Andrzej Sapkowski might be writing a new Witcher book

+
"I've got one choice. To live under the bridge or write another part of The Witcher Saga."

Maybe i am a bit pessimistic especially after reading Season of Storms, but he said it like a joke.

Spoiler for Season of Storms, as for the whole series:
At the end of the book it will jump into the future with Nimue and she actually meets a witcher, which reminds her of Geralt, but sadly he corrects her that he isn't Geralt, but he is flattered to be called as the famous Geralt of Rivia mentions that Geralt would be probably happy that people still remember him. According to that witcher Geralt is dead for like 100 years now and has never seen before.

Also the bit about a possible 4th or 5th witcher game, it's more like: "if there is any 4th or 5th game ANYTIME, he won't be involved in those either." So he is just denying his involvement, no matter whether CDPR planned another game or not.

Even though i wished he would write 10 new books like Season of Storms...

Last edited:
eh for Sapkowski games are non cannon so he can what he likes about the books

so if he writes a new book its has nothing to do with the games

I wonder if that's why CDPR is having Geralt's story "wrapped up."

Are they worried their games will become nonsensical as continuations?

I wonder if that's why CDPR is having Geralt's story "wrapped up."

Are they worried their games will become nonsensical as continuations?

They announced that TW3 would be the last in the Geralt series a long time before there were announcements of new books.

The past weekend I read the "Season of Storms" book, which I quite like it, and one thing that caught my eye was that I got the feeling that the author was doing an amount of worldbuilding that seemed out of place for a history that was only a selfcontained prequel... and I got the impression that Sapkowsky was planting the seeds for future books.

For example, in one of the latest chapters of the books, Geralt meets a new character whose existence gives us further info about the witchers. That character has a very tangential relation with the story of the book, and I thought that his apparition was quite useless... unless we are supposed to meet him again in the future.

If there ever be another Witcher game, I hope we can create our own Witcher and choose which school we come from etc.

The games and the novels are totally separate. The game is non Canon so whatever happens ion game has no impact on whatever will be in the novels.I am still reading Baptism of Fire atm so have a bit to go before I catch up.

Spoiler for Season of Storms, as for the whole series:
At the end of the book it will jump into the future with Nimue and she actually meets a witcher, which reminds her of Geralt, but sadly he corrects her that he isn't Geralt, but he is flattered to be called as the famous Geralt of Rivia mentions that Geralt would be probably happy that people still remember him. According to that witcher Geralt is dead for like 100 years now and has never seen before.
Even though i wished he would write 10 new books like Season of Storms...

Dunno.
To me it was obvious that it was Geralt, and not someone else.

Dunno.
To me it was obvious that it was Geralt, and not someone else.

Hmm, yeah, i am probably wrong about that, but when i read it, it didn't feel like Geralt to me, i don't know why. The way he spoke just irritated me, it didn't remind me of Geralt.

The ending of Season of Storms is written so ambiguously that it is not clear if Nimue actually met Geralt (though I think it is probable) or just dreamt it (also possible). I did enjoy it a lot and hope Sapkowski writes more, but I would definitely prefer more prequels.
I wonder why is Sapkowski so completely detached from the writing of the games. Did CDP contact him for consultation or even deeper co-operation and he declined, or did CDP never ask him ?

Did CDP contact him for consultation or even deeper co-operation and he declined, or did CDP never ask him ?

IIRC Sapkowski once commented that he just isn't interested in computer games. I think it's obvious CDPR first went to him for consultation.

I wonder why is Sapkowski so completely detached from the writing of the games. Did CDP contact him for consultation or even deeper co-operation and he declined, or did CDP never ask him ?

If Sapkowski wanted to write a sequel, he would have write one already or has plans for it. I don't think he will let the games influence his work.

I think that Sapkowski most likely offered his help, if CDPR needed it, but nothing else.

For example, in one of the latest chapters of the books, Geralt meets a new character whose existence gives us further info about the witchers. That character has a very tangential relation with the story of the book, and I thought that his apparition was quite useless... unless we are supposed to meet him again in the future.

You mean Brehen? Well
I think he is supposed to be one of the witchers who went to Wyzima to try help Adda, I am not sure if he was the one who ran away, or the one who got killed
. Either way, I wouldn't expect him coming back.

Last edited:
The games and the novels are totally separate. The game is non Canon so whatever happens ion game has no impact on whatever will be in the novels.
What gives you that impression besides Sapkowski's unwillingness to recognize the games as canon? So far they don't contradict each other, Season Of Storm is referenced in WITCHER 3 and I guess it is no coincidence that Sapkowski chose to write a prequel rather than a sequel novel. He may not admit it but he knows that he can only benefit from the synergy of novels and games.

Last edited:
Well I think Sapkowski is really within his rights to try and stay detached from the Games' storyline.

The games are responsible for much of the Witcher popularity. And since the developers continued the story right where Sapkowski left it, I would imagine that it would be really hard for him to tell a different story and discard the storylines of the games, since most people only know about that.

One has to take into consideration that Sapkowski had already developed ideas in his mind for future books after the Saga, but CDPR's games have made those ideas really hard to bring to life, since they would probably contradict each other.

I believe that's one of the reasons Sapkowski decided to do a prequel, to maybe take the time and see what happens with the games, and how he could write around them, because I can't imagine that him writing a book that discards everything that happens in the Games, would be a very popular decision.

Then again, he might have come to a conclusion that he can't marry both his "old" and "new" books and the games together. So he decided to write something "older".

I do hope he writes more books about the Witcher though, both in the past and the future. He is a really interesting and enjoyable writer. But I don't think one can find a way around the games, especially since there are different endings as well.

I bet I'd be frustrated if something blocked my creativity and ideas, even if it has made me popular. Frustrated, not necessarily angry at.

Last edited:
He could eventually do the same thing as Disney did in Star Wars canon - his work is an absolute canon, adaptations could be the ballades narrated by Dandelion.

Top Bottom