And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got tired of waiting, I guess. I don't see light in the end of this tunnel. Every time I see the way the game looks and plays now I die inside (The Great Dendelion Show, for a sad example).

Same here. My biggest issue with Homecoming at the moment is that everyone is playing mono red. It wasn't like that during the Gwent beta!

I'm still checking the forum cause I've been here HELPING for two years. To what or who's avail? Not for the 80% of the veteran player base that was chased away, as any person that can count to ten can tell by all sorts of numbers.

Yeah, and that's well-known by the 57,8% of the players.

I really don't get how you can even complain about this. There is literally nothing to fix here. Card games have draw RNG and there is no changing that. Ask for more mulligans if you want but complaining about the cards you draw is silly. I can't believe you actually asked Burza about this and he rightfully acted baffled by the question because it's such a ridiculous complaint.

Chess. Both players start with the same pieces, it's the play that works out the winner. You don't start a game of chess with half the pieces, then be asked to play the game with 8 pawns when your opponent has queen, rook, bishop, etc.

Poker. It's a pure luck game.....until you introduce the betting element, then it's something else entirely. Does Gwent have a second system? Nope - therefore it's a game of pure luck.

Gwent. First, it's not a &%*%ing card game! This thing right here, it's a video game. It's played on PC's and consoles. There are algorithms, programs, there are set mechanics in play meaning nothing is truly random as it's a video game. There are programmable ways in which runs can be brought to an abrupt halt by the initial deal being weak. No cards here.

Second, why be so myopic? Just because that's how video games like this have been in the past doesn't make it the right way - times change. Why not open horizons and say - yeah, you know what? If the deal was randomised, but identical for each player, we instantly destroy the frequent complaint of "I lost because my deal was bad". Disappears, poof, in an instant. Suddenly you're into plays, synergy, etc. You know, as much as I know, that the initial deal and subsequent mulligans will define your game because you build a deck around several synergies with two, maybe three, finishers.

Gwent is too basic. Your chance of winning is almost entirely defined by the deal you get. That's why so many decks have the same procession of cards. Oh, look, it's a NG deck. I wonder what will be played first....MAGNE DIVISION?!?! Well stone the crows, who saw that coming.....

Why bother playing a game that is like that? I wouldn't play chess on that basis, or poker, or monopoly, or risk. If the outcome was defined before you moved a piece, nobody would buy it, they wouldn't exist today. The frustration is losing games but looking back and thinking "if only I'd gotten card x" - losing and saying "damn, played that badly" is far too infrequent.

End of the day, I made a suggestion and now I've had a response, I'll drop it. But there's no need to call out anyone's opinion for being "ridiculous" and act with utter incredulity that I'd ask the developers about it. I'm only trying to help.

Chess. Both players start with the same pieces, it's the play that works out the winner. You don't start a game of chess with half the pieces, then be asked to play the game with 8 pawns when your opponent has queen, rook, bishop, etc.

Poker. It's a pure luck game.....until you introduce the betting element, then it's something else entirely. Does Gwent have a second system? Nope - therefore it's a game of pure luck.

Gwent. First, it's not a &%*%ing card game! This thing right here, it's a video game. It's played on PC's and consoles. There are algorithms, programs, there are set mechanics in play meaning nothing is truly random as it's a video game. There are programmable ways in which runs can be brought to an abrupt halt by the initial deal being weak. No cards here.

Second, why be so myopic? Just because that's how video games like this have been in the past doesn't make it the right way - times change. Why not open horizons and say - yeah, you know what? If the deal was randomised, but identical for each player, we instantly destroy the frequent complaint of "I lost because my deal was bad". Disappears, poof, in an instant. Suddenly you're into plays, synergy, etc. You know, as much as I know, that the initial deal and subsequent mulligans will define your game because you build a deck around several synergies with two, maybe three, finishers.

Gwent is too basic. Your chance of winning is almost entirely defined by the deal you get. That's why so many decks have the same procession of cards. Oh, look, it's a NG deck. I wonder what will be played first....MAGNE DIVISION?!?! Well stone the crows, who saw that coming.....

Why bother playing a game that is like that? I wouldn't play chess on that basis, or poker, or monopoly, or risk. If the outcome was defined before you moved a piece, nobody would buy it, they wouldn't exist today. The frustration is losing games but looking back and thinking "if only I'd gotten card x" - losing and saying "damn, played that badly" is far too infrequent.

End of the day, I made a suggestion and now I've had a response, I'll drop it. But there's no need to call out anyone's opinion for being "ridiculous" and act with utter incredulity that I'd ask the developers about it. I'm only trying to help.

Gwent is a collectible card game. So I think I was accurate in calling it a card game. I'm not disagreeing with you in asking for the game to be based more on skill. My previous post was confused as to someone asking for better draws. Draw RNG is a part of CCG's. That's how they are meant to be played.

I prefer this game be randomized so that players aren't constantly asking for changes to the draw (better or worse). The deals being randomized also helps keep certain decks from being OP. Players are going to find broken decks that you can't beat if they consistently get the right deal.

I don't agree with your argument that everything is defined by deal/luck. I'm sure everyone reading this right now can immediately think of MANY games where small decisions by each player decides who wins and who loses. Making fewer mistakes than your opponent makes a very big difference.

I thought it was a strange question to ask a developer but I guess I shouldn't have sounded so harsh so apologies.

Last edited:
"Not a card game because it's played on PC and consoles" outstanding statement :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We'll just have to disagree, which is ok to do without taking the piss. By definition gwent is a video game. It's built on programming with an interface that resembles a card game, but primarily it's electronically manufactured. In my opinion, an ACTUAL card game is printed. Y'know, on cards.

Gwent is more akin to Pokemon than any card game I know.
Post automatically merged:

Gwent is a collectible card game. So I think I was accurate in calling it a card game. I'm not disagreeing with you in asking for the game to be based more on skill. My previous post was confused as to someone asking for better draws. Draw RNG is a part of CCG's. That's how they are meant to be played.

I prefer this game be randomized so that players aren't constantly asking for changes to the draw (better or worse). The deals being randomized also helps keep certain decks from being OP. Players are going to find broken decks that you can't beat if they consistently get the right deal.

I don't agree with your argument that everything is defined by deal/luck. I'm sure everyone reading this right now can immediately think of MANY games where small decisions by each player decides who wins and who loses. Making fewer mistakes than your opponent makes a very big difference.

I thought it was a strange question to ask a developer but I guess I shouldn't have sounded so harsh so apologies.

I just popped back on Gwent to mess around with some Monsters, won one, lost one (about right for me!). But the game I lost? A Skellige deck, where the opponent had every card in the order they wanted it. Morkvarg? Check. Card to discard it? Check. Two spears? Check. R2, have I successfully kept just one witcher trio? Check. Does the opponent have any removal? Nope. Does the opponent have synergy? Nope. I just don't get it, where's the fun supposed to be?

All I'm trying to suggest is surely if my opponent has 6/7 golds in his hand for R2, through pure e-luck (RNG, right?), what am I supposed to do with my fistful of bronzes? Nekker? Mulligan. Another Nekker? Mulligan. Archespore? Awesome. There's no scenario where I can win there, and this is my problem with Gwent - there are things well outside of your control that dictate win/loss. Real games, like Poker, are NEVER defined by this as you ALWAYS have a chance.

I guess you're experienced in card games and there's a solid chance they're ALL like this, and so be it; that doesn't mean this particular game can't strive to be better, fairer and built on more skill.

Last edited:
I just popped back on Gwent to mess around with some Monsters, won one, lost one (about right for me!). But the game I lost? A Skellige deck, where the opponent had every card in the order they wanted it. Morkvarg? Check. Card to discard it? Check. Two spears? Check. R2, have I successfully kept just one witcher trio? Check. Does the opponent have any removal? Nope. Does the opponent have synergy? Nope. I just don't get it, where's the fun supposed to be?

All I'm trying to suggest is surely if my opponent has 6/7 golds in his hand for R2, through pure e-luck (RNG, right?), what am I supposed to do with my fistful of bronzes? Nekker? Mulligan. Another Nekker? Mulligan. Archespore? Awesome. There's no scenario where I can win there, and this is my problem with Gwent - there are things well outside of your control that dictate win/loss. Real games, like Poker, are NEVER defined by this as you ALWAYS have a chance.

I guess you're experienced in card games and there's a solid chance they're ALL like this, and so be it; that doesn't mean this particular game can't strive to be better, fairer and built on more skill.

If you had no chance to win that game then I suggest playing a different deck with better thinning or a different strategy. If you can effectively win round 1 then you wouldn't get stuck in round 2.

Yes you can lose to a bad draw but again that is how the game is meant to be played. Occasionally you get a bad deal and you are at a big disadvantage. That's ok because everyone plays with that chance. The most skilled gwent players still lose quite often. It's simply not possible to remove RNG from CCG's. Your example of Poker isn't a good one because you certainly can lose in Poker just by bad luck. I feel much more confident in my skill with Gwent than I do in Poker.

There are plenty more ways for Gwent to improve skill without messing with the draw. Look at NG reveal for example. Lots of unnecessary RNG there. Take create cards out of the game.

well I think all things I had to say to Gwent: HC have been said, by now there a lot of games coming so Gwent will be in the category of games I might play one a week to everyone in the community (news and veterans ) look abroad, Gwent is not the only game in existence also good luck to the dev team and stick to their vision because no game I have memory has been so bold to do a full 180 in a game that was 2 years in beta well after all see you guys

We'll just have to disagree, which is ok to do without taking the piss. By definition gwent is a video game. It's built on programming with an interface that resembles a card game, but primarily it's electronically manufactured. In my opinion, an ACTUAL card game is printed. Y'know, on cards.

So an eBook is not a book because is not printed?

The main issue with Gwent is whenever a good deck is created and it starts winning, cdprojektred nerfs it.

Poker is a game. Chess is a game.

Let it sink in.

Couldn't agree more, the consistency Gwent had showed very well who was the better player. The feeling of brewing your own deck and mastering it until it ran like a finely tuned machine was great.

Instead of trying to create a perfectly balanced game (which in the end sounds boring honestly) they should have introduced new content. There are problematic cards? Let's try to shake things up and refresh the meta with an expansion. Instead we got stuck without content because they tried to create something that shouldn't be in the first place.

And it's fine if decks are consistent, using the same example you put there, chess is even more consistent and that doesn't make it less interesting, skill will determine who wins and if you are good you'll go up without a doubt. That made Gwent truly stand out for me.
Post automatically merged:

well I think all things I had to say to Gwent: HC have been said, by now there a lot of games coming so Gwent will be in the category of games I might play one a week to everyone in the community (news and veterans ) look abroad, Gwent is not the only game in existence also good luck to the dev team and stick to their vision because no game I have memory has been so bold to do a full 180 in a game that was 2 years in beta well after all see you guys

Care to share these games? I tried MTGA but it is a cash grab. I got out of Hearthstone for the same reason.

And I don't mind dropping a bit of money every now and then, I did it with Gwent because I felt like I'm getting value and fun out of it (even if now is void). But the value you get for your money on most card games is... Horrible.

Last edited:
I totally agree. After leaving the beta I expected to increase the complexity of the game and instead the game was cut off. Currently, when playing, I have the impression that I have much less influence on the game, the result is much more random. The game is very schematic. And creating your own deck is much more limited by what is also boring. I played over 1,300 hours

Ps. and also pisses me that I can not see my own cards

Care to share these games? I tried MTGA but it is a cash grab. I got out of Hearthstone for the same reason.
:LOL: I wasn't referring specifically to card games when I said "Gwent is not the only game in existence" I was talking to another type of games genres that are coming when it comes to card games Gwent beta was the first that hooked me but after HC that has changed

Care to share these games?...

There aren't many card games that feel as unique as Beta Gwent sadly (I've been searching extensively). However, I can recommend 2 good ones:

• KARDS - a WWII card game that even shares some similarities with Gwent (like rows, positioning importance, faction identity, etc). Highly recommend it.
• Mythgard - It is really good, it feels different than other card games.

Those two are slowly satisfying my card game addiction (which was brought on by Gwent). I say give them a try, they are really good. If you have any other's in mind please share. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom