Anybody else disappointed with netrunning/cyberspace/hacking?

+
Well, they were able to make hacking a boring minigame that you will get sick of playing after that thousandth time of doing it and turned the cool concept of cyberspace into a some weird puke filled acid trip that seems to have nothing to do with actual hacking and plays more like a bad dream sequence. I remember when a dev said cyberspace will be COOL. uh?

Are you actually mad that they couldn't make hacking (a Process which in the real world is the EPITOME of boring!!) exciting on your 1000th try? I assume you're using hyperbole and got bored sooner.
could it be that your expectations were unreasonably high?
It is my honest opinion that people are way out of touch with unreasonable expectations for some games, these days.

Attachments

• Meme - kids are wrong.jpg
    Meme - kids are wrong.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
Are you actually mad that they couldn't make hacking (a Process which in the real world is the EPITOME of boring!!) exciting on your 1000th try? I assume you're using hyperbole and got bored sooner.
It is my honest opinion that people are way out of touch with unreasonable expectations for some games, these days.

Hello, welcome to the forum.
Honesty does not team up well with insults, in my honest opinion.

You're saying that IRL hacking is quite a boring task, lol, tell that to a hacker.
I rather think that this sudoku minigame proposed as "hacking" isn't maybe the greatest choice. Yeah, in the beginning we can think it's ok, and realizing in the long run that it becomes boring. Just like the looting mechanics or the equipment system for example. That's not something you easily realize in the second (unless you're a game dev yourself*).

I would assume at this point, we haven't seen actual netrunner gameplay, and its coming in a DLC.

However I am disappointed that almost everyone especially NPCS can breach and quickhack you, so "easily".

I have to give them at least a thumbs up for adding a minigame for it. If it is only about targeting enemy and pressing a button - that is the epitome of disappointment.

That said, the minigame that we have is, well, there is only one such a game and its not very intuitive. I have had difficulties figuring out what Im expected to do. And Im usually good at this sort of stuff. Also the hacking tutorial was minimal.

I originally suggested that the minigame would depend on your cyberdeck/software, so you could essentially choose what kind of minigame you liked by choosing your cyberdeck/software. But I guess developing multiple minigames instead of just one was beyond them.

I found Watch Dogs did it better, to be honest.

In this game it's both more complex (or confusing) and less effective.

Frankly, I wonder what is the "right way" to portray "hacking" in games and movies. I mean you would want it to be somewhat faithful to the actual act right?

From what I know about "hacking", it's basically electronic version of breaking into a bank vault. The exciting part is the loot. The actual breaking in is mostly down to finding a weakness or two in the security to exploit - something that's primarily down to intel and luck.

The whole "hacking" = running around in VR is the weirdest fiction ever. Everyone freaking does it and I have no idea why.
This fiction stems from the description of hacking and cyberspace itself in William Gibson's "Neuromancer", which is considered to be iconic to the cyberpunk genre. He described the cyberspace more or less as is depicted on the video from "Shadowrun Returns", except in his books the cyberspace, or the matrix, was described as consisting of mainly rectangular shapes, mostly shiny white cubes - that was the way the "cyberjockeys" were able to perceive it, browse it, and brake through those "ICE" cubes (ICE stands for "Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics")

This magic spell / press a button to hack is kind of stupid.
That's actually the way I'm playing the netrunner. I'm pretending it's a cyber mage. Now if I could only figure out how to make a reasonable facsimile of Yennefer ...

I agree hacking part is bad, they could add wordlists to find in the city, a terminal into computer and run some commands to hack other servers and workstations, to collect information about [spoil] and get anti virus, or new OS for the brain tech

I usually play games as the hacker stealth type. but both aspects suck major ass in this game. I actually like the hacking in watch dogs 1000x better

Hacking in this game is more or less what I expected. The whole matching code segments thing is pretty basic but it works. I more enjoy the environment manipulation and being able to jump between cameras to control things.

Tbh I hoped that quickhacks are only a tip of the iceberg, used in combat when you can't afford to enter cyberspace because of the danger of getting shot.

And that V will be able to perform proper hacks too (not only as a part of main quest), entering cyberspace outside of combat to steal some info from a corporation for example. Alas...
is does work i think, wasnt paying to much attention. one of my hacks happen in an instant no timer. hope it wasnt a bug.

Yah.. hacking is kind bad.. Deus Ex did this one right. However braindance is amazing, minority report mode ftw!!
Braindance is better than I thought, but you only get what...five of them in the game? You can buy them, but cant watch or use them. Really sucks and weird considering how much they were pushing it way back in the early release. Hope they bring them back.
Post automatically merged:

Well hacking is a unique minigame which took me a really long time to figure out what Im even intended to do in it.. (still not 100% sure)

But I planned to make a combat character and ignore hacking.

Hacking took me a while to figure out because it is not explained really at all.

Except that sort of gameplay is what they intentionally removed from the tabletop version of the RPG (cyberpunk 2020 -> cyberpunk red), because what netrunners were doing was too far removed from what the rest of the party was doing.

I don't think they wanted to remind people of that gameplay when they just changed it in the tabletop.

I remember that, but I think they were planning to bring it back because old players complained about not having cyberdecks and wanted to go back to cyberspace. Last I heard they were making both types available, but that was way back. One solution people suggested was for a way to bring the other players in cyberspace as well, although not sure how that would work, but much better than scrapping cyberspace all together.

Personally I just like the concept of cyberspace and want to see it implemented and it should not matter in a singleplayer game. If they have multiplayer they can restrict it to quickhacks or figure a way to bring in the other players too.

Last edited:
This fiction stems from the description of hacking and cyberspace itself in William Gibson's "Neuromancer", which is considered to be iconic to the cyberpunk genre. He described the cyberspace more or less as is depicted on the video from "Shadowrun Returns", except in his books the cyberspace, or the matrix, was described as consisting of mainly rectangular shapes, mostly shiny white cubes - that was the way the "cyberjockeys" were able to perceive it, browse it, and brake through those "ICE" cubes (ICE stands for "Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics")
While I feel we should not stray too far from the core tropes of Cyberpunk least it stops being Cyberpunk. I wonder how many people feel "VR cyberspace hacking" is a "must have" because it's one of the few tropes that's quite hard to logically justify. William Gibson's biggest flaw, I believe, was that he isn't a technical person and he pretty much just made up what sounds good to him when it came to the tech - and "VR cyberspace hacking" is one of those things that don't really make much sense if you think about it.

The matrix game definitely is really boring, not challenging at all. Doesn't even stand next to Gwent in W3

Yeah, I'm not obsessed with netrunning whatsoever. Tbh, I don't love the combat very much; I just went with a broken, unkillable Mantis Blades build to kinda glide through the game, because the gameplay wasn't nearly as good as the story and writing, to me.

Top Bottom