Animals

+
Animals

What do you think, should there be animals in Cyberpunk 2077?

And if there are animals, what animals should it be? Cat, dog, bird....or robot or cyber animals?

Should the player be able to interact with the animals?

goopit

Forum veteran
They should just be pets of eccentric people for me.

Rigging animals and animating them is a pain.

but they should still be included for immersion. Wouldn't want it to be like pre EE W2 where there were only birds around.

I would say normal house pets.

I mean they have them in the PnP game, why not the actual game?

Yeah as stated Animal should be something "Exotic" for rich people. If I remember it was so also in CP2020.

No can do, but you may have ill tempered mutated sea bass.

But seriously...Animals should be there. Even if it's only the rats gnarling at your feet while you try to sleep in your little cardboard box.
If only rich people can afford pets, then have only rich people afford pets (except for me, I have my little pet rat Johnny, who lives in my chest pocket), but not all animals are pets...have some strays and vermin and wild animals. Having wild animals in town is not unrealistic, I once have seen as many as six foxes in one single street near town-center of Portsmouth/UK....

Vehicles are far more important to me than animals...

Animals in games, especially rats, just always seem like cheap low level xp grind, I really hate that... so if they are put in, they should be relatively harmless, maybe a guard dog, or a pack of feral dogs in the combat zone... but cats and rats should not be attacking you.

However if they are going to put animals in, beyond more than just harmless street animals and pets. Then it kind of necessitates a wide expanse outside of the city where they can be hunted. And I am all for a wasteland environment outside the city. RDR really got animals right, at least better than any other game I have played.

So I guess I can take or leave animals, provided they are implemented well.

I was more thinking of animals as backdrop, not cheap xp grinders. If you want to waste your bullets and let the entire Zone know where you are just to kill off that pack of rats that don't even give xp, have fun...

Yeah, just to help give some flavor to the setting, with stray animals in alleyways, birds hanging out on window ledges and such. Maybe rich corporate types can have special breeds of cats or dogs in their penthouses.

Cyberpets or GM pets - yes

Stray animals in the streets - it depends. It's important in the Witcher series to add life to the landscape, but I'd only like to see them in CP if it's either important somehow, or uses almost no processing power. There are technical limits to how much can be in the streets, and I'd prefer emphasis on other things like variation in NPC appearance and more vehicles.

Animals for hunting - probably not, and definitely not for grinding.

(But if we DO get random urban animals, I want cockroaches)

Cyberpets or GM pets - yes

Stray animals in the streets - it depends. It's important in the Witcher series to add life to the landscape, but I'd only like to see them in CP if it's either important somehow, or uses almost no processing power. There are technical limits to how much can be in the streets, and I'd prefer emphasis on other things like variation in NPC appearance and more vehicles.

Animals for hunting - probably not, and definitely not for grinding.

(But if we DO get random urban animals, I want cockroaches)

This is about how I feel about it, especially the next to zero resources bit...

I don't see how a few rats, birds and starving alley cats would take much in processing power.

They require unique graphics, they require behavior modeling, movement animations and presumably dying animations as well. Plus spawn physics...

The critters may be small, but for them to have any sense of purpose in the game then that requires resources. Dogs and cats have to move like dogs and cats...

(Google Translator)

If all rave about the detailed character models. They should want a detailed model of the world. The devil is in the details. Animals must be at least as part of the background. The game should be fun. The assumption that something in the game must have purpose, it's the easiest way to make a boring game.

Details have no other purpose but to enrich the picture.

It will be a U.S. city, so there should be typical animals living in the U.S. cities.
Birds, rats, raccoons, opossums, foxes and the like. On the outskirts of the city (I hope that it will be a sort of suburban areas) may be even a bigger animals ...

Urban wildlife:
Wiki
Google

(Google Translator)

If all rave about the detailed character models. They should want a detailed model of the world. The devil is in the details. Animals must be at least as part of the background. The game should be fun. The assumption that something in the game must have purpose, it's the easiest way to make a boring game.

Details have no other purpose but to enrich the picture.

It will be a U.S. city, so there should be typical animals living in the U.S. cities.
Birds, rats, raccoons, opossums, foxes and the like. On the outskirts of the city (I hope that it will be a sort of suburban areas) may be even a bigger animals ...

Urban wildlife:
Wiki
Google

Don't leave out coyotes. They're now top predators in urban and suburban places. It's rare to encounter anything larger (black bears and cougars) in suburbs, but coyotes are everywhere. They have adapted incredibly well to urban life.

Also, lowlifes characteristically keep vicious dogs, and you should expect to encounter them in blighted places. Dogs of this sort would not be expensive high-class pets, as they are cheap to breed and train.

And let's let CDPR worry about budgeting the processing power. We don't have to make guesses about what they can and can't do, or let what we think are engine constraints limit our imagination or theirs.

Sken

Forum veteran
Robotic dogs, send them in to gang/danger zones to scope out the area, equipped with recording devices to expose corrupt politicians. Equip them with flash bangs or other forms of ammunition to cripple gang members before you stroll in.

Robotic ravens. Send messages/orders to other resistance fighters or supporters of your cause, reduces the risk of an internet or phone messages being intercepted or recorded. Maybe self destructing ravens once message has been delivered or if raven is captured.

They require unique graphics, they require behavior modeling, movement animations and presumably dying animations as well. Plus spawn physics...

The critters may be small, but for them to have any sense of purpose in the game then that requires resources. Dogs and cats have to move like dogs and cats...

This. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, a polygon requires an equal amount of processing regardless of its size, which basically means that if they have the same polygon count, a giant and a small rat would take an equal amount of processing to render. Now, if anyone got that ultra confusing sentence right lol.

I still want a cyborg horse named Roache as an easter egg :D
and that shark one is cool too!

And I would find it hard to believe for cats, dogs and especially rats not to be present in the future

Top Bottom