Any chance The Witcher 3 get MANTLE support?

+
I am curious about this too. Dev's are you considering support for Mantle or DirectX 12 which its core programing is based on mantle? I mean windows 10 is around the corner. DX11 is old and shitty to mantle or DX12.

I would like to know cdprojekt's . My ATI R9 290x would love mantel support for Witcher 3, my card doesn't like dx 11 much :p

It would be a better use of resources (and make their Nvidia partners more happy :p) to add DX12 support. According to the latest benchmarks, Mantle and DX12 perform similarly on AMD cards while DX12 gives a similar boost to Nvidia.

AMD does not support Mantle anymore now that standard solutions are around.

More exactly, AMD donated Mantle to Khronos, and it will be part of Vulkan. How much penetration Vulkan makes into the gaming trade will be determined in a year or so by the market.

More exactly, AMD donated Mantle to Khronos, and it will be part of Vulkan. How much penetration Vulkan makes into the gaming trade will be determined in a year or so by the market.
Y es I'm aware of this thanks.

But will cdprojekt's support DX 12 ? and Mantle isn't yet finished. :)

Y es I'm aware of this thanks.

But will cdprojekt's support DX 12 ? and Mantle isn't yet finished. :)

Mantle is not going to be finished, Vulkan will be. Mantle is what it is now, for engines that already use it, and I do not imagine there will be any further adopters.

DX12 support is likewise not a "given". There has to be a damn good reason, measured in dollars, euros, or zloty, for taking on that much work. A handful of fans wanting it because it is the latest technology is not a compelling reason at all, especially when you consider it will not run on the systems the fans have now.

Intrigued... howso "not run on the systems the fans have now"?

I thought it was benchmarking on fairly standard "modern" kit. (970s and 980s, with i3, i5 and i7 CPUs). Seems around what a "reasonable"? number of people will be running, if not already then in a short period.
The framerate improvements come from improvement to pipeline management between GPU and CPU, and works with DX11 cards (Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell). There are other driver features however that will need a DX12 card (at least this is what MS said in Jan... (2015-1-22)) Has that changed?

Yes... but Win10 will be available without charge as a full unlimited license to all non-enterprise users of Win7 or 8, if they upgrade in the first year. (Including pirated copies iirc).

Not really considering "free" to be a barrier to use (if it doesn't stink of course).

Last edited:
Yes... but Win10 will be available without charge as a full unlimited license to all non-enterprise users of Win7 or 8, if they upgrade in the first year. (Including pirated copies iirc).

Not really considering "free" to be a barrier to use (if it doesn't stink of course).

pirated copies will upgrade, but only to a unlicensed version of win10.

Thanks. I wasn't really paying too much attention as I have an OEM 7x64 from when I first built this machine. But I did recall something about pirated copies being included in the upgrade scheme...

Some might be dubious of the wisdom of broadcasting that they use a pirated OS to the developer...

DX12 is windows 10 only I thought... GuyNwah correct me if wrong :)

Windows 10 only, indeed. That's still in tech preview. Probably won't be any significant number of systems in user hands before fourth quarter. You sell a game now, it has to be for what user have now.

DX12 support is likewise not a "given". There has to be a damn good reason, measured in dollars, euros, or zloty, for taking on that much work. A handful of fans wanting it because it is the latest technology is not a compelling reason at all, especially when you consider it will not run on the systems the fans have now.

Vulkan will run on a wider range of systems. I guess in the long term, CDPR will surely invest into rewriting their engine with modern APIs, it just makes sense. But whether that will be used to re-release TW3 with updated engine is less clear. For example FWH re-released Shadow Warrior using DX11 and OpenGL 3.2+ (in contrast to their older DX9 release). Not in order to add graphical features, but to improve performance. And it did improve quite a bit. May be CDPR will do that as well for TW3 at some point in the future.

Last edited:
@Lieste Yes but win 10 is not available right now so fans do not have system that can use dx12 right "now" as he stated... was what I was pointing out ;)

pirated copies will upgrade, but only to a unlicensed version of win10.
Which might be problamatic for me... I have a valid license BUT I have a streamlined DVD for install and it'd be seen as priated even though I bought a system with win7 hmmm

Of course if developers have access to APIs (like those who participate in Khronos for example), they can already play around with them in their engines and provide feedback how to improve things. That's what's happening already. But until it's official, they won't release anything of that sort.

So if CDPR are interested, they can participate in Khronos too.

Last edited:
Of course if developers have access to APIs (like those who participate in Khronos for example), they can already play around with them in their engines and provide feedback how to improve things. That's what's happening already. But until it's official, they won't release anything of that sort.

So if CDPR are interested, they can participate in Khronos too.

They can also participate trying it on windows 10 with dx12.. Just to get a feel of it. see how it works. Maybe down the road release a patch that updates support to dx12 when its fully released. The benefits of api's is so much better. Playing dragon age inquisition using DX11 is ok, it works but swapping to mantle there is a huge difference in gaming performance.

I hope devs are at least going to do something about it in the near future since win10 is going to be released soon.

Top Bottom