

There was a window of almost 6 weeks where you could have crafted your premium collection. I do understand that a returning player might miss this window, but CDPR cannot delay the inevitable. Gwent was already (and still is) one of the most generous CCG out there; so much that CDPR might actually went a bit too far. The EA version would only be pay to win, which is still a lot worse.

Well I'm sorry that I, along with many other players, was waiting for cdpr to fix the mess that is HC with its artifact/monster point slam spam. Apparently it takes months to tweak some card stats. I wasn't one of those guys who abused the system by hoarding cards. It would've been fine with me if cdpr refunded meteorite power so that people who didn't own premium cards wouldn't get them for free but they screwed up and made players pay for it.

Well I'm sorry that I, along with many other players, was waiting for cdpr to fix the mess that is HC with its artifact/monster point slam spam. Apparently it takes months to tweak some card stats. I wasn't one of those guys who abused the system by hoarding cards. It would've been fine with me if cdpr refunded meteorite power so that people who didn't own premium cards wouldn't get them for free but they screwed up and made players pay for it.

As I've said before I don't even know why they milled our collections in the first place. I didn't want them to because I didn't want to manually craft all of the cards over again. If they would have simply let players mill cards that they wanted to mill like we normally do after a patch then this whole mess never would have happened.

As I've said before I don't even know why they milled our collections in the first place. I didn't want them to because I didn't want to manually craft all of the cards over again. If they would have simply let players mill cards that they wanted to mill like we normally do after a patch then this whole mess never would have happened.
They've had to do this, because they did removed cards from the game and the Bronzes were reduced from 3 to 2. Also the Silvers got removed too (as a color, at least). It was the right move. The scam came after that.

Good gracious! I'm absolutely sure this was a hot topic for long and highly controversial. BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO GWENT!?

I came back after long to play it. It was still a bit unbalanced at my time in the Beta, but all the diverse skills and abilities made it great. You could build a special deck around almost any leader and his special ability. Why got Gwent so dumbed down?
Post automatically merged:

Seriously!? Instead of answering you just move one to the garbage Thread!? I spent in the BETA at least 80 CHF. It was ok for me, I wanted to support the great game you already had. But I feel just cheated after I came back!

You lost a lot of good will! I won't spend any for this Gwent and are sorry I already purchased Thronebraker. You wont get my money so easily in the future!

Last edited:
I loved this game, but I'm really sick of it.
Why they give lock for bronze unit with Homecoming?
locks locks locks and Monsters. Gimme a break.

Last edited:
They've had to do this, because they did removed cards from the game and the Bronzes were reduced from 3 to 2. Also the Silvers got removed too (as a color, at least). It was the right move. The scam came after that.

They did not. There were a variety of methods to prevent auto-milling entire collections. What those methods did not have is simplicity. Basically, auto-milling entire collections was the easiest approach. For whatever reason, the easiest or most simple approach appears to be the go to option for the development team. I suppose it's to be expected for a "free to play" game.

Maybe they could implement some even not much profitable but still some system to change scraps for powder. Let's say even 1000 scraps for only 100 powder. I could actually do something with that 700k scraps i got from beta.

Maybe they could implement some even not much profitable but still some system to change scraps for powder. Let's say even 1000 scraps for only 100 powder. I could actually do something with that 700k scraps i got from beta.
10:1 (10%) is a very very good ratio which was what present before the policy change. Actually, there was one combo which gave you 12.5% (Rare cost 400 scraps and gave 50 powder). MP is the only source of income for this game and it only be possible by either spending a lot of time or some actual money. Only then the game can sustain.

There was a window of almost 6 weeks where you could have crafted your premium collection. I do understand that a returning player might miss this window, but CDPR cannot delay the inevitable. Gwent was already (and still is) one of the most generous CCG out there; so much that CDPR might actually went a bit too far. The EA version would only be pay to win, which is still a lot worse.

Please stop this mantra about Gwent being the most generous CCG. Yes, you can easily earn packs as a free player, but Gwent has the highest proportion of legendary/epic/rare cards in a deck among all popular CCGs. You simply can't make a good deck in Gwent out of common or common+rare cards. At least one third of your deck has to be epics and legendaries by design, because gold cards are so much stronger than bronzes.

Moreover, all beta players have a full (some have even premium) collection because of two reasons:

- CDPR milled all cards for full value, which is not gonna happen again.
- There were practically no new cards in 2 years of beta: during that time Gwent had 120-150 new cards while other CCGs receive expansions of 200-300 cards 2-3 times per year. And even then, not all beta players have a full collection.

CDPR could have offered returning players the option to craft premium cards with scraps, for those that logon in Homecoming for the first time.

As a moderator, you should probably know there is no more Homecoming. The game is now called "GWENT: The Witcher Card Game" on GOG.com, and there's no mention about any coming home.
Post automatically merged:

They did not. There were a variety of methods to prevent auto-milling entire collections. What those methods did not have is simplicity. Basically, auto-milling entire collections was the easiest approach. For whatever reason, the easiest or most simple approach appears to be the go to option for the development team. I suppose it's to be expected for a "free to play" game.

The most simple approach is usually the best for complex engineering tasks.

As many people above have already noted, milling the collection is not the issue. Removing the ability to craft premiums with scraps is the problem.

Last edited:
C'mon, who are you guys trying to fool. Most of you complaining now about the milling policy have already gone way before this changes went live. This is no more than another excuse to keep the complains going, and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom