Animations

+
I dont see why a drinking animation like the one in dark souls would harm gameplay, also I for one loved the meditating animation in TW2, I was quite disappointed to see it wasn't there for the xbox 360 version

One last joke on animation:

'Hmm. This potion looks a little strange. I just can't see myself drinking something like this.'

Geralt looks like Konrad in this shot :)

So there's still no drinking animation, but we can see the effects of the potions he drinks? That's rather a confusing paradox of details. Geralt, upon looking in a mirror: 'Hmm. How'd this happen? I don't remember drinking anything.'

didn't the dev say before that you have to drink a potion,but to use the effect,you have to "release" it?

I've seen that repeated several times recently, but I haven't located where they actually explained the mechanic yet.
There's this, http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/02/16/the-witcher-3-potions-system-detailed
The potions will work in a different way than in The Witcher 2. So now you will prepare them, you will drink them before a fight, but you can release the effect of those whenever you want. So it’s not like you’ve drunk the potion and you have 30 seconds of boost and then it wears off. You can start the fight in the moment it suits you, and if the fight proves hard, you can just release the effect through your metabolism. But if the fight is easy, you can preserve that and use it in the next fight
Keep in mind that this is over a year old so maybe the reasoning changed. But I don't recall reading something that contradicts this. And at any rate the gameplay mechanics are still in line, with you activating the effects when you choose.

And if we wanna be nitpicky then when Geralt ate the bread there was no eating animation, so there's nothing to suggest gameplay wise that when he activates the potions he isn't "drinking" them, story-wise, either, because the lack of animations is consistent.

I still want a short drinking animation during meditation. With Geralt then littering like in TW2.

There's this, http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/02/16/the-witcher-3-potions-system-detailed

Keep in mind that this is over a year old so maybe the reasoning changed. But I don't recall reading something that contradicts this. And at any rate the gameplay mechanics are still in line, with you activating the effects when you choose.

And if we wanna be nitpicky then when Geralt ate the bread there was no eating animation, so there's nothing to suggest gameplay wise that when he activates the potions he isn't "drinking" them, story-wise, either, because the lack of animations is consistent.

I still want a short drinking animation during meditation. With Geralt then littering like in TW2.

maybe he ate the bread before and released it :p
like a sheep or a cow...he eats and then later,ruminate x)

Geralt's dodge animation changed in latest videos?

Watching 35 min gameplay, you know, where Geralt is looking for Johnny in downwarren, Geralt's fast-paced backwards dodge movement(clearly seen in combat with drowners and water hag, he maintains direction of his foot) looked so awesome to me. But in more recent videos(I love them as well), it seems to have changed somehow to a bit slower(?) dodge. I mean not just speed, but the direction of his foot and upper body moves around bit more. Is this intended or just because as Geralt levels up, one of the acquired skill lets you do "improved dodge" or something? Or maybe I'm just totally wrong.

Watching 35 min gameplay, you know, where Geralt is looking for Johnny in downwarren, Geralt's fast-paced backwards dodge movement(clearly seen in combat with drowners and water hag, he maintains direction of his foot) looked so awesome to me. But in more recent videos(I love them as well), it seems to have changed somehow to a bit slower(?) dodge. I mean not just speed, but the direction of his foot and upper body moves around bit more. Is this intended or just because as Geralt levels up, one of the acquired skill lets you do "improved dodge" or something? Or maybe I'm just totally wrong.

I think it's the first one. Geralt in 35 minutes is on level 35, in the new footage is about on level 1.

I prefer the newer one. The old one is an awkward looking shuffle where he takes two steps back. The new one is a small hop backward that looks more natural. I don't think its just a matter of leveling up just because hes doing it in all the newer footage at level 1 and also the high level stuff from IGN/Gamespot.

Last edited:
If it is a level skill, I won't mind ;)
Both look cool, but I do prefer the new one just because it's more real looking.

For what I see they simply removed variety in dodging animations. Geralt is level 30 in the PAX video with the wyvern, and he only has like 2 dodge animations, in the 35 min demo there were at least 4 minimum.

I really liked those, too bad.

We know that as Geralt levels up his animations and things change, a high level Geralt doesn't look like a level 1 Geralt.

Hopefuly as you get higher level it looks more awesome and has more variety.

what i dont like about the dodge is that becouse of player controls or wrong positioning the character ends up giving his back to the enemy wich in my opinion shoud not be the case. what i mean is that geralt does not dodge and faces the objective he dodges and looks the oposite way wich not only provides an easy backstab gameplaywise but also is against the way witchers fight in the lore and it is breaking a basic rule of fencing... always have your oponent in sight dont underestimate him/her/it. it felt and seemed a bit clumsy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom