And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Game dies. Gwent isn't any different from other games. I don't see it happening here though. At least, not at this stage.

name 1 other game that you beta tested a completely different game than 1.0 release?

i know the forums are a very small sample of players, but for every "like" there are 5-6 "dislikes" in the game

people have problems with mechanics
people have problems with the UI
people have problems with the balancing
people have problems with the change in development direction

to me this game no longer feels like Gwent. This feels like Thronebreaker Online....
I don't want to play Thronebreaker Online, and neither do many others.

at this point, it doesn't matter if Thronebreaker Online is a good, great or exceptional game. What matters is what the players think. and you have a significant pool of people that are displeased one or more aspects of the game.

If people are not pleased with the game, regardless of the quality and effort put into it, the people will go elsewhere.

currently CDPR are telling me: "hey here is a released game, have fun playing a broken product while we fix it"
well i'm not having fun, i'm going to go play something that is actually fun.

so now CDPR has a harder job because now they not only need to fix their mess but now they need to convince me to come back. they need to convince A LOT of people to come back.

Just change the name to Thronbreaker Online and stop pretending this is still Gwent.

at this point, it doesn't matter if Thronebreaker Online is a good, great or exceptional game. What matters is what the players think. [...] If people are not pleased with the game, regardless of the quality and effort put into it, the people will go elsewhere.

And herein lies the issue. This basically sums up both sides of the argument.

Homecoming has the potential to become a great game, but it won't be like the Gwent of yore.

Yea, and that's a bit of the problem right there... ingame resources in a game I no longer want to play are just lost money.

Look, I get what you are saying... I generally never spend money on beta games exactly for the reason something like that (or worse) might happen to any title in development at any point, but I still can't fault poeple for being upset at what CDPR did with HC... especially those players that basically created a blossoming pro and streaming scene around the game... with CDPR's support, I might add.

Fair enough.
And we have a little misunderstanding. I'm not blaming ppl because they're upset. They have the right to being upset. I'm upset too in someway. May I handle it better. But how ppl playing the victim and cast off their resposibility is just wrong... the situation isn't black and white... being upset and playing the role of the victim isn't help and lead ofc to nowhere. at least thats what I think... and if my english would be better I could write a proper comment but it's shate...

And herein lies the issue. This basically sums up both sides of the argument.

Homecoming has the potential to become a great game, but it won't be like the Gwent of yore.

that was CDPR's mistake.

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

― Shigeru Miyamoto

The game design, not card changes were the problem. I can go in detail about HC having more potential and better design, if you provide any argument to claim beta Gwent was superior.

Might be true. This has less to do with HC and more to do with post Midwinter being a complete mess. As you said earlier, Xavier is highly questionable. Banishing an entire graveyard isn't a mechanic where it's a wait and see approach. A card with such an ability making it past the planning stages is concerning. There are several areas in HC where the same holds true.

I wouldn't say the sky is falling or HC is a terrible product. Despite the fact I personally dislike some of the changes it's a step up from post Midwinter. I still dislike some of the changes. Hand limit being the worst offender. There are other changes I do feel were improvements. Regardless, most of the "bad" boils down to dealing with it and adjusting at this point.

Yes, you're right. I was naive and stupid. Lesson learned:
1) never spend money on beta games,
2) CDPR is not better than other devs.
At the end of the day, it's all about money.

I hope this whole Gwent thing serves as an eye opener for all the fanboys out there. Yes they are a little different in their commercial and pro-consumer strategies (especially when considering the scum that generally plagues the medium) but CDPR is still looking out for profit in the 1st place, just as any other business.

----//----

About this whole HC thing... As a early closed beta player, with well over 600h in gwent in the last 2 years, i just feel cheated and revolted. I feel like all the time i've played and provided feedback were for NOTHING. CDPR plough through their "vision" of the game, despite overwhelming community feedback otherwise, insisting on things we didnt wanted and that they still havent provided reasonable explanations (vide 2 rows).

Now we have a game that is NOTHING what we, as a community, wanted. A game that is UNTESTED and that will required MONTHS to become even balanced, let alone fun to play. Thats why i called it Gwent 2.

They had a solid base to work with after 2 years of beta (even if I disagree with this classification. the game was officially launched with open beta, for all intents and purposes). They just needed to fix a handful of problems the game had. A full iteration of the game was completely unnecessary and uncalled for and the results are clear: gwent is now just a background for thronebreaker and will most likely vanish after the initial fuzz with the single player is over and when the big boys of TCG will arrive.

For me, personally, it is sad as this was the ONLY card game i've played and, in the end, i leave the game with a bad taste in my mouth and a completely different opinion of CDPR. I wasnt impressed with what was revealed of Cyberpunk and i'm keeping my expectations low also because of this massive gwent screw-up. I'm just glad I didn't invest 1€ on kegs because instead of being just sad and disappointed, I would instead be effing furious.

Last edited:
guess what... so can we.

what happens if too many of us pull the plug?

Some ppl leave others come. After big changes WoW was buried as dota/dota2 lol etc and they still exist and say thanks we're fine. Sometimes games are changeing and lot of ppl abbadon them because they don't like the new way and even sometimes games die after terrible changes like DAW3. But i think gwent will evolve or atleast have a chance to do it...

Some ppl leave others come. After big changes WoW was buried as dota/dota2 lol etc and they still exist and say thanks we're fine. Sometimes games are changeing and lot of ppl abbadon them because they don't like the new way and even sometimes games die after terrible changes like DAW3. But i think gwent will evolve or atleast have a chance to do it...
That could be done with beta, not with full release.. Not its just Homecoming beta, or Gwent beta 2.. So sad
Post automatically merged:

Even after updates/nerf.. It still won't be Gwent, it will be, as said before, only Thronebreaker MP.. I enjoy TB, really, but I want gwent as well, not just multi-player version of it..

That could be done with beta, not with full release.. Not its just Homecoming beta, or Gwent beta 2.. So sad

Even after updates/nerf.. It still won't be Gwent, it will be, as said before, only Thronebreaker MP.. I enjoy TB, really, but I want gwent as well, not just multi-player version of it..

Yeah that was may a poor decision from CDPR. but we'll see.

Firts of all I say it respectfully...
1.) The moderator guy are right.
2.) terms and use...
3.) CDPR is really a generous company... FE: I never seen compensation from the ice strom or from others...
4.) Those ppl don't need defense... they talking about how they feel becose they want some commiseration. Playing the victim is always easier than acknowledgeing our stupidity...
5.) They spent real money for their personal gain... or patroning something etc.. they are grown up man who are able to act... so according to the paperform they know what they do...
1) Never said the moderator was wrong.
2) Wasn't talking about terms and use ...
3) Never said CDPR wasn't generous.
4) People have the right to speak and express their thoughts and that's what these people have been doing.
5) Never said that they were forced to spend money, and yes they are taking the responsibility of their actions. A hard lesson learned. And will be cautious to patron CDPR again.

Lastly, it'd be so nice, if you can comprehend the context as well as the content of these comments before joining the discussion.

CDPR did not create Homecoming to trick or cheat players is what I have said. Their generosity should be noted and it should give them more leeway, but that's not a carte blanche to do whatever they want. Though, from a pure black and white perspective, CDPR does not owe anything to their player base. As stated in the terms of use, CDPR can pull the plug at any time.
Ugh, we know CDPR didn't deliberately make HC to trick or cheat. However, we can feel being tricked or cheated since the product that we supported was taken away and replaced by something completely different and new and mostly importantly not enjoyable. It is a feeling, and not saying CDPR indeed did so. Yes, CDPR can unplug anything and they don't owe us anything, but we can still express thoughts. Is that so wrong? Also, their generosity was noted. Multiple times through out this forum, and that doesn't mean we have to stay content with anything CDPR makes. This thread is about expressing upset due to the drastic change in HC. And that's what we have been doing UNTIL you changed the topic to business practice, so moderator, in your own words, STAY ON THE TOPIC.

Last edited:
honestly, we understand that homecoming is linked to TB. It will be difficult to back old gwent.

Cd projekt was not correct with betaplayers who invested in the game to have another game.

So why Cd projekt doesn't offer the beta gwent in a minigames at low prices. Comon best solution for everybody.

All studios propose remaster, easy for cd projekt to do that. Beta is ready to play.

So why Cd projekt doesn't offer the beta gwent in a minigames at low prices. Comon best solution for everybody.

For everyone? Careful with such statements. Anyhow, your solution has more consequences than you might have thought off. Take a look at this thread for further discussions on this matter.

Guest 4336264

Like many, I've literally just returned to this game after months away - waiting for it to come out of BETA. I've returned to find an abomination. I was expecting to find the old game, tweaked and balanced - with other improvements. Yet, I find the game has completely changed!

Previously, cards had a numerical value and some also had armour - highest scoring hand won the game. Now, most cards are really low valued, and there's some weird system using 'charges', 'zeal' and the like - nothing whatsoever to do with GWENT.

Silver cards have apparently been removed, too.

I can't make head nor tale of this game.

I'm close to uninstalling... I was initially going to buy Throne Breaker, but decided to play GWENT first. Thank goodness I did, because now I know I certainly WON'T be buying Throne Breaker - in light of the transformation of this game into an abomination wrongly titled 'GWENT'.

Here to give my opinions on HC as a player since closed beta and thousands of hours of playtime (pro ladder every season)

1. Hand limit seems to be a bad addition to game, no longer startegic passes because opponent can just play down to 4 cards (or 7 in r2) and still go to last round on even cards. Dry passing really wasn't/isn't a problem in beta. It always comes with a risk and for creative deck builders gives big advantage when opponent dry passes r1 assuming you play certain deck and then you use something totally else that excels in long rounds.

2. Artifact spamming isn't an issue if hand limit doesn't exist, they can't play multiple artifacts w/o any units if they can't always get full hand even when their opponent passes 30-40 points ahead. Also the fact that you can activate artifacts same turn and buff opponents/damage own units and then just scorch/epidemic/schirru it all away (had a game myself where on last card I just buffed my opponents units to make all 5 of them into 34 power (and opponent could do nothing to block that) and then scorched them all. wonder how my opponent reacted to going from 160+ points up to losing the game in a single turn.. propably quit the game.

3. We get less deck thinning while getting less mulligans w/o blacklisting makes the game way more RNG heavy than OB ever was (including the midwinter create fiasco) Often I lose/win games the moment cards are dealt due to getting great/horrible starting hand.

4. I do like about everything else about HC but these 3 things make the game unplayable for me (for once I feel I'm lucky for being console player and still being able to play the beta)

I will keep on trying the game but everytime I do, I get frustrated with the meta. Sure you can counter artifacts by discarding your cards but that is not very enjoyable gameplay. In beta I was always able to make decks that had some way to beat all "netdecks" in atleast some way (sure some depended on winning coinflip & drawing some excact card but still it was a chance), doesn't feel possible in HC. Running into multiple unwinnable match ups in row is quite frustrating and then switch deck so you're teched against w/e you lost against and lose against all other decks basically. Playing OB on xbox I am having tons of fun even tho meta hasn't shifted much for over 6 months.

Sincerely yours, Rizla for20

You just get to know gaming world, you buy some games, and amongst them Witcher franchize games.. and one day you try Witcher 3. YOu start to play and then discover Gwent.. and you say "Hey, thts really nice, decent and pleasant minigame to play, its fun.. lets try that multiplayer version Ive been hearing about. "
Than you instal Gwent - The witcher card game.
what woudl you think? My firts thought would be "Hey, what is that, thats not even similar, it has some common things, but its completely different game." and whatever you will stay or not, you cant just call it Gwent.

I really like TB, battles are really good and overal gameplay is great, suits the story., but I think this is so much inopriate for standalone gwent.
if devs want us to play it, they should stop calling it gwent..

Unfortunately, that is irrelevant. It's about the perception of the majority of the players. If they think a certain mechanic or card is OP, or more importantly, not fun to play against, then CDPR has a problem, even when the mechanic or card is balanced (according to the devs).

Let's say the devs create a card like this :
AutoWIN : If you have this card in your deck, you win the game.
And in order to balance it, they create another card :
AntiAutoWIN : If you have this card on your deck, it cancels AutoWIN's effect.

So...Is this balanced? Ofc it is.
Is it Fun? Ofc it isn't.
Is it good game design? To force every player to include AntiAutoWIN in all their decks in case opponent uses AutoWIN? Ofc it isn't.

There...you have the answer about the Artifacts and how healthy they are to the game.
Why its not healthy for the game? It's common sense.
1st) New players that come to the game don't know the cards, and they don't know to include artfact destroyers. So they would get stomped instanlty and more likely instant quit. Sure new players would lose, but a good designed game, like Gwent before Imlerith Sabbat or Hearthstone, can give the illusion to new players that played well and lost. Not geting ultimate destroyed by that 1 card.
2nd) When you build a deck, you are forced to autoinclude cards without giving you alternative options. You want to build a deck? You first provisions are reserved for artifact destroyers. For every faction for every archetype, on every deck. And if the enemy doesn't use artifacts? Well....useless cards (which again is balanced, because enemy will have 100% artifact removals too, and if you don't use artifacts, he has the same useless cards as you). Balanced as you say, but terrible game design and not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom