Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
There are also some "improvements" which overall do the job, e.g. when in "The witcher" King Foltest speaks with Geralt, he used a phrase (in polish) "Masz babo placek" which means more or less "that's the problem" but it would be rather spoken by some peasant, not by the king of Temeria. So, it was replaced with "I see". :)[/QUOTE]"Masz babo placek!" is more like a "dang!" but longer;)I think it was right to make the hicks speak old English (old-hicks-English it should be) as it was the core of this particular story on it's humoristic layer (Geralt and Jaskier keep mocking the locals). I'm wodering, how Danusia Stok translated the saying "gdzie diabel mówi dobranoc" in the last dialogue between Geralt, Jaskier and a "devol"?

macell said:
I think it was right to make the hicks speak old English (old-hicks-English it should be) as it was the core of this particular story on it's humoristic layer (Geralt and Jaskier keep mocking the locals). I'm wodering, how Danusia Stok translated the saying "gdzie diabel mówi dobranoc" in the last dialogue between Geralt, Jaskier and a "devol"?
'Goodnight,' said the devil.

gregg said:
gregg said:
I think it was right to make the hicks speak old English (old-hicks-English it should be) as it was the core of this particular story on it's humoristic layer (Geralt and Jaskier keep mocking the locals). I'm wodering, how Danusia Stok translated the saying "gdzie diabel mówi dobranoc" in the last dialogue between Geralt, Jaskier and a "devol"?
So it basically makes no sense.

The Lithanian translation was very well done too...In fact I just can't understand one thing....There is only one book in ENG :eek: ,but in Lithuania in a very small country we have almost all the books ??? Maybe because Lithania is a neighbour of Poland :)

Brysiu said:
Brysiu said:
Brysiu said:
So it basically makes no sense.
As I recall the last sentence from "The edge of the world" in polish is:"- Dobranoc - powiedział diabeł."Imo everything is in order. ;)
AFAIK there's no such proverb in English as "[a place] where the devil says goodnight". The original ending was brilliant, in English it's just an ending, the wordplay is gone. Translator should've looked for some devil-related English provereb and adjust the dialague to follow Sapkowski's idea for a joke.

In Czech we have not saying "[a place] where the devil says goodnight" , but we have similar : "[a place] where the fox says goodnight" . So our translation ( it is: "Dobrou noc," řekl ďábel.) is not quite perfect - like in English, but I can understand that joke :) I´m curious how is translated the wonderful dialect which is used by villagers in this novel. :))

In fact, there is a proverb in german "Wo der Teufel gute Nacht sagt". I'm still waiting for the whole Saga translation, where there are many more awkward sentences, like from "The time of contempt":"Paziowie roznosili na tacach wino, lawirując wśród gości. Yennefer w ogóle nie piła. Wiedźmin miał ochotę, ale nie mógł. Dublet pił. Pod pachami."And yeah, I've also realised that Danusia Stok has some minor problems with solving such untranslatable sentences...Cammaris -> We're discussing this, they are using ye old english dialect ;).

Brysiu said:
In fact, there is a proverb in german "Wo der Teufel gute Nacht sagt". I'm still waiting for the whole Saga translation, where there are many more awkward sentences, like from "The time of contempt":"Paziowie roznosili na tacach wino, lawirując wśród gości. Yennefer w ogóle nie piła. Wiedźmin miał ochotę, ale nie mógł. Dublet pił. Pod pachami."
Just a quick idea, I don't know if it makes any sense. Yennefer didn't drink at all. The witcher would like to but he couldn't. He drank in the feeling of his doublet far too tight under the arms.Some sentences may be impossible to translate but there's always a way to overcome this. At worst a good translator would change the whole paragraph because to keep original style is more important than the literal translation (word for a word).

Ok, now I feel I am missing out on a witticism! The end of Edge of the world, in English was thus;Jaskier ("Dandilion" in the english translation, but I think that should be more like "Buttercup?" or some sort of flower???) looking for a title for his Ballad:"Maybe, "The Edge of the World?""Banal" snorted the poet. "Even if it is really the edge, it's got to be described differently. Metaphorically. I take it you know what a metaphor is, Geralt? Hmm...Let me think..."Where..." Bloody hell. "where-""Goodnight," said the devil.Now, I took this as two things. One, just Torque (the Deovel) interrupting Jaskier's (Dandilion, Buttercup, what-have-you) train of thought. And Two, inadvertently giving him the name of his ballad, i.e.: "Where the Devil says goodnight."From what I glean from this thread, there is some sort of double meaning to "Where the devil says goodnight" in the original Polish? Would someone mind attempting to enlighten me as to what that would be? ???It is bad enough I have missed out on these stories for so long, I would hate to miss out on nuances the author was intending. ;DThanks, and be well!A.·.

Wiedzmin93, it's very simple. There's an old proverb in Polish for describing places far away and it goes "where the devil says goodnight".And yes, jaskier is a flower.

macell said:
Wiedzmin93, it's very simple. There's an old proverb in Polish for describing places far away and it goes "where the devil says goodnight".
Well, places not only remote, but also not interesting at all. A place you don't want to visit...

Wiedzmin93 said:
Jaskier ("Dandilion" in the english translation, but I think that should be more like "Buttercup?" or some sort of flower???)
"Buttercup" is, in fact, a direct translation of polish "jaskier" (a flower), but imo it doesn't reflect bard's true nature. So Danusia Stok came with a neologism - Dandy (fop) + Dandelion (also some sort of flower :p).

Brysiu said:
Brysiu said:
Jaskier ("Dandilion" in the english translation, but I think that should be more like "Buttercup?" or some sort of flower???)
"Buttercup" is, in fact, a direct translation of polish "jaskier" (a flower), but imo it doesn't reflect bard's true nature. So Danusia Stok came with a neologism - Dandy (fop) + Dandelion (also some sort of flower :p).
I figured it had something to do with his "Fancy dress" ;D Thank you for the replies!

Hello my Witcher friends.... I finally got my book. Took a long time but.. its here and now im going to read it .... maybe by the time I'm done reading it... they will have the goodies section up so I can order some toys for the top of my compooter before I play the game.. cough cough hint hint.

Good for you :) Don't forget to share your opinion on the book after reading.However it wasn't really necessary to start a new topic. So I'll merge it with the one already existing ;)

Well, hey, i've read the book! I usually never read books.. but this one had me. It's what i've always wanted! A hero which struggles with the himself as a living being..trying to find answers to certain things. Perfecto! there's one thing though...the book handle is bad...a few pages ran off...and the ink fades away easly away.. Oh well, I can live with that! Time to read it again.. I guess ;)Btw, When will the next book be out?

Yeah, the print is @!&^%#!&^$%... I mean of very poor quality ;)I hope the other books will be out soon. What wonders me however is that I read somewhere that they started translating the first volume of Witcher saga and not the second volume of short stories. That would be kind of strange move in my opinion.

According to Amazon.co.uk, "Blood of the Elves" (Novel) will be out Sept. 14. I already have mine pre-ordered. ;DAnd I agree, The Last Wish could have been put together a little better, it started falling apart on me at page 13...but I wanted to read it, not frame. ;)

Top Bottom