Announcing Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

+
I mean that's a stupid statement given it was announced for the last generation at the start of last generation. Also, when there was a massive shortage of next generation consoles to begin with. So much so that I paid a significant sum to be able to upgrade to PS4 Pro.
Game was announced in 2012. Expansion will be realeased hopefully in 2023. Cyberpunk is not only game you can play on your PS4 Pro.

They made a bad decision releasing CP2077 on the last Gen consoles to begin with it should have been a PC/Next Gen Exclusive but they got greedy and didn’t want to alienate there Last Gen Fans because it’s a significant amount of money that they would be losing out on so their greed got the better of them.I mean come on there’s the CP2077 Xbox One X purchase that guaranteed a free download of the first Expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 it’s printed on the box as a part of its sales pitch that was agreed on by CDPR and XBox I wonder how many sold with the expectations of people getting that download.

I smell lawsuits are coming and it serves CDPR right they bungled this Game and now they are gonna pay for it.

I mean that's a stupid statement given it was announced for the last generation at the start of last generation. Also, when there was a massive shortage of next generation consoles to begin with. So much so that I paid a significant sum to be able to upgrade to PS4 Pro.

There are obvious downsides to "Release when its ready" stance.
Or rather, being delayed so much you almost skip a console generation.

That said, I dont believe the game was ready when it released. Two obvious reasons to how things went so far downhill: making the lastgen console statement, and red engine. Hopefully CDPR will focus on Unreal5 from now on, and will stop making statements like that.

During investors chat I asked if they are still aiming for Q1 of 2023 or can we expect some delays and interestingly they answered that release is planned for 2023. It was very safe response but looking on how they got rid of any Q1 which was mentioned earier I wont be suprised if we wont see it until somewhere middle of 2023.

That could be related to a fact they made a decision to release one bigger expansion last year so maybe development will be stretched a bit if they want to put more content than they originally planned.

Okay, we're not going to have this thread hijacked by more of talk of lies and speculation about finances. The thread is for the upcoming expansion. Further off-topic dialogue will be deleted. We have plenty of threads for that sort of discussion. Take it there, please.

Back to the expansion.

Here's my thoughts so far:

+ I'm disappointed this is just more of Night City. I was one of the people who was really hoping to get to do some stuff in space.

+ It absolutely is during the main story since we have Johnny, so no new endings or ending material.

+ I'm glad we're getting some more Presidential stuff.

+ I hope Morgan Blackhand is going to be in this section but I doubt it.

+ I don't think this will be a particularly large expansion and I expect something more Heart of Stone than Blood and Wine, which was really The Witcher 3.5.

+ Saving the President is a nice homage to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

+ Johnny actually may get some decent character development due to being an ex-Marine. V's thoughts on whether Night City is better under the control of Arasaka or America (Militech?) is an interesting question. It may be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

+ I am curious at the release time but I'm okay with upgrading by 2023.

+ I do hope we'll get a lot of Militech expansionism.

+ Sadly, I feel like the lack of any expansion on V means that the inevitable Cyberpunk 2080 game will not have them as the protagonist. Which is all I want.

Last edited:
+ Sadly, I feel like the lack of any expansion on V means that the inevitable Cyberpunk 2080 game will not have them as the protagonist. Which is all I want.

Me too, me too.

I'm almost sure I will buy it, but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy it a lot. Don't get me wrong, looks amazing.

It's just probably not what I expected. Even knowing post-story content it was going to be very very improbable.

I'm a bit sad. I'm seeing the Cyberpunk 2077 end. Still, it's a fantastic game. Outstanding narrative.

I think the confirmation that this is going to be the only expansion was the last straw for me. Unless what happens in the expansion somehow has an impact on the endings, which I doubt, this means that V is stuck with plot cancer for the rest of his miserable days and the endings are in fact the endings. I won't go back to the middle of the game, play another heap of meaningless sidequests, even if they're fantastic, all the time knowing that V is going to die horribly in a few months and is going to behave like an asshole while he's at it. Shame.

Probably gonna be a pass for me. Feel kinda bad for the old gens but i was kinda expecting it since 1.5. Seems like theres not alot of games too look forward too in the future, so ill keep my options open but unless the expansion has something i really miss for cp2077 ill probably skip it and move on.

I am definitely buying the expansion, I am too invested into lore and story, so I want to see more.
My thoughts about expansion so far:
  • events will took place during main plot for sure, I just don't see a way to continue the game after endings even though I want to. Because V is basicaly a plant or engram after Devil ending. We are leaving NC in Nomad ending and then somehow return there, what the point of leaving then? In Sun ending we are going to mission in Crystal Palace and there is no way they just skip all this and say 'go explore exp content' like nothing happened. And of course Johnny is still there
  • if exp events are occurring during the main story then I hope they will open up to us new route in finding a way to treat V's condition and grant us new ending probably
  • as I feel it, it will be more about *some corp* VS Militech/NUSA thing or about power shift in NC, which is basicaly the same, and you will get a chance to side with President, because it can't be just "Militech/NUSA gov: POTUS crashed in Pacifica for no reason, go and save her, we'll pay"
  • hope exp will continue to touch on themes like AIs, Blackwall, corpo conflicts, Night Corp project, some mentioning of Peralez's story etc
  • will be happy to see cool and iconic characters, like Blackhand, if it's possible
  • there is a glitchy person in teaser who is probably gonna be our new passenger in V's head, I am curious to see what it will be about
It's sad that it will be only one expansion, the only thing left is just to pray that it will be a good one. Hope exp will please in some way those people who were not satisfied with endings (very low probability that it will, I think), who just wanted more CP77 stories, new mechanics etc

Last edited:
During investors chat I asked if they are still aiming for Q1 of 2023 or can we expect some delays and interestingly they answered that release is planned for 2023. It was very safe response but looking on how they got rid of any Q1 which was mentioned earier I wont be suprised if we wont see it until somewhere middle of 2023.

That could be related to a fact they made a decision to release one bigger expansion last year so maybe development will be stretched a bit if they want to put more content than they originally planned.

That is honestly what I am thinking too, especially since they seemed to tease multiple patches before the expansion releases. They hyped up the upcoming overhaul of the police system and things like that... and they don't release patches every month with major content - at least that isn't how it has been.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have some content already built up from having that huge team on the base game for so long... and they are going to trickle it out ahead of the expansion - with the expansion coming out later in the year because of the items you mentioned. I think they want to blow people away with what they release like they did with The Witcher 3 expansions.

I think it is unrealistic to expect that we get Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine in one expansion - that is probably pushing it. But I think hoping we get something the size of Blood and Wine is what we ought to expect given the amount of time put into the expansion.

I loved Hearts of Stone - if they could come up with something that amazing for CP2077 it would be great. But if the expansion has a 10 hour long main story with about 4 hours of extra content tossed in - that would be extremely disappointing at this point. But if we got that Blood and Wine 15 hour long main story with 15-20 hours of side content? That would hit the nail on the head.

I guess what I am saying is that I think they should be aiming for the expansion to have 30-40 hours worth of content rather than 15. I think they know that and I agree they may take the extra time to accomplish that. :)

Well, a 30-second teaser without as much as story synopsis doesn't exactly give a huge amount of info to speculate, but judging by limited titbits that we have, I've reached a certain conclusion:

1. If it really takes place during the main quest - and judging by Silverhand's voice and leaks mentioning Pacifica, there is no reason to assume that it doesn't - then I have no idea how are they going to explain V taking a long detour from their search for cure. If it is true, than there are only two outcomes I see on how it can possibly be integrated within the narrative:
a) it's going to be a complete side story, detached from the overall plot;
b) It's going to be woven into it, probably by promising some sort of cure to V's condition.
Case (a) will further screw over any sense of urgency that the game has left. Case (b) would probably end in an awkward "Well, this promising lead to saving yourself that you had right here? Yeah, it ain't happening, tough luck bud", which would render the overall experience meaningless.

2. This apparently being the only expansion means that it has to be really, REALLY good. And considering that it takes them more than two years to release it, it probably should not only have quality, but also quantity. But even if it will be massive and amazing piece of work on it's own, it leaves us with a third problem.

3. Lack of closure, both for V and overall story. For fuck sake, one of the endings has a quite shameless cliffhanger, with others not exactly tying every loose end either. What's with Mr. Blue Eyes, what about Crystal Palace? What are Aldecaldos going to do to help V? This are all questions that are going to be left unanswered, which I personally don't like.

For now, it's just speculations. The DLC might be mind-blowingly amazing, it might answer all my questions and more - or it might be so good in it's own right, that I simply wouldn't care about everything I've listed here. But as of now, I'm rather cautiously optimistic.

Oh lets stop with this "I dont accept open ending" again. You may like it or not but its not mandatory to have everything said straight to your face and explained. Some games,movies, books are just like that - some we like more, some we like less and lets deal with that. Use your imagination - you can say that your V found a cure with Aldecaldos and have a happy life - dont need devs tell you so.

I`m pretty sure that devs know a problem with side stories while dying as it was acknowledged by Pawel Sasko so most likely they will make a story in a way where you dont feel like you`re abandoning chip problem for a weeks.

It's not about open-endness in itself, it's about main story being rather abrupt and post-endings being the only logical time-frame for additional content. I'm fine with using imagination, I'm very fine with the ending I've got - and i'm pretty sure that professional game devs, who made one of the best, if not the best, games of all time are well aware about all the things that I've listed here, probably more so than I am.
However, like I've already said, there are contradictions that might hamper the overall experience. I want to be wrong and I want them to overcome this issues, obviously - but you know what they say, hope for the best, expect the worst.

Oh lets stop with this "I dont accept open ending" again. You may like it or not but its not mandatory to have everything said straight to your face and explained. Some games,movies, books are just like that - some we like more, some we like less and lets deal with that. Use your imagination - you can say that your V found a cure with Aldecaldos and have a happy life - dont need devs tell you so.

I`m pretty sure that devs know a problem with side stories while dying as it was acknowledged by Pawel Sasko so most likely they will make a story in a way where you dont feel like you`re abandoning chip problem for a weeks.

It’s a perfectly valid criticism though. Although implied denouement can work, it really depends on the story in question and what its needs are e.g. it works really well for David Fincher‘s Zodiac. Whereas if LOTR ended with the audience never knowing if the Ring was destroyed, that kind of ending probably wouldn’t have worked. Just depends on the story. Personally I don’t like how the main conflict of CP77 is left unresolved and essentially ongoing, so I hope this ties things up.

Really hyped for this expansion ! Specially with this Deus Ex vibe that we feel during the teaser :)
Just hope this extension will have a long length time (specially if it's really the only expansion of CP2077) in plus having same quality as blood and wine ;)

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, they neglected to mention this little bit...
View attachment 11316767
They happen to state, quite a while, that there's going to be AN EXPANSION to the game, implying that there will we only one. However, as the game seems to came back with a a bang, with enough interest in the Edgerunners show and if the Phantom Liberty is successful and brings even more interest to the game, they might decide that it is ecomicaly sound to come up with the second expansions. Definitely possible, but wouldn't hold my breath. It's possible they skip second expansion in favor of the next CP game, this time on U5 engine.

Deviating rather from the topic but in fairness, Witcher 2, at least in the final edition with new cutscenes, ends with a scene of the Nilfgaardian army thundering through (admittedly, the rest of the third act of W2 annoyed people for being bizarrely perfunctory anyway). It's not completely inconceivable that V's fate could be dealt with or could have been intended to be dealt with in a sequel (although it would be unusual given how personal the stakes are).

If the expansion did happen before the end of the base game I'd remain happy because my preferred ending has a sense of finality to it.

Last edited:
You might have noticed the changing numbers at the very end on the teaser.
Any ideas?
All are connected to the cyberpunk timeline, especially events concerning the US. My theories would be.
249 - Countdown to the release? Or, more symbolic, 249 years between 1776, when the US was born, and 2025 when US was reconstructed into NUS. Or something completely else.
1994 - The Collapse
2004 - Gang of Four eliminated by CIA and US Military. First Corp War
2007 - Second Corp War
2010 - End of Second American Conflict
2013 - First Arasaka Tower goes down. Original Cyberpunk timeline's "NOW"
2020 - Cyberpunk 2020's "NOW"
2023 - Secont Arasaka Tower goes down. Second Collapse begins.
It can suggest that, as it wasn't obvious from the teaser, the expansion will revolve heavily around NUSA political, corporate, social and military affairs. A coup maybe. Kress gets tired of the Militech's puppet and returns with the old guard to save the country for the third time?

If they are going to make the expansion "pre-ending" content - then I have to imagine it will be an additional ending(s) that can be achieved. My guesses would be it will add two ending possibilities.

1. With the focus on Edgerunners recently and how you make your rep by dying - it would not shock me if there is a blaze of glory ending where V dies doing something super awesome.
  2. I also imagine they add another happy ending that includes V being cured.

Top Bottom