Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
Siek said:
Nowadays it's a kind of a strange thing, for the book not to be translated into english first
We have received an unofficial information that the Sapkowski's books are now being translated into English . We do not know much about the date of edition, however, it is said to be probably at the turn of the years 2006 and 2007. If we receive any specific information we will inform you immediatly.

ento

Forum veteran
You can already preorder Sapkowski's Last Wish from amazon.co.uk http://tinyurl.com/9mb6n

Dziadu said:
Siek said:
Nowadays it's a kind of a strange thing, for the book not to be translated into english first
We have received an unofficial information that the Sapkowski's books are now being translated into English . We do not know much about the date of edition, however, it is said to be probably at the turn of the years 2006 and 2007. If we receive any specific information we will inform you immediatly.
That is great news!

When I found out about the game being in the works I started digging in a little bit. From what I dug out I learned that they never attempted translating those books because the way it was written was just too damn hard to translate. I don't know how much truth it holds but when I read the books and tried to translate some stuff into English I simply couldn't find right words even with dictionaries. When I read Lord of the Rings a buddy of mine was surprised that I was reading it in English because it's so hard to understand but I Actually found It easier for me to read it in English then in Polish. LotR was originated in English language so I guess it was harder to translate it into other languages. Maybe that was the reason I couldn't get into the Polish version of the book. So we might have a similar case here with The Witcher.

"Sapkowski's books have been translated into Czech, Russian, Lithuanian, German, Spanish, French, Slovakian and Portuguese. English translation of The Last Wish short story collection is going to be published by Gollancz in 2006." - a quote from Wikipedia EN (there's also a word "witcher" if somebody still thinks that it doesn't exist ;) ). You should know that Sapkowski has a specific sense of humor and it could be hard to trasnlate it into english. For example, anyone knows a story about a shoemaker Dratewka? Sapkowski does and he use it in the story. There are lot's of moments that make me laugh but when I think about them, I realize they wouldn't be understood at all by one that doesn't know polish language...

Bazylik said:
When I found out about the game being in the works I started digging in a little bit. From what I dug out I learned that they never attempted translating those books because the way it was written was just too damn hard to translate. I don't know how much truth it holds but when I read the books and tried to translate some stuff into English I simply couldn't find right words even with dictionaries. When I read Lord of the Rings a buddy of mine was surprised that I was reading it in English because it's so hard to understand but I Actually found It easier for me to read it in English then in Polish. LotR was originated in English language so I guess it was harder to translate it into other languages. Maybe that was the reason I couldn't get into the Polish version of the book. So we might have a similar case here with The Witcher.
So what are you saying? That a translator would refuse to translate it, if any publisher'd ask him to? I don't think so. It would be done - better or worse. After all, it's always a challenge to take on a difficult work. And finally, Sapkowski's been already translated into so many languages - what makes English more difficult than the other translations?

macell said:
So what are you saying? That a translator would refuse to translate it, if any publisher'd ask him to? I don't think so. It would be done - better or worse. After all, it's always a challenge to take on a difficult work. And finally, Sapkowski's been already translated into so many languages - what makes English more difficult than the other translations?
That's right. It may be hard work but sooner or later Sapkowski's books will be translated for sure (as far as I know it would be rather sooner than later )

Well, the hardest part is that it uses much Slavic folklore, it uses dialects and sayings, that cannot be translated into english, becouse the cultural gap is impossible to cross in this case. What I think is needed is an exclent linguist, but also, a person that is familiar with the english rennesaince and the middle ages, who knows all the stories, and who could not only translate the books into english, but someone who could also recreate the reality, using different folklore. But there's also some newer things like a line on a poster in Rivia "Krasnolud, plugawy karzeł zdrady", which could roughly mean "Dwarf, a squalid midget of treachery", but does it make sense ? I don't think so, becouse it comes from a comunistic poster which wrote "Bumelant, plugawy karzeł zdrady"(Sluggard, a squalid midget of treachery). It's a delicate matter I think, which would require a translator, who could be as resilient, witty, knowledgable as Sapkowski himself, with an extensive knowledge on folklore, history, and languages.

macell said:
Of course it can be translated, but can it be translated the way it is supposed to be, that is my concern. Like poster or two posters above mentioned it has many lines, verses, sentences that us Polish folks have no problem understanding but in English those words would not make any sense... I hope it will be eventually translated but I would like to see it translated the way Sapkowski wrote it not just plain translation.

Bazylik said:
[Of course it can be translated, but can it be translated the way it is supposed to be, that is my concern. Like poster or two posters above mentioned it has many lines, verses, sentences that us Polish folks have no problem understanding but in English those words would not make any sense... I hope it will be eventually translated but I would like to see it translated the way Sapkowski wrote it not just plain translation.
Why don't we have same problems with Shakespeare....

Exactly!People all over the world read Tolkien, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Conan Doyle and many other English language writers. Obviously the translation can be done very well if a professional is doing it. Although it is possible that some minute things will be missed, it is overwhelmingly clear that a good translation carries over the spirit and the word of the book.

From what I know LotR had been translated (read: corrected) many times before they nailed it right, hell even english publishers had hard time getting it right... I'm not saying that it's not possible to translate it, but it might be just tough and it would require a good damn professionals like Michael said to do it right... When I read Wiedzmin I look at the little things and I would like to see'em done the right way in English translated books.

Bazylik said:
Like poster or two posters above mentioned it has many lines, verses, sentences that us Polish folks have no problem understanding but in English those words would not make any sense.
Recently I've read 'History and Fantasy' - an inerview with Sapkowski by Beres. At one point Sapkowski was complaining about how many of his hidden jokes and allusions weren't spotted by Wiedzmin readers (Polish readers of course!). He even gave an example, can't remember it now.

I looked at the new titles catalogue of the Gollancz publishing house, it covers future releases up to January 2007 but no sign of witcher there (they are supposed to translate and publish The Last Wish).

Top Bottom