Any decks that make you feel frustrated?

+
What makes me frustrated is the Double Down mode. I think it's the second best special mode, however, I think the way they set up Nilfgaard's spying abilities is for lack of a better word.. [. . .]. Why can someone put a spying unit on my side and also take cards from my deck when the only card that it's acceptable to be able to do that is Cantarella. I get it, when one plays a card on ones side of the field, one draws the same provision number. Therefore, if someone plays a provision 4 spy unit to my side of the field they shouldn't be allowed to take a 4 provision card from my deck and play it as theirs. If it's spying and being put to my side then that 4 provision should go on my side of the field, as the 4 provision unit is on my side of the board. It's the stupidest part of any version of this game. No other mode or game play allows for a bull shit emissary to draw cards from the other players deck. The player drawing a card like that should draw a 4 provision from their own deck, or like I've already said that 4 provision being drawn should be placed on the same side as the spying unitl.
salty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I got absolutely sick to death of Nilfgaard. Doesn't really matter which "tactic" is deployed (though to be fair there's only ever two decks, and both are published META's, so again says all you need to know about the Gwent "community").

Everything about it is just absolute garbage, makes you hate the game. It's rancid. Whether it's milling your 13 prov cards with a handful of shitty 6 prov cards, or repetitively, endlessly seeing the same decks time and time and time again wtih joachim, artaud, etc., it's an auto quit for me, can't bear the sight of it. If they literally removed the entire pathetic faction from the game, the game would be instantly infinitely better overnight.

[...]

Edit: Just to add, the overabundance of net decking in total will always make this game feel stale and boring. Unsolvable issue, because people will be people.

Edit: Just to add, the overabundance of net decking in total will always make this game feel stale and boring. Unsolvable issue, because people will be people.

I don’t think this is necessarily true. Oh, some people will always play net decks — either to experiment with other’s ideas or because they don’t enjoy the deckbuilding side of the game. But this wouldn’t have to be boring. If CDPR would focus more on balancing CARDS and less on balancing a small handful of meta DECKS, we would see a lot more variety between archetypes and within archetypes. But this might come at a cost to the quality of play if one deck gets out of hand.

I don’t think this is necessarily true. Oh, some people will always play net decks — either to experiment with other’s ideas or because they don’t enjoy the deckbuilding side of the game. But this wouldn’t have to be boring. If CDPR would focus more on balancing CARDS and less on balancing a small handful of meta DECKS, we would see a lot more variety between archetypes and within archetypes. But this might come at a cost to the quality of play if one deck gets out of hand.

You're probably right. CDPR don't seem to have the faintest idea what to do half the time.

Megascope, except you have greatswords so it's 4 prov for 10 points. Tunnel drill, with brain-free set up, can smash through 20+ points a single turn. Similar numbers for Freakshow. Gord and its' 20+ point brain-free set up. There's no creativity because the decks are utterly myopic. They call it "archetypes" but effectively that means about 15 cards that blatantly were designed to work together, often in overpowerd ways, with a further 10 overpowered bronzes, meaning players always consistently ignore the other 400 pointless/useless cards.

The ideas are mind-blowingly stupid as well. Mamunna another example where they couldn't foresee how stupidly broken it was. What about Foltest and the stripes? It's like they forget their stupid Echo cards make it easy to use Parvetta and get insane value for low provs. It perhaps wouldn't be so tragic, but if you don't have the answer to that deck, you're in trouble. Some examples:

- I used a SK weather deck and did not play ONE NR deck, where my row effect would have been useful. I literally faced similar SK decks more often than any other, so when I'm doing damage, they're enjoying it.
- I tried a ST special deck and player NG's disruption so often it became sickening, couldn't get anything to stay on the board more often than not running into Amnesty to take my 3 pt elves. Similarly, had mill decks where Traeharn is able to just throw Simlas into the Graveyard. Or a VW can destroy Gezyras. Pathetic.
- I tried a NG Mages deck, with thinning to try and get me big points from Yenn or Triss, multiple times ended up against a mill deck which perfectly counters the thinning.

There's no reward for creativity and although the forum police back up the claim thare's no fixing in matches, it's the fact it FEELS rigged that means the game just isn't in a good place.

I don't think there's ever been a season since HC76 (been a while since I used that term) that has seen more than, say, 8 decks in constant rotation. Add in the binary issue (deck a always beats deck b, deck b always beats c, deck c always beats a) and the mindless RNG of the deal (oh, look, my opponent has drawn Portal and neiher 4 prov cards - I have one 4 prov card, portal in the deck and Madoc in hand), and you have a woeful game that feels tragically stale.

Last edited:
Lately playing Gwent has become a chore, and I do regret buying the latest Journey. The game continues to be beautiful beyond comparison, but I realized I'm getting more and more annoyed at the end of a playing session (which also has become noticeably shorter). I just don't seem to have the patience to keep facing very good decks and trying to adapt new remedies after my losses, I'll just try to complete this journey and take a long hiatus.

For clarification, the game's still very good, but losing a close match is very different than losing by a ridiculous margin - especially when you analysed your plays and realized nothing you could have done would change the outcome.

Lately playing Gwent has become a chore, and I do regret buying the latest Journey. The game continues to be beautiful beyond comparison, but I realized I'm getting more and more annoyed at the end of a playing session (which also has become noticeably shorter). I just don't seem to have the patience to keep facing very good decks and trying to adapt new remedies after my losses, I'll just try to complete this journey and take a long hiatus.

For clarification, the game's still very good, but losing a close match is very different than losing by a ridiculous margin - especially when you analysed your plays and realized nothing you could have done would change the outcome.

Agreed, hence the post elsewhere on the binary nature of the game.

I only played to do something different. It's so painful to see so many players NR stripes, MO relict or NG spying endlessly. Each to their own, but I don't know why people don't explore the fun to be had instead of just copying a META and (what must feel like) grinding victories.

If everyone just decided to kill net-decking and homebrew instead, the game would be brilliant. Oh and just completely reset goddam Nilfgaard. I face it at least 70% of the time and it's toxic af, it's why I pulled the game, it's just shit. They either do exactly what they want with OP thinning, or screw around with your deck. Horrible.

I've gone back in to have an objective look. Honestly, I think CDPR have just lost the plot. It's absolutely, utterly and relentlessly boring as ****. It's the same cards over and over and over again. Nothing interesting, nothing different. I couldn't even bear to think about watching these tournaments, they must be dull as dishwater. I've used Shupe, weird dragons, a Waylay meme, etc. I get beat time and time again by the same boring, shitty decks on repeat.

The game is just utterly irrelevant.

Last edited:
Nilfgaard cards and ability are cheated but i dont know how but they are still losing everytime 🤣🤣 i play with the north or with monster it toxic to play against them but [...], somehow it concord with the story in TW3 if you dont do everythink to make Nilfgaard won they lose 😆😆 i dont know how they because in the third war they have the mages they are allies with scoia'tel they have money and a large empire while the temeria is hunting their mages, managing with the temerian refugies, they are poor etc they only have those drunk pirates of skellige who are indirectly helping them who are no united themselfs
Nilfgaard suck

Not enjoying the NR mages. Very repetitive, because they are so consistent.

Actually, all decks I face are just shit. Repetitive boredom. Spellatel, NR mages, or a couple of varieties of NG and SY. I burns your eyeballs.

Last edited:
Commandos, Madoc decks, any tier 0 deck in unranked, and drill.

Special shoutout to Viy and Lippy. Gone for now, but not forgotten.

Every deck. The game is set up to piss you off.

"Oh, let me add some NR Mages who are row locked." Next three opponents - ST movement or White Frost.

"Oh, Melusine looks fun." Next opponents - NG, with Yenn:Invocation played on Melusine every time.

"Maybe I'll try this ST spell deck, might be interesting." Next opponents - NG, playing a billion lock cards.

Anything that boosts - Yrden. Anything important - Heatwave. Mill/Clog, nothing you can really do but rely on a deal.

Every deck. The game is set up to piss you off.

"Oh, let me add some NR Mages who are row locked." Next three opponents - ST movement or White Frost.

"Oh, Melusine looks fun." Next opponents - NG, with Yenn:Invocation played on Melusine every time.

"Maybe I'll try this ST spell deck, might be interesting." Next opponents - NG, playing a billion lock cards.

Anything that boosts - Yrden. Anything important - Heatwave. Mill/Clog, nothing you can really do but rely on a deal.
You forgot Cahir and unitless lol....

You forgot Cahir and unitless lol....

Oh, mate - if I could give my scraps and cards to someone, I would. I'm this close to terminating my account, so sick to death of the temptation of playing this rancid frigging game.

It's either play removal, or get beat off the less than 4 or 5 META's in constant rotation. Unless you play the counter. But if your counter deck faces something you didn't design it for, you lose. It's utter crap and shows no signs of ever recovering from the catastrophic errors of Homecoming.

Edit: F*** it, I'm out, for good. Can't do it anymore, not worth the aggro. Plus it's rigged/fixed, don't give a toss what anyone says. The sheer volume of times you face an "anti-your deck" is insane.

Last edited:
scojatel and spell a magic ball in double spell mode I haven't seen anyone get 40 points so fast at the beginning of the second round with two cards anyone. Has some good northern decks to recommend?

I can only repeat myself: Nearly 2k hours in and there're plenty of decks that really annoy the shit out of me and often lead to an instant-forfeit. I don't care much about the ranking anymore, as I homebrew all of my decks, ignoring any of the super-duper decks you constantly face arount Rank 5 upward.

- Scoia'tael "All-Traps-until-the-end-point-slam" Decks.
- Monster Relic Decks. (Seriously CDPR, get this shit together, completely kills the spirit off the game)
- mostly any Nilfgaard Deck, especially the newer ones.
- I guess I won't have to mention the "all-the-same" syndicate decks.
- Northern Realms Blue Stripe Commando/ similar quadritrilliniply Decks with Pavetta.
edit: - forgot the Scoia'tael Deck with the all new Spell-Cards which you can instantly forfeit if you don't have the last turn and an apropriate card to kill the dwarf in the end.

Sure, you can handly those deck with the appropriate counters, but seriously, where's the fun in building a counter deck for a special case and waiting until it occurs? I wish there were more players with creative and well balanced homebrewed decks. Gwent really is a beautiful and truly addicting game, but with all these uber-decks reappearing over and over and over again, it completely kills the soul out of it.

Oh and one last thing - Where's the fun in: You lead in the last round, I pass - so you win but still you play all your left cards? That's some dominance-thing I am too uncompetitive to relate? I consider this kind of a bitch-move which stops me from giving you a GG, like for the above decks.

Last edited:
Oh and one last thing - Where's the fun in: You lead in the last round, I pass - so you win but still you play all your left cards? That's some dominance-thing I am too uncompetitive to relate? I consider this kind of a bitch-move which stops me from giving you a GG, like for the above decks.
Completely agree, I never GG anyone who plays more cards than needed to win a match. I compare it with someone who keeps moving chess pieces when they have already checkmated their opponent.

Plus it's rigged/fixed, don't give a toss what anyone says. The sheer volume of times you face an "anti-your deck" is insane.

Yes, I've noticed the EXACT same thing. There are obvious algorithms that match you up against your deck's counter if you play a deck that lacks counters to certain things. The game intentionally does this as your winrate gets too high.

I noticed this months ago, the real metagame isn't against other players, but against the devs themselves, who are trying to make you lose. So you actually have to craft decks that out-think the matchmaking algorithms, and use decks that the game's matchmaking system doesn't understand, to climb the fastest and easiest. That is what I've noticed for over 6 months now. Figuring out ways to include unused cards really seems to sneak past the algo's, but of course those cards tend to be trashcan so it won't help you win. It takes a bit of creativity but I've been able to do it for a long time, but lately, the matchmaking algo's are really good and will serve your "deck counter" 9 times out of 10.

You assume there is no point in playing more cards. What if I have been burned once too often by an overlooked Mahakam Horn? What if I am completing a quest? What if I am attempting a contract? What if my goal was not to win but to challenge myself another way — e. g. How much vitality can I pour on one unit? What if, God forbid, I interpret your pass as a request to see my remaining cards (since you could have forfeited otherwise)? Please don’t, in your impatience, always ascribe bad motives to your opponent.

I can only repeat myself: Nearly 2k hours in and there're plenty of decks that really annoy the shit out of me and often lead to an instant-forfeit. I don't care much about the ranking anymore, as I homebrew all of my decks, ignoring any of the super-duper decks you constantly face arount Rank 5 upward.

- Scoia'tael "All-Traps-until-the-end-point-slam" Decks.
- Monster Relic Decks. (Seriously CDPR, get this shit together, completely kills the spirit off the game)
- mostly any Nilfgaard Deck, especially the newer ones.
- I guess I won't have to mention the "all-the-same" syndicate decks.
- Northern Realms Blue Stripe Commando/ similar quadritrilliniply Decks with Pavetta.

Sure, you can handly those deck with the appropriate counters, but seriosly where's the fun in building a counter deck for a special case and waiting until it occurs? I wish there were more players with creative and well balanced homebrewed decks. Gwent really is a beautiful and addicting game, but with all these uber-decks reappearing over and over again, it completely kills the soul out of it.

Surely Spell'a'tel with Gord too.
You assume there is no point in playing more cards. What if I have been burned once too often by an overlooked Mahakam Horn? What if I am completing a quest? What if I am attempting a contract? What if my goal was not to win but to challenge myself another way — e. g. How much vitality can I pour on one unit? What if, God forbid, I interpret your pass as a request to see my remaining cards (since you could have forfeited otherwise)? Please don’t, in your impatience, always ascribe bad motives to your opponent.

Or the OP could be right and just doesn't GG the opponent, it's not like they're punching the oppo in the face!

When I played, I actually saw GG as the opposite - as a means to say to someone "you did well, fair play". I would GG about once every 10 or more matches, because anyone rolling a META - which was 90% of decks - simply didn't/doesn't deserve it.

GG should be earned.

Still mill... Idk why the devs went into a fanatical overdrive to support this style of gameplay. With stuff like Snowdrop + NG Vhooris leader, Sunset Wanderers, buff to the Imperial Golem etc. this deck just has too much pointslam for the toxicity it is able to do.

Top Bottom