Announcing Gwent and bolstering Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Why do you care if other people are done yet? Just stop reading the thread if you personally want to be done with it.

I'll go ahead, and throw in my two cents about both the exclusive physical items, and associated fan outrage. Personally I think the fan outrage while not totally justified, or warranted. Is a good thing. When a company has nothing, but smoke blown up its ass it can quickly loose sight of its self, and go down the EA, Ubisoft path in a heartbeat usually leading to financial disaster, or at least a failed game release. So I believe this is nothing, but good for CD project Red as a company. Now as far as the excluded content that will only be effecting a fraction within a fraction of people that are buying the collectors edition. I can say that I feel for them not getting the entire collectors edition. Especially when paying an incredibly high amount of money for a single game is smarts real smarts. Especially for the people that will really keep those items, and cherish them for decades.

I will continue to support the company as I've always found their ethical values of the highest order, but without providing a detail explanation of why the Xbox-One gets special treatment, this incident will reduce their standing with some of their fan base.

Well technically of course they are partners in the legal definition(I was thiking more along the lines of Bandai Namco/WB when I said that earlier, my mistake). What I mean is the difference between CDPR-MS and CDPR-Sony relations. Anyone can see MS and CDPR favour each other. Exactly how much Sony and Witcher do you hear together?

CDPR got a chance to get on the MS stage at E3 quite a big thing. So if the partner who game them as big a chance as E3 live stage demo asks for something in return you think they won't oblige and ruin their relationship?

Not if you have values. That's practically a bribe; and CDPR had no obligation to fulfill any of Microsoft's requests. They invited CDPR to the stage, CDPR accepted, they should NOT expect anything in return. Expecting something in return is being self-centered and egoistic, Microsoft is in no position to demand or expect things from "partners" unless there was some monetary or contractual obligation; in which case, both sides knew of the deal, but did not choose to announce it to their customers prior to this announcement.

My $0.02: I'm quite annoyed by this, and I'm not even getting the physical release (gog all the way). Seeing as how it is CDPR of all devs and The Witcher of all franchises just adds insult to injury. It isn't about a bit of paper and cloth in a box most of us will just hide in the back of some shelf, this is about the gesture and what it stands for. I held CDPR to a higher standard - which is why I have the luxury to feel aggravated about this issue now.

Still, yeah, not happy about this.

Hey CDPR!

Why have you decided to give preferential treatment to XBOne?
Why betray every other game collector or fan on the other platforms?
Why after all you have done would you shit on us like that?

This just looks like a blatant case of selling out your core principles. I have nothing against MS, XBox, or XBox gamers, but to shaft your fans so you can pocket some extra cash from MS is pretty disgusting, and something you used to stand against.

Where are you principles? I can understand MS using every tool it has to claw its way back in to the next gen fight, but to take their money and give them special treatment is the antithesis of what CDPR is/was renowned for.

Exclusivity is anti-gamer, and anti consumer, but most importantly its saying that one group of fans are more important to you. That you would deny certain things from fans who are just as supportive, give you the same level if income is indefensible. How much money was it that would cause you to give the finger to the majority of your fans? (there are more PC and PS owners then XBOne owners by a factor of at least 4-1). Was it worth tainting your image, and flushing one of your core values down the toilet? Can we expect more of this in the future? How much money will it take for you to offer exclusive content, or hell even platform exclusivity?

MS is doing what it can to to build and promote its brand, what you've done is devalue your own.

I am an avid collector and you now providing exclusive physical items to one platform is nothing short of betrayal, especially to those who like me have been ardent supporters back with the first game! Even so I would be just as angry at a PC exclusive. I thought better of you, but it seems that any principle can be beaten down with enough cash. For shame!

I am livid, and beyond disappointed. Why would you do this to you BIGGEST fans?
We collectors are more vested than most, and for that reason this betrayal hurts more.

How big a fan am I?
I own:
2 copies of The Witcher Collectors Edition
2 copies of The Witcher Enhanced Edition
The Witcher 2 Collectors Edition
The Witcher 2 Premium Edition

But now I will not be able to get the most complete edition of the CE for my platform because you find taking money from Microsoft to be more important than your fans.

What could possibly make you think its ok to fragment you fan base? Why would you say that the section of fans is more important than another? Why you tell long time fans and new ones alike that their money and support if literally worth less than another groups?
Why have you betrayed one of your founding principles for dirty money?

Great post. Really all this does is hurt and anger the biggest fans that CDP has. Which is why it is so completely nonsensical.
Of course many people are like "get over it, just cards and map" and what not, but these people just don't get it :)

Seriously guys, should we expect more exclusive content in the future? DLC for the Witcher 3 exclusive for Xbone? Or maybe Cyberpunk 2077 exclusive for Xbone? Dear CD Projekt Red please remember that not everything is worth the money and Your fans just say that because they are passionate and they love Your games and Your values. Do not turn Your back on gamers. You're gamers yourself, how would You feel?

• Still, I do hope that what we offer is unique and we can ask you to give us the benefit of the doubt. We have more great things to announce for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the coming months and I promise you won't be disappointed (yes, yes, there are no more exclusives coming).
- Marcin Iwinski.

inb4 but they said X before!
Not my problem, I'm just quoting the statement.

I go to bed and what I see when I wake up is a lot of doom sayers. I don't think it's as bad as some people here say it is. For me it's a minor incident, but I'm a still bit annoyed. My previous words weren't correct. CDPR didn't betray any promise, but I think that they have ventured into a shady area where I didn't expect to see CDPR.

Oh, by the way, while I'm not really upset or anything by this move (as previously stated), I wouldn't mind if the cards and map were put on sale at a later date separately as some sort of special merchandise pack. Pretty sure it's not going to happen, but one can hope.

You really don't have to insult other people or make fun of them just because you don't understand their motivations or you don't share their feelings.

To me this decision is a sign of disrespect to some of their oldest and most passionate fans, those who buy a PC CE. It's the last entry in a long chain of events and statements which show that CDPR lost their identity as a PC and "indie" developer. They are now part of the console money train and as a PC gamer at heart I don't personally support that. Maybe others don't care, but I do.

Last edited:
Truly disappointed, I used to be a very adamant Bioware supporter over the years, watched them descend into corruption and ruin as many other devs in the industry.
Then CDProjekt Red came about with fine sentiments. a smaller, european studio who was able to come off as a bright light and building unusual trust.

Like previously, I bought Special/Collector's Editions from you guys not because I was enthralled by its baubles but because I wished to support the Developer fully, not only preordering a standard edition but the most expensive ones in a time where we can just download what we want for free or oppertunize on a strong Steam sale.

Anyways, I'm starting to see familiar statements and hints from CDRed that we've seen in the past from other now dead or withering studios, and I don't like it.
Now this isn't the most dramatic and insane scenario thatt's been but nevertheless its left a stain on our trust and loyalty.
It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation , but you can lose it in a minute.

The only side I'm disappointed with is this part of the community that's (over)reacting so vehemently. I don't have statistics, only my intuition to tell me that it's a small part at that. Very loud one, though. For players who are attracted to a series known for its maturity and complexity, there's a strange tendency here to see things as very black and white, and at a shallow level.

I'm under the impression that people treated CDPR's words as a gospel. Though that's not an accurate comparison because religious writings are usually delved in to and beckon interpretation, while here people just read the word "equality" and never bothered understanding to what it was referring to, and in what [/i]context[/i] and by who it was made.

It was referring to the video game, not out-of-game extras. As a video gamer, I don't feel the least bit bothered. They can gift a replica of G'valchir to PS4 users for all I care, as long as I receive the same game content. And it was made in the context of a business industry, by a business company. Even if the business is something as fun and positive as games, it's still a business. Money plays a factor. Almost feels as if people begun seeing the REDs as philanthropists.

I don't think CDPR betrayed their values (got it in more dramatic?). People took "equality in the game content" and took it to mean "ultimate equality in every single thing pertaining even indirectly to the series, outside the core game experience". That is almost childish, and when you mistakenly hold a standard that's unreachable in the industry at hand, it's inevitable that sooner or later you'll get burned. CDPR are not to blame here, they can't be accused of "misleading", because that would mean the course of action they should have taken would be to add a paragraph of disclaimers to every single sentence they announced in public, because a portion of the fans deal in absolutes and don't understand things in their context.

Besides, I'm more of a consequentialist anyway. If this business move means receiving a bit of a backlash now by some avid collectors (not gamers) and in return having a much better financial basis for their next game - or better yet, for the Witcher itself - then I'm all up for it.

Does this mean nothing can be condemned because everything comes down to being a choice of money? No. Especially not when a company waves certain values. These values, however, were not broken. They're not removing game content from certain platforms.

Then the doomsayers will come with the Slippery Slope argument. I never found it convincing, though, least of all in this case. First, I feel it's coming from the same juvenile position that's painting divine boundaries around CDPR, and it's impossible not to break these boundaries. Second, usually Slippery Slopes are very extravagant. Posts here are certainly that. I have not seen one modest complaint about this move. Everyone does the very extreme jump from "today it's card games, tomorrow it's game content". Third, these claims aren't detailed. There wasn't one persuasive argument that connects out-of-game, extra collector content to in-game content.

Top Bottom