Anybody else disappointed with netrunning/cyberspace/hacking?

+
Frankly, I wonder what is the "right way" to portray "hacking" in games and movies. I mean you would want it to be somewhat faithful to the actual act right?

Best hacking mini game:

1614629757647.png

Not because it is the most fun but because it was the most realistic yet APPROACHABLE by any type of player. I also DID find it fun myself.

I started out in mod creation using a hex editor to make tweaks to games like Die By the Sword in the 80-90s. The above mini game reminded me so much of that I never got tired of it in over 1000s of hours of fallout.

And you did not actually need to be a smarty player to feel like a cyber genius playing this hacking game. Like game combat where you can feel like a strong badass fighter with out being a RL buff, experienced MMC champion.

Last edited:
yes, it's very uninspired.
"overheating"
"overheating"
"overheating"
Add Coolit clothing mod and you effectively make enemy netrunner useless (because all they do is ping and overheat). Better yet, add Heat Converter cyberware and make the netrunner your buff bot. Real inspirational tactics!

Add Coolit clothing mod and you effectively make enemy netrunner useless (because all they do is ping and overheat). Better yet, add Heat Converter cyberware and make the netrunner your buff bot. Real inspirational tactics!

just gonna point out, I think they purposefully made enemy netrunners weak, because they would dominate encounters if they played better. Even if they just scaled their damage, and made them use 2 other hacks, you'd probably have to find and eliminate them first in every encounter. And since they can use any camera, and only need line of sight for a second (if at all) I doubt most players want them to be good

just gonna point out, I think they purposefully made enemy netrunners weak, because they would dominate encounters if they played better. Even if they just scaled their damage, and made them use 2 other hacks, you'd probably have to find and eliminate them first in every encounter. And since they can use any camera, and only need line of sight for a second (if at all) I doubt most players want them to be good

For the same reason they minimized it in the table top game?

There has got to be a way to include them more with out it being OP. What do we do in RL? I am no Cyber genius but I can reasonably defend myself with basic know how and safe practices and COMPLICATED and SOPHISTICATED programs (for browsers and PC security) that are made for novice users to fight the exceptional abilities of Russian and Chinese hackers.

Maybe make them frightfully powerful however THEN nerf them if you wear proper mods?

This lets the player decide the pros and cons of their own situation to balance their equipment vrs their skill. My character did not get into the hacking at all (Tec phobic character) preferred to solve problems one bullet at a time. But She would have purchased and used expensive "user friendly" Cyber protection if it was available just like my grandma use the Virus protection on her PC (and knows not to click on links). ;)

Took a long time before I was NOT scared to click on unknown links in the emails in the game. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yeah, enemy netrunners should be able to not only overheat you but blind you, block your cyberware, slow you down etc. For now its really not a thread.

Hacking would be more enjoyable if we had couple of variations instead of the same system all the time.
This lets the player decide the pros and cons of their own situation to balance their equipment vrs their skill. My character did not get into the hacking at all (Tec phobic character) preferred to solve problems one bullet at a time. But She would have purchased and used expensive "user friendly" Cyber protection if it was available just like my grandma use the Virus protection on her PC (and knows not to click on links). ;)
There was very good suggestions regarding enemy netrunners in couple of topics about month or so ago. It is possible with what there's in game already.

Weapons Glitch
Cyberware Malfuction
Sonic Shock: wouldn't cause but dramatic effect, perhaps on last mission it might be a bit different.
Cripple Movement: might be just something frustrating, don't know about that.

Player Self-Ice would nullifies these, but then that's a player choice, but enemy netrunner could have Self-Ice too (probably on harder difficulties). Could change a lot on how mission plays out.

What if enemy netrunner had Second Heart cyberware? I just can't figure out how that could work for stealth players. Same problem with Micro Generator.

Most of above came up in discussion about optional difficulty challenges, some sort of Cybered Up difficulty but perhaps could have other application as well.

These things really affect game balance so there's been little incentive go discuss more about this before perks are fixed.

DEATH OF AN NPC CHARACTER
Becoming a Netrunner should have been more dangerous and "memorable" with characters you meet along your adventures that could be killed for one wrong decision.

nnn.PNG
bbb.PNG

bbnn.PNG
bbbn.PNG

HIRING NPC CHARACTERS FOR PROTECTION
Hiring a mercenary from the Afterlife defending you against oncoming assaults would have created lots of amazing "memorable" moments.
fdd.PNG
ddddd.PNG

ESCAPING DANGEROUS NETRUNNERS
You just completed a dangerous mission now your hunted by Arasaka netrunners who want you dead. You run for your life requesting help from NPC characters, Delemains amored vehicle , or the local train station to escape.
Watch Dogs ★ All Hacks _ Hacking Skills Showcase 【1080p HD】 4-32 screenshot.png

SCANNING FOR THREATS OR INFORMATION INSIDE A BUILDING
Instead of agreeing to join a mission, we decide to sell a securities weaknesses to other NPC characters for Eddie's. We could even bargain a price.
Capture.PNG

MAKE THE NETRUNNER FEEL MORE POWERFUL
After taking over each network, we have more access. Being able to Puppet people and seeing from inside their Point of View.
Watch Dogs ★ All Hacks _ Hacking Skills Showcase 【1080p HD】 9-47 screenshot.png
Watch Dogs ★ All Hacks _ Hacking Skills Showcase 【1080p HD】 1-41 screenshot.png

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

The net in Cyberpunk is quite different from our own and narratively insanely beautiful in it's design,
merging technology and esoterism/religion in quite a unique way.
So in general the net is awesome for scenery and narration but not so much for gameplay, can't really recall any game that pulled anything new out of "cyberspace" that wasn't platforming or puzzle solving and that's when it's not just yet another shooting gallery.

The net in Cyberpunk is quite different from our own and narratively insanely beautiful in it's design,
merging technology and esoterism/religion in quite a unique way.
So in general the net is awesome for scenery and narration but not so much for gameplay, can't really recall any game that pulled anything new out of "cyberspace" that wasn't platforming or puzzle solving and that's when it's not just yet another shooting gallery.
Agree. Gameplay wise it's difficult to find a way to make gameplay in the NET work with Sandevistan builds and in general builds with little investment in Intelligence attribute and related skills.

One way could be breaking story content to segments in and out of NET, that would also solve issue with story content not contributing much towards Atribute / Skills experience.

Narratively / story content wise NET is huge possibility for the sake that tabletop is clever in its approach to AI's. You actually helped me to find sources I used to create this suggestion for example.

The whole "hacking" = running around in VR is the weirdest fiction ever. Everyone freaking does it and I have no idea why.

I think you could compare with an atempt to hack a window 10 server using your MS-DOS 3.0 PC. If the internet requires you to enter cyberspace to navigate its perhaps only an additional challenge to hack systems using a simple comand promt operating system. If the cyberspace shows you spawning hostile programs in the distance wich you would have to detect manually by typing a command into your computer, then why not take advantage of the visuals the system offers to detect the danger before it comes to close?

Top Bottom