Annoying HoS "underground drug factory" battle, and what it says about W3

+
There should be some way of disengaging from combat if you just want to run away, without forcing you to do combat rolls 3km down the road or trapping you in battles like this case.

Yes I hate this stupid "auto combat engage" with Geralt automatically turning and always running towards any enemy and refuse every try of running away when fleeing is necessary. It`s a deadly combination of softlock + auto-switching to some combat stance which takes away any active player control of the protagonist for some complete stupid auto-circling-mode around the enemys with no chance to escape if necessary.
Modders got rid of this stupid new softlock targeting that hasn`t been there on Witcher 2 but haven`t got rid of this stupid auto-combat-stance-mode also not present in Witcher 2 where Geralt cannot move, jump, and cannot change running direction anymore.
In Witcher 2 I never faced that problems and I NEVER died because of this new stupid and not changable control scheme.

Because I altered the power of signs and alchemy and therefore play on high difficulty to keep the game interesting and exciting 2-3 monster slashed can kill Geralt and I died several times because the Game does not allows to leave combat stance or changing the run direction before not having made 3 kilometers of combat rolls away from the enemy (because normal running is impossible and Geralt always again auto-turns in the direction of the enemy and runs right into his death before a Gamer can even react in panic tries to change Geralts running direction again).

Maybe you should try this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...itcher3/ajax/modimages/?user=0&id=409&gid=952

This might help, I will try it out tonight. :) Was too lazy to merge this mod to the others for 2 weeks now, but after playing some of the fine Witcher 2 controls in Witcher 2 it is really serious time for this mod.

Last edited:
Have to dig this up because I'm currently stuck on this quest - Geralt is lvl 38 (almost 39), I play Sword & Story and Geralt keeps dying *argh* Some of the hints in this thread are really useful - like luring the enemies to the clouds of gas and then just set them on fire. I like that one :) Has anybody tried to Axii those guys? I thought that maybe I can manipulate them into killing each other *g*

that battle is hard, but perfectly manageable... especially if you use your brain... you are witcher, you have potions... one Golden Oriole, and those poison clouds are your advantage... poison wont hurt you, but will hurt them... then you can pick them up, one by one.... finished it several times on Deadmarch difficulty...

I'll try that next time I play... luring them to the poison clouds sounds promising :) Staying in there and letting Geralt be surrounded is definitely not working for me so I'll have to trick them. I guess I'll just try everything I have, from bombs to poison clouds to potions... maybe also switch to another armour. Geralt currently uses mastercrafted cat gear; maybe he needs something heavier.

There's not just the boardwalk, there's also a fairly large side area that's poison-gas free but where you need to go THROUGH poison gas to get there. I found it by accident on the last playthrough. If you've taken Golden Oriole, you can get to it quickly and just wait for them to reach you. By the time they do, they're already half dead and still dying. And if you use bombs too, they're even deader. :)

regarding armors, try using one with big slashing/bludgeoning bonuses, but piercing is also a good to have - these will give you better chance to survive any hits from their weapons.. with some good heavy armor, you can easily get 40-50% damage reduction against swords, which is always good to have...

There's not just the boardwalk, there's also a fairly large side area that's poison-gas free but where you need to go THROUGH poison gas to get there. I found it by accident on the last playthrough. If you've taken Golden Oriole, you can get to it quickly and just wait for them to reach you. By the time they do, they're already half dead and still dying. And if you use bombs too, they're even deader. :)
I like the sound of this *g*

Armours: I'll have to check out what I actually have in my inventory, armourwise... I still haven't done all the treasure hunts for Witcher armour (only cat gear), I know I have the plans for the armour of the Order (at least parts of it), and I still got that mastercrafted armour they made in Crow's Perch - the Witch hunter's armour. I'll also check out the new smith; maybe he has something I can use.

Yep the extremely long load times is my biggest complaint with this game. There were several times in the game where I would dodge roll in a fight and end up getting stuck in rocks, boxes or other objects, if you had the ability do to a simple jump in combat that would not have been an issue.

As for the SSD suggestion, nice thought, if only MS offered a SSD feature on their XBoxOne :)

This battle actually ended up being pretty easy once I upgraded to superior Tawny Owl. The potion doesn't have a timer on it at night, so if you enter the drug den during the evening hours and activate Tawny Owl, you can keep abusing Quen to your hearts desire. Looking back, it is probably one of the more poorly designed combat encounters in the game, though.

Top Bottom