Andrzej Sapkowski Books

+
The book "Last Wish" is available !! !! !! Hardcover and Paperback.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Wish-Gollancz-S-F/dp/0575077824/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-7863606-0314347?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183040323&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Elves-Gollancz-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0575077840/ref=pd_sbs_b_1/202-6325903-7823053?ie=UTF8&qid=1183040323&sr=8-1
Availability: Not yet published: you may still order this title. We will dispatch it to you when we receive it from the publisher. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

I don't remember where, so I can't show it to you right now, but I've seen a new cover, which incorporates the CDPR's medalion instead of that shitty pigwolf.When I'll stumble on it by any accident, then I'll edit the link in.EDIT: Heh, I've found it, but the forums it was one seem to have some problems with their phpBB...You can check it up when their forums are back online, though.http://www.arwz.com/arwz/viewtopic.php?t=858But, you know, that mas as well be an edit, by some disappointed forumite...

I've finally got my hands on the english transalation of "The last wish". After few pages I'm pretty satisfied with the overall quality, still better wait till the end with giving it 10/10. I'll do my best to write a review asap.Last but not least, I can confirm the removal of that weasel-looking wolf. Nice to see the cooperation between the publisher and CDPR (also in terms of advertisements at the end of the book ;) ).

Aaaw No! I came in this thread hoping to get the titles of all Sapkowski books to read in the meantime before the game comes out...only one book in English? Well, it's a start...getting a copy is a must for me now ;) I grabbed those links to look at, too...thanks guys :)

KsandrWarfire said:
Lesser Evil - One of the short stories about Witcher Geralt written by Andrzej Sapkowski.
Hi, I wanted to download the story to "spam" my English speaking friends with it (I myself now Sapkowski's stories and novels by heart ;) ) but the link is dead. Any chance to get the story somewhere?

I don't think so. These were the early translations, and since "The Last Wish" is out in print I don't think you'll be able to download it from anywhere.

Daerdin said:
I don't think so. These were the early translations, and since "The Last Wish" is out in print I don't think you'll be able to download it from anywhere.
Google is our mistic friend ;Dhttp://www.sme.sk/datahry/683/shortstoryLesserEvil.pdf (yes, link works)

Thanks a lot. :) (Sometime advices we give to others, we can't use on ourselves - like me in this case ::) )

Hmm... I be honest I am somewhat disappointed at the quality of the translation. This is not to say that I can do better, but I felt it was lacking the flow and overall felt a bit awkward.

Remember that any PDF files you find over the net are just first, as to say, trial translations. Made only for promotional purposes. The final one, is the one that was released last month.Or are you talking about the printed one?

MichaelT said:
No, no, I was talking about the PDF linked earlier.
Heh, that's the reason. Translation of "The last wish" by Danusia Stok is much, much better, still there are some linguistic troublemakers like e.g in "The lesser evil" when Caldemeyn, the alderman of Blaviken speaks of Kikimora, he modifies it to (in polish) "kociozmora". In english there goes "felispectre". For a Pole it's barely understandable (felis - cat + spectre = kociozmora), for english-speaking readers probably not at all :-\. How difficult is translation of some native polish phrases we can see for ourselves in "The edge of the world". I'm not sure if replacing old polish with old english (you know, that "takest thou" etc. stuff) is the right procedure, you must check it for yourself. There are also some "improvements" which overall do the job, e.g. when in "The witcher" King Foltest speaks with Geralt, he used a phrase (in polish) "Masz babo placek" which means more or less "that's the problem" but it would be rather spoken by some peasant, not by the king of Temeria. So, it was replaced with "I see". :)All in all, reading was very pleasant, at least from my (polish) perspective. Now I'm waiting for some english-speaking readers to add something...

My opinion on the matter is strictly unprofessional, and comes from a journalism perspective rather than that of an interpreter. I speak both English and Russian, alas not Polish, but I felt that the Russian translation was very well done. That is beside the point, however.What I wanted to say, is that there is a huge trade off to authenticity that's gained through the use of anachronisms such as "thou art". In most cases this alienates the reader instead of providing him or her with immersion. If you look at any of the popular fantasy titles such as Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Dragonlance, Wizard of Earthsea, etc., you will notice that all of them use modern English despite the fact that the settings are all pseudo-medieval.Although different characters may use various kinds of slang (even author/interpreter invented slang), it is probably best to keep it within modern English context.

Top Bottom