Andrzej Sapkowski might be writing a new Witcher book

+
What gives you that impression besides Sapkowski unwillingness to recognize the games as canon? So far they don't contradict each other, Season Of Storm is referenced in WITCHER 3 and I guess it is no coincidence that Sapkowski chose to write a prequel rather than a sequel novel. He may not admit it but he knows that he can only benefit from the synergy of novels and games.

Key word is "so far", we don't know, maybe good old mr.Sap will decide to do a proper sequel to the saga so the games' events would be automatically discarded, sure, he benefits from the "synergy", but only for a while.

I believe that's one of the reasons Sapkowski decided to do a prequel, to maybe take the time and see what happens with the games, and how he could write around them, because I can't imagine that him writing a book that discards everything that happens in the Games, would be a very popular decision.

I never had the impression by him that he would care much about that.

I never had the impression by him that he would care much about that.

I don't know about that. It's not that crazy to assume that it would affect sales. He might not care that much but his publishers definitely do. I don't know, I was just throwing out my thoughts, the way I explain his stance regarding the games.

I think it is the wrong way to see the whole situation just from a financial viewpoint. It's different for a company, but he is just one single man with a creative job.

This is Sapkowski's world, his idea of a fantasy world, it's his work, his baby. He always regretted to sold the rights to make a tv series, because how they butchered his idea of a fantasy world.

If he decides that getting as much money as possible is more important than writing the story the way he wants, then he is betraying not just the fans, but foremost himself.

Frankly, if Sapkowski writes new book and it conflicts with the games, then I will consider the book non-canon, eventhough officially "according to Sapkowski" it will be canon. I am not going to discard decade long journey I had through three amazing interactive stories that CDP crafted over a new book.
But of course ideally he would either write another prequel (and there is a lot of space for that, and Sezon Burz was great already), or he could write a story that does not conflict with games..if he wanted.

I know Sapkowski is a bit arrogant/proud when it comes to adaptations of his works, but still, as much as I understand and accept that Witcher is his baby and original creation, I would find it a bit disrespectful towards CDP and Witcher fans (who played the games) if he chose to completely ignore what the games did and wrote over them.

Frankly, if Sapkowski writes new book and it conflicts with the games, then I will consider the book non-canon, eventhough officially "according to Sapkowski" it will be canon. I am not going to discard decade long journey I had through three amazing interactive stories that CDP crafted over a new book.
But of course ideally he would either write another prequel (and there is a lot of space for that, and Sezon Burz was great already), or he could write a story that does not conflict with games..if he wanted.

I know Sapkowski is a bit arrogant/proud when it comes to adaptations of his works, but still, as much as I understand and accept that Witcher is his baby and original creation, I would find it a bit disrespectful towards CDP and Witcher fans (who played the games) if he chose to completely ignore what the games did and wrote over them.

See that's what I was trying to say. I am sure that Sapkowski can see that something like that would happen for most of his audience, since people who have read the books, are also very likely to have played the games as well.

And that is his problem I think. He can't write over CDPR's work. Either out of respect for them, or simply because of the fact that if he did, many people wouldn't like it, and thus not give his work a chance. Everybody likes the "original" story better. The "remake" is always flawed in some way. And since CDPR wrote Geralt's story after his "death" first, they are the "original", even if they are not considered canon.

And like I said, I'm sure Sapkowski finds that frustrating. I think everyone would. Whatever ideas he may have had, can't be put into paper. He would lose a lot of fans, and his stories would matter less. I am sure he really cares about that.

If Sapkowski will write the story about Geralt, or two or ten, I will be more than happy. The Witcher from Sapkowski was and will be always a canon for me, because, you know, games are games, but books are eternal. No one will play this games after 50 or 100 years, but everyone will be reading a books. Plus, I know a lot Witcher fans who do not give a damn about videogames at all.
Also, there is A LOT of contradictions between books and games, even future state of Witcher world was stated in Saga, but was completely ignored by Reds. I do not see why creator should not continue his story, because someone created a fanficks/alternative stories about his characters. I do not know about USA or other countries, where The Witcher became popular because of the games, but in Europe there was a lot of fans since 1986 who even now are interested only in the original books story. I believe Pan Andrzej should not care about what gamers will think about his stories, because his core audience will support him without second thoughts.

If Sapkowski will write the story about Geralt, or two or ten, I will be more than happy. The Witcher from Sapkowski was and will be always a canon for me, because, you know, games are games, but books are eternal. No one will play this games after 50 or 100 years, but everyone will be reading a books. Plus, I know a lot Witcher fans who do not give a damn about videogames at all.
Also, there is A LOT of contradictions between books and games, even future state of Witcher world was stated in Saga, but was completely ignored by Reds. I do not see why creator should not continue his story, because someone created a fanficks/alternative stories about his characters. I do not know about USA or other countries, where The Witcher became popular because of the games, but in Europe there was a lot of fans since 1986 who even now are interested only in the original books story. I believe Pan Andrzej should not care about what gamers will think about his stories, because his core audience will support him without second thoughts.

Totally agree with you :)

Did CDP contact him for consultation or even deeper co-operation and he declined, or did CDP never ask him ?

from left to right: Adam Kiciński (former head of CDP RED, now CEO of CD Projekt Group), Michał Madej (TW1 chief designer), Andrzej Sapkowski, Michał Kiciński (CD Projekt's co-founder, CEO of CD Projekt Group back then)

Sapkowski said, that they asked for consultation (e.g. map, names etc.), but he was not asked for co-writing. He also said, that he would probably refuse such proposal, because his knowledge about video games is close to zero. He even doesn't want to know more, because he doesn't like to play video games. He prefers books.

If Sapkowski wanted to write a sequel, he would have write one already or has plans for it. I don't think he will let the games influence his work.
I don't think he cares what gamers will think about him. He only cares about books and readers to some (minor) point.

I think that Sapkowski most likely offered his help, if CDPR needed it, but nothing else.
I think not. He's not kind of a guy, who ask about anything. In other words: cheque was more than enough for him.

Well I think Sapkowski is really within his rights to try and stay detached from the Games' storyline.
He doesn't give a damn about games and their stories. At least he suggested this on meeting with fans last summer. I recorded it, you can watch it HERE (Polish only).

The games are responsible for much of the Witcher popularity.
That is true for English-speaking countries, but in Central and Eastern Europe his books are well known since the 90's. In Poland and Russia he's considered a star amongst fantasy fans.

One has to take into consideration that Sapkowski had already developed ideas in his mind for future books after the Saga, but CDPR's games have made those ideas really hard to bring to life, since they would probably contradict each other.
He said many times, that he has exclusive right to tell canon story. Everything else is just adaptation and should be considered as one.

I believe that's one of the reasons Sapkowski decided to do a prequel,
No. He decided to write 'sidequel' (his words), because he definitely finished the Witcher saga (novel series about Ciri and Geralt). However he has never said that he will never ever write anything about Geralt. So there you have Storm Season.

I can't imagine that him writing a book that discards everything that happens in the Games
I can imagine that without any problem. ;D If you would say to him, that you expect him to accept games as a canon, he would find that very insulting. I've read, watched and listened many interviews with him, and I know his mindset. He's extremely proud of his books and writer's job. He's obviously a little arrogant, but very entertaining guy at the same time.

Frankly, if Sapkowski writes new book and it conflicts with the games, then I will consider the book non-canon, eventhough officially "according to Sapkowski" it will be canon.
Books = canon. It's a fact, not Sapkowski's opinion.

I am not going to discard decade long journey I had through three amazing interactive stories that CDP crafted over a new book.
You don't have to discard anything. Absolutely not. Just consider games as fan fiction. Does that make games worse? Of course not. Sapkowski's vision shouldn't affect your love of games. Books and games are different media.

If you were Witcher author, you would probably find disrespectful emotional blackmail like that. He's the creator, his books are canon, he can write whatever he wants about Geralt. I just hope his new book will be good in terms of fantasy literature.

Last edited:
There's some kind of stereotype, that Sapkowski doesn't like or even hate video games. That's probably because of slightly distorted translation of interview released by Eurogamer. Andrzej doesn't hate games (look at his t-shirt on Lucca Festival, it's from TW1). He's just not interested in gaming, that's all. He said few times that he greatly appreciates CDPR's work and profits of TW games were very well earned. He also added that computer games have greatly helped to increase popularity of the franchise, so he absolutely can't complain.

I'm still waiting for all the current novels to be translated to English. I believe Baptism of Fire is the latest one I bought. Not sure if any further ones have been translated yet.

I meant actual retail books being translated to English available in my area. So far, the last book that's available in print in English is Baptism of Fire.

In previous interviews Andrey Sapkowski hinted that Ciri might get a continuation of her story. But that was a long time ago.

I just had the weirdest revelation, what if Sapkowski doesn't even know the story of the games?

He has never played them and was never involved in the story writing, it is more than likely that he just doesn't know and most likely never will.

So if he ever writes a sequel, it will be his work, without influenced by other forces.

I just had the weirdest revelation, what if Sapkowski doesn't even know the story of the games?
He said that he doesn't know the story of the games. True or not he doesn't care, that's for sure.

He has never played them and was never involved in the story writing, it is more than likely that he just doesn't know and most likely never will.
He got TW1 summary from CDPR, but I doubt he remembers anything. Even if he perfectly knows CDPR's stories (from Witcher Wiki etc), I doubt he will ever use their ideas. His pride wouldn't let him.

So if he ever writes a sequel, it will be his work, without influenced by other forces.
True. I highly doubt that he will ever write a sequel. Sidequel more likely. Storm Season was an enormous success in Poland. Supernowa Publishing (Polish publisher) sold an awful lot of paperback copies, so maybe Andrzej will write another spin-off novel set in Witcherland.

He said that he doesn't know the story of the games. True or not he doesn't care, that's for sure.

He got TW1 summary from CDPR, but I doubt he remembers anything. Even if he perfectly knows CDPR's stories (from Witcher Wiki etc), I doubt he will ever use their ideas. His pride wouldn't let him.

True. I highly doubt that he will ever write a sequel. Sidequel more likely. Storm Season was an enormous success in Poland. Supernowa Publishing (Polish publisher) sold an awful lot of paperback copies, so maybe Andrzej will write another spin-off novel set in Witcherland.

Thanks for all that insight, it's not easy to get information about him outside of the polish area.

I think it is also promising that Season of Storms was quickly translated at least in German, i didn't even had to wait much more than a year to read it and i'd love to read more like that until he is ready to tackle a sequel :)

Top Bottom