Anybody Else a Bit Disappointed with the Grandmaster Gear?

+
Anybody Else a Bit Disappointed with the Grandmaster Gear?

So, let me get this out of the way first thing: I love the grandmaster gear. It's probably my favorite thing to come out of Blood and Wine (though honestly, the whole expansion was exceptionally well done). But... I wish it wasn't stuck at level 40. Considering the trouble you go through to get the diagrams (and how much it costs to actually craft the sets), you'd think your grandmaster set must be a significant upgrade. As it turns, they are only a slight upgrade over the Viper Set. Once you get to about level 44-level 45, you will start finding swords that exceed your hard-earned grandmaster swords. Armor also becomes obsolete around the same level.

I really wish the sets were at least a little stronger stats-wise. There is an excellent mod that applies a scaling effect to the grandmaster sets, but as someone who games on Xbox, I'm not exactly in a position to try it out.

Anybody else feel the same?

Noticed the same. Although I didn't mind "low stats" and just used my GM to the end. I wasn't playing Death March so I could do that just fine. Those special armors that you find at the end game are cool and good, but they are all heavy. So not much of a use to me.

I never found armor that exceeded grandmaster O: I don't think I did anyway, I basically just went around with manticore and nothing else thouigh. Going through on NGP+ but I'll let you know if I encounter this problem.

I never found armor that exceeded grandmaster O: I don't think I did anyway, I basically just went around with manticore and nothing else thouigh. Going through on NGP+ but I'll let you know if I encounter this problem.

You don't like looting?

I found several armors and swords better than Witcher GM gear. And that was even before the last special armors
which you can find from Fable world or Unseeing cave. Those are kinda hidden though.

Yes. Considering all the effort they put into it, including the dyes, it's a shame you end up with stronger, random gear in the end.

Last edited:
Just came to mind, that this is actually quite funny thing...

Before expansions people complained that it's pointless to collect ? marks or random loot, because the loot is absolutely worthless. Now that they added stronger "random gear", it's not good either :D

Edit: A question to everyone, me included. What would be the perfect level to get the GM gear? If you get it in the end of expansion, then it's again useless. OR should that GM gear just be so powerful that it's still strongest armor in the end?

I think just few levels higher would be fine, like level 42.

Last edited:

Before expansions people complained that it's pointless to collect ? marks or random loot, because the loot is absolutely worthless. Now that they added stronger "random gear", it's not good either :D

Heh. Fair point. I was one of those bitching about random loot. I don't know what the answer is, but this game's loot system is a complicated bit of design

You can indeed find armor that's better than the grandmaster armor. It didn't take much effort for me to run into it.

Edit: A question to everyone, me included. What would be the perfect level to get the GM gear? If you get it in the end of expansion, then it's again useless. OR should that GM gear just be so powerful that it's still strongest armor in the end?

I think just few levels higher would be fine, like level 42.
In my opinion, there are various ways you could go about it. For example:

1. Leave it at level 40 but bump up the stats.
2. Apply a scaling affect that passively balances the grandmaster stats and level based on Geralt's current level (this is essentially what the mod I posted does).
3. OR, give us an option to somehow 'upgrade' the grandmaster sets such that their stats are improved and up-to-date, without having to recraft them again.

I say this because these pieces are supposed to be the Ultimate Witcher Gear, so there should be an exception to the norm when it comes to them.

Last edited:
yeah, too bad they don't level up, they become obsolete, as we find new and better gear
the possibilty to upgrade them could be a great adition in a next patch

The witcher gear does still remain useful even after it is somewhat underleveled, because of the bonuses (alchemy creations can be used more times, etc.) and higher % resistances. For example, most other types of armor have little to no resistance to monster attacks, while a full set of witcher gear absorbs like half of it. With monsters that hit hard, this can offset the lower armor rating.

I'm disappointed in how it looks, mostly. Except for Ursine (which still has problems with the pauldrons looking odd to me), none of the Grandmaster gears look as good as they could. Griffin is... well, Griffin, honestly. Cat still looks like a tweenage girl took a bedazzler to it. Wolf now also looks like a tweenage girl bedazzled it, and Manticore would be perfect if not for those overly bright sleeves and little curly frills on the shoulders. (Don't worry, PC players who also think Geralt of Rivia would never wear curly frills if he had a choice in the matter - our mod to remove them's almost done.)

Also - the amount of money needed to make them is a bit ridiculous, right? It's as if they said "Hey - we have this unrealistic economy in this game where a character who is always supposed to be poor ends up super rich. Should we fix that? Nah. Just make the stuff more expensive. Inflation or something." Ugh.

I'm disappointed in how it looks, mostly. Except for Ursine (which still has problems with the pauldrons looking odd to me), none of the Grandmaster gears look as good as they could. Griffin is... well, Griffin, honestly. Cat still looks like a tweenage girl took a bedazzler to it. Wolf now also looks like a tweenage girl bedazzled it, and Manticore would be perfect if not for those overly bright sleeves and little curly frills on the shoulders. (Don't worry, PC players who also think Geralt of Rivia would never wear curly frills if he had a choice in the matter - our mod to remove them's almost done.)

Could you post a picture of said frills? I just looked at a few pictures of the Manticore armor, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

What a bummer though. The Grandmaster Legendary Wolf Trousers only has 2 slots. While the Mastercrafted Legendary ones have 4. And you'll only have a slight bump in the armor protection and 3% more stats in GM.

Also, what's funny is that GM wolven gears does not require MC wolven gears. Lol, maybe because the wolven set is technically just a DLC?

I think it part of the balance of the GM gear, it has some very powerful bonuses, both the individual pieces and the set abilities as a whole, well worth to keep even if some pieces offer a better level of armor, for example the Manticore increase the crit chance and damage, very useful - much more than most other armors.

I do agree about the swords, I ditch them pretty fast for something much better.

Yes guys, I understand, what you mean, but I think the special stats of the GM armors and swords (especially by the feline and wolf set) are so good, that it does not matter, that the armor protecion for example is a little bit less than some other high leveled armors... The GM sets are definitely good enough to have a relaxed walktrough in all difficulties!!! And you must remember one thing: The higher the armor level is the harder to reach that... And to be honest I prefer to wear beautiful armors so early as possible in my walktrough and not only at the end or after the main quest line. ;)

@DinkzOfRivia And that you don't need the lesser armors sets to forge the GM wolf set is only a small bug... They will fix it I'm sure... And so at the moment the wolf set is much more cheap than the others... Only bad luck that I prefer cat and bear.
But the combination of wolf swords and the wolf trousers and boots together with the ursine torso armor and gloves look awesome if everything is colored in grew!!! ;) And you have the special stat that you can use three oils at the same time... ;) And that's very cool ( I play "Blood and brolen bones" actually)... ;)

Last edited:
Drinkzofrivia you can go to the ofir enchanter and put more slots in the armor pieces
the grandmaster versions are very very powerful when the bonus are activated, the thing is, you need all the 6 items for the bonus, and there are several swords that deal way more damage than th witcher swords, so without one sword the bonus is not full

The slots addition is only available for swords.

Yeah, I've been adding slots to my gears from time to time, I'm pretty sure this does not include the trousers, gloves, nor boots.

@DinkzOfRivia And that you don't need the lesser armors sets to forge the GM wolf set is only a small bug... They will fix it I'm sure... And so at the moment the wolf set is much more cheap than the others... Only bad luck that I prefer cat and bear.
But the combination of wolf swords and the wolf trousers and boots together with the ursine torso armor and gloves look awesome if everything is colored in grew!!! ;) And you have the special stat that you can use three oils at the same time... ;) And that's very cool ( I play "Blood and brolen bones" actually)... ;)

Three oils plus fixative skill from alchemy tree almost allows you to not ever change oils on your blades anymore. :)
Also, I agree... GM Ursine Trousers & Gloves, with GM Wolf Trousers and Boots underneath are good combination. Trousers and boots are not that noticable when you are wearing Ursine gears anyway, plus gotta love than +% on attack power rather than the AP gain. :)

Also, I agree... GM Ursine Trousers & Gloves, with GM Wolf Trousers and Boots underneath are good combination. Trousers and boots are not that noticable when you are wearing Ursine gears anyway, plus gotta love than +% on attack power rather than the AP gain. :)

Of course you are right! And the knee cop looks much more cool by the wolf trousers... ;) The knee piece looks a little bit funny by the ursine trousers in every stage of the set... :evil: I love such details! ;)

Last edited:
I've been upgrading the feline armour as far as possible but ran out of money and parts (demeritium *argh*) so Geralt has to be on his way again to earn some money and find the missing pieces. Don't think I'll upgrade the other witcher gear as well; some of it is not even mastercrafted because it's so expensive. Maybe I'll have to do all the questionmarks on Skellige after all in order to afford at least GM feline gear and Mantikore *meh*

Top Bottom