Animations

+
Because game have already try to restiute full movement in games and it has been a problem gameplay speaking^^ Fail to estimate distance and such. It is good as it is now I think.

I'm fine with it. Can you imagine Geralt jumping like this?

Attachments

• ezgif-2187392309.gif
    ezgif-2187392309.gif
    130.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
So there's still no drinking animation, but we can see the effects of the potions he drinks? That's rather a confusing paradox of details.

Less of a paradox when you consider that drinking animations can get repetitive and slow down preparation, which some players find annoying from a gameplay standpoint, while this visual effect on Geralt's face changes nothing in terms of gameplay.

Would be nice to have drinking animations, at least while meditating, that you can toggle on/off, though.

Less of a paradox when you consider that drinking animations can get repetitive and slow down preparation, which some players find annoying from a gameplay standpoint, while this visual effect on Geralt's face changes nothing in terms of gameplay.

Would be nice to have drinking animations, at least while meditating, that you can toggle on/off, though.

Purely from a gameplay standpoint, you're quite right, but from a 'realism' standpoint, it's still an odd paradox.

Purely from a gameplay standpoint, you're quite right, but from a 'realism' standpoint, it's still an odd paradox.

True, I was just offering an explanation as to why this is in, while, as far as we know, drinking animations are not :p

Anyway, screenie's looking great. Time to rewatch that 52 and a half video now...

Stop with this realism argument - it's still a game, which players should enjoy. Or you want to see Geralt changing his pants and cloth each time you change his eq.

I'm not making an argument for realism. I was merely commenting on a curious graphic choice. I'm tired of lengthy arguments over details!

Stop with this realism argument - it's still a game, which players should enjoy. Or you want to see Geralt changing his pants and cloth each time you change his eq.

a two second drinking animation and changing your clothes are not really the same thing. by the same logic why does he sit down when he meditates, why doesn't it just go straight to a menu screen? (or maybe it does now, who knows..)

on topic: I love that effect on his face. it's the little things that matter. (like potion drinking animations, hurr-durr)

Yes for drinking animations. The only reason I disliked them in TW2 was because they had two stages - the first and good was the drinking, the second and annoying was him inhaling deeply, or wiping his brow, or something. Do away with the second stage and it's much less noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
One last joke on animation:

'Hmm. This potion looks a little strange. I just can't see myself drinking something like this.'

Attachments

• Alchemy.jpg
    Alchemy.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 48
Less of a paradox when you consider that drinking animations can get repetitive and slow down preparation

I think most people only really had an issue with it in 2 where it was overly long.
If they just did it like 1 where it took less than two seconds or made something like in some of the the Souls games where you can use them while moving I'm not really seeing the issue. Especially now that they're already half way there in terms of the detail.

What if the drinking animation wouldn't stop Geralt from moving? For example while targeting an enemy from a distance, the animation could be played while Geralt's still walking slowly, that way it wouldn't break the flow of the combat that much.

Some think similar to this bomb throwing animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU&t=1m53s
I think that the idea is still that one we discussed a year ago, about Geralt drinking during the meditation and activating the effects when he chooses. The whole controlled metabolism debate. So he wouldn't be drinking in battle anyway.

The toxicity visual effect also has me thinking that - if it's tied to when the effects are activated than it lasts only for a minute, give or take. I feel CDPR would want such an effect to be noticeable => happen when you meditate and prepare potions => preparing them means drinking them.

Just guessing though. We haven't heard anything about that controlled metabolism thing for a long time.

What if the drinking animation wouldn't stop Geralt from moving? For example while targeting an enemy from a distance, the animation could be played while Geralt's still walking slowly, that way it wouldn't break the flow of the combat that much.

Something similar to this bomb throwing animation:

Was there any confirmation that the drinking animations won't be present in the game ?

If I undersand correctly what i read on the previews you drink potions during meditation and activate there effect whenever you want, it's normal that we don't see drinking animation in combat because the potion has already been drank.

I think that the idea is still that one we discussed a year ago, about Geralt drinking during the meditation and activating the effects when he chooses. The whole controlled metabolism debate. So he wouldn't be drinking in battle anyway.

oh yeah, I totally forgot about that!

Something similar to this bomb throwing animation:
like a quick shot, and then chucks it on the ground real fast? Maybe ;)

---------- Updated at 07:57 PM ----------

oh yeah, I totally forgot about that!
True ;)

Top Bottom