Andrzej Sapkowski: recommended - read the witcher novel

+
Andrzej Sapkowski: recommended - read the witcher novel

I bought the book by Andrzej Sapkowski - The last wish... which is part of series of novels which the game is based on.

I am really enjoying the book and somehow it adds another dimension to the game for me. Def recommend it.

Cheers,
Sascha

Alright ? Its a know fact that the books are awesome though :D
We are working on translations of the books that don't have an official one, the link is in my sig.You can read Sword of Destiny and a nearly finished Times of Contempt there.

:)

I stumbled across this fact once id started the game - (Pham to clarify: i mean learnt that the game is based on these books not that books are awesome in general ) . I thought Id throw it out there for those who didnt know(perhaps i was just slow off the block)or are not sure whether it is worth it.

At first I was a bit unsure of which book to get as there seemed to be no definite start. Got The Last Wish and seems a good place to start.

so get it if you haven't already!

Pham said:
Alright ? Its a know fact that the books are awesome though :D
We are working on translations of the books that don't have an official one, the link is in my sig.You can read Sword of Destiny and a nearly finished Times of Contempt there.

Times of Contempt link does not work :(

Lead me to the main .pl page of this website...

slasch said:
:)

I stumbled across this fact once id started the game - (Pham to clarify: i mean learnt that the game is based on these books not that books are awesome in general ) . I thought Id throw it out there for those who didnt know(perhaps i was just slow off the block)or are not sure whether it is worth it.

At first I was a bit unsure of which book to get as there seemed to be no definite start. Got The Last Wish and seems a good place to start.

so get it if you haven't already!

I though the fact that the game was based on books was common knowledge. It was said it nearly all videos and articles I read.
The first books (Last Wish, Sword of Destiny) are collections of short stories. Then there is the main saga starting with Blood of Elves. For some reason, the english translators skipped Sword of Destiny and went straight to Blood of Elves after The Last Wish. I think they wanted to bring the more "interesting" books sooner, but its stupid because some characters that appear in Blood of Elves get no introduction there, they are introduced in Sword of Destiny.

slasch said:
Times of Contempt link does not work :(

Lead me to the main .pl page of this website...

Please read the thread fully next time. A different link is posted there.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/fan_translation_of_the_witcher_stories_and_novels/page1

I warmly recommend you to read "The Sword of Destiny" too, which is even better than the Last Wish. If you can read Polish, Spanish, French, German or even Italian, buy it and read it. It's enlightening. Especially if you want to know a lil more about Yen and Geralt :D

secondchildren said:
I warmly recommend you to read "The Sword of Destiny" too, which is even better than the Last Wish. If you can read Polish, Spanish, French, German or even Italian, buy it and read it. It's enlightening. Especially if you want to know a lil more about Yen and Geralt :D

The thing is: I want the Spanish translation but they are only available as imports in the Americas, as far as I know. I got in contact with the editorial houses in Spain (Alamut, Bibliópolis) and they told me some distributor names; I called many booksellers but they don't work with those distributors AND have no idea what The Witcher is.

I have looked online in Amazon.com and Biblio.com and all I get are either highly overpriced imports from dubious sellers (Amazon) or results from stores in France or England (Biblio). There are online Spanish stores that sell each book for around 18 euros, plus international shipping... So, in the end, importing all 7 books would cost no less than 150 euros.

I already read The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves in English, but can't seem to get my hands on the rest. And honestly, I didn't feel the English translation (by Danusia Stok) was that good. In my opinion as a very picky reader the flow of the story, word choices and overall writing pales in comparison with the quality of the story on a conceptual level. In other words, the English translations don't seem to be very eloquently written. Is she even a native speaker of English?

Both books available in English are great, truth be told. Even for those who have no interest in the games, the books can still provide a solid reading experience. I actually read The Last Wish before I got the The Witcher (1), and I thought that CDP's rendition of Sapkowski's characters and the world are well done, though the only thing that CDP exaggerated, in my opinion, is Geralt's lustful disposition. I absolutely did not get the impression in The Last Wish that Geralt was as sexual as he's made out to be in the games.

Aver

Forum veteran
BlaiddGwyn said:
Both books available in English are great, truth be told. Even for those who have no interest in the games, the books can still provide a solid reading experience. I actually read The Last Wish before I got the The Witcher (1), and I thought that CDP's rendition of Sapkowski's characters and the world are well done, though the only thing that CDP exaggerated, in my opinion, is Geralt's lustful disposition. I absolutely did not get the impression in The Last Wish that Geralt was as sexual as he's made out to be in the games.

Well he "did" Shani after he just met her. He slept with Triss even tho he was in some kind relationship with Yennefer. But I agree with you, he wasn't as sexual as he was in the games. Many girls wanted to slept with him, but he wasn't interested (well maybe he WAS interested but Yennefer was near ;) ). In the games you can do same thing - many girls wanna sleep with Geralt but you can turn them down.

pbpoovanna said:
gonna get the english version books in the coming month

Get it..ASAP.. :)

http://www.flipkart.com/books/0316029181?_l=CJHVEqJO3veuHytbACc9dw--&_r=bYHO5RPg_ksnpIQ_8FyIgw--&ref=5012f28a-9939-4ad3-8e4c-cfe216258b28&pid=qtw3fofivd

volsung84 said:
And honestly, I didn't feel the English translation (by Danusia Stok) was that good. In my opinion as a very picky reader the flow of the story, word choices and overall writing pales in comparison with the quality of the story on a conceptual level. In other words, the English translations don't seem to be very eloquently written. Is she even a native speaker of English?

Danusia Stok is a professional translator, also an editor and writer in her own right. I believe she lives in the UK. She doesn't lack for command of English. Her major work is Kieslowski on Kieslowski, which earned her much acclaim for editing and translating. (I think she is married to longtime Kieslowski cameraman Witold Stok; please correct me if that is not so.) She has also translated Krajewski's "Breslau" mysteries, likewise to critical approval.

Maybe the Witcher stories are just not as productive a subject for her. Translation at the level required of a professional working with elevated fiction is far more difficult than original composition, because it demands re-expressing turns of phrase, cultural references, and the like in ways that will convey the same meaning to a reader from an entirely different culture.

Traduttore, traditore. The translator is a traitor, though a necessary and sometimes admirable one.

Hi All im new to this board and i was wondering what the reading order was for this series/saga ? these are what ive gotten so far in English i assuume 4-6 came from here originaly, tell me if anything is missing or out or order thx...

Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 01 - The Last Wish
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 02 - Blood of Elves
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 03 - The Time of Contempt
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 04 - Baptism of Fire
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 05 - The Tower of the Swallow
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher 06 - The Lady of the Lake

cobraa said:
Hi All im new to this board and i was wondering what the reading order was for this series/saga ? these are what ive gotten so far tell me if anything is missing or out or order thx...

Your order is good, but you should add Sword of Destiny between Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

cobraa said:
hi Pham thx will cjeck it out all the books in the fan section are they complete book translations ?

All books are completely translated. Except Last Wish and Blood of Elves, because there are official translations of those 2.

Top Bottom