Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
One question.What do you think would be a better option: to choose a native English speaker with a perfect command of Polish or the other way round, a Pole speaking English at the Proficiency level to translate the books?My answer would be: both. I.e. either two translators discussing particular chapters on and on, or - a bilingual person.There are many problems connected with book translations, especially if we deal with dialects and cultural background, so I somewhat doubt an ordinary translator would handle it alone(ordinary, meaning using his or her mothertongue fluently and having a good command of the second language).I reckon it wasn't all in all that hard to translate Potter ot LotR, it was reasonably more difficult to provide the outstanding translation of Shrek, but Witcher...well, some task, isn't it?

undomiel9 said:
What do you think would be a better option: to choose a native English speaker with a perfect command of Polish or the other way round, a Pole speaking English at the Proficiency level to translate the books?
To translate the books from polish to english, I would say - use a native english speaker first and then, of course, back-translation with a native polish speaker to verify. What I see as especially problematic in this case is that (from what I understand) apparently, the books are written in a very particular voice or old dialect or something... it will probably be hard to retain or recreate this same feeling in other languages. I imagine that just the vocabulary will be problematic, whether its combat/weaponry related, or old words, words for older or medieval items not frequently used - that kind of thing. Stuff the ordinary translator might not have expertise with.

Loopy said:
What I see as especially problematic in this case is that (from what I understand) apparently, the books are written in a very particular voice or old dialect or something... it will probably be hard to retain or recreate this same feeling in other languages. I imagine that just the vocabulary will be problematic, whether its combat/weaponry related, or old words, words for older or medieval items not frequently used - that kind of thing. Stuff the ordinary translator might not have expertise with.
Seems you got to the core of the problem. The translator simply must be a scholar plus a learned person who mastered his or her ability to perform multisearches. The sole knowledge of a given language won't do in this very case, I'm afraid. The translator also should be thoroughly educated in the field of history and sciences, and philosophy, and... oh, well. A man of knowledge, as "simple" as that Luckilly, English culture is basically as old as ours, it's development (including the development of the language) was influenced by certain ethnic groups and nations, and, to some extent, the same influence can be traced in our past as well - and Sapkowski, creating a new world, used his knowledge of the past and mixed it with multicultural beliefs and legends, thus forming a hybrid of cultures. What I'm trying to say is that such countries as France or England will definitely find the elements of their own background in the novels, even certain words or phrases. It will make the translation easier...a little.
Loopy said:
To translate the books from polish to english, I would say - use a native english speaker first and then, of course, back-translation with a native polish speaker to verify.
That would be a possible solution, yes. Or - the other way round: first let the Polish translator sweat and then discuss potentially problematic points with an Englishman...and the author himself, as he knows English.

As far as i know, Andrzej Sapkowski himself helped with the book's translation to russian language.. And i think that no one can help better than author himself. So i think if Sapkowski will work with translators one more time - english-speaking man will get a great book with all it's humor and cobwebs...

Does en lang have other words for vampire? Sapkowski's using two: wąpierz & wampir, and if you could read in Polish you would noticed that "Słowiański wąpierz trafił do kultury angielskiej pod nazwą "vampyre" wraz z powieścią Brama Stokera Dracula z 1897 roku, ukazująca diaboliczną działalność hrabiego Vlada IV, zwanego Draculą, w Transylwanii. Wraz z kulturą masową powrócił do nas jako "wampir"." Maybe 'wąpierz' should be translated as 'vampyre'? How is it Russian (romanization form)?

I don't know how to read that Doesn't matter, I guess the situation is similiar since 'wąpierz' and slavic equivalents returned to us from western cultures as 'vampire', did they? Now I can't imagine how should the first one be translated to English when "vampire" word evaluated directly from slavic 'wąpierz' in past... This example camed to my mind whilst reading:
undomiel9 said:
Luckilly, English culture is basically as old as ours, it's development (including the development of the language) was influenced by certain ethnic groups and nations, and, to some extent, the same influence can be traced in our past as well(...)

undomiel9 said:
Luckilly, English culture is basically as old as ours, it's development (including the development of the language) was influenced by certain ethnic groups and nations, and, to some extent, the same influence can be traced in our past as well - and Sapkowski, creating a new world, used his knowledge of the past and mixed it with multicultural beliefs and legends, thus forming a hybrid of cultures. What I'm trying to say is that such countries as France or England will definitely find the elements of their own background in the novels, even certain words or phrases. It will make the translation easier...a little.
I agree with you only to some extent. It is possible, for an able translator, to interpret the meaning of certain phrases, cope with the concept it denotes and eventually put it into the target language. However, you must admit that even the best translation has its limits. What I mean is that, in this case, the exact, original meaning of a cultural phrase cannot be conveyed in 100% (even 80%) in any translation. There's simply too large cultural gap between the languages. "The Witcher" saga is heavily Slavic. It may include some "international" elements,yet it still remains more "Polish" than anyone's else. You implied that development of both English and Polish cultures was influenced by the same ethnic groups. This, in my view, is not true since Poland was affected much stronger by Russia and Germany (guess why?) than UK (not even mentioning US). One may argue that British and American culture has been affecting ours for many years. Nevertheless, this have never worked the other way round. We can understand Tolkien because we are already familiar with Anglo-Saxon culture, even through mass media, but I can't guarantee that the English will make sth out from Mr Sapkowki's book even with the best translation possible. That's why I fear that "the Witcher" won't enjoy as much popularity as it has in Poland.

Perhaps I'm utterly wrong, but I don't think the background of the novel is as Slavic as you see it. Currently, I'm in the course of re-reading the series, focusing especially on this very aspect and - guess what - I find hardly any traces of the "Polish" culture in the story so far.What I find in the plotline is actually quite universal, as it refers to the common beliefs more than to any country's history in particular. Plus, you must realize that Sapkowski himself admits he based his world on the one presented by Tolkien. If this background is not understandable enough for an English reader - then what is?And mind you, I didn't say we share the same cultural heritage with the UK (US didn't even cross my mind, no). I only pointed out some of the influences which can be found in both cultures (didn't German tribes invade Britain?). And I implied that Sapkowski mixed it all together.However, what you claim is indeed shared by many readers - I refer here to the conviction that the saga's backround is Slavic. It stems, as far as I'm concerned, from the simple fact that there's a plethora of old-Polish names for fauna and flora, that's all. If that is the reason you believe will disinterest the English readers, then well, fair enough.One more thing -
Mrowakus said:
We can understand Tolkien because we are already familiar with Anglo-Saxon culture
- LotR and Silmarillion are as Anglo-Saxon as The Witcher is Slavic, I'm afraid. Just to mention the elven language, based on the Ugrofinnish dialects. Anyway, we both do agree that the translator should be skilled indeed, don't we?

undomiel9 said:
Anyway, we both do agree that the translator should be skilled indeed, don't we?
I think everybody hopes for that!Also, for what it's worth, I am a Canadian born-and-raised speaker of English, and in reading the short stories that have been translated so far, one of the things I found engaging about the writing was the use of unconventional (in English anyway) sayings and phrases. While they way they came across perhaps doesn't capture all the nuances of their Polish meaning, they nevertheless show departure from standard English language conventions, which made it that much more interesting to read. In this way, I think the very fact that they are translated novels will work in their favour.

undomiel9 said:
Anyway, we both do agree that the translator should be skilled indeed, don't we?
We do, indeed. I agree that there's a huge burden on the translators to cope with such an example of masterpiece. Hence, they must be real professionals, as the fact that Mr Sapkowski took his inspiration from different cultures, in my view, does not make the process easier. As you stated before the ideal translator should not only have throughout knowledge of both languages but also be a scholar, a woman/man of knowledge who has more than general idea of European history and mentality of people leaving here. Yes, the plot in "the Witcher" has universal meaning, yes, it refers to common beliefs, and yes, the French and the English may find the elements of their own backgrounds in the novels. However, I was concerned about two things: Firstly, I'm afraid that it is that they won't find, won't recognise Polish or Slavic accent in the plot without which the unique "spirit" of the whole saga is not the same. Secondly, what is fairly understandable to the British and French may not be so clear to Americans. The crew responsible for translation must find a way to preserve the spirit and to reflect cultural nuances of the nations of "the Old Continent." I wouldn't like to be in their shoes if they were to fail.
undomiel9 said:
- LotR and Silmarillion are as Anglo-Saxon as The Witcher is Slavic, I'm afraid. Just to mention the elven language, based on the Ugrofinnish dialects.
I have always thought that LotR was inspired by Anglo-Saxon culture. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tolkien an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language? Moreover, it is clearly visible that he was inspired by Old English literature (a character and his companions set off on a journey into unkown. All of them are brave, loyal and honourable. Suddenly, the hero and his most faithful follower find themselves in isolation and are forced to face adversities which prove their spiritual strength. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?). Plus, I think that Ugrofinnish dialect is somehow related to Viking/Norsemen culture. If that's the case, in 9th century the Norse and English were so simiar that both nations could understand each other (not without some problems), I also found out that word "Middle-earth" derived from Old English "middangear" - the lands inhabitable by humans.

Crimson Ice said:
In this way, I think the very fact that they are translated novels will work in their favour.
I'm kinda glad that enjoyed reading the stories. It only proved that my opinion on the matter might be too pesimistic and that it is possible to make "Witcher" not only digestible but also both entertaining and thought-provoking. I hope you'll get even better translations Crimson Ice.

Mrowakus said:
Firstly, I'm afraid that it is that they won't find, won't recognise Polish or Slavic accent in the plot without which the unique "spirit" of the whole saga is not the same. Secondly, what is fairly understandable to the British and French may not be so clear to Americans. The crew responsible for translation must find a way to preserve the spirit and to reflect cultural nuances of the nations of "the Old Continent." I wouldn't like to be in their shoes if they were to fail.
First thing that crossed my mind when I was reading your post was: why do you think people read books written by foreign writers? Because I believe one of the reasons is that they want to know what the author has to say, they want to meet some new worlds and become acquainted with foreign cultures. It's the curiosity that drives them. They find out many new things, they learn new connotations and nuances - they search for the meaning of some odd phrases. At least that's what I do when I come across a book by the author from distant part of the world - Africa, Asia, South America. Many things are new to me, I don't reckognize most culture accents till the moment I finish the book.Let me put it that way: I realise that citizens of England or US don't have to be interested in the culture and "spirit" of a small Central European country. In that case, no matter whether the book translation is performed in a perfect way or not, they won't be eager to read it, because they won't care about getting to know some Slavic culture, will they?I'm not sure I'm coherent enough in what I'm trying to say, feel free to ask me if you find my stream of thoughts too complicated, would you?
Mrowakus said:
I have always thought that LotR was inspired by Anglo-Saxon culture. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tolkien an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language? (...) Plus, I think that Ugrofinnish dialect is somehow related to Viking/Norsemen culture. If that's the case, in 9th century the Norse and English were so simiar that both nations could understand each other (not without some problems), I also found out that word "Middle-earth" derived from Old English "middangear" - the lands inhabitable by humans.
Yes, Tolkien was the professor of the Anglo-Saxon faculty in Oxford. He also happend to know over 20 other languages, what must have left visible traces in the LotR composition. And I wouldn't put Ungrofinnish dialect together with Norman one, because these languages belong to two completely different branches of the language family tree.
Mrowakus said:
Moreover, it is clearly visible that he was inspired by Old English literature (a character and his companions set off on a journey into unkown. All of them are brave, loyal and honourable. Suddenly, the hero and his most faithful follower find themselves in isolation and are forced to face adversities which prove their spiritual strength. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?).
Just for the record - the archetype of a journey functions in many different cultures - Ancient Greek and Roman, for example. Christian!How to put it...well, Anglo-Saxon culture is not the oldest one, you see. You cannot treat it as the basis of whole creation No offence.

Like I said in dozen other topics there's nothing so special about Sapkowski to make him impossible to understand for a foreigner. Like someone mentioned, the books are more 'westernish' than one could thought. There're always things you won't discover in the book, why, it's possible for an English reader to spot something you didn't, something related to the western culture. If the translator managed to preserve the specific charm of Sapkowski's writing style, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

macell,
If the translator managed not to preserve the specific charm of Sapkowski's writing style
there is SOMETHING to worry about. i'd say that will be a greatest mistake in the translation. This book could never became so popular and so interesting without that charm of writing style!

a one question, that eats my brain for a whole day)how old was Geralt in the books? )))In the "Pani jeziora" Yennefer says that she is ~90 years old, Jaskier was less then 30, but Geralt - main hero of the books... I can't remember his age was noticed...

well i don't know.. maybe we can somehow calculate their age ? well i remmeber when Geralt showed sharaweed or sharawed (can't remmeber the exact name) to Ciri, he sounded like talking from his memories and that makes you think that geralt could be atleast 70 years old.. but well... this is just me maybe translation to my language is innacurate...

And the people from www.sapkowski.pl calculate Geralt to be near one hundred years old. It is said that he was born about half of century before Triss Merigold was.

Top Bottom