Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
GlifionTriss Merigold said she was born 50 years before attack on Kaer Morhen, and Geralt was witcher already... And he was working already, 'cause every single witcher that was in the castle died fighting with attackers...but 100 years sounds well...Loopy yeah, that mentioned in book. Witchers can live as long as sorcerers do, but they are not complitely sure about it themselves, because non of them ever died peacfully )

Tenser oh, sorry, i forgot to ask they about it when i had an opportunity)but i think much longer than 300-400 years..

Well theoretically they could extend their lifetime magically as long as they want. As far as I remember wizards and sorceresses generally didn't die in their beds (maybe except those poisoned :)

General question, sort of (out of pure curiosity):I was always wondering how English-speaking readers came across Sapkowski's books.I realize the tales are now being in the course of translating to be released in not so distant future, but many people have already heard about them, not to mention the novels which weren't translated into English at all. So - how did you discover them for yourselves? Where? When?

As far as I know, many learned about the books because of the game and info about its story inspired by the Witcher saga . Many people here on our forum speak english but they're from Spain, Germany or France where Sapkowski's books were published. And they spread the news worldwide:)

I did indeed learn about The Witcher saga through this very game...I was reading about some RPG or another on a gaming website (Gamespot I think) one day, and to the right of the article they have an area where is shows games related to the one you're currently reading about. Well, it had a screenshot of The Witcher there, and as it looked intriguing and I had never heard of it before, I decided to check it out. I immediately liked what I saw, even at that early stage (this was over 2 years ago now). Since then I've gotten all my information on this universe from the game and its fans, and the few short stories that have been translated into English.So that's how I learned about The Witcher, and now I can't wait for the English translations of the novels to be released so I can finally read the saga for myself :). And, of course, I can't wait for the game to come out either ;)

I also came across the books from a web reference to the game. I don't know if it was gamespot or octopusoverlords, but it was game related. I think the game will be at least marginally better received if the books (or at least some of them) are also available.

I found the book under the christmas-tree:):). I'm from Lithuania, it's local country to poland, so it's not suprising that books are published here

adamray

Yeah, it's really better to read the books first. After watching TV series you'll get the wrong first impression on the witcher;)

Most people in Poland consider the film "The Witcher", as one of the worst ever. I saw it too.... it was horrible, there was nothing left from the feeling that I had when reading the books. I didnt see nor feel the fate that Geralt always had behind his back, and that made most of his friends die. Even the battle scenes were... silly. I enjoyed reading them much better then watching in the movie. I know it is hard work to do such a movie, but this film was below all measuers. But what to expect when the people that made it didn't realy read the books? Parts of the book maybe.The tv series where better, but still, that was not it.About the book: I wonder how will the translation influance the fight scenes and the humor (which is terrific, realy I had loads of loughts.)And to those who are going to read it: The whole line cosists of 7 books: two books of short stories about the Witcher, and 5 books od the Witcher saga. For a begining i purpose to start witch the stories. They are excelent, and you dont need to know the saga to enjoy them.

adamray

The stories are some kind of the preludium of The Witcher's Saga. They tell you about the origin of Geralt, explain the relations of him and Yennefer, they also introduce many characters who will also take part in the saga's plot. I strongly recommend you to read the stories first, the saga will be more clear and easier to understand then.I'm not worried about the translation of the fight scenes but humour is something very difficult to be translated well. I only hope that the translator will manage to give back that specefic, ironic style which is used by Andrzej Sapkowski in his books.

adamray

I'm also curious who have commited that crime and delivered you the movie?;)

Adamray said:
I'm also curious who have commited that crime and delivered you the movie?;)
terrorists...But seriously i'd like to se them too, not cuz they're good(they're not ) just cuz i'm curious. So Kingtedy give a sign of life

Top Bottom