Any chance The Witcher 3 get MANTLE support?

+
Any chance The Witcher 3 get MANTLE support?

Today AMD released mantle low apu for BF4 and performance increase is alot, BF4 is a DX11 made game and patched with mantle today so not pure mantle game.
AMD 7970 HAD A 25% increase in performance and high end rig 290x xfire setup with high end cpu had 58% increase but was not optimal becouse the top intel CPU's will see a nice inscrease but not as huge as lowend CPU'S
Starswarm is pure mantle game and it have a increased of around 300% thats insane.

Mantle will benefit most by midrange and lowend PC that can handle the GCN AMD cards HD7000/8000/260X(later also 270x)280x/290/290x.
It will help with high end CPU but less the lowend.

Many don't have highend pc but still have one of those cards and AMD cpu who will benefit alot if mantle was supported for The Witcher 3.

So will it support AMD MANTLE(i hope)?

What about nvidia cards? Will nvidia users be abandoned in favor of new tech?

Last edited:
Isnt MANTLE AMD only? Thought so... so for Nvidia Cards no boost at all i believe/think.
And i also assume there will be no Mantle support because the game is nearby completing progess and optimation work... (hopefully)

Isnt MANTLE AMD only? Thought so... so for Nvidia Cards no boost at all i believe/think.
And i also assume there will be no Mantle support because the game is nearby completing progess and optimation work... (hopefully)

It appears that mantle supports cards with GCN architecture only. That would mean no current nvidia card works with mantle.
Nvidia could develop card with GCN architecture but that would mean abandoning their own architecture and technology and that's never gonna happen.

Its OPEN SOURCE so its not AMD(AMD are not so evil they share;) ) but nvidia who need to deside include MANTLE in there drivers or not.

Intel and Nvidia said they do not care about Mantle when AMD talked to them about it.

Nvidia released like a week ago that it's just going to further soptimize and support DirectX 11 and OpenGL to do what AMD's Mantel API is doing.

There are also rumors that Microsoft's DirectX 11.2 can do what Mantle can do possibly way better than Mantle.

Even when nvidia deside not to embrace mantle it still good for PC gamers in general it could bring more to pc and maybe console players who can't afford expensive PC can now play TW3 on a less expensive pc but with performance only the HIGH END cpu's of intel can manage.
Buy a 150$ AMD cpu instead of a 400$ intel cpu and you prolly get almost same performance with mantle.

Guys it benefit all those who can't afford expensive rigs the intel and nvidia idea's cost alot more and keep most on there consoles or keep playing DX11 games in crappy graphics. AMD help those that don't have alot money and even highend benefits.
I know most of you are nvidia or intel fans but anything that help give PC A BOOST i wanne see succeed.

I have a high end pc so i don't really need the boost.
But im PC GAMER 100% and rather see more pc gamers and games develop for my favorite platform then stay on the damn console, mantle will help with boosting PC.

Not really sure that the people in this thread fully understand what Mantle does. Mantle is specifically for AMD Radeon 7000+ GPU's. It improves performance of the GPU by transferring data from said GPU to the game much more quickly. It is an AMD replacement of DirectX and OpenGL. It would not work with nVidia GPU's but that doesn't mean you cant play using one. nVidia users would still get to use DirectX and get the same performance they always have.
Most likely if Mantle was added it would be an option under video settings that you could only select with a compatible card, so nVidia people don't have to worry.

Not really sure that the people in this thread fully understand what Mantle does. Mantle is specifically for AMD Radeon 7000+ GPU's. It improves performance of the GPU by transferring data from said GPU to the game much more quickly. It is an AMD replacement of DirectX and OpenGL. It would not work with nVidia GPU's but that doesn't mean you cant play using one. nVidia users would still get to use DirectX and get the same performance they always have.
Most likely if Mantle was added it would be an option under video settings that you could only select with a compatible card, so nVidia people don't have to worry.
You know Microsoft is working on developing DirectX 11 to match AMD's Mantle API if not be better than AMD's Mantle API right? Also Nvidia is working to further optimize and support both DirectX 11 and OpenGL to match or pass AMD's Mantle API. There were rumors that Nvidia is pushing Microsoft for this. Competition is amazing.

Hmmmmmm.............

Here is a good link on what mantle really is and what it really does
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...s-actually-for-boosting-low-end-cpus-not-gpus

Also, Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia will make changes to DirectX to make it perform better. Once this happens most of the hype surrounding Mantle will die down and go the way of the dodo bird. If any of you think Microsoft has not got on the horn with Intel and Nvidia you are plain nuts. Once these changes go into effect most Devs will abandon Mantle. There is no logical reason for them to continue support. If anything openGL needs to be built upon and used by Devs more. DirectX has a huge ecosystem, It is not going anywhere and once improved will remain atop the hill, unless openGL takes off. I can openGL but not mantle going some where. Besides if AMD was as "open" and "free" as many of you seem to believe they would have used openGL and ran with it. The fact they did not should tell you all you really need to know about AMD. They are a business they need to make money like anybody else. They are trying to create a proprietary service with the facade that it is open. It is far from open...... Now "OpenGL" is open.......truly open.....hence the name. Also if AMD starts selling more CPUs and GPUs as a result of mantle, Guess what happens? Prices go up not down. So those looking for the cheap game rig will be quite dissatisfied if Mantle takes off and I am wrong that it will not. Take for instance in the states right now AMD GPU are the same price or even more as their NVidia counter part. Thanks to crypto currency Mining where AMD is the leader when it comes to GPU performance bar none. Demand drives prices up. To clarify AMD isn't your friend giving stuff away for free. None of them are. I own AMD,Intelm and Nvidia. I like them all for different reasons. SO I hope the fanboys wake up!!!

Hmmmmmm.............

Here is a good link on what mantle really is and what it really does
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...s-actually-for-boosting-low-end-cpus-not-gpus

Also, Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia will make changes to DirectX to make it perform better. Once this happens most of the hype surrounding Mantle will die down and go the way of the dodo bird. If any of you think Microsoft has not got on the horn with Intel and Nvidia you are plain nuts. Once these changes go into effect most Devs will abandon Mantle. There is no logical reason for them to continue support. If anything openGL needs to be built upon and used by Devs more. DirectX has a huge ecosystem, It is not going anywhere and once improved will remain atop the hill, unless openGL takes off. I can openGL but not mantle going some where. Besides if AMD was as "open" and "free" as many of you seem to believe they would have used openGL and ran with it. The fact they did not should tell you all you really need to know about AMD. They are a business they need to make money like anybody else. They are trying to create a proprietary service with the facade that it is open. It is far from open...... Now "OpenGL" is open.......truly open.....hence the name. Also if AMD starts selling more CPUs and GPUs as a result of mantle, Guess what happens? Prices go up not down. So those looking for the cheap game rig will be quite dissatisfied if Mantle takes off and I am wrong that it will not. Take for instance in the states right now AMD GPU are the same price or even more as their NVidia counter part. Thanks to crypto currency Mining where AMD is the leader when it comes to GPU performance bar none. Demand drives prices up. To clarify AMD isn't your friend giving stuff away for free. None of them are. I own AMD,Intelm and Nvidia. I like them all for different reasons. SO I hope the fanboys wake up!!!
Exactly. I also have a feeling AMD's Mantle API will be the next Glide.

Exactly. I also have a feeling AMD's Mantle API will be the next Glide.

The funny thing is guess who owns Glide API?? Nvidia I wonder if they are kicking around the idea of re-releasing it after a considerable make over, or just use the name. It has nostalgia with PC Gamers. Buying 3dfx was a good move by Nvidia. Lots of nice patents and stuff.

Well according to the lead dev of the new engine for Stardock (the demo of the ships battle in space), they made the engine from scratch for DX, and then the guy working alone, in just two months, added support for Mantle and the game/demo ran a lot better even that early.

Even when Nvidia users might not be able to use it unless Nvidia radically changes, if Mantle is that easy to implement as it was for this dev, it would probably be worth it.

Plus at the end, the consoles will get older and older, and if Mantle proves to be better, the devs for console games will need to adopt Mantle to keep improving games in said aging consoles, and so REDengine might need to implement it in the future anyway.

Well according to the lead dev of the new engine for Stardock (the demo of the ships battle in space), they made the engine from scratch for DX, and then the guy working alone, in just two months, added support for Mantle and the game/demo ran a lot better even that early.

Even when Nvidia users might not be able to use it unless Nvidia radically changes, if Mantle is that easy to implement as it was for this dev, it would probably be worth it.

Plus at the end, the consoles will get older and older, and if Mantle proves to be better, the devs for console games will need to adopt Mantle to keep improving games in said aging consoles, and so REDengine might need to implement it in the future anyway.

Consoles already use a low level api even more efficient than Mantle. Mantle will never be used on Consoles. Also, DX is getting tweaked as we speak......I can see a release date by this summer/fall. AT most maybe 3 to 5 games with Mantle support will release in that time. Plenty of time for the other teams to counter strongly!!

Last edited:
Consoles already use a low level api even more efficient than Mantle. Mantle will never be used on Consoles. Also, DX is getting tweaked as we speak......I can see a release date by this summer/fall. AT most maybe 3 to 5 games with Mantle support will release in that time. Plenty of time for the other teams to counter strongly!!

I know that consoles use a low level API already but i don't know enough to compare their performance with Mantle, I'll have to take your word for it but could you point me to an article perhaps that explains that console's API are more efficient than Mantle and why?

And yeah DX is getting tweaked most likely, wich is exactly the best thing Mantle brings to the table, a bit of competition, a bit of a wake up call to others.

Edit: And one more thing, dont you think that if DX is indeed getting these adjustments , MS will make them windows 9 only?

Last edited:
Mantle initially wasn't well explained by AMD. Instead they steered the press into thinking they are bringing over X1 low level optimizations to PC (GCN).

Source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7431/amd-blog-post-the-four-core-principles-of-amds-mantle

This, sounded really good because in theory, someone developing for X1 would have very little trouble significantly enhancing the PC version of the game [on the hardware similar to X1's - GCN. As well as future AMD hardware] though it was always unlikely to see other "players" to use mantle.

Now, we know a lot more about the API and we know that this is not really the case. CDPR programmers said in an interview with itallian PC Gamer that a lot of what Mantle does can be done with OpenGl. And since Mantle is less likely to be implemented by other GPU makers it's the worse alternative.

Source:
http://pc-gaming.it/witcher-3-intervista-al-capo-programmatore/

Translated Fragments:
http://www.alivegamezone.com/2013/12/21/cd-projekt-red-is-skeptical-over-amds-mantle/

So the way i see it. Mantle is not out of the question sometime after The Witcher 3 is released (not at all unlike Battlefield 4). But only if others prove it's really worth it and also only IF there is no OpenGl version of the game that does the same trick.

Well i hope it succeed its always good if not only MS/INTEL/NVIDIA dictaded the gaming scene.
Most of you nvidia fans should applause this what AMD lately do releasing cheaper videocards and mantle not only you nvidia guys suddenly can afford some higher end videocards becouse priced dropped so they can compete with prices AMD(they still to expensive comepare to AMD cards) and mantle that give people with lowend/midrange pc's better fps in games.

Competition is always good for all this seems sometimes nvidia fans don't like and want expensive card or just buy lowends but can say they have nvidia:p

Im happy with my MSI 290x GAMING 4G and its a beast of card for 522euros and 2 free games:)

Top Bottom