Anti-Aliasing is pretty bad (PC) (Mostly Ultra graphics)

+
So I've really been enjoying the PC experience of Witcher 3 when moving to PC. But the AA seems pretty bad, it looks basically the same when i turn it on/off. The image makes it look a lot better but if you look at the foliage you can kinda tell. If i'm nitpicking, please tell me.

20181001221328_1.jpg

Personally, I don't see an issue here. For an open world game from more than 3 years ago, it still looks very good to me. And I can't recall any better looking open world RPG from that time.

Besides, there's probably not going to be a patch anytime soon (again, it's 3 years old...).

I can empathize with the observations, but it's simply the nature of the engine. AA works best while using the in-game options. I've had no luck using Nvidia AA overrides / enhancements on my end.

Specular mapping is also a bit "glittery", especially in dark environments. Setting AF to 16x as an enhancement in Nvidia CP seems to smooth it out a bit.

I wouldn't let it ruin your day. The engine is absolutely beautiful overall, and the gameplay doesn't really rely on fine-tuned post-processing. ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I don't see an issue here. For an open world game from more than 3 years ago, it still looks very good to me. And I can't recall any better looking open world RPG from that time.

Besides, there's probably not going to be a patch anytime soon (again, it's 3 years old...).

Yes i really suppose i'm nitpicking, game looks great. I'm just gonna overlook this.
Post automatically merged:

I can empathize with the observations, but it's simply the nature of the engine. AA works best while using the in-game options. I've had no luck using Nvidia AA overrides / enhancements on my end. In-game AA seems to work the best.

Specular mapping is also a bit "glittery", especially in dark environments. Setting AF to 16x as an enhancement in Nvidia CP seems to smooth it out a bit.

I wouldn't let it ruin your day. The engine is absolutely beautiful overall, and the gameplay doesn't really rely on fine-tuned post-processing. ;)

Yes the game looks amazing, especially for a 3 year old game. I will just overlook it.

The games release on day one three years ago, people were all over the AA straight away being sub par. This isn't due to the games age. I remember this distinctly because I was one of the people trying Nvidia control panel tweaks to sort it.

Ultimately they chose a rough version of FXAA, which got complaints so they eventually added in the sharpening tool. This was all due to the performance of the game which on PC has never been too great, as it's a console port with everything on the game working much better at the development target of 30fps.

With the new RTX card you can get 4k 60fps because of the tons of overhead on those gpu's. So naturally the game runs well on that hardware, despite the inherent bugs especially from the recent patch. 4k with AA eliminates all the shimmer.

The game is three years old however comment doesn't fly, because even then this was bargain basement AA, and not the current quality of PC AA at it's time.

The game is three years old however comment doesn't fly, because even then this was bargain basement AA, and not the current quality of PC AA at it's time.

As I stated above, it's the nature of the engine. The shimmer is actually a result of it being too precise, similar to the intense white "glitter" that appears on metal bits or wet material in stark lighting conditions (like torch light in a dark cave). Basically, if the engine can draw a single pixel for something, it's drawing it. Naturally, the fewer the pixels around it, as would be seen in distant areas or fine details in specular mapping. Every engine has quirks like this. It's not something that can be fixed, as it's not broken. It's working exactly as it was designed. It's just that some people are bothered by the results.

4K would naturally improve this and it uses more pixels in a smaller space, making the shimmer literally microscopic. It's there, but AA at that scale will mask it so that the human eye can't detect it.

It would be nice to have the option to choose TXAA:ROFLMAO:
have you tried a reshade with more smaa or fxaa?

It's possible to mitigate it a bit, but not to get rid of it completely (not at 1080p or 1440p, at least). Frankly, I agree about temporal AA -- I can't stand it. By nature it just makes everything fuzzy and blurs every single texture whenever a scene is in motion...which is constantly in most modern games. Given as it's so demanding, I'm not...100% sure...what it's going for.

Top Bottom