Animations

+
Dude the running is awesome!!! Now it really gives the feeling that you're sprinting and not just jogging, I think that's a great improvement, but I agree it would be nice if you could run in almost inhuman speed for a small window of time. I wonder if you can flee from any enemy just by running away, or if some actually catch up to you.
Yeah the animations are good, but there should be more variations of running. Geralt does not slow down when he is climbing steep hills, so there should be another set of animations for running up a hill. And as I said before a smoother transition between different speeds like walking and sprinting would really add to the realism.
REDs say that you can, but an interviewer who had hands on experience with the January build said that it is difficult to do so. It was a video interview, so don't ask me for a source. Trust your fellow WIitcher :)

I'm sorry, and I mean no serious disrespect to those who enjoy graphic analysis, but, regarding the theme of this thread: HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

I agree about the fluidity of some of the previous animations. Geralt used to look at stuff as he walked past, his battle stance was dynamic and he had transition animations between walk and run and sprint.

2 Games that did it perfect, GTA 5 & RDR.
I Love being able to transition from walking as a base speed of movement, with left toggle up.
Then hold down A or X to jog, depending on what gamepad/platfom you're rockin, and then repeatedly tap A or X to sprint.
I really wish CDPR would do it more realistic like this, but I'm afraid they won't. Ugh... damn it!
That, and not being able to freely sit down anywhere in the game. :(
Oh well, now I'm a Drama Llama lol....
Okay, I admit RDR was a little stiff here & there, but it's still better man ;)

Last edited:
2 Games that did it perfect, GTA 5 & RDR.
I Love being able to transition from walking as a base speed of movement, with left toggle up.
Then hold down A or X to jog, depending on what gamepad/platfom you're rockin, and then repeatedly tap A or X to sprint.
I really wish CDPR would do it more realistic like this, but I'm afraid they won't. Ugh... damn it! That, and not being able to sit :(
Oh well, now I'm a Drama Llama lol....
Okay, I admit RDR was a little stiff here & there, but it's still better ;)

I'm with you on the sitting thing, I feel little interactions like that could add to the game. Have you seen that one MMO, Black desert? You can basically just kick back and sit down or lean on something anytime

I totally disagree with the animations being worse now.

The running and even walking looked awkward in the older videos. I mean, just look how he ran down or up a hill in the presentations last year and look how he does it now. It's like a night/day difference. Even the moving with the sword out is better, you can check it out in the Nvidia shield video as he's going down the slope before he fights the wolves and see how good it looks.

About the transitions i don't know yet, i don't have a clear idea about how it will all work. Maybe they have done it this way so the controls feel more responsive? Like, you can control your characters direction without feeling like mass effect? :D

I'm with you on the sitting thing, I feel little interactions like that could add to the game. Have you seen that one MMO, Black desert? You can basically just kick back and sit down or lean on something anytime
Nope, never saw it but that sounds way cool ;)

---------- Updated at 02:46 PM ----------

I totally disagree with the animations being worse now.

The running and even walking looked awkward in the older videos. I mean, just look how he ran down or up a hill in the presentations last year and look how he does it now. It's like a night/day difference. Even the moving with the sword out is better, you can check it out in the Nvidia shield video as he's going down the slope before he fights the wolves and see how good it looks.

About the transitions i don't know yet, i don't have a clear idea about how it will all work. Maybe they have done it this way so the controls feel more responsive? Like, you can control your characters direction without feeling like mass effect? :D
I agree too, I think it's all going to be alright in the end.
After all.. lets not forget that CDPR Team are also Gamers AND Devs and I'm sure they are doing all that they can to ensure this game looks & plays cool, on many different levels.
I still think this game is going to be top notch fun no matter what guys, I think they'll nail it ;)

Last edited:
To me walking and running animations are polished enough. What should absolutely be enhanced and improved is the feedback of both receiving and dealing damage.
I have already mentioned the fatal blow on a grounded echidna, who doesn't move at all when pierced by Gerald's attack, while the beast should convulse in pain.
The feeling of the slashes weight and danger is what lacks right now.

Last edited:
No it wasn't just that one little snippet. The same walking animation was in the VGX trailer, gameplay debut trailer, and early tech demos. There is no doubt it has been changed. It was different since e3 2014.

All the subtleties, from him walking with a bit of weight in his step, the movement of his shoulders, to his sword flaring out a bit, it is all gone.

All the animations were better back then. They looked so fluid. They even boasted about how "cinematic" they were. Now they aren't and its as simple as that. But it is a small gripe in contrast to the whole game, which looks great. Just wish they didn't change the animations. ANimatons kick the crap out of pure graphics for me in importance

One important thing that is missing is Geralt's slight limp caused by a crushed leg.
If you paid attention the limp was visible when he was running in Witcher 1&2, but it's missing in Witcher 3.
It may seem like a small thing, but it gives him so much character.

Last edited:
One important thing that is missing is Geralt's slight limp caused by a crushed leg.
If you paid attention the limp was visible when he was running in Witcher 1&2, but it's missing in Witcher 3.

In both games? I never noticed it in one, but the second I saw his walk in two I brought it up. Never got any confirmation so I figured it wasn't a deliberate thing.

OT: All the animations seem great to me, especially his manly stride. Only exception being a certain stiffness in his sprint.

In both games? I never noticed it in one, but the second I saw his walk in two I brought it up. Never got any confirmation so I figured it wasn't a deliberate thing.
I noticed it when Geralt ran with his sword drawn in WItcher 1. You could even see that his left foot was slightly tilted inwards in Witcher 2, when the camera panned out during combat. The limp was much more visible in Witcher 2. I think it was deliberate.
I hope it makes a return in Witcher 3, but I doubt it.

It may seem like a small thing, but it gives him so much character.

Fringilla Vigo fixed that for him when he was in Toussaint. Also, it wasn't a limp. It was a trick knee.

Last edited:
Fringilla Vigo fixed that for him when he was in Toussaint. Also, it wasn't a limp. It was a trick knee.
Trick knee or Luxating patella causes limp or lameness. This condition is a knee limited in its range of movement by a loose joint body or a meniscus tear (usually medial tear or patellofemoral derangement).
Fringilla healed him, but the slight limp might persist at least in the games it does.
Witcher Wiki says that "In Witcher Geralt walks irregularily with his right leg. This is because it was shattered."
Source: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Geralt_of_Rivia

Edit: Something is wrong on these forums. Geral(t) is automatically turns into zając, and the links do not work.
Edit 2: April fools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom