Announcing Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

+
You've been arguing that V's story should always end in failure simply because failure is a theme.
It's not that the story "should/must" :)
But in Night City (in Mike Pondsmith Cyberpunk) generally (i.e almost always^^), stories end in failures, broken dreams, lost hopes or main characters death.
Those four examples are the rare exceptions and were only possible thanks to V. Above all, V's issue is far more complicated than the problems of these 4 characters, so much complicated that no one is able to help V.

Just my opinion, but I won't bet any coin for another kind of ending in the expansion, if the expansion add one indeed :)

It's not that the story "should/must" :)
But in Night City (in Mike Pondsmith Cyberpunk) generally (i.e almost always^^), stories end in failures, broken dreams, lost hopes or main characters death.
Those four examples are the rare exceptions and were only possible thanks to V. Above all, V's issue is far more complicated than the problems of these 4 characters, so much complicated that no one is able to help V.

Just my opinion, but I won't bet any coin for another kind of ending in the expansion, if the expansion add one indeed :)

I mean, in Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk, eventually Night City became a transhumanist utopia. There's also a lot more noble and heroic characters doing good deeds for good deeds sake.

Indeed, Cyberpunk 2077 retconned Yorinobu and Hanako into being assholes versus good people against their father.

I am not really sure if i will buy it.
I really like the game, bought it twice already foe XBOX at release and later for PC again but the Ending ist really what kills the mood for me. Ih this will be set to happen in mid game it will be a huge bummer for me.
Also why should i do more meaningless stuff while i am dying? First priority should be finding a cure, so it whould be even more irrational as it was in the game already.

I am not really sure if i will buy it.
I really like the game, bought it twice already foe XBOX at release and later for PC again but the Ending ist really what kills the mood for me. Ih this will be set to happen in mid game it will be a huge bummer for me.
Also why should i do more meaningless stuff while i am dying? First priority should be finding a cure, so it whould be even more irrational as it was in the game already.

Unless the President essentially says, "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." It may be that she offers to help you with the Relic in exchange for your services. Ya never know...

20220909_113733.jpg
I'm looking forward to, but I want to say one thing! Please keep working on the game. We, the fans, really want and look forward to this addition as well as others in the future. I'm sure if Phantom Liberty is interesting and rich, it will be a second wind for Cyberpunk 2077 and a new wave for players. We're against Phantom Liberty being the first and only story expansion! We want more) 💛

I'm looking forward to, but I want to say one thing! Please keep working on the game. We, the fans, really want and look forward to this addition as well as others in the future. I'm sure if Phantom Liberty is interesting and rich, it will be a second wind for Cyberpunk 2077 and a new wave for players. We're against Phantom Liberty being the first and only story expansion! We want more)
Even though I also want more story content for CP77, I rather believe that it is truly only one expansion planned (been said several times, as on your screenshot). It is also been said they are moving to UE5 and new working model, two games at a time, so I am thinking that they will rather work on some CP related projects or sequel using UE5 than on more content for CP77 on Red Engine

It’s a perfectly valid criticism though. Although implied denouement can work, it really depends on the story in question and what its needs are e.g. it works really well for David Fincher‘s Zodiac. Whereas if LOTR ended with the audience never knowing if the Ring was destroyed, that kind of ending probably wouldn’t have worked. Just depends on the story. Personally I don’t like how the main conflict of CP77 is left unresolved and essentially ongoing, so I hope this ties things up.
Dude LOTR did end without the ring being destroyed. It wasn't destroyed in the 1st film. This is,similarly, the 1st game of the IP.
The ending is fine as is, I don't think they even need to revisit V. His fate can left as a legend throughout Night City with everyone speculating about his final days. I don't need everything explained.

Dude LOTR did end without the ring being destroyed. It wasn't destroyed in the 1st film. This is,similarly, the 1st game of the IP.
The ending is fine as is, I don't think they even need to revisit V. His fate can left as a legend throughout Night City with everyone speculating about his final days. I don't need everything explained.

Eh... You're talking about The Fellowship of the Ring, which is just a third of the LOTR. The Lord of the Rings was written as ONE volume that the publisher split into 3 out of pragmatism.

The LotR comparison may be a bit off (-- Tolkein wrote the story as one book, and was annoyed when publishers forced him to divide it into three. It's a complete story with a definitive ending and appendices that basically shows you the fate of almost every single character of note.)

But! I think they did the ending of CP2077 the way they did was precisely for the reason you state. We now have a legend that can be explored in the future. A character that, in let's say 2097, everyone has heard of, but almost no one knows "what really happened." I wouldn't even be surprised if we even run across "V" in future installments.

But! I think they did the ending of CP2077 the way they did was precisely for the reason you state. We now have a legend that can be explored in the future. A character that, in let's say 2097, everyone has heard of, but almost no one knows "what really happened." I wouldn't even be surprised if we even run across "V" in future installments.
In a Morgan Blackhand way. A Night City legend whose no one really know if he's alive, if he's dead where he is if he's alive... A legend with its share of mystery :giggle:

Exactly, in tune with how Pondsmith built the lore of the world and presented it in his books/TTGs. There were factual situations and deeds done by characters that were told as undisputable facts; there were info told by the press or other players with their agendas, where for example (in 2077) we know News54 is bought by Militech and WNS is owned by Arasaka so we have to filter what the anchors say with that in mind; there are also legends, rumors that are rumors within the cyberpunk world and I agree with the posts above that compare this to most endings (I haven't seen all but a bunch) - as having this legendary type of writing and it helps me to give that status to V.

Wasted my time completing Elden Ring... It was boring.

I don't like that previous Gen consoles won't be included but maybe it's for the best.

If CDPR had waited to release on NextGen only they could have avoided that mess at release.

Prefab Missing.jpg

I'm glad to hear DLC is on its way for Cyberpunk.

I hope for Melisa Rory to be on the DLC, that would be nice.

I finally started to take Cyberpunk 2077 seriously about a week ago and I must say, bravo CD Projekt Red, bra-fuckin'-vo. Can't wait to see what else you give us in the near future!

Top Bottom