Announcing Gwent and bolstering Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Funny how the PC and PS4 CE sold out at Best Buy but the Xbone CE (with its extra goodies) is still available. Does anyone wonder why the industry as a whole is losing billions in sales and all the studios are laying off and closing? Maybe consumers are tired of being lied to like this. I would rather Xbone had "exclusive" content first. Don't really mind the "FIRST" thing as long as I can download it for my platform later. But I can't download a deck of cards later for the Witcher. And I had this preordered way back in June when it was announced before E3 but now I can't see why I should pay more for my platform and get less than the Xbone.
The PC and PS4 should have gotten their own exclusive goodie in their CE box too. Guess the price wasn't right eh CDPR? It's ok though, I got plenty else to play and better place to spend $150 too.

Collector's Edition (w/ no decks of cards and a cheap paper map) now canceled....

I think that the problem isn't differentiation but the same price for both CE (PS4/PC and ONE). It's pratically "pay the same price, have less".

Or pay more for the same stuff.... why don't you lead you disappointing about the same price for all the countries no matter the high/low incom per capita?

Sadly, We can scratch whatever we want to find inequalities of any kind. But doesn't mean we would be fair.

i think this thread should be closed, there is no need for more excuses for one part and flames for the other part.

from 107 pages the conclusion is:

PC and PS4 owners don´t get extras goodies
CDRP deliver a blow in there fans trust

case closed move on

Just buy the XBOX-ONE CE, sell the game that's in it, buy the standard PC/PS4 version...Voilà...The complete PC/PS4 CE, with the cards and the cloth map. Case closed.

No... Just Cancel your existing PC or PS4 preorder. Don't buy the game. Play something else. You know there's more then enough on your backlog.

Jupiter_on_Mars

@Marcin Momot ,

Thanks for stepping in. I appreciate it.

Not to further pressure you, and then again, to put further pressure on you :D, you'll remember your closing remarks in the «Ask us a question and get your answers at Gamescom 2014! » thread:

Thanks for leaving your questions! The topic is now closed - that will allow us to go through the inquiries. Expect the video to be dropped during gamescom 2014

Gamescom ends tomorrow.
Has the current crisis made you change your mind with regard to releasing said video or can we expect it by tomorrow?

Much obliged!

I am little bit surprised by all the hatred CD Projekt Red has been receiving over a smart business move.

Lets look at it from their point of view. When The Witcher came out not many people knew about it so the money they made could have never rivalled someone like EA, but to make matters worse they lost money from the sales "The money from the first game had been burned trying to clear up the mess of The Witcher: White Wolf, the console game that never was" (Purchese, 2013).

Further to this "The Witcher 1, the game CD Projekt Red initially predicted would take 15 people to make, would end up taking 100 people five years to make, and cost an unprecedented 20 million Polish Złoty (the equivalent of around £12-£16 million in today's money, Iwiński believes). More importantly, adds Iwiński, "That was all the money we had. Plus some.""(Purchese, 2013).

Despite all of this DLC for Enhanced Edition of Witcher 1 was free.

The Witcher 2 also has its ups and downs "The Witcher 2 was very nearly canned, and the entire company almost collapsed." (Purchese, 2013). By trying to stick to their DRM free policy "The result is roughly 4.5 million illegal downloads. This is only an estimation, and I would say that’s rather on the optimistic side of things; as of today we have sold over 1M legal copies, so having only 4.5-5 illegal copies for each legal one would be not a bad ratio. The reality is probably way worse." (Iwinski, Grayson, 2011).

Despite all of this DLC for Enhanced Edition of Witcher 2 was also free plus the REDKit

Lets not forget that for Witcher 3 their company needed to employ more people to meet the needs and demands for the game."The company employs over 230 world-class GFX artists, animators, programmers and designers, both Polish and foreign." (CD Projekt, n.d). Everyone needs to be paid which includes investors.

"Plans for 2014-2016:

Releasing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014) and Cyberpunk 2077. Both are triple-A titles with extensive development budgets, top-of-the-line production values and excellent marketing potential." (CD Projekt, n.d)

To get more exposure they got a stand at E3 with Microsoft, both 2013 and 2014. They succeeded, because on many YouTube videos (since the first The Witcher 3 trailer) you can see/read many comments from people that have for the first time heard of the game and/or never played previous two.

Of course Microsoft would have tried to get something unique for their console to boost their sales, I don't think Sony is any different for that matter. The overwhelming positive reaction CDPR got from their trailers made them attractive business agenda for Microsoft. Adding additional two items does not make them sell outs. Everyone will still have same game content.

CD Projekt Red is a business, without money they do not exist. A business has employees, assets, marketing... for all of that you need money.
I respect CDPR and wish them great success.

I am in no way affiliated with CDPR, just a huge fan of The Witcher games

CD Projekt (n.d.). Business profile. Retrieved from https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/Capital_group/Business_profile

CD Projekt (n.d.). Market strategy. Retrieved from https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/Capital_group/Strategia_rozwoju

Grayson, N. (2011). Interview: CD Projekt's CEO on Witcher 2 piracy, why DRM's still not worth it. PC Gamer. Retrieved from http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/29/interview-cd-projekts-ceo-on-witcher-2-piracy-why-drms-still-not-worth-it/

Purchese, R. (2013). Seeing Red: The story of CD Projekt. Eurogamer. Retreived from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

Last edited:
It was a 120-page comic book. And a cloth map and cards aren't really integral to the game either. Agreed about it being country/retailer specific rather than platform, but if we're discussing "spirit of the law" compared to "letter of the law", my understanding is that you think that the "spirit" is for everyone to get the same. Amazon customers getting a significant extra is breaking that just as much as the current deal. The only real difference seems to be that it's Amazon, not Microsoft.

And that the comic is also separatly available to buy for 30 Euros ;)

No... Just Cancel your existing PC or PS4 preorder. Don't buy the game. Play something else. You know there's more then enough on your backlog.
I don't see anybody complaining when they add DLCs or other content to the games for no extra price. If this is reason enough for you not to buy the game... good luck playing anything at all ever.

@Marcin Momot ,

Thanks for stepping in. I appreciate it.

Not to further pressure you, and then again, to put further pressure on you :D, you'll remember your closing remarks in the «Ask us a question and get your answers at Gamescom 2014! » thread:

Gamescom ends tomorrow.
Has the current crisis made you change your mind with regard to releasing said video or can we expect it by tomorrow?

Much obliged!

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...gamescom2014?p=1388597&viewfull=1#post1388597

sorry...but ITS NOT THE SAME GAME CONTENT.

Tired of hearing that. If it was the SAME I'd would've preordered the standard edition. Personally, I think I must be nuts to give my $ to these developers on this collectors editions "junk". Now, those of us that do buy this stuff get burned cause they make some "shady" deal over production money that slights 2/3 the audience. If were gonna pay $150 for this "garbage" I expect to get the whole can....

Top Bottom