Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
well I didn't read the whole 20 something pages of this thread but anybody knows is there an Andrzej Sapkowski original home website?

neuhikari said:
well I didn't read the whole 20 something pages of this thread but anybody knows is there an Andrzej Sapkowski original home website?
Yes, but it's only in Polish: http://www.sapkowski.pl

I have "The Last Wish" by Anderzej Sapkowski and it's in English. Have a look on www.amazon.co.uk it should be there.

Checked on the latest info on the Last Wish and found that they had changed the sourcelor? to witcher.
Geralt de Riv is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent. He roams the country seeking assignments, but gradually comes to realise that while some of his quarry are unremittingly vile, vicious grotesques, others are the victims of sin, evil or simple naivety. One reviewer said: 'This book is a sheer delight. It is beautifully written, full of vitality and endlessly inventive: its format, with half a dozen episodes and intervening rest periods for both the hero and the reader, allows for a huge range of characters, scenarios and action. It's thought-provoking without being in the least dogmatic, witty without descending to farce and packed with swordfights without being derivative. The dialogue sparkles; characters morph almost imperceptibly from semi-cliche to completely original; nothing is as it first seems. Sapkowski succeeds in seamlessly welding familiar ideas, unique settings and delicious twists of originality: his Beauty wants to rip the throat out of a sensitive Beast; his Snow White seeks vengeance on all and sundry, his elves are embittered and vindictive. It's easily one of the best things I've read in ages.'
It also seems that Blood of Elves has been translated to English and is being released this year.
Geralt stands out, with his white hair and his piercing eyes, his cynicism and his lack of respect for authority ...but he is far more than just a striking-looking man: Geralt is a witcher. His sorcerous powers, honed by long years of training and enhanced by magical exlixirs, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. He is no ordinary murderer, though: his targets are the demons and vile fiends who prey on the unwary innocent. BLOOD OF ELVES is the first true novel about Geralt, the witcher, following on from the bestseller THE LAST WISH.[

Woolai said:
Checked on the latest info on the Last Wish and found that they had changed the sourcelor? to witcher.
Sorceleur was in the initial description on Amazon only because the first description was translated from the French one (before the publisher submitted theirs).

Ausir said:
Ausir said:
Sorceleur was in the initial description on Amazon only because the first description was translated from the French one (before the publisher submitted theirs).
Ok I thought it was the name they had chosen for witchers in the English translation, I seem to recall reading something about that in the forum somewhere.

No, that's the French name for witchers that Amazon used as a placeholder on their English site as well for a while.

Hmm! I don't like it! They've just had The Last Wish and now they're gonna have The Blood of Elves? Didn't they miss The Sword of Destiny? They shouldn't read The Blood of Elves before they read The Sword of Destiny doesn't matter if all real fun starts in Blood of Elves! Chronology is chronology and it's sacred! ;P

Well, the exposition in "Blood of Elves" (the scene under Bleobheris) is so well written that reading "The Sword of Destiny" is not necessary to understand the novels. Still, it would be best if they kept the chronology.

I read it like this, "Last Wish" and then "Blood of the Elves", I probably got back to "Sword..." by the time I finished "Baptism of Fire". And I don't regret it ;p No problems following the story.

Yeah, but Sapkowski's novels miss a lots because of translation. We've got lots of "archaism words" in our language (I'm from Poland) and this is very funny in Sapkowski's books. I know than English readers have "archaism word" too, but most of them are disappear in "The Last Wish". I'ts a pity!,..........................BTW: sorry for terrible english :)

The second novel in the Witcher Saga (and fourth book in the Witcher series) has been announced with a September 2009 release date:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Anger-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0575085088/rThe title was translated as "Times of Anger", even though a more literal translation (and one used in the game) would be "The Time of Disdain").

My copy of L'Epee de la Providence (Sword of Destiny) just arrived in the mail from Canada. Thank you, my Canadian friends!Unfortunately, I can't start reading it yet, because I have a date with my sweetie tonight, and I have to leave soon to meet her. Argh. I mean, a date with my sweetie is a good thing, and so is receiving Sword of Destiny; I just wish that they weren't happening on the same DAY.I wish it were legal for me to translate the stories into English and post them here!

Of the six stories included in the book, only the last two have summaries in the wiki now:http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Miecz_przeznaczeniaI'm sure the more spoiler-happy people will be grateful if you helped summarize the other four. :)

Can somebody post a list of Sapkowki books which were translated in english? I'm living in Netherlands, but I rellay wanna get my hads one of them. Thank you! :)

gamewidow said:
Not everyone can stand my particular slant on those stories, c'mon corylea, the water's fine ! :)
*smile* Thanks for the encouragement, but actually, I haven't finished the book yet; I've been doing other things. I imagine I'll dabble my toes in the water once I'm done.

Top Bottom