And so we've come full circle

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
With full circle, I am talking about the power level of cards and the viable strategies they can employ. In this thread I'll give one example, but it applies to other situations as well. During the early stages of Gwent Homecoming, the game introduced a wide array of new mechanics, like artifacts, and, partly because of this, it was difficult to balance the game. The solution was usually to nerf cards until they fell out of favor (became unplayable). This practice has caused the death of many archetypes; one of them being SK discard.

Recently, the devs have changed their strategy and started buffing cards instead (which I kept suggestion for a long time). While I do like this new road they have taken, it makes me wonder about the archetypes which has been discarded (pun intended) along side the road. In the olden days, those archetypes might have been too overwhelming. However, now, with the new power level, they might actually be acceptable. NG has the new hyper-thin package and that's something which was too strong in SK discard. Yet, here it is again, in a different faction. My suggestion would be to bring back SK discard and unnerf some cards, like Derran and Coral, but make them conditional.

Speaking of thinning, every expansion introduces new cards and if those cards enable (more) thinning then, soon, every faction will have hyper-thin and that would be a bad situation. To solve this, I suggest to bring back conditional thinning, which only works with specific archetypes. An example is Aelirenn (who require elves) vs Roach (which only requires a gold). Another example is the old Slyzard, which consumed an unit from the graveyard and pulled a copy from the deck.

I've mostly talked about the thinning aspect, but other mechanics also apply. So, which archetypes or mechanics would you like to see brought back (now that the power level has been increased)?

Weather archetype and timer-abilities.

1.Weather should be for both sites again and some factions should benefit from it, like ie giant in the past.

2. I was a huge fan of timer based effects, like popular Villentretenmerth for example. All "order" should be replaced by timers, would significantly fasten the game without losing much of depth. Maybe implement some support-effects like "set target timer +1/-1; reset it, ect..."

Yeah, ppl at 0 are starting to play with poison ale, scorch Regis, spear and other anti-design decks, I'm done wasting my time playing against such sheer stupidity of decks full of neutrals.

I've should I've realized faster that I am wasting my time and uninstall sooner.

Strengthen archetype
(for example boost an unit and then turn it into a Skeleton Knight which changes buff into strength and then summon him from graveyard)

Boon (beer)

Resilence Dwarwes

Alchemy and +25 cards in deck

I've only been playing since July but as said above I would like to see weather effects etc become viable. Even with Detlaff rework Crimson Moon isn't playable due to the amount of set up required and it's limited turn duration.

SK + Storm + Ragnaroog etc

MO + Fog

Hopefully once all the faction reworks are done we might see some of these return. I think CDPR's biggest issue atm is they don't seem to have a definitive direction they want to take the game in.

Most deck thinners are just far too cheap compared to what they do. If they were balanced properly hyper thinning wouldn't be a thing anymore.

Bruele

Forum regular
Weather, discard, witchers... reworks all useless cards and rebuff cards that were overnerfed respect actual power level.

Gwent is essentially a game where you build a tower of points. You can diversify a little and also prevent your opponent from building his tower as big as yours. However, without things like a life total to protect, mana to ensure that consistancy of play for decks isn't too high and cards that can affect both sides of the board (just thinking how it's almost impossible to use buff mechanics to line up multi-unit removal), many of the old mechanics don't make Gwent a diverse strategy game. As it is, we can now easily import a decklist into the library, thus making it more a game based around preconstructed decks.

The Gwent team needs to pick a direction and focus on that. With that comes perhaps not trying so hard to build the game they think the community wants. Most recently it was buffing the other factions to the same percieved level as NG and SK. Well, that gave us the first itteration of SY and a reminder why NR is a very difficult faction to find a sweet spot for in terms of power. Before that, things like giving us non-targettable immunity (bring back limited immunity being a popular suggestion during a meta that row effects were winning games) and the ability to reactivate leader abilities. Simply, as much as they chop, change and switch abilities and mechanics between cards, they don't escape the problem of building a tower of points and how having only that in the game restricts their design space. It leads to problematic interactions, particularly where leaders are concerned, and further restricts their ability to design cards with decent effects. I really don't think any of the old archetypes should make a come back. Sure, some of them were a lot of fun to play, but with the current state of things, I think they'll just add too many problems to the game.

When SY was released I played a few games against them as NR and I can't remember who else. I stopped playing soon after I got a sense of what you could do as SY because I didn't want the balance back then to spoil the expansion. I started playing again when 3.2.1 was released to try out SY (Hemmelfart) and so far it's fun because it's still new to me, but I don't know how good or bad it is.

Given the whole "fourth most played leader" sentiment that popped up I liked the idea someone else had of somehow allowing the community access to some analytics so that a greater (free) investment can be made in reporting on the state of the game. I know we were meant to interpret that as Burza's personal opinion but it was probably shared by other members of the team, or maybe he was just the one who voiced it.

This isn't a knock on them - we make mistakes - but I think it perhaps highlights the fact that CDPR needs to ensure the success of Cyberpunk, and are committing as many resources as they can to let it shine. I mean, come on, they have Keanu Reeves on board! I can only guess that Gwent has suffered a bit because of this and due to adding mobile support.

The idea is not exactly open source but sort of leaning to open contribution, if that makes sense. It seems the community would gladly pitch in for free if CDPR opened channels for people to explore analytics, develop/design tools or reports and graphs. Things like this really just depend on everyone's imagination.

So that's something I'd like to see . . . new mechanisms that allow the community to contribute to Gwent, even if it's just for new ideas/feedback to come out of it.

Also, can somebody please fix the ability text alignment on Igor the Hook and Queen of the Night - I don't recall if there were more cards like that haha.

CDPR needs to ensure the success of Cyberpunk, and are committing as many resources as they can to let it shine. I mean, come on, they have Keanu Reeves on board! I can only guess that Gwent has suffered a bit because of this and due to adding mobile support.
Gwent has its on dedicated team and I really don't think that cyberpunk development has any bearing on the the work put into Gwent

Gwent has its on dedicated team and I really don't think that cyberpunk development has any bearing on the the work put into Gwent

Even if Gwent has a dedicated team, CDPR is the entity that must choose where and how to spend resources but, yeah, ultimately I'm in the same boat as you in making speculations based on the design/implementation decisions we've been exposed to since HC was released.

Nobody else find it ironic that CDPR are scrabbling around trying to please/improve the community an entire year after dropping a bomb on the beta version. Perhaps if they hadn't completely rinsed the game so many people spent time and money on, they wouldn't have quite so many problems today......

My favourite deck in Beta was a ST deck where for a big move I'd use Pavko into Pit Trap, then Nivellen would move a bunch of units onto it. Got to 20 (21 was top for HC only players) with it. Now Pavko's average, Nivellen useless, Pit Trap does something else, etc. I'd like to see traps reworked and improved, weather given a new lease of life, etc. as it's useless right now and never get played.

I'd like to see all golds costing 1600 or 3200 reduced to the standard 800, or made 800 and reduce other golds to 400-600 scraps, should be a better method for crafting; more accessible cards will equal more decks. What about the notion of adding a subscription cost to the game, to compensate for making cards easier to craft?

Eist weather actually is quite strong. While you here were saying coins and DJ were strong I can say that the Eist deck lost 0 matches vs Dijkstra when I played it.

Top Bottom