And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you guys get these numbers from, I am really curious

Although CDPR doesn't release official player count numbers it's pretty clear that Homecoming caused a huge decline in playerbase from the information we do have available.

Twitch numbers are less than half what they were in Open Beta:

twitch stats.png

Popularity on GOG has been decreasing for months: (The site will only show February but every month since Homecoming has looked similar to this)

gog pop stats.png

There are also way fewer people on the normal ranked ladder overall. I remember there being 150,000+ total people on leaderboards at season ends during Open Beta. Now there is less than half that.

I love when people spit out random percentages out of nothing.

I know that there are a lot of new players out there that don't want to hear that Beta Gwent was more popular. I totally understand liking the new game and don't want to hear anything about Gwent declining. But just looking at the facts and the amount of people upset with the new game, you would have to be pretty oblivious to say that Gwent hasn't lost a huge chunk of its playerbase.

Pardon me for calling you a liar.

Maybe in particular part in CB there was such time (like in the early days), but for two years I've NEVER experienced more than couple of seconds, maybe three, between matches. Or maybe you are speaking consoles. Than I'm sure the problem is elsewhere. That's it for that.

Than I go to check how many viewers does Trynet have nowadays... hmm, he went from the constant 5/600 he had in the "abysmal" last 6 months of CB, to 200 something lately, with around 1000 regularly watching the game on Twitch in a rush hour.

Blossoming, this game is.

Perhaps you actually took the time to measure exactly ho many seconds it took you to wait between matches. I play PC and played beta until the midwinter update and it was certainly not 2-3 seconds. And quite frankly i don't care if the avg. waiting time went up from 5 to 10 seconds, as it doesn't really matter. Also the addition of the arena (back when i played there was no arena mode) drew some players from the ranked and the casual pool.

Have you given a thought to a simple fact that many players (like myself in the past) simply had a burnout with the game after playing for 300-500 hours and while they may or may not come back it would have happen anyway without being connected to current state of gwent. I can personally say that i have time for one game at a time and currently i'm back to gwent, however when another game catches my interest (probably will be bannerlords if it will be ever released) i will take another brake or quit entirely whatever the state of gwent will be at that time.

Perhaps you actually took the time to measure exactly ho many seconds it took you to wait between matches...
Nope, I never did this. But usually until I clicked the button and an oppo was found, the time it took was something in the likes of I reached for the bottle of water, maybe take a sip or two and the loading screen for the next game had started. How much does that takes?

There is another player base for the game aside from the pre-HC crowd. From the looks of it, the Beta players who do not like HC and want old Gwent back are a lost cause, so there is no reason trying to appeal to them .

Sure, Gwent is doing great.

And, of course, there's no reason appealing to your most loyal crowd. It's like the first rule of marketing, right?

And it seems that since then it went down another 100-150 positions. There was a reddit post that brought a ton of positive reviews in the middle and went up for a week but even with that it's still going down.
Yeah, you can actually see the bump and than the even deeper fall.

It's bad...

The bottom line is there's two games here. Gwent and Thronebreaker Online. If there'd been no Gwent, launching TB Online would have been relatively well received. The problem was making TB Online the replacement for Gwent, when it's not the same game and pulls on an audience who were invested heavily in something else. It's like replacing FIFA Season with NBA Live and expecting the audience to stay the same!!!

CDPR will know the revenues from either side and will make a call accordingly - does it make commercial sense to remove the link between TB and Gwent, to bring the old version back? Or persevere with TB Online until all the Gwent nostalgia is gone? Really, it's not even a question - they will persevere with the latter, because TB can expand again and again, with an online version that - eventually - will grow again.

So perhaps we all need to almost stop referring back to Gwent and look at the existing game objectively without nostalgia/emotion.

What's "homecoming"?

Homecoming is the new game "Gwent" that people are playing right now.

Gwent was in Beta for about 1.5 years. CDPR wasn't happy with the figures though and decided to stop updating Gwent and start working on a new Game to overwrite it, which is Homecoming. They basically built a whole new game in 6 months that looks more like Thronebreaker than it does Beta Gwent or even W3 Gwent. They gave all the cards different abilities and changed all the major mechanics and launched the new game on October 23rd. This "new Gwent" is actually pretty good for being slapped together in six months, but they simplified the game a lot. Much of the strategy was lost from the Gwent we played for 1.5 years, so a lot of the hardcore players have left. There's new players too of course, but it will be a long time before Gwent fully recovers.

Homecoming is the new game ... but they simplified the game a lot....

It was really a shame see a GREAT GAME like Beta Gwent be torn apart because "it was too dificult for some people"

kids these days are so lazy... they cant even do maths... they need "normal numbers" and "easy calculations"

and CDPR just decided we need a product with more people and less quality/strategy

thanks

It was really a shame see a GREAT GAME like Beta Gwent be torn apart because "it was too dificult for some people"

kids these days are so lazy... they cant even do maths... they need "normal numbers" and "easy calculations"

and CDPR just decided we need a product with more people and less quality/strategy

thanks

Except what they got was considerably LESS people!

They actually removed any mention of Homecoming from the game pages on GOG, forums, etc. a few months ago. And the game is officially called Gwent: Witcher Card Game now.
They can do and call it whatever they want. We that have been here know better.

^ Same here.

Miss my Morvran Mill decks and my critically acclaimed Ereding shenanigan with Borkh and Miruna as a finisher...

It was even fun to play against the AI with some decks that got obliterated in the meta, like NG Knights with Slavedrivers and Yrden as a whooping finishers. NG had SO MANY fun tools to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom