And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please move on! I don´t want to offend anyone but I can´t believe that this thread goes on and on. I played, loved and deleted a lot of games in my life without ever telling anyone about it. Beta Gwent is history and won´t come back so I hope you can finally find closure.

I played, loved and deleted a lot of games in my life without ever telling anyone about it. Beta Gwent is history and won´t come back so I hope you can finally find closure.
I don't think it's about finding closure but more about finding inner peace. It's not like we just didn't wanted to play Gwent anymore. It was taken from us. That is the significant difference. AND on top the developers are withholding the OB version. They COULD let us play it, but they just won't.

I don't think it's about finding closure but more about finding inner peace. It's not like we just didn't wanted to play Gwent anymore. It was taken from us. That is the significant difference. AND on top the developers are withholding the OB version. They COULD let us play it, but they just won't.

Why would they? They decided to change the game as they did and they don't want to keep the old version running because they won't be adding any content or putting any work into maintnance of an obsolete version of the game. Even though there are players that enjoyed beta i still doubt that many would return to a completely stale game with no new content nor maintnance just because they enjoyed it more than the current version.

Why would they? They decided to change the game as they did and they don't want to keep the old version running because they won't be adding any content or putting any work into maintnance of an obsolete version of the game. Even though there are players that enjoyed beta i still doubt that many would return to a completely stale game with no new content nor maintnance just because they enjoyed it more than the current version.
They don't need to keep it running. Make it an offline version against AI or friends. That's all they need to do. I'd even pay a few Euro for that.

Gwent HO is better in almost every way than Beta, change my mind... I am sorry to say it but read a lot of pages from this thread and all I see is nostalgia speaking through people who have invested time and effort into a game. Though you get your resources back you are not ready to accept that this is what CDPR are going for and for a good reason.

Beta has been super hard to get into and when you do, there are no interactions what so ever, there are game strategies that are pre-decided and little to no adaptation were required, and before you jump on your horses and attack me for my opinion. I've played the game from Beta, no large amount of hours, but enough to tell that the game now feels much more noob friendly, more decision making per turn, better style and much more fluid in terms of gameplay and while it is now in decline by the previous players a lot of new blood is coming and will come with the introduction of mobile and consistent tournament events, CDPR are still testing the waters with the balancing and how much power each provision card should have and what effects are highly valued but to go as far as saying that the game is dead, because it the old Gwent was taken from us, Beta Gwent is better REEEE, etc. [...]

Gwent is what it is right now and the devs are giving their all to keep the game fresh, balanced and fun to play if you haven't seen already the art style is only improving the SY expansion made the game one layer deeper and with the upcoming changes to bronzes in all factions we can look forward to a very good game! Just don't expect LARGE number of players to come into Gwent, because they won't! But with the introduction of mobile and with the upcoming tournaments and the loving community we have, we can look forward to a long-term relationship with this game and that's enough. You are not going blind into an Artifact fiasco but you can safely say that this game will stay! Because sometimes huge numbers don't come, the attention you expected is not what you are getting, but if you have given your all people will appreciate it! And that's just the Gwent state right now.

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
Please remember to be civil towards others, especially those you disagree with. One post edited.

This thread is about the game getting uninstalled, so you're not likely to find people praising the game. Negative opinions are no less acceptable than positive ones, though. Both just need to be polite and respectful.

Gwent HO is better in almost every way than Beta, change my mind... I am sorry to say it but read a lot of pages from this thread and all I see is nostalgia speaking through people who have invested time and effort into a game. Though you get your resources back you are not ready to accept that this is what CDPR are going for and for a good reason.

Beta has been super hard to get into and when you do, there are no interactions what so ever, there are game strategies that are pre-decided and little to no adaptation were required, and before you jump on your horses and attack me for my opinion. I've played the game from Beta, no large amount of hours, but enough to tell that the game now feels much more noob friendly, more decision making per turn, better style and much more fluid in terms of gameplay and while it is now in decline by the previous players a lot of new blood is coming and will come with the introduction of mobile and consistent tournament events, CDPR are still testing the waters with the balancing and how much power each provision card should have and what effects are highly valued but to go as far as saying that the game is dead, because it the old Gwent was taken from us, Beta Gwent is better REEEE, etc. Chill out, nobody owes you anything, your decisions, consequences are yours too, if you feel robbed, betrayed, sad, angry, that's because you have emotionally invested energy into a GOD DAMN GAME! Don't act surprised everything comes and goes even people do [...]

Gwent is what it is right now and the devs are giving their all to keep the game fresh, balanced and fun to play if you haven't seen already the art style is only improving the SY expansion made the game one layer deeper and with the upcoming changes to bronzes in all factions we can look forward to a very good game! Just don't expect LARGE number of players to come into Gwent, because they won't! But with the introduction of mobile and with the upcoming tournaments and the loving community we have, we can look forward to a long-term relationship with this game and that's enough. You are not going blind into an Artifact fiasco but you can safely say that this game will stay! Because sometimes huge numbers don't come, the attention you expected is not what you are getting, but if you have given your all people will appreciate it! And that's just the Gwent state right now.

Edited. -Drac

[ . . . ] Of course gamers get invested into the games that they spend hundreds/thousands of hours playing. There is nothing strange or surprising about that. It's also understandable that these players are going to have strong feelings about their game being completely changed. A game that they might have spent a lot of money on.
Post automatically merged:

Gwent is what it is right now and the devs are giving their all to keep the game fresh, balanced and fun to play if you haven't seen already the art style is only improving the SY expansion made the game one layer deeper and with the upcoming changes to bronzes in all factions we can look forward to a very good game!

I have not seen the balancing that you are talking about. Homecoming has been very very lacking in balancing. Cards that serve no purpose and never see play just sit there waiting on a change that doesn't come. Archetypes that need a lot of help are sitting and waiting for cards that don't appear even though hundreds of cards are put into the game. Syndicate is added and even after it was tested it was still very unbalanced to the point that the devs have to promise to buff the other factions to make up for it. A balanced game is a game where the vast majority of the cards are equally playable. i don't see that in this game. Weather cards are virtually untouched. Cards that were OP are nerfed into oblivion and never seen again (sihil). The devs made the very strange imo choice to put artifacts in the game which are just another form of untouchable points that thorugh the history of the game are far too difficult to balance. It's bad for the game to have cards that you need specific removal cards to do anything about. It's only a matter of time before they do a big nerf on summoning circle which is extremely strong if it's not removed. I really wanted some good balancing changed the last patch but instead they added a whole new faction which is going to need many balancing changes of it's own. Now I'm just waiting to see exactly how much they are able to accomplish with the bronze balacing they say is coming up. Hopefully it's very substantial.

Last edited:
@Kaczor79 To be fair CDPR do try to balance in each patch. That they don't balance certain aspects of the game at the speed we would like is probably down to resource issues (i.e. lack of manpower/time) and a need to expand the card pool rather than to a willful ignoring of the situation. I can't help but agree on many of your other points though. SY feels unbalanced. I can't remember the last time I saw a weather deck (thank God...I remember weather in beta). I absolutely agree about binary cards in the strongest terms possible - those cards that need a specific counter or you've lost the game already - I wish such cards never existed (I refer you back to beta weather and the need for clear weathers...).
I'm with you, I hope there is a significant review of bronze cards and those that never see play (Fringilla Vigo, etc). The introduction of dual faction cards in SY is a good step forward IMO but it needs CDPR to look at cards and design them to synergistically fit in with the factions - the Courier card is a case in point, it fits perfectly with Viper Witchers, Canterella and Jaochim de Wett and is a fantasic synergistic addition to the Nilfgaard faction. It won't be easy but I hope they can move towards this and in so doing finally help tie down all the faction identities.

Here are some fresh thoughts of massive proportions. A German game magazine speculates that CDPR could put a ccg into Cyberpunk, similar to Gwint in The Witcher. They also name a specific one: Netrunner. That's (I didn't know that) a ccg published back in 1996, created by Richard Garfield (the guy behind Magic: The Gathering), based on Cyberpunk 2020, and lauded by critics. Here a critic quote "among the connoisseurs of the card game design art, Netrunner is considered to be one of the best-designed games ever. " And here's a link to a review conclusion: http://www.oocities.org/theshortcircuit/basics/inquest.html

Now imagine they would really do that. A CCG that's already perfectly balanced. A game for two opponents. A game created by someone who knows his bits. ... ... And then replacing Gwent with Netrunner.

Would you go with it? Would you accept giving up a game you spent 1000s of hours on, to get a balanced, thrilling CCG in return? Would you give up the Witcher cosmos? Embrace the Cyberpunk cosmos?

It's just a game of make-believe, of course. So, don't hold back.

I find it hard to agree with nostalgic players praising the beta version above and beyond. Most of the issues homecoming has were also present in the beta version, there were more than enough dead cards, the game was much more stale with meta staying the same for months, the forums were full with complaints about OP decks, factions and archetypes. Personally i enjoyed playing both beta and homecoming (and still enjoy playing to this day).
People tend to remember the positive things and to forget the problems there were with the game. It's understanable and fine, its also natural that many players prefer the beta version over homeoming, but picturing beta as a game nearing perfection that was ruined completely by homecoming simply isn't true.

I find it hard to agree with nostalgic players praising the beta version above and beyond. Most of the issues homecoming has were also present in the beta version, there were more than enough dead cards, the game was much more stale with meta staying the same for months, the forums were full with complaints about OP decks, factions and archetypes. Personally i enjoyed playing both beta and homecoming (and still enjoy playing to this day).
People tend to remember the positive things and to forget the problems there were with the game. It's understanable and fine, its also natural that many players prefer the beta version over homeoming, but picturing beta as a game nearing perfection that was ruined completely by homecoming simply isn't true.

The beta was not great, it is true. It was in such a state, because every few months responsible for the game had a different concept, or did nothing with the game for half a year. Yes, the creators of the game were guilty that the game was in that condition. Most likely, if Jason Slama then would take care of it, we would be in a better Gwent world.
Gwent of the beta times had in some seasons over 300k players, when hc max is 50k, which is just crappy for a 3-year old game. The number of players makes every game great, nothing else. Games with 50k players sooner or later dies. There were two big addition to hc which have not improved anything and even makes playability worse. Gwent did not get such possibilities to show how the game was great in its basic assumptions. This is not nostalgie, these are the facts.

Last edited:
Gwent of the beta times had in some seasons over 300k players, when hc max is 50k, which is just crappy for a 3-year old game. The number of players makes every game great, nothing else.
Lots of players left during the beta simply because the burnt out with the game. I myself took a year long break just before mid winter patch. I think that adding a mobile release along with HC or during beta would have boosted or at least helped to maintain the number of players, adding new players to the game instead of those leaving. I'm afraid that the upcoming mobile release will not have such an effect so much time after the release on the other platforms.

Guest 4305932

when hc max is 50k,

Ended last season with just 1 ranked games and i was around 70k.

Even now in midseason at 25 I am 52772. And you have to count people who don't play ranked, people who are between 30 and 25 etc etc

The beta was not great, it is true. It was in such a state, because every few months responsible for the game had a different concept, or did nothing with the game for half a year.

Every few months? Rethaz has been in charge until MW and , until HC, game was updated regularly. so no, these are no the the reasons why beta was not great.

The number of players makes every game great, nothing else.

No, not really. There are tons of great games with relatively low player numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ . . . ] Of course gamers get invested into the games that they spend hundreds/thousands of hours playing. There is nothing strange or surprising about that. It's also understandable that these players are going to have strong feelings about their game being completely changed. A game that they might have spent a lot of money on.
Have they got robbed? No, every single penny was given back in the form of in-game currency and to go as far as saying the game is completely different is a bit of a stretch, yes the value of cards, the thinning, leader effects are changed, but Gwent is still the game it was before with the changes of how much numbers a card provides! There are still unique effects, cool strategies and big brain decks, they are just not with the EXACT same feel as the ones in beta Gwent.
Post automatically merged:

The beta was not great, it is true. It was in such a state, because every few months responsible for the game had a different concept, or did nothing with the game for half a year. Yes, the creators of the game were guilty that the game was in that condition. Most likely, if Jason Slama then would take care of it, we would be in a better Gwent world.
Gwent of the beta times had in some seasons over 300k players, when hc max is 50k, which is just crappy for a 3-year old game. The number of players makes every game great, nothing else. Games with 50k players sooner or later dies. There were two big addition to hc which have not improved anything and even makes playability worse. Gwent did not get such possibilities to show how the game was great in its basic assumptions. This is not nostalgie, these are the facts.
Wow, yea Beta had 300k viewers because there was no MTGArena, HS was in the shittiest that was ever been and people were searching for a game to grab their attention, don't tell me HC ruined the game because you are lying to others and yourself. Noxious and Lifecoach were some of the reason for the popularity, and because they left, a lot of people followed that example, because they were fans of the streamers not the game. Happened to a lot of games, I can name a lot but no reason for it. I am not going to repeat my post, your points lose value in my eyes the more I read it. You can have your own agendas, don't mistake them with facts though.

Last edited:
Have they got robbed? No, every single penny was given back in the form of in-game currency and to go as far as saying the game is completely different is a bit of a stretch, yes the value of cards, the thinning, leader effects are changed, but Gwent is still the game it was before with the changes of how much numbers a card provides! There are still unique effects, cool strategies and big brain decks, they are just not with the EXACT same feel as the ones in beta Gwent.

No stretch. The game old Gwent was scrapped and they started from scratch. All of the playtesting we had done was for nothing. 3 rows changed to 2 rows. 3 bronzes per deck changed to two. Provision system added. Leaders standing on the board. Nearly all card abilities changed. Hand limit changed. Archetypes altered or scrapped. The game is similar to old Gwent but also extremely different. It's expected that players who invested heavily into the game would have a strong reaction to see it completely thrown out for something else.

Guest 4305932

No stretch. The game old Gwent was scrapped and they started from scratch. All of the playtesting we had done was for nothing. 3 rows changed to 2 rows. 3 bronzes per deck changed to two. Provision system added. Leaders standing on the board. Nearly all card abilities changed. Hand limit changed. Archetypes altered or scrapped. The game is similar to old Gwent but also extremely different. It's expected that players who invested heavily into the game would have a strong reaction to see it completely thrown out for something else.

How can you say that playtesting was for nothing when it showed exactly why things like provision system, hand limit, less tutor etc were needed?

All of the playtesting we had done was for nothing.

That´s just not correct. The testing lead to decisions and the result was that the developers didn´t like it or didn´t see much more potential. So they did this:

3 rows changed to 2 rows. 3 bronzes per deck changed to two. Provision system added. Leaders standing on the board. Nearly all card abilities changed. Hand limit changed. Archetypes altered or scrapped. The game is similar to old Gwent but also extremely different.

Raunbjorn

Now you're just making up stuff. Nobody said beta was perfect nor perfectly balanced. Playing the "nostalgia" card is also a bit cheap. I mean, sure, our brain is made to remember only the positive things in life since that's all we need but that doesn't mean you didn't enjoy something more back then than you do now.
Personally, I enjoyed the beta gameplay a lot more than HC. To me that's what made the game instead of this MTGish stuff we have now. On top of that, I miss the archetypes as well as "fun" decks and shenanigans that you just can't do anymore.

I'm not saying HC Gwent is a bad game, I'm just not having any fun playing it atm.

Now you're just making up stuff. Nobody said beta was perfect nor perfectly balanced. Playing the "nostalgia" card is also a bit cheap. I mean, sure, our brain is made to remember only the positive things in life since that's all we need but that doesn't mean you didn't enjoy something more back then than you do now.
Personally, I enjoyed the beta gameplay a lot more than HC. To me that's what made the game instead of this MTGish stuff we have now. On top of that, I miss the archetypes as well as "fun" decks and shenanigans that you just can't do anymore.

This entire topic is dedicated to the "poor state of Gwent today" and "why i uninstalled it". Large portions of the posts that i read compare the current gwent to beta, how HC ruined the game for them and how boring and unbalanced it is even after the expansions. Nothing wrong with that but comparing something current to a thing of the past that you enjoyed but that will never come back is called nostalgia in my book.

This entire topic is dedicated to the "poor state of Gwent today" and "why i uninstalled it". Large portions of the posts that i read compare the current gwent to beta, how HC ruined the game for them and how boring and unbalanced it is even after the expansions. Nothing wrong with that but comparing something current to a thing of the past that you enjoyed but that will never come back is called nostalgia in my book.
insert "THANK YOU" gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom