Animal Symbolism

+
Animal Symbolism

Hi folks.
I'm doing some research about the real & mythological creature (animal) symbolism. any opinion would be greatly appreciated. two questions:
1- what is the swiftest and most versatile creature in your opinion ?
2- what creature in your opinion symbolizes wisdom ? (not cunning)

if you like, you could mention aerial, grounded and sea living creatures explicitly. by the way, if you happen to know any reference book regarding symbolism, please mention their title.
thanks in advance.

Ok I'm assuming you don't mean man to count.

1. Octopus : these things are smarter than they look, with a proven adaptive skillset.

2. Phoenix : Wisdom may not be the obvious symbolism of the Phoenix, but since wisdom is born from realisation of ignorence it suits. Plus much of human endeavor requires the destruction of the old before the new can take off, and then theres the whole light & illumination motif...

Most versatile, and fast enough: dogs. Domestic dogs have an exceptionally malleable genome and an extraordinary instinct to please that make them easy to breed and train for many purposes. Even if other animals are faster, their ability to cooperate makes them more effective at any task requiring athleticism.

Owls are symbolic of wisdom, thanks to their association with Athena and their "absent-minded professor" look, even if they're not actually the brightest hammers in the bag.

Swift and versatile: I'd agree with Guy and name Dogs, like the Greyhound and Lurcher. Though obviously these also represent loyalty and intelligence. U suppose you could also use they Wolf as swift and vesatile, born survivor that he is.

Wisdom: Ravens, not only are they canny buggers in real life but two of them sit on Odin Allfathers shoulders and whipser secrets to him, their names are Hugin and Munin meaning thought and memory. Odin fears the loss of one and dreads the loss of the others.

This symbolism is specific in different traditions really (and can vary). So what exactly are you researching?

True. there're some stuff across the web regarding different cultures. I'm just asking about your personal opinion.
thanks mate.

If I change my answer that way, I'll give you different dogs.

African wild dogs are very fast over chases of many kilometers (there are faster cats, but big cats lack "versatility" and stamina) and have remarkable success rate as hunters.

Coyotes are as fast and adaptable beyond our ability to anticipate what they will do; they are the only large predator that thrives in the presence of humans. It's not for nothing that Native Americans call Coyote the trickster.

"The coyote is a long, slim, sick and sorry-looking skeleton, with a gray wolfskin stretched over it.... a living, breathing allegory of Want."
Mark Twain: The Coyote

"Out at the edge of town
Where airfield runs water down
Coyote crosses old tracks
And hops on the Light-Rail Max"
[Sleater-Kinney, "Light-Rail Coyote"]

Last edited:
1. Rats - May not be beautiful or desirable, but they are still some of the most adaptable mammals on our planet. They go wherever we humans go - and thrive. Not to mention how hard it is to catch the little bastards without using rat poison, or traps - trust me on that.

2. Lion - I've seen Lion King as a kid and the image of Mufasa, with that deep, wise James Earl Jones voice, resonated with me profoundly. Maybe that's why I imagine lions to be a symbol of wisdom as well, besides the usual nobility, courage and such.

What exactly is meant by “versatile” here where animals are concerned?

Owls are symbolic of wisdom, thanks to their association with Athena and their "absent-minded professor" look, even if they're not actually the brightest hammers in the bag.
You associate THESE THINGS with wisdom :p ?

Oh, I see. Haha, I guess that’s cockroaches then, right? Relative to their body size they can also run pretty darn fast!

What exactly is meant by “versatile” here where animals are concerned?

You associate THESE THINGS with wisdom :p ?

The "wise owl" is a well-established tradition in a number of European (and Europe-descended, such as US) cultures, as it has been in my family, so there is no use in ridicule. It is largely from the bird's association with Athena, not from any better foundation. Truth be told, though, owls are birdbrains, and the GIF is hilarious.

I take "versatile" to mean "adaptable"; and since I gave examples, there should be no confusion as to what I meant.

Last edited:
... or Disneys' Archimedes :p

Oh I dunno, they are an established meme here too & hard to shake, though I wonder if the fact that quiet people often seem wise has something to do with it. Opening your mouth is a sure way to display your ignorance !

I guess it makes Igners' line here all the more astute:

[video=youtube;aU6houH0j-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU6houH0j-s[/video]

#1 would be jaguar or coyote. Probably coyote based on it's incredibly diverse range, those things can thrive just about anywhere. The Jaguar is arguably the most successful hunter in the cat kingdom, it has an insanely high success rate and can kill just about anything in it's habitat. There are some crazy vids on youtube of jags leaping into deep water to kill caiman as big as themselves.

#2 Owl. They just have that look.

#1 would be jaguar or coyote. Probably coyote based on it's incredibly diverse range, those things can thrive just about anywhere. The Jaguar is arguably the most successful hunter in the cat kingdom, it has an insanely high success rate and can kill just about anything in it's habitat. There are some crazy vids on youtube of jags leaping into deep water to kill caiman as big as themselves.

#2 Owl. They just have that look.

Jaguar's a good choice; I would have voted for cougar instead, since they have been more successful at adapting to human encroachment.

This kind:

Not this kind:
Get your mind out of the gutter

Other good examples might be:
African Wildcats, whose descendants include all the domestic cats.

Black Bears
Bears Make the Best Walk-and-Text Deterrents
Bear Caught Stealing Dumpster

Last edited:
May I add the Horse? An example of strength, honesty, nobility, elegance, perseverance, loyalty (when it is not raised as a work animal but a pet.) ....
A list of them in mythology:
Horses in mythology

Aragorn, Brynhilda's winged horse in Norse mythology.
Arion, an immortal, extremely swift horse
Arvak and Alsvid pulled Sól's chariot
Balius and Xanthos, Achilles' horses
Dora, a war horse of Đurađ Senković
Dyaus Pita, the Sky Father, who appears as a horse
Embarr, Niamh's horse
Epona, Gaulish horse goddess
Glær, a horse listed in both the Grímnismál and Gylfaginning
Grey of Macha, or Macha's Grey, CúChulainn's chariot horse; known as the king of all horses
Gringolet, Sir Gawain's horse
Gulltoppr, the horse of Heimdallr in Norse myths
Hengroen, King Arthur's horse
Hippocampus, a mythical seahorse that pulled Poseidon's chariot
Hrimfaxi, Nótt's horse in Norse myths
Hofvarpnir, horse of the goddess Gná in Norse myths
Jabučilo, horse of Momčilo
Kelpie, a mythical Celtic water horse (Ciriuosly! View attachment 1793] )
Liath Macha and Dub Sainglend, Cúchulainn's horses
Llamrei, King Arthur's mare
The Mares of Diomedes, which fed on human flesh
Pegasus, a winged horse sired by Poseidon and foaled by Medusa
Rhaebus, the horse of Mezentius in Roman myths
Šarac, horse of Prince Marko
Silili, a Babylonian king of horses
Skinfaxi, Dagur's horse in Norse myths
Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse in Norse myths
Svadilfari, the giant stallion that fathered Sleipnir
Tikbalang, the demon horse in Philippine folklore
The Trojan Horse
Uchchaihshravas, Indra's horse in Hindu mythology
Widow-Maker/Lightning, mythical cowboy Pecos Bill's horse
Zelenko, horse of Damjan Jugović
Ždralin, horse of Miloš Obilić

And from them the most magical and wisest of all: The Unicorn

Attachments

• uo3.gif
    uo3.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The "wise owl" is a well-established tradition in a number of European (and Europe-descended, such as US) cultures, as it has been in my family, so there is no use in ridicule. It is largely from the bird's association with Athena, not from any better foundation.
I was aware of that, I just meant to poke fun at that notion given how creepy these birds are ;>

And that’s not just the exception (cf. this video).

Barn owls. There used to be a pair that nested in our neighbors' palm tree. Spooky when they flew in just enough light to see them.

Starr Ranch Owl Cam For all you voyeurs, this is mating season, and she's been entertaining gentleman callers regularly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom