And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus christ @Archpriest....

This is starting to become obnoxious. I mean, i've been everyday in these foruns for more than 2 years, since early CB and you've been, apart from the mods, one of the most outspoken defenders of Gwent and CDPR. There's nothing wrong with that. I fully respect your opinion and you're fully entitled to have it but as time goes after the release HC you start looking more and more like the violinist in Titanic. The boat is sinking and you keep playing a happy melody, completely oblivious to your surroundings and in pure denial. Bashing the overwhelming negative feedback posted in this topic with senseless and childish pseudo-arguments, until people just cba to reply anymore.

HC is a failure. Just accept that. Not only the majority of the community acknowledges it (vide the pool in the other topic) but also the stats from gogstats. The game is in rapid decadence but that doesn't mean that everything is bad or that you cant personally have fun with it. Just please, dont be like the ostrich. Unstick from your head above the sand and look around. You're the only one here.

Last edited:
I'm confused, who's head is up who's ass? In all seriousness, such lines of discussion never go anywhere productive. So yeah.... No need for it. Trust me, I've been both the recipient and instigator of it. In neither case did it gain any ground.

And what do you want me to tell you about Freddy? Maybe look at his mood when he speaks about Homecoming.

Honestly, all of his videos made me think of burnout. He raised valid points but it didn't look like he had any desire to engage in Gwent anymore. Whether that is the case or my head is somewhere it shouldn't be is up for debate. Speculation is speculation.

Personally, I went into HC with the goal of being as objective as possible. I didn't think the changes were going to play out well but figured I'd give it a chance. After having played it for a considerable amount I'm..... indifferent but leaning toward somewhat disappointed. The game had so much potential and, despite the fact I still do enjoy it, feels like it never lived up to it. There are quite a few errors in the game play at the moment. Many of which have existed long before HC or were inexplicably revisited. I still hope they can deliver some major improvements with any upcoming patches. Wishful thinking I guess....

This is getting far too heated and personal. So, a reminder for everyone:

You ARE allowed to have and share your opinions, provided they do not violate the Forum Rules.
You ARE NOT allowed to ridicule, attack or insult others, even and especially when their opinions differ from yours.

I was using wolfsbane last week in my ST deck for use against opponents deck if they 7/8 cards to hit but it didn't get me much value.

Hows it being used now?

I was using wolfsbane last week in my ST deck for use against opponents deck if they 7/8 cards to hit but it didn't get me much value.

Hows it being used now?

Just needs to be a long round. I don't believe I've ever seen WB fail to hit above it's provision cost unless you draw into it in a short round. Even then it usually gets like... 6.

Because, among other things like insane amount of RNG - it's basically an RNG card game, that is a pay to play and pay to win game with draconian economy. But yeah, Freddy said it's the best game ever so, it must be true.

Freddy, Swim, MegaMogwai, Lifecoach and a bunch of other top Gwent players and streamers have the same opinion. Even less competitive streamers like KBT are struggling to like HC.

Then, nobody is denying the fact that Artifact has a lot of RNG. But it's also got a lot of decision making and depth. You know, the things Homecoming lacks. The game is too binary now. With almost no thinning (aside from the witchers and Roach in almost every deck) and low number of mulligans many games come down to whether your draw your key cards or not. That's it.

And I am not even talking about totally RNG decks like reveal.

You know, everybody is blaming certain companies for being totally disconnected from their fan bases after announcements of a certain action RPG for mobile and a cast of a certain show in a universe we all love. But how is CDPR different? They took a game where "Skill beats luck" and turned it into a simple RNG fest.

Last edited:
To all beta-gwent-defenders: please explain to me how playing before 23.10.2018 required more skill. If you call it skill that you put together a deck, which in the best case will be played through exactly one way, then this is only a memorize-thing for me.
If you prefer a pure skill-based game without rng, I have to tell you that you are better off with rts or chess than with a collecting card game.
Also, I think it's a big mistake for all of us to want to play in order to win. we should want to play in order to have fun and the game should reflect that as well. it should reward cool deck ideas, funny moves and of course the time we all invest. unfortunately, gwent puts a lot of focus on winning (rank + ladder + reward book + wtf) and we get upset about everyone who uses netdecks. Complete nonsense. There will always be decks that are more effective than others. And they will always be played more than others, because gwent is much more rewarding for the winners.
Just my 2 cents....

To all beta-gwent-defenders: please explain to me how playing before 23.10.2018 required more skill. If you call it skill that you put together a deck, which in the best case will be played through exactly one way, then this is only a memorize-thing for me.
If you prefer a pure skill-based game without rng, I have to tell you that you are better off with rts or chess than with a collecting card game.
Also, I think it's a big mistake for all of us to want to play in order to win. we should want to play in order to have fun and the game should reflect that as well. it should reward cool deck ideas, funny moves and of course the time we all invest. unfortunately, gwent puts a lot of focus on winning (rank + ladder + reward book + wtf) and we get upset about everyone who uses netdecks. Complete nonsense. There will always be decks that are more effective than others. And they will always be played more than others, because gwent is much more rewarding for the winners.
Just my 2 cents....
Wtf.jpg

Just my 2 cents....
yes, now its better.. just close your eyes and click anywhere you want.. outcome is the same.. RNG Jesus took the wheel :)

Just my 2 cents....
Exactly we should want to play to have fun. The reality is homecoming is not fun, I had and continue to have Fun with beta gwent

For me, the worst of all is that I have a distinct feeling that this was CDPR last chance to Gwent's team to make it better.

Surely they were expecting the backlash. I mean they had to. After 2 years perfecting a product in Beta - a product perfectly capable of releasing after small fixes - with one of the most positive and dedicated communities in gaming constantly providing feedback and then throwing away pretty much all down the drain and starting from near square 1.

The same criticism about some key "features" of HC, such as the removal of 1 row (one of my main offenders), have been thoroughly discussed as soon as the rumors about it started 6 months ago. And also back then the community was very VERY skeptic, to say the least, as the pools made back then prove. But still they went through as they have with RNG and create mechanic back in mid-winter. Nothing was learned. Unfortunately i was expecting this as soon as Burza first talked about removing 1 row but NEVER in my wildest dreams believed they could flip things around in such a way that i couldnt even recognize this game. Even the goddamn naming? Homecoming? Was it meant to be irony? A joke? Gwent has never been as far as old gwent as now and thats why ppl are hating it!

Even from a financial pov, what were they even thinking? It really boggles my mind. Didnt they knew that such a COMPLETE OVERHAUL of a 2 year old beta game would require MONTHS or even YEARS of beta? The only explanation i have is that they went all in on HC launch to capitalize on TB. I see no other reason.

Another thing i cant get my head around are the timings. In the early days of development of TB, were they using the beta gwent system for battles? Or were they already trying out HC? Were they forced to change Gwent because of TB?

The launch of HC, the overwhelming community backlash and the apparent lack of response from CDPR, does not bode well in my pov. I'm not playing Gwent anymore, as i've never felt as hurt with a gaming company as I feel right now. I havent even, nor intend to, play TB as I feel that this was the cause of the demise of Gwent. I'm just here out of the emotional dependence I had from a game I've loved since started playing it back in November 2016, in which i've sunked hundreds of hours and contributed as i've never had before to any other game to improve it, even bringing to the game several friends and family, some of them that were not even gamers. This was the only TCG i've played in my 25+ years of gaming and I guess it will keep being in the future. It will also serve as a powerful vaccine against beta testing - which was also a first time for me.

I'm assuming they'll most likely launch a patch in December to fix major unbalances and then ditch the game as the player numbers (and income) keeps declining. I'm sad and disappointed.

edit: typos

Last edited:
The irony is that all the changes were made because of Thronebreaker and TB is fun to play. There's a lot of synergy to be found between cards and even with the limited set we have in TB there are several options to follow the same strategy. I also liked the trinket system as well as the trophy - but none of it made it into multiplayer.

They gave us two rows, 3 cards draw, leaders and handlimit but removed all the other fun stuff. Compared to TB the cards in MP are very weak, don't work well together and when they do, everyone is using them. Not much synergy, no variety, just points and RNG. Sure some things would've needed to be balanced but if playing HC would feel somewhat the same as TB I would totally be fine with it. But in it's current state HC feels more like drinking watered down wine in a nice restaurant with a fancy view. One can only hope for the next update to bring some substance into the game.

The irony is that all the changes were made because of Thronebreaker and TB is fun to play.

You cannot say for sure that Thronebreaker is the reason we got Homecoming. If anything, I get the feeling it's the other way around. Thronebreaker has been completely rebuild to fit with Homecoming. I still noticed a few battles in TB that had three rows in mind. Also, Thronebreaker is just like the original Witcher Gwent, completely unbalanced. Sure, it's fun playing overpowered decks that stomps the opponents into oblivion. But we can't really have this in Homecoming now, can we?

I hope you are enjoying your head being where it is. Meanwhile I'm still sad that a game I loved and played so much is no more, replaced by this atrocity of removal BS fiesta.

And what do you want me to tell you about Freddy? Maybe look at his mood when he speaks about Homecoming. The guy is sad for the state of the game as the VAST MAJORITY of people who are HATERS and COMPLAINERS that are saying that this BS game is broken as f**k, BORING and FRUSTRATING to play on top of that. Should every single streamer (from the few that are left) make a video about what is wrong with this and each and every one to consist of the same points?
Freedy is every streamer? Or are you bringing swim, who got the job at Valve?
You miss the point again. The game can be frustrating and boring to you. And other unhappy players now. That doesn't mean that it's objectively bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot say for sure that Thronebreaker is the reason we got Homecoming. If anything, I get the feeling it's the other way around.
Well it's implied - we had some TB-like play in beta Gwent in the form of challenges and CDPR could've just expanded this idea into TB. Instead they reinvented practically a new card game for which there was no reason if you just look at Gwent.
Also, Thronebreaker is just like the original Witcher Gwent, completely unbalanced. Sure, it's fun playing overpowered decks that stomps the opponents into oblivion. But we can't really have this in Homecoming now, can we?
Yes I wrote that it'd need to be balanced but there is a middleground between HC now and TB. Also don't forget that in TB we are playing against NPCs and they are easy to overpower. But play against another human with TB rules/cards and things could get quite interesting, not much nerfing would've been needed for that, certainly not two complete overhauls (from Beta to TB to HC).

Anyway, maybe you're right and TB has nothing to do with the changes in HC. It's just, I was playing HC for two weeks before I played TB and was kinda okayish with it. But after playing TB I saw that "new" Gwent with all the new rules and features could be quite fun if it would not be so simplified, and this brought me to a point where I actually no longer feel much excitement when playing HC. Quite ironic indeed.

To all beta-gwent-defenders: please explain to me how playing before 23.10.2018 required more skill.
Wrong date for the comparison most of the critics used. 21.12.2017 would be more accurate.
About chess: It is maybe one of the most remembering-skilled games out there. You can only win at higher grades if you know mostly all openings. Gwent has some similiar things like card counting, predictions based on known metadecks. Which is why i hate gwenttrackes so much. All people talking about skill, but most ones i see (especially streamers) using trackers. Thats so ironic i cant even believe it.
BUT. skill is a big word, and most people understand it a bit different than others. Some see skill in deckbuilding, others in timing, other in counting, bluffing, passing, combining all, whatever. So dont make the mistake and use your definition of skill for others.
Last thing is yes, gwent was to much focussing at climbing ladders oder tournement. That was even mentioned by the community before big tournaments started. CDRed wanted to etablish a esport-segment, which could be fine, AFTER beta with a solid game and community.

Personal skirmishes are heating up again. And none have anything to do with the topic. A reminder has already been left in this thread. This will be the last one.

You ARE allowed to have and share your opinions, provided they do not violate the Forum Rules.
You ARE NOT allowed to ridicule, attack or insult others, even and especially when their opinions differ from yours.

Well, I don`t want to use my opinion of "skill" to define it for the whole playerbase. I asked a genuine question: why do you think gwent beta needed a higher level of "skill" to play (successfully; higher winrate; whatever) than homecoming?
Only because we are used to some gameplay mechanics doesn`t mean that everything else is sh** .
So please answer with an open mind.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom