Any of the original beta players still playing Gwent?

+
Playing a true archetype with significant deck consistency is fun.
It can be. I used to love my mulligan and movement decks.
It also can be very frustrating playing against one. Remember NG mill deck. A consistent archetype deck that was hated more than the unitless decks all together. Same goes for spellatell decks. I think people forget sometimes that during beta there were 2-3 such archetypes for each faction, and about half of them were hated by pretty much everyone, either because of annoying gameplay (as the examples above) or just because 60-70% of the matches you'd get the same deck playing against you (such as weather monsters or queens guard SK).

That's the whole point I wanted to make. There are no real archetypes anymore. Instead, we have a combination of "packages", for the lack of a better term. And because of this, decks have a lot more variety.
Yeah but now, you just put the strongest Combos together and tada, your deck is finished. There is no real synergie, you have to be aware of.
But i think this is going offtopic.

Yes, played since open beta. To add my two cents I think this is the best CCG out there, warts and all, though my criticisms are as follows:

* I don't like the slow creep of RNG worming its way into the game. That's the reason I left Hearthstone many years ago. It has constantly been in flux (remember those annoying slave driver decks?) but I really hope it doesn't get truly out of hand.

* I miss armour and thought it was a great mechanic, not sure why it was removed. Hopefully someone will point out why. I quit Gwent for about six months, just before Homecoming was released. My guess is that unless you're playing against removal/damage decks armour is kind of limp.

* Syndicate net decks are stupid atm, but I trust they'll be balanced soon. I mean deploy is a one shot ability, order can have limited/replenishable charges or cool downs, but unless the unit has zeal or immune the opponent has a chance to counter it in some way. Syndicate units that depend on coins to activate abilities have the best of both worlds with the only weakness being the player needs some way to generate coins. So far it seems like that is no problem at all and the opponent has no way to tamper with your coin pool. Eh, whatever.

* Bring back Radovid! Northern Realms seem a little lacklustre in general, they're the faction I see least from rank 10 or higher, a far cry from that faction's beta halcyon days.

Beta players might have left the game because it went into a different direction than they had hoped, but, at the same time, many new players could have joined precisely because of the game's new direction.

I still like the game. Overall, it has improved compared to beta, even though some things were better back then. Also, when you spend enough time, a game can grow on you.

Honestly I am more afraid about the precedent this creates. A company changed significantly the core of the game disregarding the money invested by players who enjoyed the past version.

One could argue that everyone got value out of their money, but I don't think that customers expected to have their purchases taken away from them in a couple of years. Because of that, purchases in Gwent hold no consistent long-term value for the user anymore. They could change their mind at any time and take the content from you again.

And if this game success, I'm afraid that it might be a matter of time until some other game we enjoy gets changed drastically. At that point it's pure luck whether you like the new product or not.

I would think twice before supporting practices like this one.

Honestly I am more afraid about the precedent this creates. A company changed significantly the core of the game disregarding the money invested by players who enjoyed the past version.

One could argue that everyone got value out of their money, but I don't think that customers expected to have their purchases taken away from them in a couple of years. Because of that, purchases in Gwent hold no consistent long-term value for the user anymore. They could change their mind at any time and take the content from you again.

And if this game success, I'm afraid that it might be a matter of time until some other game we enjoy gets changed drastically. At that point it's pure luck whether you like the new product or not.

I would think twice before supporting practices like this one.

I haven't played heartstone but from what i read about it the expansion cards there are removed from the game after a couple of years, meaning that you know in advance that some cards that you payed for or invested time getting are going to be taken away from you in a couple of years time. So a precedent was set long before gwent and it didn't drive away HS fans.

CDPR changed the game drastically, no doubt about that, but they did it at the end of beta and refunded the cards. Does blizzard do the same when they remove the cards? (I'm really asking cause i have no idea).

In general though its something you have to prepare for when you buy/play a game in beta state. Things might change, or it might take forever to finish the game (not to mention games that stay in ealry access or beta forever), and you might not like the results.

Last edited:
In general though its something you have to prepare for when you buy/play a game in beta state

This doesn't really apply here. The beta game didn't change into something else, it was abandoned entirely after CDPR took huge amounts of people's money. How can you prepare for that? I don't think any game company in history has ever done that.

It would be like If you invested money in a business and then the business owner shut down said business. They use your money to open another business though without refunding but say they can give you stock in new business.

It sounds so wild because it was wild, you cant expect/prepare for that kind of twist.

The beta game didn't change into something else, it was abandoned entirely after CDPR took huge amounts of people's money. How can you prepare for that? I don't think any game company in history has ever done that.

It's called beta for a reason and the game is delivered as-is, without any promises. That doesn't give the studio a carte blanche to do whatever they want, but, at the very least, players should be aware that the game is still in development and subject to change. Also, plenty of companies have changed their game, which happens the most with Early Access games on Steam.

Guest 4305932

This doesn't really apply here. The beta game didn't change into something else, it was abandoned entirely after CDPR took huge amounts of people's money. How can you prepare for that? I don't think any game company in history has ever done that.

It would be like If you invested money in a business and then the business owner shut down said business. They use your money to open another business though without refunding but say they can give you stock in new business.

It sounds so wild because it was wild, you cant expect/prepare for that kind of twist.

Everyone who think spending money in an online game, especially during a beta, is an investment is just preparing himself to a disappointment.

Plus people spent money for cards in a card game and it's still a card game.

I think that business investment analogy isn't an accurate one as you can cash stocks out as long as the business runs but lets go on with it. Assuming you invested in a clothing business that decided at some point to change their line from male to female clothes. It's a change but not a illegitimate one, its not like they decided to turn to a burger restaurant. Same here, the game changed indeed, but its not like you payed for a CCG and it turned to an FPS.

I'll give another example, from blizzard again. I used to play WOW from open beta up to the cataclism expansion that changed the game to be much more linear IMO. I bought the original and the first 2 expansions, not to mention the 2+ years subscription, am i supposed to feel cheated?
If you look at a game like WOW, in order to be able to get to the endgame content you have not only to pay for the subscription, you also have to buy every expansion, weather you like it or not. In case you decide not to, its pretty much like you lost all money invested in the game (unless you resubscribe later and get the latest expansions you still didn't get) So again, a game changing and you are being charged and made to buy content in order to continue playing, or ur out and all time and money invested are good as gone.

* I miss armor and thought it was a great mechanic, not sure why it was removed. Hopefully someone will point out why. I quit Gwent for about six months, just before Homecoming was released. My guess is that unless you're playing against removal/damage decks armor is kind of limp.

Armor was reserved for the future Redania expansion.

I've been a beta tester! Played the game for a solid 3-4 months, dropped it because of a lot of reasons, I'm really burned out of this topic so I'll just leave it with that! When homecoming came out picked it up again but I didn't like the early stages of the game, the bronzes were lackluster, the golds were not properly mixed with the flavor of the factions, but with time CDPR amazed me how they can balance and improve the gameplay make it more fluid with much more flavor with every expansion. Crimson Curse was the expansion that made me a die-hard fan and really approved the changes that came with Homecoming. Syndicate was the introduction of a cool mechanics and made you appreciate how good this game is, how skillful you need to be to pilot a deck and how much depth there is to every faction, of course balancing was not perfect, but the expansion was rushed, however that does not made the game feel worse in any way, the patch came up and Syndicate is in a good spot, Bounty needs some tweaking but as a whole I've come to realize that every decision made the game better and better! I'm really looking forward as a lot of other people are, for the bronze rework/buff to the faction bronzes and I think that this patch will WIDE-OPEN the game for new deckbuilding, more factions being viable having distinct strength and weaknesses and I am positive that this patch will feel like a new expansion came out for all factions not only Syndicate being introduced! I love the game what can I say, I'm looking forward for the mobile release! Have a good day fellas!

I've been a beta tester! Played the game for a solid 3-4 months, dropped it because of a lot of reasons, I'm really burned out of this topic so I'll just leave it with that! When homecoming came out picked it up again but I didn't like the early stages of the game, the bronzes were lackluster, the golds were not properly mixed with the flavor of the factions, but with time CDPR amazed me how they can balance and improve the gameplay make it more fluid with much more flavor with every expansion. Crimson Curse was the expansion that made me a die-hard fan and really approved the changes that came with Homecoming. Syndicate was the introduction of a cool mechanics and made you appreciate how good this game is, how skillful you need to be to pilot a deck and how much depth there is to every faction, of course balancing was not perfect, but the expansion was rushed, however that does not made the game feel worse in any way, the patch came up and Syndicate is in a good spot, Bounty needs some tweaking but as a whole I've come to realize that every decision made the game better and better! I'm really looking forward as a lot of other people are, for the bronze rework/buff to the faction bronzes and I think that this patch will WIDE-OPEN the game for new deckbuilding, more factions being viable having distinct strength and weaknesses and I am positive that this patch will feel like a new expansion came out for all factions not only Syndicate being introduced! I love the game what can I say, I'm looking forward for the mobile release! Have a good day fellas!

I have been waiting for good balance patches ever since homecoming released. Basically every patch I just shake my head because they either don't balance at all or don't do nearly enough. This last expansion I figured they would do a moderate balance with it but it was nothing. Cards just sit in the deck builder doing nothing due to being too weak or not fitting in anywhere. I want to be optimistic about this balance patch but it's hard when you have waited so long.

I have been waiting for good balance patches ever since homecoming released. Basically every patch I just shake my head because they either don't balance at all or don't do nearly enough. This last expansion I figured they would do a moderate balance with it but it was nothing. Cards just sit in the deck builder doing nothing due to being too weak or not fitting in anywhere. I want to be optimistic about this balance patch but it's hard when you have waited so long.
[ . . . ] A lot of the patches lately have been spot on! I mean they haven't shaken the game in the major way, but slowly and surely the game becomes viable for every faction! I mean you have the right to be skeptic [ . . . ]. Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played heartstone but from what i read about it the expansion cards there are removed from the game after a couple of years, meaning that you know in advance that some cards that you payed for or invested time getting are going to be taken away from you in a couple of years time. So a precedent was set long before gwent and it didn't drive away HS fans.

That's far from how hearthstone works.

The same way in MTG there's a rotation, in HS cards rotate out of the "standard" game mode into the "wild" game mode only. You can still play all the cards the same and it's a fully featured mode with a ranked ladder by itself. The content and core of the game is still there for you to play.

In case Gwent really grows its card base they will need to come up with some kind of card rotation too to open more space for new cards without breaking the game.
Post automatically merged:

UNO is a card game too and I'm pretty sure everyone would be upset if they decided to change it to a witcher-themed UNO or something. What kind of argument is that?

Guest 4305932

UNO is a card game too and I'm pretty sure everyone would be upset if they decided to change it to a witcher-themed UNO or something. What kind of argument is that?

Gwent HC is not a witcher themed Uno so what kind of argument is that? Gwent HC core gameplay is the same as beta. 1 card per turn - 3 round - who have more points win the round - who win 2 rounds out of 3 win the game.

My point is that you didn't invested money, it was not a kickstarter. You bought something (cards) and you still have it. So they didn't took your money to make another game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwent HC is not a witcher themed Uno so what kind of argument is that?

There, I put the whole conversation so you can understand where I came from. There are many card games and what matters is how you play it.

My point is that you didn't invested money, it was not a kickstarter. You bought something (cards) and you still have it. So they didn't took your money to make another game.

So far I see that "my" cards were changed drastically, and so did the gameplay and the visuals. It may be fine for you, but man, this is not the product I bought.

Yes still playing, just waiting for the bronze balance patch so i can play ranked with my main faction NR, and i really like the current state of the game.

Top Bottom