And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The money printer should be Gwent not Thronebreaker, because you only pay once for TB but double, trice ect for Gwent.

The majority of players will actually pay nothing at all to play gwent. On the other hand every player has to pay to play Thronebreaker. Thronebreaker targets a much bigger audience than gwent, just check the gogstats and compare Gwent and Thronebreaker. Additionally they sold 50k-100k copies on steam (https://steamspy.com/app/973760). Furthermore the plan was releasing more Witcher Tales if the Thronebreaker sales were good enough.
But in the end this all doesn't even matter. You just have to look at the results to see what has been their main foucus.

They read it. [...] Which path to take. One of el_Bosco or Karls??

Same as they've read the hundreds of questions in Ask a Dev left unanswered? Same as they've read all the concerns stemmed from a dedicated community (and experts, some of them actually payed by CDPR to provide support) for 2 years and that lead to this disgrace? Even if they did, why havent we had a conclusive and honest reply to all these concerns and the current state and plans for the game?

They'll do what they've always done in Gwent: follow their "plan" (if we can call it that) and dont really care about what we think.

You go with the demand And right now the demand isn't high for Homecoming, if stats are to be believed.

I still believe management will push for a mobile version and hope it gets them out of the hole. With Thronebreaker not performing to their expectations, they'll try and push hard for a wider audience.

P.S. More marketing would have helped with Thronebreaker. If I didn't visit this place I wouldn't even know it existed, as I didn't play Gwent much lately.

P.S. More marketing would have helped with Thronebreaker. If I didn't visit this place I wouldn't even know it existed, as I didn't play Gwent much lately.

I have to disagree. On release day Thronebreaker had more than 100k viewers on twitch (peak). Most of the streamers were sponsored (did they sponsor anyone to play gwent? I can't remember seeing sponsored Gwent streams, maybe some Korean guys. Another clear indicator that Thronebreaker was their main focus). Media coverage of Thronebreaker was a whole lot bigger than gwent's coverage. There was basically no Gwent marketing at all (at least in EU). They solely concentrated on Thronebreaker.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-tales-hasnt-done-as-well-as-cd-projekt-hoped

"Here's the admission by joint-CEO Adam Kiciński in a CDP financial call yesterday: "The game appealed to the community, which drove up our expectations regarding sales. Unfortunately, as yet, these expectations have not been fulfilled. Still, we remain optimistic ... We expect to continue to sell Thronebreaker for many years to come, even though the initial period may not have lived up to our initial expectations."

Just going by what I heard people who don't follow Gwent closely. Most didn't know TB existed. I only ever saw 1 article on Gamespot.

P.S. Forgot to add the CDPR statement on TB in last post, so there it is.

That doesnt prove that it wasnt their main focus. It just points that their objective failed.

And I too have the distinct feeling that TB that influenced and conditioned Gwent and not the other way around.

Same as they've read the hundreds of questions in Ask a Dev left unanswered? Same as they've read all the concerns stemmed from a dedicated community (and experts, some of them actually payed by CDPR to provide support) for 2 years and that lead to this disgrace? Even if they did, why havent we had a conclusive and honest reply to all these concerns and the current state and plans for the game?

They'll do what they've always done in Gwent: follow their "plan" (if we can call it that) and dont really care about what we think.
Your original Question was "how did they understand it". You're definitely playing your trump card of people reading bits and peaces not the whole thing. Smart. Also all these question you asked me. how is that relevant to my original argument? In debate you take one thought and try to answer that. Not everything ever. Also, blaming someone doesn't make you win an argument. Now getting back on track. to your original question how did they understand it. i answered they read it. It's just english. Nothing not to understand. Now why they did not answer is hard to answer without getting deleted. But I'll try. Let's imagine there's one certain x person (not you, not anyone, just an imaginery bloke) who's getting triggered when 2 rows are mentioned and goes on a rant on your forums. You as a developer have no intention to change 2 rows. Do you proceed to answer him again even if you have a publically published the answer to that question already? Let's say the imaginery x person is entitled spoiled brat, who has been spoon fed his/ her entire life? Do you as a developer risk to tell him to go and read your original statement? No, you don't. You know he will go on a rant anyway.

Now you asked me all these questions and none of mine has been answered in return. If you want a debate, it's your turn to put your answering hat on. Quote EVERYTHING not the convenient parts.

Last edited:
But why make a new concept at all? Gwent had a working base concept in beta, all that they would have needed to do was expand on that.
Thats the question. I dont think Thronebreaker isthe answer
There wont be a change back to the real Gwent nor substantial reimplementations of features we didnt wanted removed in the first place as that would have take another months of investment with little prospects of profit. Whats more likely from a commercial pov is that CDPR ditches this failed project with the lack of continue profit (TB selling less than expected and dwindling HC player base and income) and the proximity of CP2077.
So you assume, that CDRed would let Gwent die thantry to rescue it by going there, where most of the people here, want to see it?

Your original Question was "how did they understand it". You're definitely playing your trump card of people reading bits and peaces not the whole thing. Smart. Also all these question you asked me. how is that relevant to my original argument? In debate you take one thought and try to answer that. Not everything ever. Also, blaming someone doesn't make you win an argument. Now getting back on track. to your original question how did they understand it. i answered they read it. It's just english. Nothing not to understand. Now why they did not answer is hard to answer without getting deleted. But I'll try. Let's imagine there's one certain x person (not you, not anyone, just an imaginery bloke) who's getting triggered when 2 rows are mentioned and goes on a rant on your forums. You as a developer have no intention to change 2 rows. Do you proceed to answer him again even if you have a publically published the answer to that question already? Let's say the imaginery x person is entitled spoiled brat, who has been spoon fed his/ her entire life? Do you as a developer risk to tell him to go and read your original statement? No, you don't. You know he will go on a rant anyway.

Now you asked me all these questions and none of mine. If you want a debate, it's your turn to put your answering hat on. Quote EVERYTHING not the convenient parts.

You do not seem to understand the relationship between people who make a product and people who consume a product. Your "vision" is only good as long as you can afford it. If people don't want to play your game, your "vision" becomes irrelevant. What does a sensible game developer do in that case? Please the fans.

It's not just an "imaginary bloke" asking for the 3 rows back. It's a SIGNIFICANT SEGMENT OF THE PLAYERBASE. I double-dog-dare CDPR or anyone to make an in-game poll about that, and ask who - out of those who were here during beta, who I'm sure still make the majority of the playerbase despite CDPR's efforts to the contrary - would like to see 3 rows back.

Just as the decision to move to 2 rows was unpopular and generated copious amounts of backlash, so will bringing 3 rows back be popular and generate support.

But, of course, it's their game, their vision and their right to do whatever they want with it. Including playing it with their friends, the 5 remaining players in Gwent.

And before you jump on me and say I'm making unfounded assumptions - if the players numbers were ANYWHERE REMOTELY where CDPR wanted them to be, we would know about it. Those player numbers are not getting released, and no statement is coming as to the growth of the game. Because there is no growth. On the contrary.

Thats the question. I dont think Thronebreaker isthe answer

So you assume, that CDRed would let Gwent die thantry to rescue it by going there, where most of the people here, want to see it?

I don't think it's simply an assumption. It's more like a deduction. At some point, you run out of money to try things. If Thronebreaker had done better, maybe things would look better right now. I don't think the Gwent division of CDPR is in a position to hire another hundred people for another six months to redesign the game again. The money people are not gonna let them do it.

You're right. Couldn't agree more. Developers should indeed please the fanbase. What I don't like is the way fanbase is trying to achieve it. Forcing and demanding to obey makes me feel like being part of entitled and spoiled community. Even if the movement in this thread achieves it's goals, the way we did it is not something I can relate to.

Last edited:
We only have one way of doing it: stoped playing the game (most of us have) and voicing out discontent in the proper channels (official foruns).

I cant see whats exactly wrong with that.

Just as the decision to move to 2 rows was unpopular and generated copious amounts of backlash, so will bringing 3 rows back be popular and generate support.

Thats brilliant, now how about filling these rows with 3-5 copies of a single bronze unit, or a whole board of 2 copies of a unit and call it a day. Oh wait we already have it ? Arachas queen, you dont say?

I don't think it's simply an assumption. It's more like a deduction. At some point, you run out of money to try things. If Thronebreaker had done better, maybe things would look better right now. I don't think the Gwent division of CDPR is in a position to hire another hundred people for another six months to redesign the game again. The money people are not gonna let them do it.
I dont think tey need another 100 püeople, they already have it + they should have a base to build on, if they didnt delete the former version from every system they have.

I'm having a blast playing, so it feels a bit disturbing when someone not playing is forcing the game to change. I've also played beta, and it is a joke compared to homecoming or perhaps I wasnt aware of the subtle mechanics that determent your succes, reached rank 20 effortlessly anyway. However, playing meta around rank 7 in Homecoming you are more aware of what your opponent is playing, since it is the subtle differences - like card placement or avoiding your oponnets schiru, long vs short round (Eredin: Mourntart/Imlerith), when to consume your graveyard (yes I'm a woodland player) in case the oponnent is expected to have hanmarvyn's. how to play around blood thirst or whether to pass or push againt Eist player who just played his Jutta. Yrden placements, etc.
With the balance update no deck "feels" inferior to play against and all the subtle differences determine, based on your hand, the outcome of having a loosing streak or not.

I'm sorry for your loss guys, but they will never bring beta back, they are already working on new leaders+expansion, and subtle improvements like changing how mulligans work, and perhaps a new game mode (compatible with the reward trees, that are to be a challenge to unlock. They have a clear strategy on how to improve the game, and none of your suggestons are on the list. #Feelsbadman. Gl and move on.

You're right. Couldn't agree more. Developers should indeed please the fanbase. What I don't like is the way fanbase is trying to achieve it. Forcing and demanding to obey makes me feel like being part of entitled and spoiled community. Even if the movement in this thread achieves it's goals, the way we did it is not something I cannot relate to.

The only reason we are being forceful is because CDPR is acting like they're not hearing. That is the only place the anger is coming from.

I am in no mind to force anyone to do what they don't wish. If the devs had the decency to talk to us and say "ok, we heard you guys really want that third row back, and we know you are upset about it; however, this is what we want to do with Gwent, and these are the reasons we are not bringing it back. We are sorry, and we hope you will still stick around because we have this, this and that planned."

In that case, I would tip my hat to them with all respect, thank them for the great experiences we've had in the past, and be on my way with no additional protest.

But if we cannot have a conversation with them, if they're locked in their ivory tower and sending little one-phrase messages through Burza, if they completely refuse to acknowledge that we are upset over some things and they just keep pretending like everything is fine, I personally find that disrespectful.

Even the crappiest companies on this planet at least have some sort of response for upset customers. "Hey guys, we're sorry you've had a bad experience. We'd love to hear more from you and find out how we can improve. Here's x,y,z ways in which you can get in touch with us so we can talk. Thank you, and sorry again."

Bad reviews, bad comments in the Ask A Dev thread, these are the FIRST things a PR person is trained to respond to. You have to contain the damage. You can't just ignore upset people and hope they go away. Refusing to engage with upset fans is the NUMBER ONE way to sabotage your brand.

I am truly at a loss as to what is going on with this Gwent team. I truly cannot understand.

The only reason we are being forceful is because CDPR is acting like they're not hearing. That is the only place the anger is coming from.

I am in no mind to force anyone to do what they don't wish. If the devs had the decency to talk to us and say "ok, we heard you guys really want that third row back, and we know you are upset about it; however, this is what we want to do with Gwent, and these are the reasons we are not bringing it back. We are sorry, and we hope you will still stick around because we have this, this and that planned."

They have been pretty clear on what they currently are working on. But I dont know whether they should apologize, since they are doing their best to improve the game, and communicated that they will have more frequent balance updates, which the community previously has demanded.

I'm having a blast playing, so it feels a bit disturbing when someone not playing is forcing the game to change. I've also played beta, and it is a joke compared to homecoming or perhaps I wasnt aware of the subtle mechanics that determent your succes, reached rank 20 effortlessly anyway. However, playing meta around rank 7 in Homecoming you are more aware of what your opponent is playing, since it is the subtle differences - like card placement or avoiding your oponnets schiru, long vs short round (Eredin: Mourntart/Imlerith), when to consume your graveyard (yes I'm a woodland player) in case the oponnent is expected to have hanmarvyn's. how to play around blood thirst or whether to pass or push againt Eist player who just played his Jutta. Yrden placements, etc.
With the balance update no deck "feels" inferior to play against and all the subtle differences determine, based on your hand, the outcome of having a loosing streak or not.

I'm sorry for your loss guys, but they will never bring beta back, they are already working on new leaders+expansion, and subtle improvements like changing how mulligans work, and perhaps a new game mode (compatible with the reward trees, that are to be a challenge to unlock. They have a clear strategy on how to improve the game, and none of your suggestons are on the list. #Feelsbadman. Gl and move on.
Amazing, every word you just said was wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom