Any chance to increase card name lenght to 25?

+
Any chance to increase card name lenght to 25?

After the midwinter update the decision to bring back full character names was a great and needed change. However the maximum length of a name was decided to cut down to I believe 20, which limits some card names and forced them to be changed to daft ones.

Examples (should be / was -> is currently):
Margarita Laux-Antille (22 chars) -> Margarita of Aretuza
Ronvid of Small Marsh (21 chars) -> Ronvid the Incessant
Yennefer of Vengerberg (22 chars) -> Yennefer
Champion of Champions (21 chars) -> Champion of Hov
Drummond Shieldmaiden (21 chars) -> Drummond Shieldmaid

Some not so lore-tied (I think):
Dol Blathanna Marksman (22 chars) -> Dol Blathanna Bowman
Dol Blathanna Trapper (21 chars) -> Dol Blathanna Bomber
Mahakaman Pyrotechnician (24 chars) -> Pyrotechnician
Blue Mountain Commando (22 chars) -> Blue Mountain Elite
Tuirseach Beastmaster (21 chars) -> Tuirseach Bearmaster
Stammelfords Tremors (21 chars) -> Stammelfords Tremor

and of course
Shupe's Bizarre Adventure (25 chars) -> Shupe's Day Off

I think increasing name length to maximum of 25 (or heck, even 22) would negate most of the problems in terms of card names, whereas it being 20 it is just a few chars short.
It's funny how to me this brings a major headache when I see a card suffering from a name it shouldn't have just because the name it should be is a few characters too long.
These are just from the top of my head, be sure to let me know what I missed.

Last edited:
OFFTOPIC:
Didn't want to make a new topic for this as if I recall correctly this has already been discussed.

The other thing bothering me very much is that why are Ulfhedinn and Hym Skellige cards as by all logic they should belong to Monsters?
More illogical this is made by the fact that Morvudd / Woodland Spirit are in Monsters despite being Skellige unique monsters
:thinking:

as a side (and potentially contrary) note... I find some of the name overly specific and or repetitive... why do we need clan names in card titles when we have them in their categories? and mixing generic locations with generic activities generally sucks for distinguishing cards from each other. proper character names, I'm 100% behind the length of them, but how many generic dol blathanna etc cards will be saddled with before even CDPR can't really distinguish them any more?

Margarita and Ronvid annoy me every time I see them played due to their current name. I would fully support card names being longer again.

Concerning Location/Clan names:
There are some cases for sure, where they don't make sense necessarily, but at the other hand they add a lot of flavour. Dol Blathanna Marksman is a lot better than Marksman on its own. Also, it allows further distinguishing different cards. For both the Nilfgardian and Redanian Knight, the Location is unecessary, but without it, both cards would have exactly the same name. Or Heymay and Dol Blathanna Protector. And the number of different knight names without Locations that can be added is limited.

So, I don't really see what can be done about this.

So that's why they changed the names, interesting, didn't know that. Yeah they could increase it to 22 or 25. Just as long as the names don't get too long for the upcoming mobile version, because I'm still looking forward to that. Gwent could use the support of another market anyways I think.

Top Bottom